Zalanthan sports

Started by lordcooper, December 29, 2010, 01:03:58 PM

December 29, 2010, 01:03:58 PM Last Edit: December 29, 2010, 01:14:04 PM by lordcooper
I'm yet to see any mention of sports existing in Zalanthas, which seems pretty bizarre to me.  Surely they'd be enjoyed by the commoners as a way to let off steam, keep fit and maybe even get a few sly digs at a [insert race of choice] without getting stabbed in the face.  A GMH or two could get into the business of supplying materials, and maybe taking bets on matches.  As for the Powers That Be, what better way to keep the citizenry distracted, satisfied and occupied with the frivolous?  I could easily imagine teams being raised by a few of the Houses, the Byn and the AOD in Allanak alone.

I've a couple of ideas that I'm considering writing up and submitting as docs, depending on if people think sports fit in with the tone of Armageddon / would be a worthwhile addition to it.

Allanaki sports would likely focus on teamplay and brute force.  Think Mob Football or any of several Olympic sports.
Tuluki sports would be more subtle and refined.  Think gymnastics, golf or cricket.
Ceterum censeo Carthaginem esse delendam

Quote from: Delirium on August 04, 2014, 10:11:38 AM
fuck authority smoke weed erryday

oh and here's a free videogame.

On a large-scale "pro" level there's the arena.

On smaller scale there is tavern brawling, darts, and Giant's Fist.

I've also seen several types of organized racing, but personally I don't think the code supports that very well.

More games would indeed be awesome, but I can't imagine much that would be both fun and doable without major code additions.

This has been considered and is being implemented in 2.Arm
The funny little foreign man

I often hear the jingle to -Riunite on ice- when I read the estate name Reynolte, eve though there ain't no ice in Zalanthas.

Dwarf tossing.
Talia said: Notice to all: Do not mess with Lizzie's GDB. She will cut you.
Delirium said: Notice to all: do not mess with Lizzie's soap. She will cut you.

I don't think much code would need to be added at all.

For something like mob football, we'd only really need a ball (sandstone wrapped in leather, with some sort of handle?) and could emote the rest.

Quote from: Lizzie on December 29, 2010, 01:11:03 PM
Dwarf tossing.

NO ONE TOSSES A DWARF!!!!
Quote from: Twilight on January 22, 2013, 08:17:47 PMGreb - To scavenge, forage, and if Whira is with you, loot the dead.
Grebber - One who grebs.

Quote from: lordcooper on December 29, 2010, 01:15:36 PM

For something like mob football, we'd only really need a ball (sandstone wrapped in leather, with some sort of handle?) and could emote the rest.
There's a reason we have brawl code these days rather than just emoting that out too, though...

Quote from: lordcooper on December 29, 2010, 01:15:36 PM

A use for raptor bladders, inflat them and seal them up.

I often hear the jingle to -Riunite on ice- when I read the estate name Reynolte, eve though there ain't no ice in Zalanthas.

tackle muscular

You successfully tackle the tall, muscular cliché.  You now have the ball.

Tackle could use something very close to the brawl or subdue code.

@ Potaje That could well work, didn't the first football soccer balls consist of a cows bladder or something?

Descending Sun                                                    (General)

Descending Sun is a game that was introduced to Tuluk at the Liberation
Festival in year 53 of the 21st King's Age.  Played atop several platforms
inside the Partisan's Arena, the object of the game is to become the only
person standing on the platforms.  This objective can be achieved in a few
ways. The most common methods are knocking the opponent out and knocking
the opponent off of the platforms.

To play the game, you need to be holding one of the Arena battle weapons
in your hand or hands.  Wield or etwo the weapon.  (Having two weapons
will not increase your chances to hit your opponent.)  Once you have the
weapon wielded and both combatants are ready, the start of the battle will
be announced by a horn. At this point, you will be able to attack your
opponent.

By default, all attacks will aim for the opponent's torso unless you
specify otherwise. Aiming at the head will be more difficult, but
potentially more painful for your opponent. Aiming at the arms may cause
your opponent to drop his or her weapon. Aiming at the legs may cause you
to trip up your opponent--and they might very well fall right off of the
platforms.

[MORE]
   Character skills and stats are taken into account for these battles.
Using the "kill" command or any other combat command (such as bash or
kick) will invoke normal combat code.

RP NOTE:  These strikes and misses are generic for a reason:  you are
expected to emote and roleplay during this game.

Syntax:
   wield <weapon>
   etwo <weapon>
   use <weapon> <opponent>
   use <weapon> <opponent> head
   use <weapon> <opponent> arms
   use <weapon> <opponent> legs

Delay:
   After

See also:
   Games, High Sun, subdue, release
Quote from: LauraMars on December 15, 2016, 08:17:36 PMPaint on a mustache and be a dude for a day. Stuff some melons down my shirt, cinch up a corset and pass as a girl.

With appropriate roleplay of course.

Dwarf tossing.

Yeauh!

There's that... oh yeah, giant's fist, which is only really playable in Allanak i'm assuming?

and there's dice, which, to me, is a bit too complicated to agree on a betting system, and kruth cards, which i've never remembered seeing for sale, which is less complicated and has set rules, but which i don't care for. being a non-sports person who loves gambling, this has never been a problem for me.

a soccer/random ball made of old-fashioned zalanthan leather being kicked around by some kids/adults seems pretty basic and like it would appeal to a lot of people.

do people play Spice Run? i've never seen a game, or the board for it, if there is a board.

i love the darts game though. good job on that.

an equivalent of softball/baseball would be cool. it could be like darts. there could be a hardcoded way to see, in general, how far the ball goes, and a hardcoded way to see which base the batter got to, or if they got out.

maybe have one or two sports being restricted, on a cultural basis, to elves or some other clan/race/city? and if its elves, other races may disdain from playing the game. just a thought
Quote from: Qzzrbl
THAT MAN IS DEHYDRATING!

QUICK! GIMME A BANDAGE!!

Tuluk gets all the love.   :(

Also, now I want to make a Tuluki character, become really good at that game, and give myself a doofy nickname like "Granite".

December 29, 2010, 01:53:28 PM #12 Last Edit: December 29, 2010, 01:58:17 PM by Nyr
It's possible that the platforms could be modified and expanded, or used in other environments.  It was planned specifically so that it could be used generically anywhere.  Just...no one has really developed much IC interest for it anywhere else (or there), maybe due to some initial bugs with it that have since been fixed (at least as far as I recall).  It's not a particularly bloody game, so I don't see it having much direct transfer to the Allanaki Arena.

Indirect transfer, though...if the platform was staged several fall rooms in the air, and getting knocked off meant you (probably) died, yes.  That would be the Allanaki equivalent.

Its appeal (to me) is that it is a MUSH-like combat system in a hard-coded RPI.  It uses real code to back up the combat, but no emotes other than those provided by the participants.
Quote from: LauraMars on December 15, 2016, 08:17:36 PMPaint on a mustache and be a dude for a day. Stuff some melons down my shirt, cinch up a corset and pass as a girl.

With appropriate roleplay of course.

Whatever that is, Nyr. I want it.

Fredd-
i love being a nobles health points

Quote from: Nyr on December 29, 2010, 01:53:28 PMIts appeal (to me) is that it is a MUSH-like combat system in a hard-coded RPI.  It uses real code to back up the combat, but no emotes other than those provided by the participants.
This.

Personally, I wouldn't mind if the brawl code was modified to be more generic.

Really, though, I think Allanak would be more than satisfied with some sort of brawling-pit/mini-arena.  A room with some sort of generic brawl code and a viewing area.  Tavern fights are all well and good, but it's actually difficult to start one sometimes.  With a brawling pit, you know that if someone's in the pit, they want to fight.  You don't have to actually piss them off and risk serious escalation of hostilities.

Special implement-specific contests would be cool too, like the previously mentioned platform game.

Yes.  We do need brawling pit in 'Nak.  :D
Fredd-

Quote from: Nyr on December 29, 2010, 01:53:28 PM
It's not a particularly bloody game, so I don't see it having much direct transfer to the Allanaki Arena.

Indirect transfer, though...if the platform was staged several fall rooms in the air, and getting knocked off meant you (probably) died, yes.  That would be the Allanaki equivalent.

Trade the American Gladiator Q-tips in for gythka staves and you're all ready. ;)
Quote from: Twilight on January 22, 2013, 08:17:47 PMGreb - To scavenge, forage, and if Whira is with you, loot the dead.
Grebber - One who grebs.

Quote from: Nyr on December 29, 2010, 01:27:45 PM
Descending Sun                                                    (General)

Descending Sun is a game that was introduced to Tuluk at the Liberation
Festival in year 53 of the 21st King's Age.  Played atop several platforms
inside the Partisan's Arena, the object of the game is to become the only
person standing on the platforms.  This objective can be achieved in a few
ways. The most common methods are knocking the opponent out and knocking
the opponent off of the platforms.

To play the game, you need to be holding one of the Arena battle weapons
in your hand or hands.  Wield or etwo the weapon.  (Having two weapons
will not increase your chances to hit your opponent.)  Once you have the
weapon wielded and both combatants are ready, the start of the battle will
be announced by a horn. At this point, you will be able to attack your
opponent.

By default, all attacks will aim for the opponent's torso unless you
specify otherwise. Aiming at the head will be more difficult, but
potentially more painful for your opponent. Aiming at the arms may cause
your opponent to drop his or her weapon. Aiming at the legs may cause you
to trip up your opponent--and they might very well fall right off of the
platforms.

[MORE]
   Character skills and stats are taken into account for these battles.
Using the "kill" command or any other combat command (such as bash or
kick) will invoke normal combat code.

RP NOTE:  These strikes and misses are generic for a reason:  you are
expected to emote and roleplay during this game.

Syntax:
   wield <weapon>
   etwo <weapon>
   use <weapon> <opponent>
   use <weapon> <opponent> head
   use <weapon> <opponent> arms
   use <weapon> <opponent> legs

Delay:
   After

See also:
   Games, High Sun, subdue, release

Wow, this is neat.
Quote from: Fnord on November 27, 2010, 01:55:19 PM
May the fap be with you, always. ;D

Dwarf tossing.

This was the very first thing that popped into my mind, when I read the thread's tittle.

I'm glad I wasn't the only one.
Quote from: Dalmeth
I've come to the conclusion that relaxing is not the lack of doing anything, but doing something that comes easily to you.

Boxing, dammit, Boxing. Theres your code already in place, and its none lethal.. for the most part.

Wrestling.

The codes already there in the form of "subdue."  This way, all the descriptions are up to the players currently wrestling, and there's coded support as to who was "better."
Quote from: Dalmeth
I've come to the conclusion that relaxing is not the lack of doing anything, but doing something that comes easily to you.

Some kind of handball/proto-tennis would be really cool.

I think a ball game, like soccer, would work in the game.
Fredd-

Quote from: Pale Horse on December 29, 2010, 03:31:13 PM
Wrestling.

The codes already there in the form of "subdue."  This way, all the descriptions are up to the players currently wrestling, and there's coded support as to who was "better."

Gee, I wonder what guild would abso-fucking-lutely dominate that sport.

::)