Me-kill-lots

Started by theebie, December 06, 2010, 05:26:17 AM

...these lizards are -many- times the size of an inix...

They're tall like five-six times the size of a half-giant I think to remember ? I don't know if that's true, but they're actually -huge-.

People seem to somehow not realize that frequently in how they address them, I think. Like I don't think it's actually possible to singlehandedly carry
a dead mekillots head. (due to it probably beeing way heavier than a mul)

Could we maybe get some clarifications about how big they actually are, how long, how much they weigh, just some precisions ?

regards, theebie.

A dark-shelled scrab pinches at you, but you dodge out of the way.
A dark-shelled scrab brandishes its bone-handled, obsidian scimitar.
A dark-shelled scrab holds its bloodied wicked-edged, bone scimitar.

I remember something along the lines of them being significantly larger than a bahamet.
A rusty brown kank explodes into little bits.

Someone says, out of character:
     "I had to fix something in this zone.. YOU WEREN'T HERE 2 minutes ago :)"

Okay, let's see, what do we have on that picture.

To the left a black beetle(?), then a human, to the right a human riding a ??? (sunback?) (erdlu?)
and the bigger thing a bahameth probably ? (at least that'd be the esimtated size? though i thought of
it more like a turtle?)
a half-giant would be about the shoulder-height of the bahamet.

An inix would be about the size of the bahamet, i guess ? (beeing able to carry half-giants)
and a mekillot is probably around four/five/six times taller than the bahamet ?

Most of this are just how I  think things are, correct me if you know better.

regards, theebie

December 06, 2010, 07:45:32 AM #4 Last Edit: December 06, 2010, 07:49:45 AM by Qzzrbl
Quote from: theebie on December 06, 2010, 07:39:00 AM
Okay, let's see, what do we have on that picture.

To the left a black beetle(?), then a human, to the right a human riding a ??? (sunback?) (erdlu?)
and the bigger thing a bahameth probably ? (at least that'd be the esimtated size? though i thought of
it more like a turtle?)
a half-giant would be about the shoulder-height of the bahamet.

An inix would be about the size of the bahamet, i guess ? (beeing able to carry half-giants)
and a mekillot is probably around four/five/six times taller than the bahamet ?

Most of this are just how I  think things are, correct me if you know better.

regards, theebie

That thing the guy's riding on at the far right is an inix. (Could even be a ratlon, I dunno)

That thing to the left is a kank. (I feel kinda old now)

And that big critter there towering over the rest is a mekillot.

Bahamets are bigger than inix.

Half-giants are about twice as tall as a human.

Yeah my significant other pointed out to me the other day, that Caravan Way in Allanak must be a few football fields in width to allow such beasts to travel down the road without hindering eachother or squishing -his- citizens like bugs in their wake.

Also I agree that the picture below looks more like a Behamut than a Mek.
The glowing Nessalin Nebula flickers eternally overhead.
This Angers The Shade of Nessalin.

Guys, umm, that picture does have a LABEL at the bottom.  The big thing there is a mek.

It's big, yeah, but not unmanageably so.

However, it's possible that the two humanoids in that picture are half-giants rather than men.

Though, it's also possible that the beasts are somewhat differently sized in Zalanthas than in Athas.

Quote from: Marauder Moe on December 06, 2010, 09:26:45 AM
Guys, umm, that picture does have a LABEL at the bottom. 

Well no shit....?

:o

I feel sillly now.

This, I believe, is far closer to a bahamet (sans thorns)

Yes. Read the thread if you want, or skip to page 7 and be dismissive.
-Reiloth

Words I repeat every time I start a post:
Quote from: Rathustra on June 23, 2016, 03:29:08 PM
Stop being shitty to each other.

so even if that were a mekillot, how much would it weigh.

(let's assume it's humans, not half-giants riding them)

a rough guess of me would be 40-60 tons (it's like a big dinosaur somehow, and those were around that weight)
and the head may weigh how much ? a ton ? at least more than a person could carry, for sure.

http://i141.photobucket.com/albums/r72/mouthymerc/inixkankmekillot.jpg

Yes, these are dark sun kank, inix, and mek.

Armageddon Mek's are twice the size of that mek though, being that their description says "This thing is twice as tall as a halfgiant" right in it.
(I hope this isn't too IC, after all these things go up and down the road of caravans, so anyone who lives in a city state has seen one from not too far away, likely.)

And for the record, the only time I've dragged a mek head around, I used foul majikz, because they are substantially heavy, but probably not heavy enough, no. But then, what in this game is as cumbersome and heavy as it should be? Until we have a code that lets us drag stuff behind our inix with a rope, stuff doesn't need to be too heavy that I can't pick it up and pretend to drag it behind my inix via,
Quotee dragging his own planetary balls behind his inix, with a rope.

But that's another thread.
Quote from: musashiengaging in autoerotic asphyxiation is no excuse for sloppy grammer!!!

Armageddon.org

Just to clarify, in the picture I posted, the giant dinosaur is the mekillot, and is unmounted. The other animals are inix and kank.

In Arm Mekillots aren't mounts. They're too big for even a half-giant to straddle.

In Dark Sun (that picture) one of the Sorcerer kings has an entire cavalry consisting of half-giants on Meks, with lances.
Quote from: musashiengaging in autoerotic asphyxiation is no excuse for sloppy grammer!!!

Armageddon.org

if an zalanthian mekillot is twice as tall as the one in the picture, it'd weigh around 250 tons, and noone could carry its head around.
one wouldn't even get it through the door of a house.

I don't think the humanoids in the picture could be half-giants...if I remember correctly, a tall half-giant is a wee bit taller than an inix.  But it's been a while since I've played a half-giant, so don't quote me on that.

And a bahamet is definitely tortoise-like, nothing like the mek in the picture, there.
Quote from: WarriorPoet
I play this game to pretend to chop muthafuckaz up with bone swords.
Quote from: SmuzI come to the GDB to roleplay being deep and wise.
Quote from: VanthSynthesis, you scare me a little bit.

Mekillots aren't coded as mounts and thus they can not be mounted by half-giants.  It's not because they're too big.  Sure, they're bigger than a HG, but think about how much larger a horse is than we are.  It doesn't have to be 10x as big to pull a shack on wheels (wagon/chariot/carriage) in the real world.  Why does the mekillot have to be the size of a zeppelin to pull an argosy?  They're only twice as TALL as a HG, which means if you could get it into a bi-pedal posture, it would be twice as tall.  Horses would be over twice as tall as we are if they could get into that position.

Picture looks right to me.
"I am a cipher, wrapped in an enigma, smothered in secret sauce."
- Jimmy James, the man so great they had to name him twice

Quote from: Marshmellow on December 06, 2010, 01:16:12 PM
Mekillots aren't coded as mounts and thus they can not be mounted by half-giants.  It's not because they're too big.  Sure, they're bigger than a HG, but think about how much larger a horse is than we are.  It doesn't have to be 10x as big to pull a shack on wheels (wagon/chariot/carriage) in the real world.  Why does the mekillot have to be the size of a zeppelin to pull an argosy?  They're only twice as TALL as a HG, which means if you could get it into a bi-pedal posture, it would be twice as tall.  Horses would be over twice as tall as we are if they could get into that position.

Picture looks right to me.

I would assume we are talking "tall" as in distance from ground to withers.
QuoteSunshine all the time makes a desert.
Vote at TMS
Vote at TMC

December 06, 2010, 02:10:19 PM #17 Last Edit: December 06, 2010, 02:16:34 PM by Marshmellow
That's not how the code works.  "Tall" is distance from foot to shoulder or head when standing erect.

... The code needs to specify what being tall means?  ???

Oh dear god.  Please tell me people aren't about to start arguing about the definition of 'tall' again...

Would you rather I used the word 'height'?  That's the more accurate word that is used in the code anyway.  Ever seen a horse in game?  They aren't over twice your height at the withers, but the code'll put them that tall compared to you.  Draw your own conclusions.

Mekillots aren't rarely used (as either mounts, or argosy-pullers) because they're too big. They're rarely used because they're almost impossible to train (in Dark Sun, I believe, mind benders are required to keep control of them at all at all times and even then are still routinely eaten) and when they go feral, they make a big fucking mess and kill a lot of people.

December 06, 2010, 02:48:57 PM #22 Last Edit: December 06, 2010, 02:58:44 PM by Feco
Just wanted to throw these out there:

Help files:
QuoteGigantic behemoths, these lizards are many times the size of an inix, and often where six inix were required to draw a given argosy, only one mekillot suffices.

QuoteHowever, one carefully skinned carcass can provide shell, meat, bone, and remarkably tough hide for a huge number of people.

QuoteThey are believed to feed primarily upon the local Salt Worms.

QuoteExceedingly large dunes in the desert have been named after these beasts...

Still sort of vague, in terms of size, but it gives us a better idea, I guess?

BTW:

Too much arguing between everyone in arm, Marshmellow.  I love your avatar.
QuoteSunshine all the time makes a desert.
Vote at TMS
Vote at TMC

There was a time in arm, when House Kadius had the War-gosy we called it, and it was pulled by two mekolits

Quote from: Wolfsong on December 06, 2010, 02:43:40 PM
Mekillots aren't rarely used (as either mounts, or argosy-pullers) because they're too big. They're rarely used because they're almost impossible to train (in Dark Sun, I believe, mind benders are required to keep control of them at all at all times and even then are still routinely eaten) and when they go feral, they make a big fucking mess and kill a lot of people.
"Let us endeavor so to live that when we come to die even the undertaker will be sorry."
- Samuel Clemens