Luirs RPT Round 2: Sunday December 12th @ 12PM PST

Started by Reiloth, November 13, 2010, 06:30:42 PM

November 13, 2010, 06:30:42 PM Last Edit: November 14, 2010, 04:17:56 PM by Reiloth
Check ur rumor boards 4 moar detailz. Shortly. Not yet. Wait for it...

Now this is Sunday. RL Has a knack of popping up even a month in advance!
"You will have useful work: the destruction of evil men. What work could be more useful? This is Beyond; you will find that your work is never done -- So therefore you may never know a life of peace."

~Jack Vance~

Wow, one that I can make it too.
Fredd-
i love being a nobles health points

Quick comment - it is incorrect to use PM (or AM) when suffixing 12, the meaning is completely ambiguous (between midnight, and noon). You are probably referring to noon, however it is mildly unclear and syntactically incorrect.

I don't think so...?

I was always taught:

12:00 PM -- NOON
12:00 AM -- MIDNIGHT

Grabbed from wikipedia: (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/12-hour_clock)

The National Maritime Museum, Greenwich, states:

To avoid confusion, the correct designation for twelve o'clock is 12 noon or 12 midnight. Alternatively, the twenty-four-hour-clock system may be used. The abbreviation a.m. stands for ante-meridiem (before the Sun has crossed the line) and p.m. for post-meridiem (after the Sun has crossed the line). At 12 noon the Sun is at its highest point in the sky and directly over the meridian. It is therefore neither "ante-" nor "post-".[9]

Quote from: lepxii on November 19, 2010, 03:02:13 AM
Grabbed from wikipedia: (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/12-hour_clock)

The National Maritime Museum, Greenwich, states:

To avoid confusion, the correct designation for twelve o'clock is 12 noon or 12 midnight. Alternatively, the twenty-four-hour-clock system may be used. The abbreviation a.m. stands for ante-meridiem (before the Sun has crossed the line) and p.m. for post-meridiem (after the Sun has crossed the line). At 12 noon the Sun is at its highest point in the sky and directly over the meridian. It is therefore neither "ante-" nor "post-".[9]

From your source:

QuoteIn the United States, noon is often called "12:00 p.m." and midnight "12:00 a.m." With this convention, thinking of "12" as "0" makes the system logical.

The American Heritage Dictionary of the English Language (Fourth Edition, 2000) has a similar usage note on this topic: "Strictly speaking, 12 a.m. denotes midnight, and 12 p.m. denotes noon, but there is sufficient confusion over these uses to make it advisable to use 12 noon and 12 midnight where clarity is required."

Not everyone is an American. And even in America, use of 12:00 AM (or PM) is confusing enough.

Quote from: lepxii on November 19, 2010, 03:38:23 AM
And even in America, use of 12:00 AM (or PM) is confusing enough.

Fredd-

And then there's the whole "twelve in the morning" that totally screws everyone up...
Talia said: Notice to all: Do not mess with Lizzie's GDB. She will cut you.
Delirium said: Notice to all: do not mess with Lizzie's soap. She will cut you.

Or you could just do 12 or 24.

Milspec FTW.
Yes. Read the thread if you want, or skip to page 7 and be dismissive.
-Reiloth

Words I repeat every time I start a post:
Quote from: Rathustra on June 23, 2016, 03:29:08 PM
Stop being shitty to each other.

November 20, 2010, 03:57:57 PM #11 Last Edit: November 20, 2010, 04:24:57 PM by Reiloth
Ahem.

12 noon.

ARE YOU NOT ENTERTAINED?!
"You will have useful work: the destruction of evil men. What work could be more useful? This is Beyond; you will find that your work is never done -- So therefore you may never know a life of peace."

~Jack Vance~

Not everyone is an American. And even in America, use of 12:00 AM (or PM) is confusing enough.

Also, I don't know what America you're talking about, but i've been saying 12PM my entire life.

~Jack Vance~

Quote from: Reiloth on November 20, 2010, 04:26:00 PM

Also, I don't know what America you're talking about, but i've been saying 12PM my entire life.

I still get confused as shit when 12PM/AM is used....

I just tell people to use "noon" or "midnight".

Quote from: Barsook on November 13, 2010, 06:33:54 PM
Wow, one that I can make it too.

or do I work that day?
Fredd-

This is like, the day after my anniversary. I'll have to see. I'll have to see.
Case: he's more likely to shoot up a mcdonalds for selling secret obama sauce on its big macs
Kismet: didn't see you in GQ homey
BadSkeelz: Whatever you say, Kim Jong Boog
Quote from: Tuannon
There is only one boog.

Talia said: Notice to all: Do not mess with Lizzie's GDB. She will cut you.
Delirium said: Notice to all: do not mess with Lizzie's soap. She will cut you.

PST?  I thought it said EST.  Anyways, dunno if I can make it.
Fredd-

Quote from: Malifaxis on November 19, 2010, 12:23:31 PM
Or you could just do 12 or 24.

Milspec FTW.

(Oddly?) +1  Initially didn't like it, but after the first few weeks, a 24-hour clock just made too much darn sense.  
No one can make you feel inferior without your consent.

- Eleanor Roosevelt

No, palomar, I misread the title.
Fredd-

Remember! Lock the date! The 12th!

~Jack Vance~