Refresh page, refresh page, refresh page...

Started by RogueGunslinger, August 17, 2010, 02:12:01 AM

I have to do this a billion time to get a page to pop up in the GDB. This has happened before. Anyone else experiencing this?

And it is getting worse.
A gaunt, yellow-skinned gith shrieks in fear, and hauls ass.
Lizzie:
If you -want- me to think that your character is a hybrid of a black kryl and a white push-broom shaped like a penis, then you've done a great job

Seems to be lessening now.  We were aware of the problem, and it has been reported to the site administrator.

If you are having a problem with the GDB (such as it not loading properly, at all, or just requiring multiple refreshes) it should be reported to staff via request tool just in case we do miss it.  Posting on the GDB for it is a bit like e-mailing your ISP to tell them you have a problem with your e-mail.
Quote from: LauraMars on December 15, 2016, 08:17:36 PMPaint on a mustache and be a dude for a day. Stuff some melons down my shirt, cinch up a corset and pass as a girl.

With appropriate roleplay of course.

I couldn't access the request tool either.
Talia said: Notice to all: Do not mess with Lizzie's GDB. She will cut you.
Delirium said: Notice to all: do not mess with Lizzie's soap. She will cut you.

The GDB and the request tool are on different servers. Problems on either are not related to problems on the other. Personally, the request tool has been working just fine for me (and other staffers I can see resolving requests, and players who have been continuing to enter requests--all this has been ongoing) while the GDB has been fritzy. If you are having problems with both armageddon.org and zalanthas.org, then it is more likely to be a connection in between you and the servers than to be a problem on the servers themselves.
Quote from: Decameron on September 16, 2010, 04:47:50 PM
Character: "I've been working on building a new barracks for some tim-"
NPC: "Yeah, that fell through, sucks but YOUR HOUSE IS ON FIREEE!! FIRE-KANKS!!"

I am pretty sure that Lizzie along with everybody else on the GDB already knew that they are on different servers. Her point was, she could not access the request tool either, Hence the staff post that using the request tool was in fact, for her, moot. It does not matter that you or any other staffer has been happily using the request tool, another moot point.
A gaunt, yellow-skinned gith shrieks in fear, and hauls ass.
Lizzie:
If you -want- me to think that your character is a hybrid of a black kryl and a white push-broom shaped like a penis, then you've done a great job

Then the next logical thing to do would be to email the MUD account. Nyr's point was that reporting problems on the GDB about the GDB, when it isn't working properly, isn't going to help get the problem fixed; thus, try a technology that does have a chance of helping get the problem fixed. And my point is that if "nothing" is working for you, then the problem is likely to be not with ARM's servers at all, therefore the GDB is still the wrong place to report the problems.
NPC: "Yeah, that fell through, sucks but YOUR HOUSE IS ON FIREEE!! FIRE-KANKS!!"

August 17, 2010, 02:01:51 PM #9 Last Edit: August 17, 2010, 02:05:23 PM by Reiloth
Quote from: Talia on August 17, 2010, 01:59:26 PM
Then the next logical thing to do would be to email the MUD account. Nyr's point was that reporting problems on the GDB about the GDB, when it isn't working properly, isn't going to help get the problem fixed; thus, try a technology that does have a chance of helping get the problem fixed. And my point is that if "nothing" is working for you, then the problem is likely to be not with ARM's servers at all, therefore the GDB is still the wrong place to report the problems.

I don't mean to troll you, Talia, but your responses on a whole are pretty snarky coming from a Staff member. If we are having trouble with the Request tool to report problems, which is what we have been told to use since emailing was mostly phased out, the GDB seems like a fine place to report such a problem. For the last eight years, I have seen "Crash?" threads pop up with little to no staff intervention.

EDIT:

Which I mean to say, if "Crash" threads are fine, what's the problem with "GDB Crash/wonky" threads?
"You will have useful work: the destruction of evil men. What work could be more useful? This is Beyond; you will find that your work is never done -- So therefore you may never know a life of peace."

~Jack Vance~

The irritation is when "use the request tool" is the answer to all ills. It was over a year of being -unable- to use the request tool, and being asked by every single IMM who responded to my e-mails to please use the request tool, and why couldn't I use the request tool, and giving me instruction on how to use the request tool, and hey you know you should be using the request tool for that...

and to this day, half the things I -want- to use the request tool for, aren't even options for the request tool. But if I e-mail about those things, I'm told to use the request tool. Sometimes - I can't use it. "use the request tool" is just as irritating to me as "find out ic" when someone wants help with syntax.
Talia said: Notice to all: Do not mess with Lizzie's GDB. She will cut you.
Delirium said: Notice to all: do not mess with Lizzie's soap. She will cut you.

Quote from: Reiloth on August 17, 2010, 02:01:51 PM
I don't mean to troll you, Talia, but your responses on a whole are pretty snarky coming from a Staff member. If we are having trouble with the Request tool to report problems, which is what we have been told to use since emailing was mostly phased out, the GDB seems like a fine place to report such a problem. For the last eight years, I have seen "Crash?" threads pop up with little to no staff intervention.

EDIT:

Which I mean to say, if "Crash" threads are fine, what's the problem with "GDB Crash/wonky" threads?

I am sorry that my response seemed snarky to you, I certainly did not mean it that way, and actually carefully considered what particular words I was using to lessen any possibility of perceived snark. Sometimes, you guys seem to take more affront than is really warranted when a staffer posts, and it's hard to word things to cover every single possibility of interpretation. I am sorry that you were offended.

Please let me try to clarify what I meant.

Posts on the GDB about problems with the game crashing are likely to get noticed and garner some kind of response because the game and the GDB are on different servers. So the GDB is still accessible when the game is not.

However, posts on the GDB about problems with the GDB are not likely to get noticed because no one can access the GDB at those times, including staff. Also, some staff use the GDB less often, so attempting to get their particular attention through the GDB is not a very fruitful effort. However, staff are required to use the request tool and have expectations for response times there, so if it's possible to use the request tool, that should be done.

That's the basic difference between threads that discuss the game crashing, and threads that discuss the GDB crashing.

Quote from: Lizzie on August 17, 2010, 02:03:56 PM
The irritation is when "use the request tool" is the answer to all ills. It was over a year of being -unable- to use the request tool, and being asked by every single IMM who responded to my e-mails to please use the request tool, and why couldn't I use the request tool, and giving me instruction on how to use the request tool, and hey you know you should be using the request tool for that...

and to this day, half the things I -want- to use the request tool for, aren't even options for the request tool. But if I e-mail about those things, I'm told to use the request tool. Sometimes - I can't use it. "use the request tool" is just as irritating to me as "find out ic" when someone wants help with syntax.

I didn't realize that you were referring to a specific problem that you, personally, have with using the request tool. It sounds like this is still not fixed to your satisfaction. Have you had a conversation with staff about the particulars of your computer and browser setup, and how that might interact with the request tool? The tool is not perfect, of course, and is a work in progress. I am sure that the particulars of your situation would be of interest, if those have not already been shared.

And now, having apparently riled a bunch of you, I am going to stop posting on this topic and let it rest. I certainly did not mean to piss anyone off.

Quote from: X-D on August 17, 2010, 01:50:22 PM
I am pretty sure that Lizzie along with everybody else on the GDB already knew that they are on different servers.

(Lizzie does, but newbies, for instance, don't necessarily.  The difference in domain names notwithstanding.)
The sword is sharp, the spear is long,
The arrow swift, the Gate is strong.
The heart is bold that looks on gold;
The dwarves no more shall suffer wrong.

Quote from: Reiloth on August 17, 2010, 02:01:51 PM

Nothing wrong with it.  The first reported instance of it was here, the place that we (and players) couldn't visit.

What's the problem with suggesting ways to see a problem resolved more quickly?

Quote from: Lizzie on August 17, 2010, 02:03:56 PM

Looks like a job for a staff complaint or a request or appeal or perhaps a question request.  It ain't perfect but at least you can complain that it ain't perfect.  Or you can post here about how much it sucks.  I don't care.  :)

(I'm sure we'd read your complaint in mudmail too if you can't get to the request tool, too.)
Quote from: LauraMars on December 15, 2016, 08:17:36 PMPaint on a mustache and be a dude for a day. Stuff some melons down my shirt, cinch up a corset and pass as a girl.

With appropriate roleplay of course.

For the record.

I didn't see Talia's post as snarky at all.  Then again, I suppose I could be jaded by constant exposure to the average post on the GDB.
She wasn't doing a thing that I could see, except standing there leaning on the balcony railing, holding the universe together. --J.D. Salinger

August 17, 2010, 02:57:54 PM #15 Last Edit: August 17, 2010, 02:59:34 PM by Adhira
The gdb problems are related to the hosting service we use.  We are looking at alternatives, till then it's issues are generally not something we can do much about.

Request tool issues - if it's not working for you and you need to convey something, or you want to report that it is not working we do still have the mud@armageddon.org email address, it is checked and responded to.  You can also email producers@armageddon.org.  Posting issues with the request tool on the GDB may be fine if you just wish to vent, it's less likely to have any issues addressed by people who can do something about it than emails to the two above addresses.

"It doesn't matter what country someone's from, or what they look like, or the color of their skin. It doesn't matter what they smell like, or that they spell words slightly differently, some would say more correctly." - Jemaine Clement. FOTC.

lol at the drama. I'd just found it strange that it was happening for hours and hours and I was the only one to say something about it. Because no one was saying anything i figured it was just an issue on my end, and figured i'd go the safe route before a full on "OMG the gdb is breaking!" post.

Quote from: RogueGunslinger on August 17, 2010, 06:52:21 PM
lol at the drama. I'd just found it strange that it was happening for hours and hours and I was the only one to say something about it. Because no one was saying anything i figured it was just an issue on my end, and figured i'd go the safe route before a full on "OMG the gdb is breaking!" post.

lol, yeah.

I found this thread -right- after you posted it.

But I got bogged down with needing to refresh the page to actually respond. x]