Sugar?

Started by Qzzrbl, August 11, 2010, 02:37:52 AM

Is there raw sugar on Zalanthas?

I searched over the site, but couldn't find anything suggesting there was.

August 11, 2010, 03:58:34 AM #1 Last Edit: August 11, 2010, 04:01:48 AM by Aaron Goulet
The most common sources of sugar in our world are sugar cane and sugar beets, but sugar can be derived from other sources as well.  To answer that question, we would need to know whether or not Zalanthans have discovered the process of crystallization yet, and whether or not there are any plants that naturally contain a large amount of sugar sucrose.
Quote from: ZoltanWhen in doubt, play dangerous, awkward or intense situations to the hilt, every time.

The Official GDB Hate Cycle

Marilla sap is roughly equivalent to say, maple sap, which can be boiled down to maple sugar.

So it's conceivable that there might be such a thing as marilla sugar, although it's probably entirely virtual.

Also, there are little roots that you can forage for that are sweet. I wonder if those might be the equivalent of sugar beets.
Quote from: WarriorPoet
I play this game to pretend to chop muthafuckaz up with bone swords.
Quote from: SmuzI come to the GDB to roleplay being deep and wise.
Quote from: VanthSynthesis, you scare me a little bit.

Now we just need an enterprising dwarf to figure out how to extract that yummy goodness.  New seasonings, anyone?
Quote from: ZoltanWhen in doubt, play dangerous, awkward or intense situations to the hilt, every time.

The Official GDB Hate Cycle

Once upon a time, kank honey was the source of much Zalanthan sweetness.

I don't know what they do now, though.  Does Zalanthas have bees or honeypot ants?

Maybe they boil fruit juices into syrup?

While sugar isn't common, sweeteners definitely are.  There are still sources of honey in game, though I'm not going to state where and when you can get them.

Boiling marilla sap and making syrup from one of the 80 hyper-sweet fruit descriptions or even certain roots are very likely the primary sources of sweetener on Zalanthas.

As for the process of crystallization, I can't think of a single instance in which I've ever seen it used in game.  Kinda like cutting gems, it's one of those things we take for granted, but hasn't been seen on our dusty whore of a game yet.
Yes. Read the thread if you want, or skip to page 7 and be dismissive.
-Reiloth

Words I repeat every time I start a post:
Quote from: Rathustra on June 23, 2016, 03:29:08 PM
Stop being shitty to each other.

I will state that I just ate something honey coated in game last night. That's as far as i'm going into detail.
I remember recruiting this Half elf girl. And IMMEDIATELY taking her out on a contract. Right as we go into this gith hole I tell her "Remember your training, and you'll be fine." and she goes "I have no training." Then she died

Quote from: Fredd on August 11, 2010, 12:27:57 PM
I will state that I just ate something honey coated in game last night. That's as far as i'm going into detail.

By the way, the 20 sid are on the dresser.

Thanks.
Yes. Read the thread if you want, or skip to page 7 and be dismissive.
-Reiloth

Words I repeat every time I start a post:
Quote from: Rathustra on June 23, 2016, 03:29:08 PM
Stop being shitty to each other.

I know that historically, Europeans used parsnips to sweeten things before they got ahold of sugar cane from the New World.  Parsnips aren't all that sugary, but they would taste real sweet to you if you weren't used to sugar.  So I'd suppose that if you didn't have anything like honey or pollen or sugar cane on hand, you'd just work with the sweetest roots that you had on hand.  Although I do like the idea of making sap syrup that someone suggested above.

Neat question, though.
He said, "I don't fly coach, never save the roach."

Quote from: Malifaxis on August 11, 2010, 12:51:38 PM
Quote from: Fredd on August 11, 2010, 12:27:57 PM

By the way, the 20 sid are on the dresser.

Thanks.

You promised me 40!
I remember recruiting this Half elf girl. And IMMEDIATELY taking her out on a contract. Right as we go into this gith hole I tell her "Remember your training, and you'll be fine." and she goes "I have no training." Then she died

I've seen something referred to as being coated with sugar in game ... so. I ... suppose? Eeh.  ???
Case: he's more likely to shoot up a mcdonalds for selling secret obama sauce on its big macs
Kismet: didn't see you in GQ homey
BadSkeelz: Whatever you say, Kim Jong Boog
Quote from: Tuannon
There is only one boog.

If you pull sugar from a giant's ear as the norm in Zalanthas, you would still call it sugar.

Real sugar and Zalanthan sugar might look totally different, be harvested differently and only bear similarity in the fact they are sweet.

If there is candy, it is not a stretch to imagine there is crystallized sugar, somewhere.  Virtual or not.
Evolution ends when stupidity is no longer fatal."

Quote from: Twilight on August 23, 2010, 11:05:52 AM
If there is candy, it is not a stretch to imagine there is crystallized sugar, somewhere.  Virtual or not.

Old kank honey.
"Let us endeavor so to live that when we come to die even the undertaker will be sorry."
- Samuel Clemens

Or marilla sap.
Eastman: he came out of the east to do battle with The Amazing Rando!

Quote from: jriley on August 11, 2010, 01:30:20 PM
I know that historically, Europeans used parsnips to sweeten things then more stuff

I aint putting no parsnip in my coffee.
Ceterum censeo Carthaginem esse delendam

Quote from: Delirium on August 04, 2014, 10:11:38 AM
fuck authority smoke weed erryday

oh and here's a free videogame.