Going, going, sandwich?

Started by spawnloser, July 26, 2010, 11:28:50 AM

Quote from: WagonsHo on July 26, 2010, 04:06:19 PM
The large majority of words in the game didn't exist in a very recognizable form, if at all, in medievalist geek-lit.  Unless we want to speak like this, "Syððan wæs geworden þæt he ferde þurh þa ceastre and þæt castel," we're going to have to accept that we're modern people using modern language to communicate ideas and mental pictures.

In a hole in the ground lived a hobbit.

Which is almost a counterexample, actually. But you get the idea.
The sword is sharp, the spear is long,
The arrow swift, the Gate is strong.
The heart is bold that looks on gold;
The dwarves no more shall suffer wrong.

Quote from: brytta.leofa on July 26, 2010, 04:19:55 PM
The large majority of words in the game didn't exist in a very recognizable form, if at all, in medievalist geek-lit.  Unless we want to speak like this, "Syððan wæs geworden þæt he ferde þurh þa ceastre and þæt castel," we're going to have to accept that we're modern people using modern language to communicate ideas and mental pictures.

I see we have varying ideas of what medievalist geeks read.  ;)

Quote from: WagonsHo on July 26, 2010, 04:25:13 PM
Quote from: brytta.leofa on July 26, 2010, 04:19:55 PM

I see we have varying ideas of what medievalist geeks read.  ;)

Now if we were talking about medievalist nerds...  ;D
The sword is sharp, the spear is long,
The arrow swift, the Gate is strong.
The heart is bold that looks on gold;
The dwarves no more shall suffer wrong.

I don't see what's so bad about sandwiches.  It wouldn't break my immersion to see a PC eating a sandwich.  Maybe it would if it came with a side of "french tubers," though.

Quote from: Marauder Moe on July 26, 2010, 12:30:23 PM
Well, there's the spicy scrab roll.

There have been a few filled pastries as desert items too (jade cream tarts).

I've seen at least one specialty food served on a stick, but I think that's something that should be much more common (especially now that bread is becoming a rarity).  Rat on a stick, lizard on a stick, mek kebabs, etc.

On a mild tangent, I don't think small insects as food is as common as it should be in Zalanthas.  We're already very used to eating large insects (scrab, beetles), but very seldom do you see smaller ones like (Earthly-sized) tarantulas, roaches, ants, and grasshoppers.

Maybe you should increase the value of bugs and grubs to make it more attractive to food-gathering foragers to collect them and get them into the shops?  They certainly exist in the game.. I have had characters that lived their whole lives off scavenged handfuls of worms and ants and pallid grubs, with an occasional tuber or fruit for variety.  They were elves and mutants, but I don't think that should matter.. the food type in question is pervasive.. forest, grass, or desert sand or cave..  you can find bugs and grubs :)
If procrastination  is really so easy, why aren't more people doing it yet?

July 26, 2010, 05:48:15 PM #30 Last Edit: July 26, 2010, 05:52:23 PM by Reiteration
Quote from: Samira on July 26, 2010, 05:21:51 PM
I don't see what's so bad about sandwiches.  It wouldn't break my immersion to see a PC eating a sandwich.  Maybe it would if it came with a side of "french tubers," though.

The skinny, zit-faced lad tells you, in lisp-accented Sirihish:
   "Would you like tubers with that?"
"Brain wave, main wave"
Psycho got a high kick
Collect and select
Show me your best set

Sandwiches were invented by king louie the... something.

He  had a chef make it so that he could have a full meal, but still play cards. They were made in a primative time. Why are they... that big word?
I remember recruiting this Half elf girl. And IMMEDIATELY taking her out on a contract. Right as we go into this gith hole I tell her "Remember your training, and you'll be fine." and she goes "I have no training." Then she died

Anarchy is slowly descending.  I love sandwiches.  What's next, the systematic destruction and erasure of pies too?
The jig is up, the news is out, they've finally found me
the renegade, who had it made, retrieved for a bounty
nevermore to go astray, the judge'll have revenge today
On the wanted man

Only two pages, alas, I have fallen in love with this thread.

Quote from: Styx on July 26, 2010, 06:04:57 PM
Anarchy is slowly descending.  I love sandwiches.  What's next, the systematic destruction and erasure of pies too?

Dear god, the day they remove ginka pie...
"Brain wave, main wave"
Psycho got a high kick
Collect and select
Show me your best set

Quote from: Reiteration on July 26, 2010, 06:22:09 PM
Quote from: Styx on July 26, 2010, 06:04:57 PM

Dear god, the day they remove ginka pie...

Will be a sad day indeed.
Quote from: Wug
No one on staff is just waiting for the opportunity to get revenge on someone who killed one of their characters years ago.

Except me. I remember every death. And I am coming for you bastards.

Quote from: Fredd on July 26, 2010, 05:55:41 PM
Sandwiches were invented by king louie the... something.

He  had a chef make it so that he could have a full meal, but still play cards. They were made in a primative time. Why are they... that big word?

Earl of Sandwich.

This has me  wanting a sandwich IRL. Only I don't have any meat or cheese.... Only bread.

Can I make a sandwich out of bread and bread?

craft slice 2.slice into sandwich
The man asks you:
     "'Bout damn time, lol.  She didn't bang you up too bad, did she?"
The man says, ooc:
     "OG did i jsut do that?"

Quote from: Shalooonsh
I love the players of this game.
That's not a random thought either.

Call them sand witches, because they were first invented by a lone witch to keep sand out of his meat.

Quote from: Yam on July 26, 2010, 08:10:53 PM
Call them sand witches, because they were first invented by a lone witch to keep sand out off of his meat.

Fixed. And i agree! heh.
They wont be eaten in tuluk for that reason then.
I remember recruiting this Half elf girl. And IMMEDIATELY taking her out on a contract. Right as we go into this gith hole I tell her "Remember your training, and you'll be fine." and she goes "I have no training." Then she died

Quote from: tortall on July 26, 2010, 07:53:04 PM
This has me  wanting a sandwich IRL. Only I don't have any meat or cheese.... Only bread.

Dear Tortall,

Yes! You can make a sandwich of bread and bread! People destitute enough have been doing so for years! As to what to call this marvelous innovation, there's already even a name for it! A wish sandwich. You put two pieces of bread together and wish there was something between them!
Quote from: Wug
No one on staff is just waiting for the opportunity to get revenge on someone who killed one of their characters years ago.

Except me. I remember every death. And I am coming for you bastards.

I remember having seen cream puffs and 'sandwich' like desserts in Arm too.  Why is meat between hearty bread ostracized, but sugary cream between sweet bread not?  

Food falling into the 'sandwich' category is too obvious and historical of a preparation of food to ban because a few people don't like the word 'sandwich'.  Since we are using modern English for our names and descriptions of things, it seems to me the word 'sandwich' shouldn't be banned, at worst just the food items that seem too modern.  But in that case you might as well ban sliced bread.. with sliced bread existing in the world, its only natural to think of putting something between two slices and eating it, in my view.
If procrastination  is really so easy, why aren't more people doing it yet?

Quote from: AmandaGreathouse on July 26, 2010, 09:59:44 PM
Quote from: tortall on July 26, 2010, 07:53:04 PM

Dear Tortall,

Yes! You can make a sandwich of bread and bread! People destitute enough have been doing so for years! As to what to call this marvelous innovation, there's already even a name for it! A wish sandwich. You put two pieces of bread together and wish there was something between them!

It reminds me of bread and pull it. :(

I don't know. I don't find any words 'too' anything. Unless you said "roman nose", in which case aquiline's a better descriptor ... but is there truly one for ... sandwich?

???
Case: he's more likely to shoot up a mcdonalds for selling secret obama sauce on its big macs
Kismet: didn't see you in GQ homey
BadSkeelz: Whatever you say, Kim Jong Boog
Quote from: Tuannon
There is only one boog.

Seriusly though. Are Erdlu good for anything OTHER then meat?

Quote from: Fredd on July 26, 2010, 11:32:55 PM
Well...

...eggs
I tripped and Fale down my stairs. Drink milk and you'll grow Uaptal. I know this guy from the state of Tenneshi. This house will go up Borsail tomorrow. I gave my book to him Nenyuk it back again. I hired this guy golfing to Kadius around for a while.

EDS.

And wtf, sandwiches got pulled from the game.. seems a bit silly to me. Never had a erdlu and cheese sandwich ruin MY immurzzzzuns.
A staff member sends you:
"Normally we don't see a <redacted> walk into a room full of <redacted> and start indiscriminately killing."

You send to staff:
"Welcome to Armageddon."

July 27, 2010, 04:54:31 AM #47 Last Edit: July 27, 2010, 04:57:55 AM by Ashes

Bait.

I say we call them "stuffed bread."

A loaf of stuffed brown bread sits here, lookin' mighty tasty.  Mmm-hmmm!

Licking your lips, you look at a loaf of stuffed brown bread.
Crusty brown bread has been cut into a wide bowl and stuffed with all sorts of tasty stuff.  You can see erdlu, silt horror meat, diced gaj tentacles, mekillot milk cheese, and a whole fried Roc egg.  It has been generously seasoned with ground bahamet shell, intermingled with what could be finely-grated necker ears.  The entirety steams amiably, and it smells divine.
she said slow down this train
slow down the iron that runs in my veins

Even though I'm a newish player, two of my characters have had sandwiches, and I thought it was ok. It didn't break my experience of the game, although I do tend to make my characters treat such things as exotic.

Then again, I don't really know anything about the history of the sandwich, so it could be like having french tubers.

Now I'm confused.  ???
Quote from: Wug on August 28, 2013, 05:59:06 AM
Vennant doesn't appear to age because he serves drinks at the speed of light. Now you know why there's no delay on the buy code in the Gaj.

Quote from: brytta.leofa on July 26, 2010, 04:03:43 PM
The problem isn't the food type; it's that it uses a word invented in the 1800s and that we don't find in medievalist geek-lit.  That particular word is too jarring for a lot of us.

I wholeheartedly agree!

Until the stuffed crust pizzas are implemented, that is.
Quote from: Return of the King (1980)
It's so easy not to try,
Let the world go drifting by--
If you never say, "Hello,"
You won't have to say, "Good Bye."