Role/Family/Friend

Started by Ravenfeather, July 20, 2010, 04:56:48 AM

I am looking for a role to link in with a long lived player - happy to link in as a lover/friend/distant cousin whatever -
My timezone is GMT+10 so this likely wont suit most players!!

"Graceful? Yes. Beautiful? Absolutely. Harmless? Definitely not." --Tribal Elder.

Have you voted lately?
Top Mud Sites (Every 12 hours)
The Mud Connector (Every 24 hours)

I am looking for a role to link in with a long lived player - happy to link in as a lover/friend/distant cousin whatever -
My timezone is GMT+10 so this likely wont suit most players!!

"Graceful? Yes. Beautiful? Absolutely. Harmless? Definitely not." --Tribal Elder.

Have you voted lately?

July 20, 2010, 10:45:46 AM #2 Last Edit: July 20, 2010, 10:47:24 AM by Synthesis
I'm 29, is that old enough?

I'm married, though, so it will have to be a friend role.

P.S. You can't advertise for roles "hooking up" with long-lived characters.
Quote from: WarriorPoet
I play this game to pretend to chop muthafuckaz up with bone swords.
Quote from: SmuzI come to the GDB to roleplay being deep and wise.
Quote from: VanthSynthesis, you scare me a little bit.

Lovers and friends must be acquired through in-game means exclusively. In other words, your character can't show up out of chargen already being some other PC's best pal.

Characters who are blood-relatives to each other have to fit specific criteria, and must be part of the characters' backgrounds, before the characters exist in the game. So in other words, the long-lived character who has a sister, has to have already had his sister as part of his background, when he first created the character. Which means that sister probably already exists, or existed and is now dead. Players aren't allowed to suddenly decide that their characters have long-lost relatives, just to accommodate other people who want to create those characters.

There's a whole big explanation of this rule in the staff announcements category somewhere. I don't remember the name of the thread though and it's probably a year old or more.
Talia said: Notice to all: Do not mess with Lizzie's GDB. She will cut you.
Delirium said: Notice to all: do not mess with Lizzie's soap. She will cut you.

July 20, 2010, 11:39:27 AM #5 Last Edit: July 21, 2010, 04:27:31 AM by spawnloser
You can not recruit for anything but family.  Take a look here:  http://www.zalanthas.org/gdb/index.php/topic,36773.0.html

As for time, you'd be surprised.  We have people from all over and people that are on bizarre schedules, further complicating things and getting them playing at off-peaks.

Edit:  Heh, whoops.  I completely missed this was a duplicate.  (Staff wanna merge?)
Quote from: MalifaxisWe need to listen to spawnloser.
Quote from: Reiterationspawnloser knows all

Quote from: SpoonA magicker is kind of like a mousetrap, the fear is the cheese. But this cheese has an AK47.

Ive crated a couple of PC's - I have never been able to consistently link in with others and as a result have never managed to stick it out with this game.

Its tedious and tiresome and vastly irritating -

I don't care what I am - I just don't want to sit about a vastly empty tavern for hours on end.

You want new players? help me out! help me find -something- and -someone- please.

Have you voted lately?

Join a clan, one of the big ones in the city you're in.  Apply to play a tribal human, as you're almost guaranteed a few people that are extended family going that way.  If you've been around at least a little bit, send a request special app'ing for a desert elf maybe.

Quote from: SpoonA magicker is kind of like a mousetrap, the fear is the cheese. But this cheese has an AK47.

Quote from: spawnloser on July 21, 2010, 04:29:12 AM
Join a clan, one of the big ones in the city you're in.  Apply to play a tribal human, as you're almost guaranteed a few people that are extended family going that way.  If you've been around at least a little bit, send a request special app'ing for a desert elf maybe.

Listen to Spawnloser.

I remember when I first started playing, I got bored because I didn't know how to interact with other players (I was horribly ubernoob).

That all changed when I joined the Byn.

Anyone perhaps kind enough to offer something that isn't blatently obvious?

Say ... perhaps a clan or two that is active in the off peak hours? perhaps send me a message about what the clan is about and how my PC might fit in?

Have you voted lately?

It's impossible to judge whether or not a clan is active during peak hours Raven. By the time your character gets approved, all your clanmates might already be dead and the next wave of PCs in the clan might play at completely different times. I don't think anyone here cares to be blamed on the GDB for chosing a clan for you, only to discover that the clan's play times have shifted again.

If all you are doing is sitting in a tavern all day, I suggest you are getting out of Armageddon exactly what you're putting into it. Try making a ranger from Tuluk, with an interest in possibly becoming a hunter for Salarr or Kadius (whichever is around when you meed up with a PC that is authorized to hire). And instead of sitting at a tavern all day, learn your way around the city, then leave the city and learn your way "around" the city, from one gate to the other. If something chases you, run from it. If something doesn't chase you, examine it and RP studying it for awhile. Take this time to work on your foraging skills so you can always find food, play around with your stealth skills, practice your listen and scan skills, take note of how many rooms you can go before you need to rest, and the weather conditions when you are recovering from movement points to determine how long to expect when there's a storm out.

There is LOTS to do, to prepare for your getting into a clan, other than sitting at a tavern. Clans don't exist to give you something to do. You already have something to do. But if you aren't out there at least -trying- to learn how to do it, then clans are not likely to want you in them.

Some notes about getting hired by a clan:

*The way to tell if a clan is active off-peak is simple: if you play off-peak and you see members of said clan fairly regularly, they're active off-peak.
*Even once you decide you wish to join a clan, be patient.  It can take a while (RL days) before your playtimes sync up with when a leader is available to recruit you.  Also it might take multiple meetings for both you and the leader to decide it's a good match.
*Many clans (usually military ones) have a schedule for players to follow.  This means that as an outsider, you're not likely to see any clan members except at night and on Zalanthan weekends (typically Ocandra and/or Detal).
*Take it IC.  Though Zalanthas is an unfriendly place, most players can recognize newbies and will go out of their way a bit to help them get jobs.  Ask other characters about hiring clans and the names of PC leaders.
*When you learn a clan leader's name, try to contact them often.  They may interrupt their schedule for recruiting, or at least they'll tell you when they'll be available next.  Also, it'll train up your contact skill.

For many clans, it will smooth the process to have a reason for joining beyond "coin, skilling up, food, and shelter."  Of course, those ARE the big reasons, ICly and OOCly, that a zalanthan/player wants to join a clan.  However, if you can add some depth to these reasons, it may impress the clan recruiter and imply to him or her that you care about your character and are going to stick around for a while, not just vanish after two days. 

Rather than "I want to learn to be a good hunter," why not say, "My father was a hunter and was training me until one day he was killed by kryl.  I feel it is my duty to his memory to know the wilds and to hunt from them as he always hoped that I would."  I can guarantee you that most leaders will be much more impressed with the second answer (OOCly, at least, even if they don't Ooo and Ahhh in character).

Other General hints:

1) Develop a character background that allows you to be a good, smart worker.  Don't break the rules when you get bored.  This takes patience, but the longer you're around, the cooler stuff you'll see and get involved with.

2)  Be clear to your employer about your skills.  Sometimes it's fun to play a completely incompetent character or to trick your employer/clan for as long as possible about your true talents.  If you're yearning for clan life, however, I'd suggest saving this concept for later since you leader might put up with it, but they might fire you.  Or worse.  One note: When a clan hires you as a crafter, they're probably hoping that you're guild Merchant.  Whether or not this expectation is appropriate is a side matter.  It's simply the facts of the game.

3)  Be clear about your playtimes.  Some employers might be jerks to you if your playtimes don't match up.  Being clear about playtimes helps you both avoid this situation.  Most employers, however, will be sympathetic and understanding and will try to find some things for you to do when you're alone and won't harass if you if they don't see you every evening at peak EST time.  Saying, "I tend to mostly be around during the middle of the week" (or whatever) will signal this clearly.

Was your starting location Allanak or Tuluk? They always have players, even during a large portion of the offpeak hours.  :)

The Byn, as was suggested, is often a very large and active clan and is likely to have players around during your times. If you don't see them, it's likely because they are following the schedule and can't spend much time in taverns.

If you need constant interaction with other PCs then do not make a desert elf. They are known for being more secluded and having a smaller number of players, and when you get less players around and all the differences in play times that there can be you will have long periods of times where you are solo.

Yeah well ... I don't want to share IC info but..

I started this thread hoping to link in and linger around long enough to learn the game and find some immersion and RP.

I may or may not have created a character - may have picked a busy city and I may have attempted to 'contact' people offering work for ages

I may or may not have tried to work hard and attach myself to the first PC I saw more than once.

I may or may not have in the first two hours found myself totally screwed over by said PC locked in a room and raped/killed...

Which may .. or may not be pretty similar to the same thing that happened last time.

I suppose I may or may not be back in another twelve months *shrugs*.

Have you voted lately?

Look, I know you're feeling discouraged, but it looks like you're trying to go too fast.  You need to relax.  Play a character that is JUST a miner, or a salt grebber, or a clay digger, or... and play that character in the appropriate city.  Make friends slowly and hang out at the bar, not going into places where you can not get out of with others.  Understand that you have to be suspicious in this game, of everyone.  Hell, never using the command 'follow' except on people you trust is about the right way to go too.  Character death is all too real and there are some griefers and jerks out there.  Eventually you'll spend enough time to get hooked in with a better crowd.

Quote from: Ravenfeather on July 23, 2010, 09:04:56 AM
I may or may not have in the first two hours found myself totally screwed over by said PC locked in a room and raped/killed...

- Hon, don't go home with strangers.  It makes less sense in Armageddon than in real life.

- When you look for work or assistance, look for it from reputable people: House Kadius, House Salarr, etc.  People in livery.  As a new player, you're not ready to be streetwise yet.

- Armageddon is very frustrating if you don't learn some ways to entertain yourself.  Even if you play at peak times, you're going to sometimes find yourself on your own.

You really need to get yourself into a playing routine that works, and then try to hook up with a clan.  That clan should be one whose members you already run into a lot in your regular playing schedule.

I think I'm just restating stuff spawnloser said.
The sword is sharp, the spear is long,
The arrow swift, the Gate is strong.
The heart is bold that looks on gold;
The dwarves no more shall suffer wrong.

I can't count how many noobies my old Rukkian fed, hired, got jobs, and assisted.

Just go to a tavern, and ask about work. So many people are willing to help you. Some will help you hunt by taking you with them. Others will tell you who to talk to to join a clan. I know it can be difficult in off peak hours. But larger clans usually have at least a small showing in off peak hours.

Try Salarr or the Tzai'Byn. They almost always have someone online. Find out who IC.
I remember recruiting this Half elf girl. And IMMEDIATELY taking her out on a contract. Right as we go into this gith hole I tell her "Remember your training, and you'll be fine." and she goes "I have no training." Then she died

It sounds to me like you want everything done for you. My suggestion is to look for enjoyment in the game for yourself. Be the kid in the back yard turning sticks shaped a certain way into laser guns. Or the girl making mud pies and having tea time. You can't rely on everyone else to figure out what you enjoy and help tailor your play-style to certain things that can be done in game. Armageddon is a sandbox world and sometimes you just need to see what can be done, and figure out what you like to do from there.

This game isn't for everyone, and you shouldn't be getting angry at us just because you can't seem to get in to it.

When have I asked for people to do anything for me or tailor a play-style?

I am simply someone who is aware that there is an extremely limited amount of people to RP with Monday through to Friday because I life in Australia the other side of the planet for most of you.  I am simply aware that my best chances of actually managing to learn the game is to link in with someone also in that timezone be it through a role, family or a friend.

I was hoping someone could have messaged me and arranged a time to meet this weekend - advised of what their clan is or who I need to search for.

Its really not that big an ask.  I even offered to take any role.

Thank you to the few people who have made contact with me offering to work/help/times.

Have you voted lately?

Don't worry, Ravenfeather, we're not all pricks around here  :)

Don't give up!

Quote from: Ravenfeather on July 24, 2010, 01:17:13 AM

I am simply someone who is aware that there is an extremely limited amount of people to RP with Monday through to Friday because I life in Australia the other side of the planet for most of you.  I am simply aware that my best chances of actually managing to learn the game is to link in with someone also in that timezone be it through a role, family or a friend.

I was hoping someone could have messaged me and arranged a time to meet this weekend - advised of what their clan is or who I need to search for.

Thank you to the few people who have made contact with me offering to work/help/times.

"When I was a fighting man, the kettle-drums they beat;
The people scattered gold-dust before my horse's feet;
But now I am a great king, the people hound my track
With poison in my wine-cup, and daggers at my back."

Quote from: Ravenfeather on July 24, 2010, 01:17:13 AM

I'm nocturnal, see you online~
"Brain wave, main wave"
Psycho got a high kick
Collect and select
Show me your best set

Heeeey, for the next three weeks I'm in Australia.
A dark-shelled scrab pinches at you, but you dodge out of the way.
A dark-shelled scrab brandishes its bone-handled, obsidian scimitar.
A dark-shelled scrab holds its bloodied wicked-edged, bone scimitar.

We're not allowed to communicate with you outside the game to set up hiring your character, or meeting your character in game.  I could PM you about setting up a time that you should be logged in because I'll be logged in at the same time... but that's about it.  If our characters are going to interact in game, our characters have to go through finding each other the normal way.  What good would a PM have been if our characters don't know each other?  We might bump into each other, but then again, we might not.

If you're talking about getting a role that another player is offering, the only options you have are those people that post asking for family.  The rules for players recruiting other players to fill roles are pretty specific.  People shouldn't be PMing you about what clan they play in and how much fun you'll have during the times they play... because that's OOC recruiting that should be done IC, no matter if it is your current character or a future character that will go join that clan.  Be careful what you get yourself involved in because communicating OOC with people is a bad habit that can ruin the game's fun for you and those around you.

The only exceptions to what Spawnloser says, would be sponsored roles (sponsored by staff or player-sponsored pre-approved by staff), and tribes that allow you to create characters for without preapproval, but are by their nature, family roles that you wouldn't recruit for IC. Such as desert elves. Knowing if there's at least 1 active member in a desert elf tribe can go a long way, if you're considering making a character in that tribe. But even in a case like that, your best bet would be to ask the staff, and not the players.

Quote from: Ravenfeather on July 23, 2010, 09:04:56 AM

Which may .. or may not be pretty similar to the same thing that happened last time.

I suppose I may or may not be back in another twelve months *shrugs*.

As monumentally frustrating as it is to be lured and butchered by some griefer (IC or OOC), it is a valuable lesson. I have lost quite a few characters to these sorts of tactics, and each time, I tally up another mark on my "List of Things Not to Do". It can really suck when it happens to a character of whom you are particularly fond. But, them's the breaks.

As for learning the game, I agree with the suggestion of playing rangers. Not only are they a durable class that has a great deal of (pardon the pun) range, but they get listen, which means you can sit in taverns and pick up all sorts of slang, gossip, news, and even the occasional secret. Plus, they are one of the most easily hired classes in the game.

Quote from: brytta.leofa on July 23, 2010, 09:48:56 AM
- When you look for work or assistance, look for it from reputable people: House Kadius, House Salarr, etc.  People in livery.
This, oh sweet Highlord, this!

If Joe Barfly, who you've been chatting with all day and night, is dressed in black, with pointy knives and such sticking out from under his cloak, then maybe he's not the sort you want to take a midnight stroll with. Same thing goes for the gruff guy with a battle-axe strapped to his back and blood spattered on his gear. Sure, there's a chance that they're legit, but this is your life...do you really wanna be taking those sorts of chances?

On the other hand, someone wearing house regalia will, more than likely, have a rep to maintain, and be less likely to pick you out as an easy mark. Now, they might peg you as a sucker and sell you stuff you don't need, or get you doing jobs for them that no one else wants to do, but that's good RP IMHO. And it certainly beats:

You have died.

_______                                ___
                              /\\_____//~-_                        _-~\\__
                             (~)       ~-_ ~-_                  _-~ _-~
                            (~)           ~-_ ~-_            _-~ /-~
Welcome to Armageddon!     (~)              `~-_ ~_======_--~~ __~
                          (~)               _~_\__\____/__/_--\ ~`-_
                           \           _-~~            _-~~~-_ \_  ~-_
You may:                    ~-       __--~`_    /   _-~         ~.     ~_
(N) Create a new account           -~        \     _~       ___,  \ ~-_  \
(C) Connect to your account      ,~ _-,       ~  _~         \   \  | , \ \
(V) Toggle ANSI/VT100 mode      / /~/      -~   /            ~  /  /  \~  \
(B) Toggle 'brief' menus        | | \     _~    |        __-~  / _/  \~  '\
(D) Documentation menu          \ ~-_~   -   |  _      ~-____-~ .~  \~    |
"Let us endeavor so to live that when we come to die even the undertaker will be sorry."
- Samuel Clemens