Regional Naming Conventions?

Started by NoteworthyFellow, June 02, 2010, 10:25:28 AM

Quote from: Jdr on June 04, 2010, 02:30:15 AM
I make names that sound really cool to me, for example, 'I should make a stone elementalist girl! What's a cool name for her. Uh. Beryl! That sounds bumpkin enough.'

And then realizing later it's a name of a bloody stone. God, what a newb I felt like.

Holy crap, I think I remember her, too. :)
Quote from: Wug
No one on staff is just waiting for the opportunity to get revenge on someone who killed one of their characters years ago.

Except me. I remember every death. And I am coming for you bastards.

Quote from: AmandaGreathouse on June 04, 2010, 04:56:27 AM
Quote from: Jdr on June 04, 2010, 02:30:15 AM
I make names that sound really cool to me, for example, 'I should make a stone elementalist girl! What's a cool name for her. Uh. Beryl! That sounds bumpkin enough.'

And then realizing later it's a name of a bloody stone. God, what a newb I felt like.

Holy crap, I think I remember her, too. :)

As do I.  I only wish my PC at the time had survived long enough to find opportunities to boss her around.
The sword is sharp, the spear is long,
The arrow swift, the Gate is strong.
The heart is bold that looks on gold;
The dwarves no more shall suffer wrong.

Quote from: slipshod on June 02, 2010, 12:58:46 PM

I think, taken on the whole and looking at historic personalities, northern names are more Egyptian/Persian sounding, while southern names are more Greek/Roman sounding.

I'm in agreement with this.
Quote from: Twilight on January 22, 2013, 08:17:47 PMGreb - To scavenge, forage, and if Whira is with you, loot the dead.
Grebber - One who grebs.

Quote from: slipshod on June 02, 2010, 12:58:46 PM
I think, taken on the whole and looking at historic personalities, northern names are more Egyptian/Persian sounding, while southern names are more Greek/Roman sounding.

I don't see any strong correlation. The range of names present has never struck me as being from any region of our world, they have been myriad and diverse. As long as the name sounds tribal, and not contemporary or appearing near to fiction, it's a good name.

There is one naming convention in our world that follows naming children after the wealthy. The name "Tyrone" for example, is a very high-brow English name that poor families would give to their children. It's a bit like the whole Rude Boy concept of people dressing above their income / class level to present the image of a sharp, wealthy person. The name did that early on, but after heavy use it loses its luster.

I think one thing that could show some regional differences would be people named after objects or nature:

Nak: Sid, Rat, Red, Sand, Spider

Tuluk: Horta, Thorn, Baobab, Shik
I tripped and Fale down my stairs. Drink milk and you'll grow Uaptal. I know this guy from the state of Tenneshi. This house will go up Borsail tomorrow. I gave my book to him Nenyuk it back again. I hired this guy golfing to Kadius around for a while.

Egyptian Names: http://www.mybirthcare.com/favorites/pg1/Egyptian-names.asp
Persian Names: http://www.mybirthcare.com/favorites/searchresults.asp

You can look up any culture but selecting the nation of the "Origin" Box here: http://www.mybirthcare.com/favorites/babynames.asp
Quote from: Twilight on January 22, 2013, 08:17:47 PMGreb - To scavenge, forage, and if Whira is with you, loot the dead.
Grebber - One who grebs.