Nenyuki Properties Idea

Started by Sephiroto, April 16, 2010, 12:30:43 PM

For all to discuss:

I just imagined walled plots outside the city that one could rent or lease.  No buildings, just a tall wall and dirt.  Do whatever you'd like with this space.  I imagine pitched tents, sparring rings, bonfires, hookers, mounts...or whatever fancies you.  This would be cool for visiting tribals, nomads, or even city folk who want to have their own "area".  Want to start your own black market?  Your own training camp?  Sure, no problem just pay the rent.

I imagine these plots being built along the Scaien or outside along the Outer Circle with a bailey-like path with the occasional soldier to patrol, or even Nenyuki guards who controll access into each plot.  They'd be somewhat expensive due to space and because, as I invision them, there are one or more guards controlling entrance to each area.  Owners can control access, just like apartments, or even allow them to be opened (permanently or temporarily) to the public.

Why is this a good idea?  Well, I see a lot of appeal to the relative safety of a paid-for quit/save area where one can do just about anything he or she pleases.  They are temporary, require little maintenance, and would be very cheap to construct.  I also imagine this being easy to build without needing to re-code new outdoor rooms around the cities.

Oh wow.... that's amazing. I love this idea, and I would be fully in favor of it.
Quote from: Wug
No one on staff is just waiting for the opportunity to get revenge on someone who killed one of their characters years ago.

Except me. I remember every death. And I am coming for you bastards.

If it weren't covered by the city's crim-code, it would never work.  It's just too easy to kill most dumb NPC guards, so without the possibility of death by overwhelming numbers of half-giant automatons, I suspect there are quite a few players who would forget that they are incurring the wrath of one of the most powerful merchant Houses in the Known World--a House that could buy and sell their pathetic souls a thousand times over and barely feel the financial sting, much less remorse--and go ahead and kill those Nenyuki NPC guards in order to gain unauthorized access.

I do have this vision of creating a sunbathing spa for gemmed Krathis, though.
Quote from: WarriorPoet
I play this game to pretend to chop muthafuckaz up with bone swords.
Quote from: SmuzI come to the GDB to roleplay being deep and wise.
Quote from: VanthSynthesis, you scare me a little bit.

I suppose Nenyuk has the resources for the required bribe ... but that would be one hell of a bribe.

"Hello Mr. Templar.  Would you mind if we set up lots of nice places for magickers, blackmarkets, and rebels just outside the city but outside of your direct control?  That's cool, right?"
Quote from: Synthesis
Quote from: lordcooper
You go south and one of the other directions that isn't north.  That is seriously the limit of my geographical knowledge of Arm.
Sarge?

Synthesis:  Lol, well that goes without saying.  10 PC's could do the same thing to the Allanaki/Tuluki gates if they wanted to.  An excellent point though.  Crim-code sounds like a good idea.  And, if anyone does manage to advent NPC protection, there's always staff.  People who do things like that or abuse the code in such an overt manner have a habit of being caught, one way or another.

Thunkkin: Heh, I didn't mean to say that Nenyuk would be opening it under the premise of a blackmarket or shady-place.  In fact, they might have explicit rules about what is allowable on the properties rented.  A devil's advocate would point out that it is the same way in regular apartments, but people magick, spice deal, and murder there all the time.  The IC idea is that it brings commerce and wealth to the city.

I'd say a pretty huge No on that. The players are already seemingly spread out far too much. When I can, every night for a week, during prime hours, hit all 3 "southern" taverns in Nak, and literally 90% of the time, not see a single PC in any of them (yes, dusk or later).... We really don't need to give -more- reasons to further distribute the playerbase.
Squinting at the such-and-such dwarf, the so-and-so woman asks, in sirihish:
     "You put jam in your peenee hole to keep from making baby juice?"

Quote from: netflix on April 16, 2010, 02:51:28 PM
I'd say a pretty huge No on that. The players are already seemingly spread out far too much. When I can, every night for a week, during prime hours, hit all 3 "southern" taverns in Nak, and literally 90% of the time, not see a single PC in any of them (yes, dusk or later).... We really don't need to give -more- reasons to further distribute the playerbase.

What's the difference between this idea and apartments? It basically just sounds like a more creatively stimulating apartment.
"You will have useful work: the destruction of evil men. What work could be more useful? This is Beyond; you will find that your work is never done -- So therefore you may never know a life of peace."

~Jack Vance~

I said no because IC, it sounds extremely dangerous.
Quote from: Cutthroat on September 30, 2008, 10:15:55 PM
> forage artifacts

You find a rusty, armed landmine and pick it up.

I like the idea.  I think there are some bugs that would need to be worked out, but while you're at it, why not give players the option of "hiring" NPC door guards for their place?  These could be Bynners or Nenyuki guards or whatnot, but would basically work using the rent code.  You could just add a number of guards (say...from 1-5) to your rent, for a price - maybe 300-400 'sid per guard per month.  Then you wouldn't have to worry about crim code, because it's not particularly realistic, I don't think, to expect the law to care about what happens to your property if you don't want them to care about what happens on your property.  :-\
Quote from: Lizzie on February 10, 2016, 09:37:57 PM
You know I think if James simply retitled his thread "Cheese" and apologized for his first post being off-topic, all problems would be solved.

I prefer the way it is working out in Arm.2.

Copy, paste anyone?
Quote from: Cutthroat on September 30, 2008, 10:15:55 PM
> forage artifacts

You find a rusty, armed landmine and pick it up.

reminds me of ultima online and people building towers right outside of the towns.

you could have an npc merchant selling your goods inside said areas, guarded by npc's you hire and so on.  if no guards are hired someone could kill your npc and take your goods/money.

it has potential but it would definitely need to be weighed for possible abuse.
Murder, Corruption, Betrayal and Pancakes.