Red Storm Ideas:

Started by BlackMagic0, April 15, 2010, 02:07:44 PM

Does RS need more love?

Yes...
70 (83.3%)
Never!
14 (16.7%)

Total Members Voted: 84

If you are the only person sifting spice in Storm, you can subsist with low playtimes and no apartment.  Depending on your guild or sub-guild, it can actually be easy to do better than subsisting as a sifter.  Add in another person, though, and suddenly it's hard to sell any spice, if you ask me.  Casual people come through Storm, too, and apparently will sell spice as well making it hard to do sifting as a dedicated job, unfortunately, in my experience.

If the shop would actually empty of spice, maybe.  Something more like the saltyards or the cottonfields is an interesting idea and could work too, though, and may be easier.  It wouldn't be too hard, I think to make the kuraci merchant not buy spice and add another kuraci merchant that functions off of those scripts.  The only problem is that it would require adding in another NPC, and where to put him?  Ideas?
Quote from: MalifaxisWe need to listen to spawnloser.
Quote from: Reiterationspawnloser knows all

Quote from: SpoonA magicker is kind of like a mousetrap, the fear is the cheese. But this cheese has an AK47.

Quote from: spawnloser on April 16, 2010, 01:31:42 AM
The only problem is that it would require adding in another NPC, and where to put him?  Ideas?

Probably close to the stables, the first place the grebbers would be when they return, most likely.
Now you're looking for the secret. But you won't find it because of course, you're not really looking. You don't really want to work it out. You want to be fooled.

I'd think that adding a room to the Kuraci warehouse/shop would be the most logical location.  I'd write a room and NPC description, if the staff gives this the thumbs up.
Quote from: ZoltanWhen in doubt, play dangerous, awkward or intense situations to the hilt, every time.

The Official GDB Hate Cycle

Though I do agree there is a somewhat limiting space for PC survival in Red Storm, I am still near to content to how things are. Of course, some few additions could always go a long way.

I would like to see an NPC vendor for spice added - Allanak and Tuluk were given poop, salt and cotten vendors (in their respective locations). Beyond sand and NPC's with sharp-pointy things, I understand why Luirs Outpost is limited to it's vendors - Though the Vendors that they do have help well enough.

In my opinion, Red Storm shows the most "lop-sidedness" to their marketplace economy. No readily available Spice Vendor and the prices, even if for IC reasons, for certain items tend to go into the extremes - Either pitifully low or ridiculously high. I'd like to see a balance actually brought into the marketplace in RS. From my experience, certain animal parts from certain parts of the Known sell with varying prices of increase/decrease, dependent on their rarity to that area in which they are being sold. In RS, it seems this concept goes directly out the window - Nothing selling for more then 50 coins (again, from my personal experience).

Another thing I've noticed is that RS feels particularly "lonely". Most of the city suggests people moving under cover of hoods and facewraps from one place to another - I'd like to see a few NPC soldiers/commoners scripted to wander around.

My personal suggestions to "improve" Red Storm village:
1.) Add a spice vendor.
2.) Re-check and (hopefully) balance the buy/sell prices.
3.) Add NPC militia/commoner wander code.
Quote from: LauraMars
Quote from: brytta.leofaLaura, did weird tribal men follow you around at age 15?
If by weird tribal men you mean Christians then yes.

Quote from: Malifaxis
She was teabagging me.

My own mother.

April 16, 2010, 02:18:47 AM #54 Last Edit: April 16, 2010, 02:22:11 AM by BlackMagic0
Quote from: Aaron Goulet on April 16, 2010, 01:11:17 AM
Quote from: Synthesis on April 16, 2010, 01:02:38 AM
I wonder how many "existing tenants" are actually dead already.  300 IC days is a pretty long time.

Yeah, man.  That's like, just shy of nineteen real life days, which, given the character mortality rate, might be too long to wait before your own character bites the dust.

I think if the decay time was cut in half, once your pc dies, or set 10-20 days. Would help with not needing more apartments, since don't gotta wait half a month + for an opening from a dead guy.
I'd say simply are given up right away, though... eh.. no IC way to explain that, besides playability.

Giving it half-time, till the landlord gives up your shit? Got 100 days left? Die, only got 50. Shitty.
And would tell it so to the co-owners, or give them owner ship right away.

Woah. That is.. to much talking and rabble rabble.  :o

Quote from: Gunnerblaster on April 16, 2010, 02:18:38 AM
My personal suggestions to "improve" Red Storm village:
1.) Add a spice vendor.
2.) Re-check and (hopefully) balance the buy/sell prices.
3.) Add NPC militia/commoner wander code.

1) Yes.
2) Yes. Balance the unrealistic wealth one can amass there a bit more. Buy/sell prices.
3) I think they around wander? I believe last time my PC was there, they wandered. Eh.
"Don't take life too seriously, nobody ever makes it out alive anyway."

Quote from: BlackMagic0 on April 16, 2010, 02:18:47 AM
Quote from: Aaron Goulet on April 16, 2010, 01:11:17 AM
Quote from: Synthesis on April 16, 2010, 01:02:38 AM
I wonder how many "existing tenants" are actually dead already.  300 IC days is a pretty long time.

Yeah, man.  That's like, just shy of nineteen real life days, which, given the character mortality rate, might be too long to wait before your own character bites the dust.

I think if the decay time was cut in half, once your pc dies, or set 10-20 days. Would help with not needing more apartments, since don't gotta wait half a month + for an opening from a dead guy.
I'd say simply are given up right away, though... eh.. no IC way to explain that, besides playability.

Giving it half-time, till the landlord gives up your shit? Got 100 days left? Die, only got 50. Shitty.
And would tell it so to the co-owners, or give them owner ship right away.
I don't want to derail but I think that if I ICly just paid my rent and died - My apartment should still be considered "rented" by me. It doesn't matter to the Land lords if they see me ever again or not. As far as they're concerned, I paid for however many days I have left and no need to bother me. If I don't pay - They just set my apartment back up for rent. And, ICly, land lords aren't going to go out of their way to find out your PC is dead and they aren't going to "assume" you're dead and just give away your apartment to the next person who buys it. Otherwise - That defeats the purpose of renting an apartment.
Quote from: LauraMars
Quote from: brytta.leofaLaura, did weird tribal men follow you around at age 15?
If by weird tribal men you mean Christians then yes.

Quote from: Malifaxis
She was teabagging me.

My own mother.

At Gunnerblaster since to lazy to quote all that:

That would be why I said. Their is no rp excuse for that, only playability to open up apartments and keep them in cycle more often. So less "more apartment" asking!
See? ;) Though.. back on topic to red storm! (open houses for rent and those unique apartments!)

It also creates the problem where, if someone knows what apartment you rent, and you're pretty religious about keeping it paid, they can find out if you are dead by going to your apartment building's lobby and typing 'list'.
Quote from: ZoltanWhen in doubt, play dangerous, awkward or intense situations to the hilt, every time.

I don't think the apartment issues in storm atm has anything to do with dead pcs.
The sound of a thunderous explosion tears through the air and blasts waves of pressure ripple through the ground.

Looking northward, the rugged, stubble-bearded templar asks you, in sirihish:
     "Well... I think it worked...?"

I'd think the number of apartments is enough given the nature of the location. If they don't seem to be enough, maybe there are too many PCs in the area and time will fix that situation, or PCs based in other locations are renting apartments there only because they are less likely to be broken into. I have no idea though, just guessing.

I misunderstood the poll as meaning, "Do people in Red Storm need to love more?" I have no idea why, but I change my answer to a resounding yes.
-Kuh

Quote from: kuhfelsen on April 17, 2010, 10:05:54 PM
I misunderstood the poll as meaning, "Do people in Red Storm need to love more?" I have no idea why, but I change my answer to a resounding yes.

.... I want less friendly people, less loving people, in the game! This isn't happy bunny fuzzy fuofuo land! ;)

Though glad to see you agree.

I made a change that should help things.  While prices may change at this particular water seller after we review it some more, this is more in line with the other generic water sellers in-game.  I know the script isn't the easiest one to use so here's the recap:

Syntax:
list - gets a list of liquids for sale (also shows syntax)
offer <seller> <container> <liquid> - Ask how much to fill <container> with <liquid>
fill <seller> <container> <liquid> - Fill <container> with <liquid>
Quote from: LauraMars on December 15, 2016, 08:17:36 PMPaint on a mustache and be a dude for a day. Stuff some melons down my shirt, cinch up a corset and pass as a girl.

With appropriate roleplay of course.

April 19, 2010, 03:04:06 PM #63 Last Edit: April 19, 2010, 03:06:29 PM by solera
Quote from: BlackMagic0 on April 15, 2010, 03:47:58 PM
Quote from: solera on April 15, 2010, 03:34:07 PM
I like having no profitable way of selling spice to NPC's in Storm.  It's a great incentive to go out and make contacts.

And I doubt Kurac would be very happy with you spice hunting, and making contacts to go sell it on your own. Undercutting their profit on their spice.

Thats bad?
I've no idea why the vendor was set to buy at dirt cheap prices though.
I have this feeling though, that Storm shouldn't have a vending machine  (whatever it buys) that can keep you solvent once you know how the system works.  That a PC sifter has to go out and sell it.
Though I guess you're right.
Storm is the only place I felt I Failed the game.

Quote from: solera on April 19, 2010, 03:04:06 PM
Quote from: BlackMagic0 on April 15, 2010, 03:47:58 PM
Quote from: solera on April 15, 2010, 03:34:07 PM
I like having no profitable way of selling spice to NPC's in Storm.  It's a great incentive to go out and make contacts.

And I doubt Kurac would be very happy with you spice hunting, and making contacts to go sell it on your own. Undercutting their profit on their spice.

Thats bad?
I've no idea why the vendor was set to buy at dirt cheap prices though.
I have this feeling though, that Storm shouldn't have a vending machine  (whatever it buys) that can keep you solvent once you know how the system works.  That a PC sifter has to go out and sell it.
Though I guess you're right.
Storm is the only place I felt I Failed the game.

I think Kuracis at least should be able to harvest their own spice codedly. It would open up a dynamic of economy uncommon in the southlands.

I would also like to throw in that I agree that its odd the apartments only allow for two to a room. With the high rent and the fact that most likely two or three families might possibly be living under the same roof it seems odd to restrict the number or tenants to a room.
The sound of a thunderous explosion tears through the air and blasts waves of pressure ripple through the ground.

Worse than that, it actually seems that the number of tenants per room was cut in half on some buildings. I remember when there were places up in Tuluk that would rent 4/room and will now only rent 2/room.

I have yet to find these elusive 'red storm apartments'. :(
Quote from: Wug
No one on staff is just waiting for the opportunity to get revenge on someone who killed one of their characters years ago.

Except me. I remember every death. And I am coming for you bastards.

April 19, 2010, 07:20:49 PM #67 Last Edit: April 19, 2010, 07:25:17 PM by BlackMagic0
I think:
Should not be a rent limit at all. No limit. Why would a landlord care? As long as you bring the key back, and you pay your rent! Am I right?
Not like they need to make new keys, as you gotta return the key -every- time you leave...

I really liked the whole, multiple people packing into a place to afford it as indies. And we can't rent warehouses or houses.

If we could rent the unique apartments, houses, or warehouses. Sure, let two be the limit for apartments.
Since then if you wanna make a hunting group, rent a house together from bank house guy for your barracks. No houses/unique apartments. Oh well.

Also the water seller things is awesome!!

Now hopefully they can balance the unrealistic profit some crafter types can make, and balance out spice sifting more.
It is true that if their is more then ONE single PC that is sifting at any time, you can't even scrap by with coin.

Though.. I trust in our staff and that they are reviewing it as we speak!

(totally would write up the room, and npc, and reply scripts if they wanted)

Or get a Sand Master PC!! (both?)

Quote from: BlackMagic0 on April 19, 2010, 07:20:49 PM
Now hopefully they can balance the unrealistic profit some crafter types can make, and balance out spice sifting more.
It is true that if their is more then ONE single PC that is sifting at any time, you can't even scrap by with coin.

Though.. I trust in our staff and that they are reviewing it as we speak!

I hope you're right.  :D  In my opinion and experience, profiting from anything other than "certain crafts" is extremely difficult.  Grebbers and spice gatherers definitely have the short, SHORT end of the stick here, and in the case of the latter, you'd really think it would be a more profitable trade (if you're wondering why, refer to my previous post).

The end result isn't very pretty, either; you tend to see quite a few people using the same subguild down there just so their PCs can survive.  This leads to less diversity in PC professions.

I just want to see spice gatherers get their fair shake.  Spice is one of the only two commonly "grebbable" resources in the area, and as others have pointed out, it's a high-risk profession with very little reward; so little, in fact, that I've played spice gatherers who lost more money on food and water than they made on spice in a given day.

Keep the support coming!!

Only way to make sure the Immortal Staff keep looking here!

MOAR IDEAS!  8)

I agree that something should be done regarding the profitability of spice sifting. Kurac gets a great deal of its supply from the folks who do this work, which is dangerous and dirty on a good day. It seems sensible that they would be fairly compensated, so as to keep them churning out more material for the House.

As well, something should be done about apartments in the village. Players want to live there, and where people want to be, there is RP. I'd say either lift the restriction on people-per-room, or expand the housing available. Maybe Kurac decides to build a new complex as a result of the influx of locals supporting sandcloth manufacturing and the spice trade.

What with the volcano and famine  things going on in Nak I'm seriously shocked more npc crowds aren't moving towards Storm. Population boom = building more to fit that population  ;D

Quote from: Bast on April 20, 2010, 02:04:36 PM
What with the volcano and famine  things going on in Nak I'm seriously shocked more npc crowds aren't moving towards Storm. Population boom = building more to fit that population  ;D

I don't think the Sand Lord necessarily -wants- more people in Red Storm, so why build more apartments? Half starved nakki people aren't his problem, let the templars take care of it.

They're moving, just not so much to Red Storm.
-- Person A OOCs: I totally forgot if everyone is okay with the adult-rated emotes and so forth?

-- Person B OOCs: Does this count as sex or torture? I can't tell.

-- Person A OOCs: I'm going to flip coins now to decide.

Quote from: Myrdryn on April 20, 2010, 04:22:01 PM
What with the volcano and famine  things going on in Nak I'm seriously shocked more npc crowds aren't moving towards Storm. Population boom = building more to fit that population  ;D

They're moving, just not so much to Red Storm.

Allanak aside... and yes.. you can find Allanak npc crowds in other places. (not red storm)
Still the population in red storm, and the sifting/profit issues.

Though this seems, strange..