Could a ranger's campfire designate a temporary quit room?

Started by armandhammer, March 26, 2010, 05:43:59 PM

I would like it if there were a "temporary relocation" room you could go to (like the scar room) when you just need to go AFK for 10-15 minutes to grab a sandwich/take a dump/answer the phone/see who's at the door/take the dogs out/run and see what your kids are screaming about.

After 15 minutes it would automatically dump you back into the room you started from.  Abuse would be dealt with severely.
Quote from: WarriorPoet
I play this game to pretend to chop muthafuckaz up with bone swords.
Quote from: SmuzI come to the GDB to roleplay being deep and wise.
Quote from: VanthSynthesis, you scare me a little bit.

Quote from: Synthesis on March 31, 2010, 03:03:17 PM
I would like it if there were a "temporary relocation" room you could go to (like the scar room) when you just need to go AFK for 10-15 minutes to grab a sandwich/take a dump/answer the phone/see who's at the door/take the dogs out/run and see what your kids are screaming about.

After 15 minutes it would automatically dump you back into the room you started from.  Abuse would be dealt with severely.

This is a good idea for those of us with the inability to sit quietly at the computer for stretches due to family, pets, and RL issues.  :)
"When it is dark enough, you can see the stars."

Quote from: jmordetsky on March 30, 2010, 09:18:39 PM
The Ranger Contingent probably wants to kill me right now :).
Right, I want to kill you right now :P

Frankly, as a ranger-lover and an Arm-addict I agree with your point. However there's a real strong point making me not wanting people to be allowed to quit when they want. True story here, one of my d-elf PC's was chasing another PC in the wilds with the intention to kill. I wounded them badly and they were running all around to make me lose the track. But no, I kept following them and found the tracks end in a quit room. Then I issued a complaint and the staff told me that the other player had to quit because of OOC reasons. I'm really fine with that now. But that really bothered me back then.

With this change you want, there will be lots of bothered players. And I guess that's why X-D strongly disaggrees with that.

Those OOC reasons you gave are very solid. And I'm giving you another OOC reason, which is pretty lame and would make some people to abuse this. "I don't want my PC to die."

As for the penalties you said, I got my HP and moves halved and get hungry and thirsty when I quit. Then I came back hoping to Arm and bam! My mother calls for my help again, which would force me to quit once again at the very same no-quit room. What now? I got my HP and moves halved again (to a quarter) and get hungrier and more thirsty? What about after another miscalculated playing time? I'll be famished and dehydrated?

Quote from: Lizzie on March 31, 2010, 09:07:07 AM
The only thing I'd like to see, is a few more quit-safe rooms. One or two -inside- the Allanak merchant gate, one more in the Red, another one in the tablelands, one in the western wastes, one in the southeast corner of Tuluk, one inside the plains gates of Tuluk, and now that the IC thing has happened, one somewhere within 10 rooms of the western Tuluk gate.

Thus I am with Lizzie's idea here. There should be a few more quit safe rooms scattered all around. Maybe one somewhere in the Salt Flats as well.
A foreign presence contacts your mind.

You think:
"No! Please leave me be whoever you are."

You sense a foreign presence withdraw from your mind.

Quote from: eska on March 31, 2010, 07:08:32 PM
Quote from: Lizzie on March 31, 2010, 09:07:07 AM
The only thing I'd like to see, is a few more quit-safe rooms. One or two -inside- the Allanak merchant gate, one more in the Red, another one in the tablelands, one in the western wastes, one in the southeast corner of Tuluk, one inside the plains gates of Tuluk, and now that the IC thing has happened, one somewhere within 10 rooms of the western Tuluk gate.

Thus I am with Lizzie's idea here. There should be a few more quit safe rooms scattered all around. Maybe one somewhere in the Salt Flats as well.

And some sort of OOC markers denoting their location as you wander around...when you've not quit-restricted because of combat delay or whatnot...maybe double or triple the combat delay for PC vs PC Combat delay...

The whole point of having more quit rooms is to make it take -less- time to quit out if you're not a ranger, not more time. So adding penalties to the already-long combat delay would defeat the purpose. I don't know why things have to be so complicated. Just add a few more quit-safe rooms where there are particularly long stretches that don't currently have them.

They are marked, OOCly, with the "quit" notation in the room title already. No need for elaborate mdescs that tell the -character- that the -player- can exit the game. As long as the rooms are generally appropriate (such as a cave, or a niche between bushes, or a grove, or a spot in a tunnel, etc) then it doesn't need any special marker other than that handy "Quit" notation.
Talia said: Notice to all: Do not mess with Lizzie's GDB. She will cut you.
Delirium said: Notice to all: do not mess with Lizzie's soap. She will cut you.

Quote from: Lizzie on March 31, 2010, 10:44:23 PM
The whole point of having more quit rooms is to make it take -less- time to quit out if you're not a ranger, not more time. So adding penalties to the already-long combat delay would defeat the purpose. I don't know why things have to be so complicated. Just add a few more quit-safe rooms where there are particularly long stretches that don't currently have them.

They are marked, OOCly, with the "quit" notation in the room title already. No need for elaborate mdescs that tell the -character- that the -player- can exit the game. As long as the rooms are generally appropriate (such as a cave, or a niche between bushes, or a grove, or a spot in a tunnel, etc) then it doesn't need any special marker other than that handy "Quit" notation.

That doesn't help from 1, 2, or even 3 rooms away...Let's assume, as has been said, that you are never more than 10 rooms from a Quit room.  Let's then assume that the world room layout is a perfect 2-dimensional grid (NESW only, and we all know it's not only that, nor a perfect grid).  If you don't know the closest Quit room is 4n4e from your current location, the only way to find it is to start out on a grid-search...which means you could visit up to 220 rooms before you find the closet Quit room, without an OOC hint as to which direction it's in...unless you're one of the old fart characters who has the entire world mapped and memorized, and bring that OOC knowledge and are using it IC to find that perfect bush that's on the other side of that thicket and over the hill to quit in.

April 01, 2010, 01:56:01 AM #56 Last Edit: April 01, 2010, 02:11:48 AM by jmordetsky
Quote from: Lizzie on March 31, 2010, 10:44:23 PM
I don't know why things have to be so complicated. Just add a few more quit-safe rooms where there are particularly long stretches that don't currently have them.

I would counter that argument by stating that *right now*, this minute as I post this - it's 10:53 pm PST. It's night time in game and I can't see a thing. I'm actually right outside a city and I would really like to go to bed but I can't because I'm addicted to this f-ing game (:) I mean that with all the love in the world). So, I get to siit here and stare at my screen instead.

My mount is shot and the closest quit room (that I know of, and I know them all) is 26 rooms away. If I could even find it at night. And in theory if I had the proper subguild, I could find it - but that's me abusing OOC info because my character would honestly have NO idea where this was.

Times like this make me choose xbox over arm. I literally have to plan my time on arm closer then I do my professional life.

I would happily take a delay, health penalty, anything - I just want to quit.

Edit: Okay, so there was a quit room really close *blink* but I didn't know about it - so there. Scenario still stands :/
If you gaze for long enough into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

www.j03m.com

Quote from: Synthesis on March 31, 2010, 03:03:17 PM

This is a really good idea.
Wynning since October 25, 2008.

Quote from: Ami on November 23, 2010, 03:40:39 PM
>craft newbie into good player

You accidentally snap newbie into useless pieces.

Discord:The7DeadlyVenomz#3870

I want everybody to be able to quit anytime whenever they need to.

I've already dealt with people abusing the normal quit command as-is. It happens; it's dealt with. We haven't taken that away, have we?
Quote from: Oryxin a land...where nothing is as it seems
lol
wait wait
in a harsh desert..wait
in a world...where everything's out to kill you
one man (or woman) stands sort of alone
only not really
lol
KURAC

Quote from: Spice Spice Baby on April 04, 2010, 02:41:54 AM
I want everybody to be able to quit anytime whenever they need to.

I've already dealt with people abusing the normal quit command as-is. It happens; it's dealt with. We haven't taken that away, have we?

I would look at ways to increase quit rooms in the wild to help with this.

I would also look at providing documentation in the quit help file to help ease players through logging "into" each other.

If you quit by some bush in the desert, then RP that you emerged from something hidden, for example.

I would also agree with SSB: abuse can be handled by player complaints. It may increase player complaints but isn't that better than making people go link dead because of something suddenly happening OOC?

I don't like the "temporary" safe room. Even if people don't abuse it, someone "shadowing" a player is suddenly left lost.

Quote from: Morrolan on July 16, 2013, 01:43:41 AM
And there was some dwarf smoking spice, and I thought that was so scandalous because I'd only been playing in 'nak.