Loorzfest 2010

Started by Reiloth, March 18, 2010, 10:54:38 PM

Hey folks,

It's that time again, mark your calanders.

April 14th-April 19th. Find out Details IC.
"You will have useful work: the destruction of evil men. What work could be more useful? This is Beyond; you will find that your work is never done -- So therefore you may never know a life of peace."

~Jack Vance~

Hell yes. TAX DAY in Luir's!
Quote from: Vanth on February 13, 2008, 05:27:50 PM
I'm gonna go all Gimfalisette on you guys and lay down some numbers.

Quote from: Gimfalisette on March 18, 2010, 11:33:48 PM
Hell yes. TAX DAY in Luir's!

More incentive to file before the last minute!
"You will have useful work: the destruction of evil men. What work could be more useful? This is Beyond; you will find that your work is never done -- So therefore you may never know a life of peace."

~Jack Vance~

>.>

<.<

I loved the last one.

So gonna try and get to this one.
Quote from: BleakOne
Dammit Kol you made me laugh too.
A staff member sends:
     "Hi! Please don't kill the sparring dummy."

Man, that's the first weekend of Ren Fest. Lame.
The man asks you:
     "'Bout damn time, lol.  She didn't bang you up too bad, did she?"
The man says, ooc:
     "OG did i jsut do that?"

Quote from: Shalooonsh
I love the players of this game.
That's not a random thought either.

Better yet - that's my exam week.
Former player as of 2/27/23, sending love.

Quote from: valeria on March 19, 2010, 01:36:26 AM
Better yet - that's my exam week.

Uhh.... yeah.

I bet one week over would be more convenient for a lot of people.
Now you're looking for the secret. But you won't find it because of course, you're not really looking. You don't really want to work it out. You want to be fooled.

hah.

~Jack Vance~

Busy time for me too, I'm all for bumping it forward one week  :'(
Quote from: Marauder Moe
Oh my god he's still rocking the sandwich.

NEVER FORGET LUIR'S FEST 2008!!!1
"When I was a fighting man, the kettle-drums they beat;
The people scattered gold-dust before my horse's feet;
But now I am a great king, the people hound my track
With poison in my wine-cup, and daggers at my back."

Wait, was that the one where someone got killed by a prostitute NPC?  No...I think that was '06.
Quote from: Lizzie on February 10, 2016, 09:37:57 PM
You know I think if James simply retitled his thread "Cheese" and apologized for his first post being off-topic, all problems would be solved.

I remember when it used to fall around Valentine's day. Scheduling issues will always be a problem with Luirsfest I think.  :P
That said I think a lot of people are going to have fun.

Quote from: James de Monet on March 19, 2010, 06:04:47 AM
Wait, was that the one where someone got killed by a prostitute NPC?  No...I think that was '06.

I remember that.

In Kurac, prostitute pwns you.

As I recall, somebody tried to assassinate a certain long-lived Tor, missed, and got whalloped by a few NPCs, including a fat prostitute. Everyone blinked for a minute or two, then the body was carried out, rugs were tossed over the bloodstained floor, and the party kept on partying.

That was a fun year. Bunch of great characters and complicated dynamics happening there.

Indeed, wow.  That's can't be more directly in final exams.

Yeah, checked my exam schedule.  Got one on the 16th and one on the 18th (yes, that is in fact a Sunday).  Damn.

Might push it back if everyone keeps complaining. You sissies.

~Jack Vance~

You could poll, offer like 2 or 3 date-range options, figure out when is truly best for the playerbase as a whole.

Right. And then all the people who are organizing it will leave everyone -else- to run it, because this is the best time the people who are -running- it could come up with for themselves.

In short, it really doesn't matter when it's convenienct or inconvenient for attendees. If the people running it can't make it, then there will be nothing to attend.

I can say this has been in the works for several -months- now..and it's taken this long for the people running it to be able to come up with a set of dates that work for them. If they had to wait for a consensus of the playerbase, my guess is you'd be seeing the next Luirsfest somewhere around July - 2012.
Talia said: Notice to all: Do not mess with Lizzie's GDB. She will cut you.
Delirium said: Notice to all: do not mess with Lizzie's soap. She will cut you.

You actually ruined all of your grades playing Armageddon for years non stop and now you actually pretend that you need that day or two to study?? Hah!
"When I was a fighting man, the kettle-drums they beat;
The people scattered gold-dust before my horse's feet;
But now I am a great king, the people hound my track
With poison in my wine-cup, and daggers at my back."

Yeah that kinda puzzled me too Malken. I mean, out of 5 days..surely all these boozehound pot-smoking party animalistic class-sleeping armageddon-mudding freaks can squeeze a few hours in to check out one or two of the events. Y'know, between caffeine runs (they should've been studying all year, then they wouldn't have to cram, suckas).

ARM's playerbase is largely made up of college and post-grad students. Some of them are highly dedicated to their studies. Not all of them, of course, but some of them definitely are. It's not unreasonable for them to hope that a huge, annual-only event like this would happen at a time when they were more able to give it the attention such an exciting happening warrants.

That is why I suggested posting a poll. It's always a good idea to quantify, rather than speculate. Perhaps the weekend when the event's been set really IS the best weekend for the majority of the playerbase, amongst options that work for the event leaders; and perhaps not. But at this point, there's no data to support either assumption.

I think that insulting players by blowing off their concerns is rather insensitive, however.

For the record, I don't give a crap which weekend the events happen, because I'm not in school.

Law school GPA - 3.96
Hours spent studying per week - around 70, if reading for class is included
Hours spent studying per day during exam week - around 15

So no, I didn't intend to play any during exam week.  At all.  But if it doesn't get moved I might have to, just because I've never seen a Liurs Fest and they sound fun.

For the record, I'm not asking anyone to move it, because I know what the realities of leadership roles are, but I AM expressing disappointment that I won't get to be around for much of it, if any at all, given when it's scheduled.  Because I'm not going to tank a GPA I worked very hard for (such hard work including giving up booze and partying, but NEVER caffein).  ;D  My choice, but the choice still sucks.

Scheduling RPTs in the past, I've found that if you schedule the date plenty of time in the future (as you have done here) you will have a much better turn out than if you try to work around everyone else's schedule.

The Luir's Festival is not a 12 hour/day event.  Usually, the actual nightly event last less than two hours.
It's a once in a year opportunity that people who have an IC excuse to go WILL come to as much of it as possible.
Changing dates will most likely do more harm than good to attendance as well as completely stress out the players who are organizing it and the staff who have already set aside time for observation/animations/trouble causing.
Quote from: Twilight on January 22, 2013, 08:17:47 PMGreb - To scavenge, forage, and if Whira is with you, loot the dead.
Grebber - One who grebs.

And even if you are not able to make a specific event, there is still the fact that the Storm's End is going to be full of people to roleplay with hate.
Nyr: newbs killing newbs
Nyr: hot newb on newb violence
Ath: Mmmmmm, HOT!

March 20, 2010, 08:30:22 PM #25 Last Edit: March 20, 2010, 08:32:32 PM by Reiloth
Quote from: Reiloth on March 20, 2010, 03:46:40 PM
Might push it back if everyone keeps complaining. You sissies.

yeah this was meant to be taken as sarcasm.

Unfortunately, there is no way we are going to change the date for you boner-killers. It's taken too long to organize (As Lizzie said, months).

Usually, Luirsfest falls around valentines day. It's now late march, and it's not going to happen until mid April. Capiche? So study before hand, make Luirsfest, and have fun :)

EDIT:::

I have missed many RPT's in the past due to RL scheduling. Fortunately, this RPT is 5 days long.

~Jack Vance~

If only I had five bucks for every time a midterm, final, paper, or assignment has prevented me from attending some fun event.  Even if this was rescheduled, I'm certain the university would find some way of mucking it up.

It is, as you say, five days.  See what happens.

p.s. Arm already ruined my mark in probability.  I am a bad bad man.

Quote from: MarshallDFX on March 21, 2010, 12:33:22 PM
If only I had five bucks for every time a midterm, final, paper, or assignment has prevented me from attending some fun event.  Even if this was rescheduled, I'm certain the university would find some way of mucking it up.

Your midterm assignment:

calculate the odds of your getting each possible grade, based on the number of hours studied, hours of sleep, hours of physical activity, hours of imbibing in toxic substances (bonus points if they're illegal), hours arming, and comprehension of content measured as x(2d*y-(7.4-(x/y)), with x eing the sum of armhours + imbibing/hours studied+hours of sleep.

Quote from: Lizzie on March 21, 2010, 01:30:13 PM
Quote from: MarshallDFX on March 21, 2010, 12:33:22 PM

Your midterm assignment:

calculate the odds of your getting each possible grade, based on the number of hours studied, hours of sleep, hours of physical activity, hours of imbibing in toxic substances (bonus points if they're illegal), hours arming, and comprehension of content measured as x(2d*y-(7.4-(x/y)), with x eing the sum of armhours + imbibing/hours studied+hours of sleep.

That equation looks like the 'lot of fun' equation.

~Jack Vance~

I am looking forward to my first one of these based on the awesome people say it is. I have no idea what's due or testing that week, but whatever. :D

I dunno. The last Luirsfest I went to wasn't that spectacular, but the one before it was supracool. Chances are I'll make it to a few events this year, and if previous trends continue, will make an ass out of myself.
Quote from: IAmJacksOpinion on May 20, 2013, 11:16:52 PM
Masks are the Armageddon equivalent of Ed Hardy shirts.

Quote from: a strange shadow on March 19, 2010, 01:23:55 PM
In Kurac, prostitute pwns you.

As I recall, somebody tried to assassinate a certain long-lived Tor, missed, and got whalloped by a few NPCs, including a fat prostitute. Everyone blinked for a minute or two, then the body was carried out, rugs were tossed over the bloodstained floor, and the party kept on partying.

The whore NPC jumped into the fight first if I remember right. The would-be assassin actually got past both noble guards with their attack but was then clobbered instantly by the prostitute. One of Arm's true wtf just happened there moments.
You can't trust any bugger further than you can throw him, and there's nothing you can do about it, so let's have a drink" Dydactylos' philosophical mix of the Cynics, the Stoics and the Epicureans (Small Gods, Terry Pratchett)

Don't feck with the hoes in Luirs!
The sound of a thunderous explosion tears through the air and blasts waves of pressure ripple through the ground.

Looking northward, the rugged, stubble-bearded templar asks you, in sirihish:
     "Well... I think it worked...?"

Quote from: Bast on March 22, 2010, 10:19:48 PM
Don't feck with the hoes in Luirs!

Quote from: scienceAn early study by Plaut and Kohn-Speyer (1947)[11] found that horse smegma had a carcinogenic effect on mice. Heins et al.(1958)

He wears his thigh holster too low. Newb.
It matters not how strait the gate,
How charged with punishments the scroll,
I am the master of my fate:
I am the captain of my soul.

I guess she really wanted that trick.
Nyr: newbs killing newbs
Nyr: hot newb on newb violence
Ath: Mmmmmm, HOT!

More like loozrfest. Seeyou there, bitches.
Free your hate.

Quote from: Reiloth on March 18, 2010, 10:54:38 PM
Hey folks,

It's that time again, mark your calanders.

April 14th-April 19th. Find out Details IC.

Too bad I'm out of town for business that weekened. (Between 15th and 18th.) And the other days? Hell no, they are weekdays and I'm working overtime on a new project during april and may.. :(( I may be able to make it to the fest, but possibly at off-peak hours.. :((
A foreign presence contacts your mind.

You think:
"No! Please leave me be whoever you are."

You sense a foreign presence withdraw from your mind.

I have a feeling I'll miss this one as well, for IC reasons. Just like every single one that has happened so far.

So... have twice the fun, everyone!

There was originally talk of pushing this back a week due to mass college testing and such. Was this ever decided upon?
Squinting at the such-and-such dwarf, the so-and-so woman asks, in sirihish:
     "You put jam in your peenee hole to keep from making baby juice?"

April 14th-April 19th is still the slated date for the festival.
-- Person A OOCs: I totally forgot if everyone is okay with the adult-rated emotes and so forth?

-- Person B OOCs: Does this count as sex or torture? I can't tell.

-- Person A OOCs: I'm going to flip coins now to decide.

Hell, I'll be there. I'm just happy for an RPT I can actually attend.  ;D

YOUR SILLY WISHES HAVE BEEN ANSWERED!

Loorzfest will most likely be delayed due to RL problems amongst many a person.

Stay tuned.

~Jack Vance~

Whining pays off.
Now you're looking for the secret. But you won't find it because of course, you're not really looking. You don't really want to work it out. You want to be fooled.

It wasn't our whining. It was his computer exploding.  :o

And for a completely unrelated reason having nothing to do with his sudden and timely computer troubles, I now owe Ghost 20 bucks.
Quote from: Marauder Moe
Oh my god he's still rocking the sandwich.

April 07, 2010, 07:38:52 AM #45 Last Edit: April 07, 2010, 10:08:09 AM by Lizzie
Yes, thanks to the complaints of the masses  ;D, we have narrowed it down:

Luirsfest will be held on Monday  :D , June 7. The first batch of events will occur at 8:30AM  ;) , Eastern Time and end no later than 10:15AM  8) , Eastern. The second batch of events will begin at  :P 5:20PM Eastern, and the End Of Luirsfest Ceremony will finish no later than 7:35PM EST.  :o

These are the exact times that the majority of the playerbase can attend  :) . Some of the people running it might also attend.  :D

Edited to add smiley faces so that the uninitiated to LizzieHumor would know this was a joke.

Quote from: Lizzie on April 07, 2010, 07:38:52 AM
Yes, thanks to the complaints of the masses, we have narrowed it down:

Luirsfest will be held on Monday, June 7. The first batch of events will occur at 8:30AM, Eastern Time and end no later than 10:15AM, Eastern. The second batch of events will begin at 5:20PM Eastern, and the End Of Luirsfest Ceremony will finish no later than 7:35PM EST.

These are the exact times that the majority of the playerbase can attend. Some of the people running it might also attend.

Did someone pee in your spice ale? I guess it's all sarcasm, with those posted times and all but I suggest you don't post fake times/dates. Sarcasm and irony don't always carry over well in text and it's easy to be confused. Getting people to coordinate and plan their RPT attendance is difficult as it is.

I don't care if people can't show up because of exams and what have you, but apparently it was a problem for quite a few among us. I'm surprised that someone who is organizing the event takes on that kind of approach you're displaying (in the quoted post and the one on the previous page). Makes the whole thing less appealing for me, from an OOC perspective. IC is another matter. And yeah, I know how much work and how frustrating it is/can be to plan a big RPT.

Makes me wonder if it'll be a one-day event or if we'll get accurate times/dates from Reiloth eventually. *shrugs*

QuoteLoorzfest will most likely be delayed due to RL problems amongst many a person.

Methinks the date isn't being changed only because of players not being able to attend, but organizer's/staffer's time also.

No biggie. Hopefully the dates/times will be posted ICly too.

Luirsfest is canceled until further notice.

Thanks for understanding.
-- Person A OOCs: I totally forgot if everyone is okay with the adult-rated emotes and so forth?

-- Person B OOCs: Does this count as sex or torture? I can't tell.

-- Person A OOCs: I'm going to flip coins now to decide.