What do gemmed elementalists do?

Started by Pheonix, January 12, 2010, 01:44:19 PM

I don't think I've ever seen anyone try to brawl a magicker in the Gaj ... I must be missing the busy nights.
Quote from: Marauder Moe
Oh my god he's still rocking the sandwich.

Quote from: musashi on January 30, 2010, 10:10:22 AM
I don't think I've ever seen anyone try to brawl a magicker in the Gaj ... I must be missing the busy nights.

It has happened.   8)

Quote from: DustMight on January 30, 2010, 08:43:45 AM

If I were a gemmed wearing magicker (thus outted) and someone tried to "brawl" me, I would utter such a curse about doing such evil magicky things to them that they would fear ever taking another sip of water, closing their eyes when they are alone...etc..etc.... and do it over the way.

I truly doubt that the fear of magick would be so minor that the average joe would pick a fight with you.  It would seem, to me, to be like picking a fight with an invisible mul whose abilities you don't know.

Just be careful who you do this to a LOT of PCs are far more complex and interesting than you first might think. A good indication is their attitude and their visible gear. If they're threatening a lot with words they probably don't have much to back it up, but if they're very sure of themselves it's a sure sign you're messin' with the wrong person.

I think the same applies to magickers though. If they start emoting cantrips to scare a seasoned fighter off he may realize the magicker is relying on too much gimmickery to be any real danger.

I like to think of every PC i meet as an RL cat of their size. They'll hiss at first, and usually not too loudly if they're already hoping to pounce you. The predator does not want to scare you off. If they start toying with you you're in for a surprise.

Quote from: Morrolan on July 16, 2013, 01:43:41 AM
And there was some dwarf smoking spice, and I thought that was so scandalous because I'd only been playing in 'nak.

Quote from: janeshephard on January 30, 2010, 11:18:24 AM

I think the same applies to magickers though. If they start emoting cantrips to scare a seasoned fighter off he may realize the magicker is relying on too much gimmickery to be any real danger

This might be a mistake when a seasoned magicker might warn you by RPing how truly scary he is.  He might not just rely on the code to interact with you.  In fact, typically my magicky emotes get stronger the greater the strength of the mage, typically.  Wiping out a spell and sending your character to the silt sea might solve the problem, but it isn't fun and isn't as impressive without a few emotes and warnings, first.  It is efficient, though, so it all depends.

Your average Commoner Joe has no idea what the hell an elementalist can do, seasoned fighter or no. The concept of 'gimmicks' is purely on an OOC level. When a Whiran starts stirring up gusts of wind to put your hair in your eyes or the ground begins to shake and rattle as you piss off a Rukkian or (insert cantrip here) -- as far as you know ICly, they could be preparing to animate the steel dragon and eat off your head (even if you already know OOCly that they can't do that). They're being magickal, and about ninety percent of mundane PCs don't know do-diddly about what said magick might contain.

Code is the meat of a magicker, but there's plenty of stuff your character can reasonably roleplay without resorting to blasting the face off a person with magick, and more or less all of it should be treated like someone is trying to blast your face off with magick (within reason and etc, of course -- a Whiran's cantrips might be subtle, while all the fires in the room roaring to life as a Krathi gets pissy is very much so a 'RUN FOR THE MOUNTAINS' moment).

Also, gemmer VS mundane barfights are always awesome. Conflict makes the world go round.  8)

Yeah, jane, your perspective is coming from the wrong kinda world... here in Arm, if someone's doing magick, the majority of the people around said person don't care if it's a gimmick or their doom racing upon them... because they will assume it is their doom racing upon them.

Yes, some may still have the balls to proceed with their designs for beating a gemmer's ass... but I warn you, powerful gemmers are SCARY.  Average citizen VS gemmer, should be thought of as normal person in the real world VS special forces wearing a dynamite vest.
Quote from: MalifaxisWe need to listen to spawnloser.
Quote from: Reiterationspawnloser knows all

Quote from: SpoonA magicker is kind of like a mousetrap, the fear is the cheese. But this cheese has an AK47.

I personally love that newbies aren't as afraid of wigglers as they should be. Sure it's not very IC. But fuck do I love surprising people.

ProTip: Every magicker class has the ability to fuck up your 100+ day warrior without ever breaking a sweat, if their player is remotely intelligent, or well versed in 'gicker code.

Quote from: RogueGunslinger on January 30, 2010, 10:37:38 PM
I personally love that newbies aren't as afraid of wigglers as they should be. Sure it's not very IC. But fuck do I love surprising people.

ProTip: Every magicker class has the ability to fuck up your 100+ day warrior without ever breaking a sweat, if their player is remotely intelligent, or well versed in 'gicker code.

Seconded.  There's a reason they are karma-restricted.
Quote from: ZoltanWhen in doubt, play dangerous, awkward or intense situations to the hilt, every time.

The Official GDB Hate Cycle

What do gemmed magickers do?

Buy clothes.  Buy spice.  Buy booze.  Be comfortably middle-class.
"I have seen him show most of the attributes one expects of a noble: courtesy, kindness, and honor.  I would also say he is one of the most bloodthirsty bastards I have ever met."

Quote from: Morrolan on February 02, 2010, 08:58:18 PM
What do gemmed magickers do?

Buy clothes.  Buy spice.  Buy booze.  Be comfortably middle-class.

LOL. 

February 10, 2010, 07:13:37 AM #35 Last Edit: February 10, 2010, 07:20:56 AM by Reiteration
Quote from: Reverend Green on January 29, 2010, 06:38:17 PM
Generally?

Spamcasting in the [REDACTED] because of the regen, broken up by bouts of gemmer-on-gemmer mudsex.

Gemmer on gemmer mudsex, thats the actual reason behind all the burned down buildings. Mudsex with gemmers involves fireballs, water raining from the sky and duststorms manifesting in seconds, and if they get close enough to resupplying their edible baby stash, you end up with something similar to what happened with Tuluk in Year 64 of the 19th Age. If they say otherwise, they're lieing, don't trust them sneaky gemmers.
"Brain wave, main wave"
Psycho got a high kick
Collect and select
Show me your best set

They mudsex to resupply their edible baby stash ofc.

Quote from: Akaramu on February 10, 2010, 08:08:54 AM
They mudsex to resupply their edible baby stash ofc.

It's the only way to cast 'mon un fart of doom'! What are they supposed to do, actually go through the trouble of -abducting- babies?!
Quote from: nessalin on July 11, 2016, 02:48:32 PM
Trunk
hidden by 'body/torso'
hides nipples

Quote from: Zoltan on February 12, 2010, 11:14:41 AM
What are they supposed to do, actually go through the trouble of -abducting- babies?!

Right. That would be dabbling in serious gipsy business.

Gemmed Elementalists assist the Templarate and their Temples in tasks that are definitely 'Find out IC'.

They are also employed by House Oash in some capacity, though to what extent, would not be known to the common populace.
"You will have useful work: the destruction of evil men. What work could be more useful? This is Beyond; you will find that your work is never done -- So therefore you may never know a life of peace."

~Jack Vance~

Quote from: Pheonix on January 12, 2010, 01:44:19 PM
I'm more interested in what the virtual gemmed elementalists do during their time, although I think that would also include what NPC and PC gemmed elementalists would do as well?

Are there social ranks, clans, guilds, and so on? There's a whole quarter dedicated to them...what do they do with that space?

Are there documentation about gemmed elementalists that I've passed over, that might have more detail on this?

Would anyone be willing to come up with more documentation (or are there plans in the future) for this?

Before wall of text, I'm going to summarize my thoughts right here: Being a mage doesn't make you who you are, it makes up a part of who you are.

The gemmed do whatever they can to get by. Just because you're a mage doesn't mean you're using your powers to earn a living. You could have Whiran powers and still be a tailor who never once used their powers. Basically, just because they're there doesn't mean that a mage needs to or wants to ever use them. Allanaki are taught that magick is basically dangerous, evil, and a perversion. There's more than likely some mages out there that buy into this themselves, and as a result don't ever even try anything with their powers.

The people of Allanak do not like you, trust you, or even necessarily want to be in the same room as you. There's plenty of superstitions around of mages, and in general it's just easier for most citizens to ignore and steer clear of mages than to be the one guy who wants to hopefully disprove the superstitions. The Elementalist Quarter is there to keep you away from the Allanaki population, not the other way around. People don't want you near them and don't want to bother with you. Some might openly hate you for what you are. These reactions affect gemmers in a variety of different ways, and each may be a different person for it. One might try to be more nicer and self-sacrificing to gain friends or trust, the other might be more cynical and jaded. The choice is up to you, the player.

Some mages get permanent employment from Oash or the Templarate. These are probably the rarest and richest. How gemmers, in general, react to this, whether being jealous, proud, or thinking them sell-outs, has never really been discussed or elaborated on. It's basically up to the player themself to decide. Other mages might open up a shop or try to deal as much with other mages as possible, because it's people they can relate to. There's likely an entire VNPC economy in the Elementalist Quarter that deals in anything from prostitution to construction, just because people are so reluctant to deal with mages and would rather pass up an offer than take a chance with them. There's no limit to jobs that mages can perform, however. A Krathi might hunt down big game and use his powers to take down a mekillot, then skin it up and sell its parts to a middle-man to distribute. Whatever a mage can do to get by, they will.

The only really known 'clan' would be the Council of Allanaki Mages, which is OOCly shut down at this time. I'm not sure if it's ICly open/active with VNPCs or was shut down in that part either though. The only thing known about them would be in that clan title: they're Allanaki mages. The rest is IC info. Outside of that, there's not really any widely-known or official power structure in the Elementalist Quarter. No ranks, no titles, nothing. Virtually, I've always looked at it as a miniature city inside of Allanak, that could fulfill all of the gemmed's needs without them having to leave and bother the honest citizens of Allanak.

Hope that helps.

No, Council of Mages was not OOCly shutdown.  The only form of official permanent employment is House Oash.  Others, including Templars could make other arrangements with individual gemmed, however.
Quote from: MalifaxisWe need to listen to spawnloser.
Quote from: Reiterationspawnloser knows all

Quote from: SpoonA magicker is kind of like a mousetrap, the fear is the cheese. But this cheese has an AK47.

QuoteIf I were a gemmed wearing magicker (thus outted) and someone tried to "brawl" me, I would utter such a curse about doing such evil magicky things to them that they would fear ever taking another sip of water, closing their eyes when they are alone...etc..etc.... and do it over the way.

I truly doubt that the fear of magick would be so minor that the average joe would pick a fight with you.  It would seem, to me, to be like picking a fight with an invisible mul whose abilities you don't know.

Agreed. I probably made it seem more aggro that it usually is. Brawls do happen from time to time simply because you're gemmed (usually from bold newbz), but it's far more common to get:

The bynner looks at you, turning his gaze idly down the bar.
Eyes flitting to your neck, the bynner snears and looks away.

QuoteProTip: Every magicker class has the ability to fuck up your 100+ day warrior without ever breaking a sweat, if their player is remotely intelligent, or well versed in 'gicker code.
IDK about the sweat part, but yeah, assuming a magicker is gunning for you and is pretty high-branched, you're in danger, no matter their flavor.

Quote from: musashiengaging in autoerotic asphyxiation is no excuse for sloppy grammer!!!

Armageddon.org

Quote from: spawnloser on February 13, 2010, 11:33:04 AM
No, Council of Mages was not OOCly shutdown.  The only form of official permanent employment is House Oash.  Others, including Templars could make other arrangements with individual gemmed, however.

I think it would be broadly known that the Council was declared to be an illegal entity during a Senate meeting and was therefore officially disbanded.

It should be part of the history document, in my opinion.
Lunch makes me happy.

Quote from: Salt Merchant on February 13, 2010, 12:47:35 PM
Quote from: spawnloser on February 13, 2010, 11:33:04 AM

I think it would be broadly known that the Council was declared to be an illegal entity during a Senate meeting and was therefore officially disbanded.

It should be part of the history document, in my opinion.

I agree this would at least be part of "What Your Character Would Know" for Allanak characters, though some Tuluk and even tribal characters might never have heard of the Council of Mages. To them it would be "something your character might have heard of or recognize the name of, but not necessarily know anything about."

Either way, regardless of what your character would know ICly, OOCly, the CAM is shut down and no longer available to play. For whatever IC reason.
Talia said: Notice to all: Do not mess with Lizzie's GDB. She will cut you.
Delirium said: Notice to all: do not mess with Lizzie's soap. She will cut you.

Quote from: Reiteration on February 10, 2010, 07:13:37 AM
Generally?

Spamcasting in the [REDACTED] because of the regen, broken up by bouts of gemmer-on-gemmer mudsex.

Gemmer on gemmer mudsex, thats the actual reason behind all the burned down buildings. Mudsex with gemmers involves fireballs, water raining from the sky and duststorms manifesting in seconds, and if they get close enough to resupplying their edible baby stash, you end up with something similar to what happened with Tuluk in Year 64 of the 19th Age. If they say otherwise, they're lieing, don't trust them sneaky gemmers.

You posit that the last HRPT was caused by gemmer mudsex?

Quote from: hyzhenhok on February 24, 2010, 04:56:11 AM
Generally?

What other cause could there be?
One day that wall is gonna fall.

Quote from: Agent Noun on February 24, 2010, 07:14:20 AM
Generally?

Exactly, ALWAYS BLAME THE GEMMER
"Brain wave, main wave"
Psycho got a high kick
Collect and select
Show me your best set

Quote from: Reiteration on February 24, 2010, 08:45:30 AM
Quote from: Agent Noun on February 24, 2010, 07:14:20 AM

Exactly, ALWAYS BLAME THE GEMMER

You remember that one time some gith decided they wanted to throw a rave in Allanak? Fuckin' gemmers, man.
One day that wall is gonna fall.

Quote from: DustMight on January 30, 2010, 08:43:45 AM

Yet it happens at least twice a week (rl), that someone tries to brawl/beat up/threaten physically a gemmer, they don't know and have just met in the Gaj.

Who's wrong, the people who think that gemmers are too scary to get hit.. or, the people acting "IC" who know they can beat up a gemmer?