What do gemmed elementalists do?

Started by Pheonix, January 12, 2010, 01:44:19 PM

I'm more interested in what the virtual gemmed elementalists do during their time, although I think that would also include what NPC and PC gemmed elementalists would do as well?

Are there social ranks, clans, guilds, and so on? There's a whole quarter dedicated to them...what do they do with that space?

Are there documentation about gemmed elementalists that I've passed over, that might have more detail on this?

Would anyone be willing to come up with more documentation (or are there plans in the future) for this?

you know the normal stuff...Eats babies..sacrifice animals to our elemental masters... all that stuff... ;) seriously though you should play one and find out.
The sound of a thunderous explosion tears through the air and blasts waves of pressure ripple through the ground.

Looking northward, the rugged, stubble-bearded templar asks you, in sirihish:
     "Well... I think it worked...?"

Quote from: Pheonix on January 12, 2010, 01:44:19 PM
I'm more interested in what the virtual gemmed elementalists do during their time, although I think that would also include what NPC and PC gemmed elementalists would do as well?

Realistically, their lives don't have too much of a variance from the mundane Allanaki. They go about their work and get employed by people and organizations that would hire a gemmed magicker, hang out in taverns that accept them, in addition to spending time practicing in their temple, probably (unless they are suppressing their power on purpose).

Are there social ranks, clans, guilds, and so on? There's a whole quarter dedicated to them...what do they do with that space?

There are clans that easily hire gemmers, some that will refuse to do it entirely, and some that may be in between. House Oash is pretty notable for being a House that takes on gemmed people as employees.

As for the quarter question: take a look around with a character that would do such a thing and see!

Are there documentation about gemmed elementalists that I've passed over, that might have more detail on this?

Would anyone be willing to come up with more documentation (or are there plans in the future) for this?

Quote from: http://www.armageddon.org/rp/magick/magickfaq.html#gems
What are the gems for elementalists in Allanak?

Registered elementalists are forced to wear the gems, ostensibly to openly display their profession. Speculations, although not made in front of the templarate, suggest that the gems may be used to monitor or police elementalists as well. Some have gone so far as to suggest that Tektolnes uses the gem to siphon elemental power from magick users, although this seems far-fetched.

That's about all there is on the site, but then again, that's about all there is to say. Looking past the prejudice they are victim to, their status as an abomination in a place that tolerates them for their usefulness and nothing more... looking past all that, a gemmed person is just an Allanaki citizen with an elemental affinity.

The majority of gemmed citizens probably lead rather mundane lives, they're normal people after all, they're not wizards or sorcerors seeking magic or arcane knowledge - they're just people who have been gifted/cursed with an elemental affinity. Each of the temples could be considered a 'clan' in a sense, it's a group of people linked together solely by their shared deformity. To some, it's a support network, to others it's where they study their powers, to most it's the only place they feel safe in an increasingly hostile city and isolated quarter.

The best thing about elementalists in Arm is that they're normal people. They are people first, elementalists second and mages a distant third.

Quote from: Bast on January 12, 2010, 02:00:34 PMseriously though you should play one and find out.
This.

And I certainly don't mean it as a rebuke.  It's simply that the transition from commoner to gemmed, where you learn all this stuff, is incredibly fun to play out.

Quote from: Marauder Moe on January 12, 2010, 04:30:32 PM
And I certainly don't mean it as a rebuke.  It's simply that the transition from commoner to gemmed, where you learn all this stuff, is incredibly fun to play out.

I agree with this whole-heartedly.  Play an elementalist for a 24-hour day or two as if they didn't have any magickal powers, and then RP through the "manifestation" process.  Your character's friends may turn on him or her, and bad things may happen, but it's the best way to flesh out the person behind the magicker, and also to experience the transition into gemmed society.
Quote from: ZoltanWhen in doubt, play dangerous, awkward or intense situations to the hilt, every time.

The Official GDB Hate Cycle

I recommend staying ungemmed a little longer, even.  My favorite gemmer character went 15 days played before taking the gem.  I'm used to long-lived characters, though.

They buttle.
Eastman: he came out of the east to do battle with The Amazing Rando!

Quote from: Niamh on January 12, 2010, 08:13:33 PM
They buttle.

I didn't believe this was a word until I checked.

but⋅tle –verb (used without object), -tled, -tling. Slang.
to work or serve as a butler.
Origin:
1865–70; back formation from butler
Dictionary.com Unabridged
Based on the Random House Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2009.
Quote from: Riev on June 12, 2019, 02:20:04 PM
Do you kill your sparring partners once they are useless to you, so that you are king?

QuoteWhat do gemmed elementalists do?

Whatever the templar(s) tell them to do.
-- Person A OOCs: I totally forgot if everyone is okay with the adult-rated emotes and so forth?

-- Person B OOCs: Does this count as sex or torture? I can't tell.

-- Person A OOCs: I'm going to flip coins now to decide.

They Mostly end up being abused by Templars because they don't understand what templars are capable of...

And they also die alot.

They are, in all respects, commoners.

Think of the gem as nothing more than a gold star in the holocaust. It's a means of identification. You will be persecuted for wearing it. You will be hated for wearing it. There's a 60% chance that a Bynner will brawl you for wearing it. You may even be killed for wearing it. (Make no mistake, gemmers aren't being rounded up and offed by the Templarate. JUST identified.

The trade-off is that, after you put it on, the Templarate won't kill you (without a decent reason to, of course.) Side advantages are; you can seek out a job with House Oash (which is noted for hiring gemmed), and you gain access to a temple in which you can chill-out, practice magick, sleep, and store stuff.

Apart from that, you are given nothing. You aren't a member of a clan just because you have a gem. You don't get a salary, and you aren't given jobs. Many gemmers are also crafters, miners, foragers, etc.

So to answer your question, as it has been said, Gemmers are just commoners doing common things.
Quote from: musashiengaging in autoerotic asphyxiation is no excuse for sloppy grammer!!!

Armageddon.org

QuoteWhat to demmed elementalists do?

Masturbate.

QuoteWhat to demmed elementalists do?

Stuff.  And things.
Quote from: ZoltanWhen in doubt, play dangerous, awkward or intense situations to the hilt, every time.

Quote from: Myrdryn on January 14, 2010, 01:58:24 AM
QuoteWhat do gemmed elementalists do?

Whatever the templar(s) tell them to do.

And they eat babies.
-- Person A OOCs: I totally forgot if everyone is okay with the adult-rated emotes and so forth?

-- Person B OOCs: Does this count as sex or torture? I can't tell.

-- Person A OOCs: I'm going to flip coins now to decide.

> craft travel.cake
> You could make a cute looking baby from that.
> craft travel.cake into a cute looking baby
> You hold the travel cake out from a nearby hiding spot and wait ...
> A baby approaches to take the travel cake and you pouch on it!
>inv
> You are carrying:
a baby
>taste baby
> This child has a succulent sweet quality to it, the flesh and blood complimenting each other nicely as it screams in anguish.
>inv
> You are carrying:
a half-eaten baby
> wear baby head

I want this.
Quote from: Marauder Moe
Oh my god he's still rocking the sandwich.

Quote from: musashi on January 28, 2010, 01:14:21 AM
> craft travel.cake
> You could make a cute looking baby from that.
> craft travel.cake into a cute looking baby
> You hold the travel cake out from a nearby hiding spot and wait ...
> A baby approaches to take the travel cake and you pouch on it!
>inv
> You are carrying:
a baby
>taste baby
> This child has a succulent sweet quality to it, the flesh and blood complimenting each other nicely as it screams in anguish.
>inv
> You are carrying:
a half-eaten baby
> wear baby head

I want this.

Didn't someone have a baby object once that was coded as a food item as a staff joke?  Only the proud parent actually tried to taste it?  :D

Didn't someone have a baby object once that was coded as a food item as a staff joke?  Only the proud parent actually tried to taste it? 

(laughs hystericaly for a moment) Yes! I remember that.. mmm Mmmm.. tasty children.. makes me want one ... right now..

(attaches a travel cake to a hook on a string and skips off down the street)
The glowing Nessalin Nebula flickers eternally overhead.
This Angers The Shade of Nessalin.

Generally?

Spamcasting in the [REDACTED] because of the regen, broken up by bouts of gemmer-on-gemmer mudsex.
"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard." -- H. L. Mencken

Quote from: Reverend Green on January 29, 2010, 06:38:17 PM
Generally?

Spamcasting in the [REDACTED] because of the regen, broken up by bouts of gemmer-on-gemmer mudsex.

Pretty much what this guy said.
Quote from: Wug
No one on staff is just waiting for the opportunity to get revenge on someone who killed one of their characters years ago.

Except me. I remember every death. And I am coming for you bastards.

Obviously you two have been socializing with the wrong gemmers.   ;)

Quote from: Aaron Goulet on January 29, 2010, 07:01:44 PM
Obviously you two have been socializing playing with the wrong gemmers.   ;)

Fixed.

Also: Yeah, I suck like that.  :-*
Quote from: Wug
No one on staff is just waiting for the opportunity to get revenge on someone who killed one of their characters years ago.

Except me. I remember every death. And I am coming for you bastards.

Quote from: IAmJacksOpinion on January 27, 2010, 09:53:29 PM
Think of the gem as nothing more than a gold star in the holocaust. It's a means of identification. You will be persecuted for wearing it. You will be hated for wearing it. There's a 60% chance that a Bynner will brawl you for wearing it. You may even be killed for wearing it. (Make no mistake, gemmers aren't being rounded up and offed by the Templarate. JUST identified.

If I were a gemmed wearing magicker (thus outted) and someone tried to "brawl" me, I would utter such a curse about doing such evil magicky things to them that they would fear ever taking another sip of water, closing their eyes when they are alone...etc..etc.... and do it over the way.

I truly doubt that the fear of magick would be so minor that the average joe would pick a fight with you.  It would seem, to me, to be like picking a fight with an invisible mul whose abilities you don't know.

If I understand the situation right - I may really be wrong, I'm new in this gemmer business - the moment you show magickal signs anywhere out of your quarters in the city, you are guilty and that includes the cantrip emotes.

The mundane citizen still can't know your standing with the templerate. Hell, you may be a beloved pet of a templar and he may simply offer a slap in the wrist for growing a third arm that continuously punches the commoner that it grew on - hey, a cool idea for a spell! - or you may be a faceless gemmer in the masses, be expendable, get whipped, thrown into the arena or outright killed for just making shadows move and writhe as a drovian.

I wouldn't risk it as a mundane, but I would never risk it as a gemmer.

And again, to emphasize, I can be wrong. Let other, more experienced ARMers confirm or deny.
Q  : Where do you piss?
Yam: On elves.
Q  : And if the area, lacks elves at the given time?
Yam: Scan.

Quote from: evil_erdlu on January 30, 2010, 09:02:56 AM
If I understand the situation right - I may really be wrong, I'm new in this gemmer business - the moment you show magickal signs anywhere out of your quarters in the city, you are guilty and that includes the cantrip emotes.

The mundane citizen still can't know your standing with the templerate. Hell, you may be a beloved pet of a templar and he may simply offer a slap in the wrist for growing a third arm that continuously punches the commoner that it grew on - hey, a cool idea for a spell! - or you may be a faceless gemmer in the masses, be expendable, get whipped, thrown into the arena or outright killed for just making shadows move and writhe as a drovian.

I wouldn't risk it as a mundane, but I would never risk it as a gemmer.

And again, to emphasize, I can be wrong. Let other, more experienced ARMers confirm or deny.

Depends on how much the magicker thinks he can get away with and how he communicates that to the person threatening him.
A simple way and something like "I'll send a creature of fire and sun to burn your children in their beds." should be enough, I would think to keep the average joe at bay.  And don't forget the superstitions surrounding magickers.

And of course - the actual ability of some of them to do something just like that should keep those at bay who have trouble staying IC.

I don't think I've ever seen anyone try to brawl a magicker in the Gaj ... I must be missing the busy nights.
Quote from: Marauder Moe
Oh my god he's still rocking the sandwich.

Quote from: musashi on January 30, 2010, 10:10:22 AM
I don't think I've ever seen anyone try to brawl a magicker in the Gaj ... I must be missing the busy nights.

It has happened.   8)

Quote from: DustMight on January 30, 2010, 08:43:45 AM

If I were a gemmed wearing magicker (thus outted) and someone tried to "brawl" me, I would utter such a curse about doing such evil magicky things to them that they would fear ever taking another sip of water, closing their eyes when they are alone...etc..etc.... and do it over the way.

I truly doubt that the fear of magick would be so minor that the average joe would pick a fight with you.  It would seem, to me, to be like picking a fight with an invisible mul whose abilities you don't know.

Just be careful who you do this to a LOT of PCs are far more complex and interesting than you first might think. A good indication is their attitude and their visible gear. If they're threatening a lot with words they probably don't have much to back it up, but if they're very sure of themselves it's a sure sign you're messin' with the wrong person.

I think the same applies to magickers though. If they start emoting cantrips to scare a seasoned fighter off he may realize the magicker is relying on too much gimmickery to be any real danger.

I like to think of every PC i meet as an RL cat of their size. They'll hiss at first, and usually not too loudly if they're already hoping to pounce you. The predator does not want to scare you off. If they start toying with you you're in for a surprise.

Quote from: Morrolan on July 16, 2013, 01:43:41 AM
And there was some dwarf smoking spice, and I thought that was so scandalous because I'd only been playing in 'nak.

Quote from: janeshephard on January 30, 2010, 11:18:24 AM

I think the same applies to magickers though. If they start emoting cantrips to scare a seasoned fighter off he may realize the magicker is relying on too much gimmickery to be any real danger

This might be a mistake when a seasoned magicker might warn you by RPing how truly scary he is.  He might not just rely on the code to interact with you.  In fact, typically my magicky emotes get stronger the greater the strength of the mage, typically.  Wiping out a spell and sending your character to the silt sea might solve the problem, but it isn't fun and isn't as impressive without a few emotes and warnings, first.  It is efficient, though, so it all depends.

Your average Commoner Joe has no idea what the hell an elementalist can do, seasoned fighter or no. The concept of 'gimmicks' is purely on an OOC level. When a Whiran starts stirring up gusts of wind to put your hair in your eyes or the ground begins to shake and rattle as you piss off a Rukkian or (insert cantrip here) -- as far as you know ICly, they could be preparing to animate the steel dragon and eat off your head (even if you already know OOCly that they can't do that). They're being magickal, and about ninety percent of mundane PCs don't know do-diddly about what said magick might contain.

Code is the meat of a magicker, but there's plenty of stuff your character can reasonably roleplay without resorting to blasting the face off a person with magick, and more or less all of it should be treated like someone is trying to blast your face off with magick (within reason and etc, of course -- a Whiran's cantrips might be subtle, while all the fires in the room roaring to life as a Krathi gets pissy is very much so a 'RUN FOR THE MOUNTAINS' moment).

Also, gemmer VS mundane barfights are always awesome. Conflict makes the world go round.  8)

Yeah, jane, your perspective is coming from the wrong kinda world... here in Arm, if someone's doing magick, the majority of the people around said person don't care if it's a gimmick or their doom racing upon them... because they will assume it is their doom racing upon them.

Yes, some may still have the balls to proceed with their designs for beating a gemmer's ass... but I warn you, powerful gemmers are SCARY.  Average citizen VS gemmer, should be thought of as normal person in the real world VS special forces wearing a dynamite vest.
Quote from: MalifaxisWe need to listen to spawnloser.
Quote from: Reiterationspawnloser knows all

Quote from: SpoonA magicker is kind of like a mousetrap, the fear is the cheese. But this cheese has an AK47.

I personally love that newbies aren't as afraid of wigglers as they should be. Sure it's not very IC. But fuck do I love surprising people.

ProTip: Every magicker class has the ability to fuck up your 100+ day warrior without ever breaking a sweat, if their player is remotely intelligent, or well versed in 'gicker code.

Quote from: RogueGunslinger on January 30, 2010, 10:37:38 PM
I personally love that newbies aren't as afraid of wigglers as they should be. Sure it's not very IC. But fuck do I love surprising people.

ProTip: Every magicker class has the ability to fuck up your 100+ day warrior without ever breaking a sweat, if their player is remotely intelligent, or well versed in 'gicker code.

Seconded.  There's a reason they are karma-restricted.

What do gemmed magickers do?

Buy clothes.  Buy spice.  Buy booze.  Be comfortably middle-class.
"I have seen him show most of the attributes one expects of a noble: courtesy, kindness, and honor.  I would also say he is one of the most bloodthirsty bastards I have ever met."

Quote from: Morrolan on February 02, 2010, 08:58:18 PM
What do gemmed magickers do?

Buy clothes.  Buy spice.  Buy booze.  Be comfortably middle-class.

LOL. 

February 10, 2010, 07:13:37 AM #35 Last Edit: February 10, 2010, 07:20:56 AM by Reiteration
Generally?

Gemmer on gemmer mudsex, thats the actual reason behind all the burned down buildings. Mudsex with gemmers involves fireballs, water raining from the sky and duststorms manifesting in seconds, and if they get close enough to resupplying their edible baby stash, you end up with something similar to what happened with Tuluk in Year 64 of the 19th Age. If they say otherwise, they're lieing, don't trust them sneaky gemmers.
"Brain wave, main wave"
Psycho got a high kick
Collect and select
Show me your best set

They mudsex to resupply their edible baby stash ofc.

Quote from: Akaramu on February 10, 2010, 08:08:54 AM
They mudsex to resupply their edible baby stash ofc.

It's the only way to cast 'mon un fart of doom'! What are they supposed to do, actually go through the trouble of -abducting- babies?!
Quote from: nessalin on July 11, 2016, 02:48:32 PM
Trunk
hidden by 'body/torso'
hides nipples

Quote from: Zoltan on February 12, 2010, 11:14:41 AM
What are they supposed to do, actually go through the trouble of -abducting- babies?!

Right. That would be dabbling in serious gipsy business.

Gemmed Elementalists assist the Templarate and their Temples in tasks that are definitely 'Find out IC'.

They are also employed by House Oash in some capacity, though to what extent, would not be known to the common populace.
"You will have useful work: the destruction of evil men. What work could be more useful? This is Beyond; you will find that your work is never done -- So therefore you may never know a life of peace."

~Jack Vance~

Quote from: Pheonix on January 12, 2010, 01:44:19 PM

Before wall of text, I'm going to summarize my thoughts right here: Being a mage doesn't make you who you are, it makes up a part of who you are.

The gemmed do whatever they can to get by. Just because you're a mage doesn't mean you're using your powers to earn a living. You could have Whiran powers and still be a tailor who never once used their powers. Basically, just because they're there doesn't mean that a mage needs to or wants to ever use them. Allanaki are taught that magick is basically dangerous, evil, and a perversion. There's more than likely some mages out there that buy into this themselves, and as a result don't ever even try anything with their powers.

The people of Allanak do not like you, trust you, or even necessarily want to be in the same room as you. There's plenty of superstitions around of mages, and in general it's just easier for most citizens to ignore and steer clear of mages than to be the one guy who wants to hopefully disprove the superstitions. The Elementalist Quarter is there to keep you away from the Allanaki population, not the other way around. People don't want you near them and don't want to bother with you. Some might openly hate you for what you are. These reactions affect gemmers in a variety of different ways, and each may be a different person for it. One might try to be more nicer and self-sacrificing to gain friends or trust, the other might be more cynical and jaded. The choice is up to you, the player.

Some mages get permanent employment from Oash or the Templarate. These are probably the rarest and richest. How gemmers, in general, react to this, whether being jealous, proud, or thinking them sell-outs, has never really been discussed or elaborated on. It's basically up to the player themself to decide. Other mages might open up a shop or try to deal as much with other mages as possible, because it's people they can relate to. There's likely an entire VNPC economy in the Elementalist Quarter that deals in anything from prostitution to construction, just because people are so reluctant to deal with mages and would rather pass up an offer than take a chance with them. There's no limit to jobs that mages can perform, however. A Krathi might hunt down big game and use his powers to take down a mekillot, then skin it up and sell its parts to a middle-man to distribute. Whatever a mage can do to get by, they will.

The only really known 'clan' would be the Council of Allanaki Mages, which is OOCly shut down at this time. I'm not sure if it's ICly open/active with VNPCs or was shut down in that part either though. The only thing known about them would be in that clan title: they're Allanaki mages. The rest is IC info. Outside of that, there's not really any widely-known or official power structure in the Elementalist Quarter. No ranks, no titles, nothing. Virtually, I've always looked at it as a miniature city inside of Allanak, that could fulfill all of the gemmed's needs without them having to leave and bother the honest citizens of Allanak.

Hope that helps.

No, Council of Mages was not OOCly shutdown.  The only form of official permanent employment is House Oash.  Others, including Templars could make other arrangements with individual gemmed, however.

Quote from: SpoonA magicker is kind of like a mousetrap, the fear is the cheese. But this cheese has an AK47.

QuoteIf I were a gemmed wearing magicker (thus outted) and someone tried to "brawl" me, I would utter such a curse about doing such evil magicky things to them that they would fear ever taking another sip of water, closing their eyes when they are alone...etc..etc.... and do it over the way.

Agreed. I probably made it seem more aggro that it usually is. Brawls do happen from time to time simply because you're gemmed (usually from bold newbz), but it's far more common to get:

The bynner looks at you, turning his gaze idly down the bar.
Eyes flitting to your neck, the bynner snears and looks away.

QuoteProTip: Every magicker class has the ability to fuck up your 100+ day warrior without ever breaking a sweat, if their player is remotely intelligent, or well versed in 'gicker code.
IDK about the sweat part, but yeah, assuming a magicker is gunning for you and is pretty high-branched, you're in danger, no matter their flavor.

Quote from: musashiengaging in autoerotic asphyxiation is no excuse for sloppy grammer!!!

Armageddon.org

Quote from: spawnloser on February 13, 2010, 11:33:04 AM
No, Council of Mages was not OOCly shutdown.  The only form of official permanent employment is House Oash.  Others, including Templars could make other arrangements with individual gemmed, however.

I think it would be broadly known that the Council was declared to be an illegal entity during a Senate meeting and was therefore officially disbanded.

It should be part of the history document, in my opinion.
Lunch makes me happy.

Quote from: Salt Merchant on February 13, 2010, 12:47:35 PM
Quote from: spawnloser on February 13, 2010, 11:33:04 AM

I think it would be broadly known that the Council was declared to be an illegal entity during a Senate meeting and was therefore officially disbanded.

It should be part of the history document, in my opinion.

I agree this would at least be part of "What Your Character Would Know" for Allanak characters, though some Tuluk and even tribal characters might never have heard of the Council of Mages. To them it would be "something your character might have heard of or recognize the name of, but not necessarily know anything about."

Either way, regardless of what your character would know ICly, OOCly, the CAM is shut down and no longer available to play. For whatever IC reason.
Talia said: Notice to all: Do not mess with Lizzie's GDB. She will cut you.
Delirium said: Notice to all: do not mess with Lizzie's soap. She will cut you.

Quote from: Reiteration on February 10, 2010, 07:13:37 AM
Generally?

Gemmer on gemmer mudsex, thats the actual reason behind all the burned down buildings. Mudsex with gemmers involves fireballs, water raining from the sky and duststorms manifesting in seconds, and if they get close enough to resupplying their edible baby stash, you end up with something similar to what happened with Tuluk in Year 64 of the 19th Age. If they say otherwise, they're lieing, don't trust them sneaky gemmers.

You posit that the last HRPT was caused by gemmer mudsex?

Quote from: hyzhenhok on February 24, 2010, 04:56:11 AM
Generally?

What other cause could there be?
One day that wall is gonna fall.

Quote from: Agent Noun on February 24, 2010, 07:14:20 AM
Generally?

Exactly, ALWAYS BLAME THE GEMMER
"Brain wave, main wave"
Psycho got a high kick
Collect and select
Show me your best set

Quote from: Reiteration on February 24, 2010, 08:45:30 AM
Quote from: Agent Noun on February 24, 2010, 07:14:20 AM

Exactly, ALWAYS BLAME THE GEMMER

You remember that one time some gith decided they wanted to throw a rave in Allanak? Fuckin' gemmers, man.
One day that wall is gonna fall.

Yet it happens at least twice a week (rl), that someone tries to brawl/beat up/threaten physically a gemmer, they don't know and have just met in the Gaj.

Who's wrong, the people who think that gemmers are too scary to get hit.. or, the people acting "IC" who know they can beat up a gemmer?

Quote from: maxid on May 14, 2010, 01:04:20 AM

Yet it happens at least twice a week (rl), that someone tries to brawl/beat up/threaten physically a gemmer, they don't know and have just met in the Gaj.

Who's wrong, the people who think that gemmers are too scary to get hit.. or, the people acting "IC" who know they can beat up a gemmer?
Here's something I'm curious about.

If Trooper Amos goes with "kill gemmer" in the Gaj, (instead of hit, so it's not a brawl,) will the gemmer be instant-arrested as well for responding with magick? Or would it have to take a while for the PC Templar/staff to do it?

Also: If it's possible for average joes to attack gemmers, shouldn't a gemmer be entitled to a magickal response that brings about no collateral? (No coded collateral, anyway.)
Quote from: Fathi on March 08, 2018, 06:40:45 PMAnd then I sat there going "really? that was it? that's so stupid."

I still think the best closure you get in Armageddon is just moving on to the next character.

Well.. average Joe slinging his sword around doesn't have as much potential to start a city-wide panic as average gick slinging his lightning bolts around. Just saying. One of those deals that just plays out how it comes, depending on who's involved and what goes down.
A staff member sends you:
"Normally we don't see a <redacted> walk into a room full of <redacted> and start indiscriminately killing."

You send to staff:
"Welcome to Armageddon."

Quote from: Is Friday on May 14, 2010, 05:12:21 AM
If Trooper Amos goes with "kill gemmer" in the Gaj, (instead of hit, so it's not a brawl,) will the gemmer be instant-arrested as well for responding with magick? Or would it have to take a while for the PC Templar/staff to do it?

I'm pretty sure that they'll both be arrested.
- Amos will be crim-flagged for initiating a serious attack, and
- the vile wiggler will be crim-flagged for the action of casting.

Quote from: Is Friday on May 14, 2010, 05:12:21 AM
Also: If it's possible for average joes to attack gemmers, shouldn't a gemmer be entitled to a magickal response that brings about no collateral? (No coded collateral, anyway.)

A gemmer?  Entitled? ;) Look, if gith start popping up out of the sewers, the only lawful action for an elementalist is to beat feet back to his temple and judiciously burninate any smellies that actually come inside.  The gemmed may use magick only in their temples, outside the city, or at the specific authorization of a templar (at which point, fellow players, you should insist on being clanned Arm-of-the-Dragon 'til things settle down).

(However, 'gickers should totally own the streets after dark.)
The sword is sharp, the spear is long,
The arrow swift, the Gate is strong.
The heart is bold that looks on gold;
The dwarves no more shall suffer wrong.

Or you could give a templar 'the shinies' and get away with a lot more.
Now you're looking for the secret. But you won't find it because of course, you're not really looking. You don't really want to work it out. You want to be fooled.

One would think that, but Lord Templar Hardnose can't really do much to save you from being NPC-guard-swarmed unless he's in the room to pardon you immediately.

Quote from: maxid on May 14, 2010, 01:04:20 AMWho's wrong, the people who think that gemmers are too scary to get hit.. or, the people acting "IC" who know they can beat up a gemmer?
Who 'knows' that they can beat up a gemmer?  I think you're confusing metagaming with acting IC.  Just because you, the player, know something about skills and the code means jack crap.  Your character should be scared that his/her naughty fun parts will fall off/out and that his/her hair will become poisonous to himself/herself if the gemmer so much as looks at you funny.  This is backed up by the code.  A strong magicker can kill with one spell.  One action.  No rounds of combat spam, just one simple casting and you see the mantis head.

Quote from: jstorrie on May 15, 2010, 12:55:59 AMOne would think that, but Lord Templar Hardnose can't really do much to save you from being NPC-guard-swarmed unless he's in the room to pardon you immediately.
Incorrect, as already suggested by someone else, if you are clanned AoD you may cast in Nak with impunity... so long as other conditions are not violated (exactly what these are, you should find out IG).

Quote from: spawnloser on May 15, 2010, 07:02:45 AM
Quote from: maxid on May 14, 2010, 01:04:20 AMWho's wrong, the people who think that gemmers are too scary to get hit.. or, the people acting "IC" who know they can beat up a gemmer?
Who 'knows' that they can beat up a gemmer?  I think you're confusing metagaming with acting IC.  Just because you, the player, know something about skills and the code means jack crap.  Your character should be scared that his/her naughty fun parts will fall off/out and that his/her hair will become poisonous to himself/herself if the gemmer so much as looks at you funny.  This is backed up by the code.  A strong magicker can kill with one spell.  One action.  No rounds of combat spam, just one simple casting and you see the mantis head.

You're on my side, quit acting like you're the only one who thinks this way.  I'm actually accusing other people of metagaming and I am bitching about that.

People do not act afraid of magickers in the Gaj.  The way gemmers are treated is at about the level that breeds are treated by the majority of PCs.  Disdain, and eager to beat them up to show them who's boss.  That's annoying, and bullshit.

If some particularly self-destructive toon decides they've had enough of these abominations loitering in their bar, that's their prerogative. There are always exceptions to the rule.  Personally, I've never played a character who would pick a fight with a walking hydrogen bomb, regardless of how uncomfortable they made me feel.
Quote from: scienceAn early study by Plaut and Kohn-Speyer (1947)[11] found that horse smegma had a carcinogenic effect on mice. Heins et al.(1958)

Quote from: maxid on May 15, 2010, 05:52:51 PM
People do not act afraid of magickers in the Gaj.  The way gemmers are treated is at about the level that breeds are treated by the majority of PCs.  Disdain, and eager to beat them up to show them who's boss.

I don't dispute that you've seen unlikely play, but some folks are doing just fine.

Quote from: Ampere on May 15, 2010, 06:27:04 PM
If some particularly self-destructive toon decides they've had enough of these abominations loitering in their bar, that's their prerogative. There are always exceptions to the rule.  Personally, I've never played a character who would pick a fight with a walking hydrogen bomb, regardless of how uncomfortable they made me feel.

I think that magickers as 'walking hydrogen bombs' is a good analogy.  I think one of the reasons people think that open anger and violence against magickers is okay is because, ICly, there are angry mobs congesting the entrance to a certain part of town.  However, if I were to put myself in my character's shoes, knowing what they know, I would feel nervous/uncomfortable about standing neck to someone with freakish, superhuman powers...  Not angry.

Quote from: brytta.leofa on May 15, 2010, 06:57:02 PM

I don't dispute that you've seen unlikely play, but some folks are doing just fine.

That's fair.  Some people play it well.  However, a lot of people do not.

Ignore me, my post made no sense....

I think the operative word here is "mobs." There aren't angry individuals getting all up in gemmers' faces. There are angry mobs. While an individual would likely be angry, and hating on a mage, I don't think it's likely he'd instigate something without an active mob to back him up. So for example...

PC Joe is standing at the corner where the angry mob is. Gemmer comes up the road. PCJoe's player emotes something about how he is one of the many in the crowd hissing and booing. Maybe even PCJoe hides, and becomes one of the anonymous members of that mob, and uses regular emotes so Mage sees "Someone in the midst of an angry mob hisses and boos upon your arrival."

Now, PC Joe is at the Gaj. Mage walks in and has a seat. PC Joe notices that there is no "angry mob" here, and that most people (meaning, the NPCs and VNPCs) are minding their own business, or vomiting on the floor, or farting, or whatever it is they do when they're in the Gaj. No one is actively hating on the mages. Not wanting to risk drawing attention to himself (since angry mobs are mobs, because they're chicken-shit and wouldn't dare try anything as induhviduals), he sits down at the -other- end of the bar from the mage, mutters something unintelligible, and begrudgingly orders an ale. He avoids looking at the mage, because he knows that it'll just draw attention to himself and that mage will recognize him when she needs her monthly human-flesh sacrifice.

Quote from: Lizzie on May 15, 2010, 10:14:54 PM
words

But here's what happens.

PCjoe sees GemPC in the bar.  PCjoe goes over to GemPC, threatens them, spits on them, tries to use brawl code if the GemPC is standing up, and instigates as far as he's able, to the point of walking outside the walls with the magicker, because PCjoe knows that GemPC is actually not all that powerful, due to equipment/etc.

Quote from: maxid on May 15, 2010, 10:29:50 PM
Quote from: Lizzie on May 15, 2010, 10:14:54 PM
words

But here's what happens.

PCjoe sees GemPC in the bar.  PCjoe goes over to GemPC, threatens them, spits on them, tries to use brawl code if the GemPC is standing up, and instigates as far as he's able, to the point of walking outside the walls with the magicker, because PCjoe knows that GemPC is actually not all that powerful, due to equipment/etc.

I've seen this a few times. But, here is what I've seen:

1. PCJoe is a combat-oriented character who's been around for a long time, has done battle against, and beside, mages for years, and really -is- hot shit and can easily take down a mage before the mage can stutter out the chant to cast a spell, and PCJoe knows it, and the mage probably does too.
2. PCJoe is a total and complete noob who has read the documentation but hasn't seen it applied in the game yet, and has interpreted it such that he ends up really really really pissing off a mage, draws his weapon, and gets WTFPWNED by the mage who doesn't have to cast a single spell, because the soldiers show up and gank PCJoe.
3. PCJoe is played by someone who has chosen to intentionally disregard and/or twist the documentation. If it isn't something that can reasonably be handled ICly by the PCs involved, then a wish up to staff, and/or player complaint, will often get the message across.

Depends on the PC and how they were raised and where they're from and whether they're an angry person inside and they have to get that rage out. And it also depends on how the gemmed speaks to the other PC, I think, that really determines how the PC is going to react to the person involved.

to the point of walking outside the walls with the magicker, because PCjoe knows that GemPC is actually not all that powerful, due to equipment/etc.

That's a very dangerous assumption, because PCjoe might not see all of GemPC's equipment.

And just because PCjoe is a 100 day warrior and has taken out five newbie magickers doesn't mean the sixth isn't going to wipe the floor with him.  :P

For some reason the mention of gemmed equipment has raised in my mind new and interesting superstitious conjectures about varied items and magick.

I will have to explore these further in my mind...maybe work out a few myths for some or other of my characters to believe.

Quote from: Akaramu on May 18, 2010, 12:37:31 PM
to the point of walking outside the walls with the magicker, because PCjoe knows that GemPC is actually not all that powerful, due to equipment/etc.

That's a very dangerous assumption, because PCjoe might not see all of GemPC's equipment.

And just because PCjoe is a 100 day warrior and has taken out five newbie magickers doesn't mean the sixth isn't going to wipe the floor with him.  :P

Very dangerous assumption. PCjoe might not see GemPCs friends he went outside the gates to meet either.
It matters not how strait the gate,
How charged with punishments the scroll,
I am the master of my fate:
I am the captain of my soul.

Quote from: spawnloser
Quote from: jstorrie on May 15, 2010, 12:55:59 AMOne would think that, but Lord Templar Hardnose can't really do much to save you from being NPC-guard-swarmed unless he's in the room to pardon you immediately.
Incorrect, as already suggested by someone else, if you are clanned AoD you may cast in Nak with impunity... so long as other conditions are not violated (exactly what these are, you should find out IG).

Not everyone is clanned AoD. Getting a gemmer clanned AoD is something I've seen to be extremely uncommon, given that the AoD doesn't directly employ magickers (they tend to work directly for a templar or Oash, instead, neither of which generally get them 'immune to the law' mode). I get the impression that staff actively discourages gemmers being made crimcode immune, and I can see why, too.

Quote from: Akaramu on May 18, 2010, 12:37:31 PM

Quote from: Dan on May 20, 2010, 10:10:45 PM
Very dangerous assumption. PCjoe might not see GemPCs friends he went outside the gates to meet either.

Right.  I don't know why you guys are explaining this to me.  I completely agree with you, and am bitching about people who act like idiots.

A more productive use of your time in that regard might be playing a scary magicker who shows people why they should be afraid.

Quote from: jstorrie on May 21, 2010, 12:24:27 AM

Not everyone is clanned AoD. Getting a gemmer clanned AoD is something I've seen to be extremely uncommon, given that the AoD doesn't directly employ magickers (they tend to work directly for a templar or Oash, instead, neither of which generally get them 'immune to the law' mode). I get the impression that staff actively discourages gemmers being made crimcode immune, and I can see why, too.

I've been told by a staff member previously that gemmers just aren't supposed to be clanned AoD at all, though god knows it's been done a whole lot.

Quote from: WWYD on May 21, 2010, 06:35:45 AM

I've been told by a staff member previously that gemmers just aren't supposed to be clanned AoD at all, though god knows it's been done a whole lot.

I've been clanned AoD as a gemmer many times, but always temporarily: Like a vivaduan after a massive attack to help heal the wounded masses for example, or a group of magickers assigned to protect the city against nasty things along side the Templarate and soldiers.
But you should rebel as SOON as the ordeal is over, assuming the Templar forgets to dump you.
Quote from: Twilight on January 22, 2013, 08:17:47 PMGreb - To scavenge, forage, and if Whira is with you, loot the dead.
Grebber - One who grebs.

Quote from: FantasyWriter on May 21, 2010, 08:37:45 AM
I've been clanned AoD as a gemmer many times, but always temporarily: Like a vivaduan after a massive attack to help heal the wounded masses for example, or a group of magickers assigned to protect the city against nasty things along side the Templarate and soldiers.

Yeah, that's the sort of thing I meant.  When a gemmer is working attached to an AoD unit and expected to be casting, it's a good idea to clan him for the duration of the RPT or whatever.  (Contrariwise, if the gemmer decides in the midst of things to revoke his citizenship with extreme prejudice, he'd jolly well better rebel first.  Noblesse oblige.)

Quote from: WWYD on May 21, 2010, 06:35:45 AM

I've done it as a templar.  The rule in my day was that you can use it if you want a magicker to cast a spell at your request, but you should immediately dump then when they're done.  I've never let them out of my sight before dumping them, and I think letting them go free to cast with impunity should be enough to get a templar in trouble ICly and OOCly (it's code abuse, if a magicker says to random half-giant soldier #4 "It's alright!  Templar Joe's giving me a pass!"  It's not going to stop him from getting arrested ICly).

Maybe if there was a huge city-wide menace, but in a case like that the crime code should probably be temporarily non-existent anyway.
Back from a long retirement

Have you played in an HRPT in 'nak lately?  That pretty much describes them all.
Quote from: WarriorPoet
I play this game to pretend to chop muthafuckaz up with bone swords.
Quote from: SmuzI come to the GDB to roleplay being deep and wise.
Quote from: VanthSynthesis, you scare me a little bit.

Well, being clanned AoD as a mage doesn't let  you cast with crimcode immunity, it allows for certain spells. A bit of common sense can help you figure out which ones you might not be able to get away with on caravans road with your homies.
A staff member sends you:
"Normally we don't see a <redacted> walk into a room full of <redacted> and start indiscriminately killing."

You send to staff:
"Welcome to Armageddon."