What do gemmed elementalists do?

Started by Pheonix, January 12, 2010, 01:44:19 PM

I'm more interested in what the virtual gemmed elementalists do during their time, although I think that would also include what NPC and PC gemmed elementalists would do as well?

Are there social ranks, clans, guilds, and so on? There's a whole quarter dedicated to them...what do they do with that space?

Are there documentation about gemmed elementalists that I've passed over, that might have more detail on this?

Would anyone be willing to come up with more documentation (or are there plans in the future) for this?

you know the normal stuff...Eats babies..sacrifice animals to our elemental masters... all that stuff... ;) seriously though you should play one and find out.
The sound of a thunderous explosion tears through the air and blasts waves of pressure ripple through the ground.

Looking northward, the rugged, stubble-bearded templar asks you, in sirihish:
     "Well... I think it worked...?"

Quote from: Pheonix on January 12, 2010, 01:44:19 PM
I'm more interested in what the virtual gemmed elementalists do during their time, although I think that would also include what NPC and PC gemmed elementalists would do as well?

Realistically, their lives don't have too much of a variance from the mundane Allanaki. They go about their work and get employed by people and organizations that would hire a gemmed magicker, hang out in taverns that accept them, in addition to spending time practicing in their temple, probably (unless they are suppressing their power on purpose).

Are there social ranks, clans, guilds, and so on? There's a whole quarter dedicated to them...what do they do with that space?

There are clans that easily hire gemmers, some that will refuse to do it entirely, and some that may be in between. House Oash is pretty notable for being a House that takes on gemmed people as employees.

As for the quarter question: take a look around with a character that would do such a thing and see!

Are there documentation about gemmed elementalists that I've passed over, that might have more detail on this?

Would anyone be willing to come up with more documentation (or are there plans in the future) for this?

Quote from: http://www.armageddon.org/rp/magick/magickfaq.html#gems
What are the gems for elementalists in Allanak?

Registered elementalists are forced to wear the gems, ostensibly to openly display their profession. Speculations, although not made in front of the templarate, suggest that the gems may be used to monitor or police elementalists as well. Some have gone so far as to suggest that Tektolnes uses the gem to siphon elemental power from magick users, although this seems far-fetched.

That's about all there is on the site, but then again, that's about all there is to say. Looking past the prejudice they are victim to, their status as an abomination in a place that tolerates them for their usefulness and nothing more... looking past all that, a gemmed person is just an Allanaki citizen with an elemental affinity.

The majority of gemmed citizens probably lead rather mundane lives, they're normal people after all, they're not wizards or sorcerors seeking magic or arcane knowledge - they're just people who have been gifted/cursed with an elemental affinity. Each of the temples could be considered a 'clan' in a sense, it's a group of people linked together solely by their shared deformity. To some, it's a support network, to others it's where they study their powers, to most it's the only place they feel safe in an increasingly hostile city and isolated quarter.

The best thing about elementalists in Arm is that they're normal people. They are people first, elementalists second and mages a distant third.

Quote from: Bast on January 12, 2010, 02:00:34 PMseriously though you should play one and find out.
This.

And I certainly don't mean it as a rebuke.  It's simply that the transition from commoner to gemmed, where you learn all this stuff, is incredibly fun to play out.

Quote from: Marauder Moe on January 12, 2010, 04:30:32 PM
And I certainly don't mean it as a rebuke.  It's simply that the transition from commoner to gemmed, where you learn all this stuff, is incredibly fun to play out.

I agree with this whole-heartedly.  Play an elementalist for a 24-hour day or two as if they didn't have any magickal powers, and then RP through the "manifestation" process.  Your character's friends may turn on him or her, and bad things may happen, but it's the best way to flesh out the person behind the magicker, and also to experience the transition into gemmed society.
Quote from: ZoltanWhen in doubt, play dangerous, awkward or intense situations to the hilt, every time.

The Official GDB Hate Cycle

I recommend staying ungemmed a little longer, even.  My favorite gemmer character went 15 days played before taking the gem.  I'm used to long-lived characters, though.

They buttle.
Eastman: he came out of the east to do battle with The Amazing Rando!

Quote from: Niamh on January 12, 2010, 08:13:33 PM
They buttle.

I didn't believe this was a word until I checked.

but⋅tle –verb (used without object), -tled, -tling. Slang.
to work or serve as a butler.
Origin:
1865–70; back formation from butler
Dictionary.com Unabridged
Based on the Random House Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2009.
Quote from: Riev on June 12, 2019, 02:20:04 PM
Do you kill your sparring partners once they are useless to you, so that you are king?

QuoteWhat do gemmed elementalists do?

Whatever the templar(s) tell them to do.
-- Person A OOCs: I totally forgot if everyone is okay with the adult-rated emotes and so forth?

-- Person B OOCs: Does this count as sex or torture? I can't tell.

-- Person A OOCs: I'm going to flip coins now to decide.

They Mostly end up being abused by Templars because they don't understand what templars are capable of...

And they also die alot.

They are, in all respects, commoners.

Think of the gem as nothing more than a gold star in the holocaust. It's a means of identification. You will be persecuted for wearing it. You will be hated for wearing it. There's a 60% chance that a Bynner will brawl you for wearing it. You may even be killed for wearing it. (Make no mistake, gemmers aren't being rounded up and offed by the Templarate. JUST identified.

The trade-off is that, after you put it on, the Templarate won't kill you (without a decent reason to, of course.) Side advantages are; you can seek out a job with House Oash (which is noted for hiring gemmed), and you gain access to a temple in which you can chill-out, practice magick, sleep, and store stuff.

Apart from that, you are given nothing. You aren't a member of a clan just because you have a gem. You don't get a salary, and you aren't given jobs. Many gemmers are also crafters, miners, foragers, etc.

So to answer your question, as it has been said, Gemmers are just commoners doing common things.
Quote from: musashiengaging in autoerotic asphyxiation is no excuse for sloppy grammer!!!

Armageddon.org

QuoteWhat to demmed elementalists do?

Masturbate.

QuoteWhat to demmed elementalists do?

Stuff.  And things.
Quote from: ZoltanWhen in doubt, play dangerous, awkward or intense situations to the hilt, every time.

Quote from: Myrdryn on January 14, 2010, 01:58:24 AM
QuoteWhat do gemmed elementalists do?

Whatever the templar(s) tell them to do.

And they eat babies.
-- Person A OOCs: I totally forgot if everyone is okay with the adult-rated emotes and so forth?

-- Person B OOCs: Does this count as sex or torture? I can't tell.

-- Person A OOCs: I'm going to flip coins now to decide.

> craft travel.cake
> You could make a cute looking baby from that.
> craft travel.cake into a cute looking baby
> You hold the travel cake out from a nearby hiding spot and wait ...
> A baby approaches to take the travel cake and you pouch on it!
>inv
> You are carrying:
a baby
>taste baby
> This child has a succulent sweet quality to it, the flesh and blood complimenting each other nicely as it screams in anguish.
>inv
> You are carrying:
a half-eaten baby
> wear baby head

I want this.
Quote from: Marauder Moe
Oh my god he's still rocking the sandwich.

Quote from: musashi on January 28, 2010, 01:14:21 AM
> craft travel.cake
> You could make a cute looking baby from that.
> craft travel.cake into a cute looking baby
> You hold the travel cake out from a nearby hiding spot and wait ...
> A baby approaches to take the travel cake and you pouch on it!
>inv
> You are carrying:
a baby
>taste baby
> This child has a succulent sweet quality to it, the flesh and blood complimenting each other nicely as it screams in anguish.
>inv
> You are carrying:
a half-eaten baby
> wear baby head

I want this.

Didn't someone have a baby object once that was coded as a food item as a staff joke?  Only the proud parent actually tried to taste it?  :D

Didn't someone have a baby object once that was coded as a food item as a staff joke?  Only the proud parent actually tried to taste it? 

(laughs hystericaly for a moment) Yes! I remember that.. mmm Mmmm.. tasty children.. makes me want one ... right now..

(attaches a travel cake to a hook on a string and skips off down the street)
The glowing Nessalin Nebula flickers eternally overhead.
This Angers The Shade of Nessalin.

Generally?

Spamcasting in the [REDACTED] because of the regen, broken up by bouts of gemmer-on-gemmer mudsex.
"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard." -- H. L. Mencken

Quote from: Reverend Green on January 29, 2010, 06:38:17 PM
Generally?

Spamcasting in the [REDACTED] because of the regen, broken up by bouts of gemmer-on-gemmer mudsex.

Pretty much what this guy said.
Quote from: Wug
No one on staff is just waiting for the opportunity to get revenge on someone who killed one of their characters years ago.

Except me. I remember every death. And I am coming for you bastards.

Obviously you two have been socializing with the wrong gemmers.   ;)

Quote from: Aaron Goulet on January 29, 2010, 07:01:44 PM
Obviously you two have been socializing playing with the wrong gemmers.   ;)

Fixed.

Also: Yeah, I suck like that.  :-*
Quote from: Wug
No one on staff is just waiting for the opportunity to get revenge on someone who killed one of their characters years ago.

Except me. I remember every death. And I am coming for you bastards.

Quote from: IAmJacksOpinion on January 27, 2010, 09:53:29 PM
Think of the gem as nothing more than a gold star in the holocaust. It's a means of identification. You will be persecuted for wearing it. You will be hated for wearing it. There's a 60% chance that a Bynner will brawl you for wearing it. You may even be killed for wearing it. (Make no mistake, gemmers aren't being rounded up and offed by the Templarate. JUST identified.

If I were a gemmed wearing magicker (thus outted) and someone tried to "brawl" me, I would utter such a curse about doing such evil magicky things to them that they would fear ever taking another sip of water, closing their eyes when they are alone...etc..etc.... and do it over the way.

I truly doubt that the fear of magick would be so minor that the average joe would pick a fight with you.  It would seem, to me, to be like picking a fight with an invisible mul whose abilities you don't know.

If I understand the situation right - I may really be wrong, I'm new in this gemmer business - the moment you show magickal signs anywhere out of your quarters in the city, you are guilty and that includes the cantrip emotes.

The mundane citizen still can't know your standing with the templerate. Hell, you may be a beloved pet of a templar and he may simply offer a slap in the wrist for growing a third arm that continuously punches the commoner that it grew on - hey, a cool idea for a spell! - or you may be a faceless gemmer in the masses, be expendable, get whipped, thrown into the arena or outright killed for just making shadows move and writhe as a drovian.

I wouldn't risk it as a mundane, but I would never risk it as a gemmer.

And again, to emphasize, I can be wrong. Let other, more experienced ARMers confirm or deny.
Q  : Where do you piss?
Yam: On elves.
Q  : And if the area, lacks elves at the given time?
Yam: Scan.

Quote from: evil_erdlu on January 30, 2010, 09:02:56 AM
If I understand the situation right - I may really be wrong, I'm new in this gemmer business - the moment you show magickal signs anywhere out of your quarters in the city, you are guilty and that includes the cantrip emotes.

The mundane citizen still can't know your standing with the templerate. Hell, you may be a beloved pet of a templar and he may simply offer a slap in the wrist for growing a third arm that continuously punches the commoner that it grew on - hey, a cool idea for a spell! - or you may be a faceless gemmer in the masses, be expendable, get whipped, thrown into the arena or outright killed for just making shadows move and writhe as a drovian.

I wouldn't risk it as a mundane, but I would never risk it as a gemmer.

And again, to emphasize, I can be wrong. Let other, more experienced ARMers confirm or deny.

Depends on how much the magicker thinks he can get away with and how he communicates that to the person threatening him.
A simple way and something like "I'll send a creature of fire and sun to burn your children in their beds." should be enough, I would think to keep the average joe at bay.  And don't forget the superstitions surrounding magickers.

And of course - the actual ability of some of them to do something just like that should keep those at bay who have trouble staying IC.