Friendly Elves - Do they exist?

Started by John, January 02, 2010, 09:45:25 PM

I seriously think Rindan's post should be added to an Elven Roleplay section.

QuoteActually, if you want my vision of a perfect "friendly" elf, watch SLC Punk!  Mark, the rich guy who gets paranoid about people constantly stealing from him, happily steals without a second thought just for fun, but is an otherwise friendly guy is the perfect elf in my opinion.  He is xenophobic and loves to steal for the sake of stealing, but still a friendly guy.

Freakin' awesome connection! I haven't seen that movie in years.

I don't know if it's been said, but I think an elf could also be "friendly" to reap it's advantages. Acting 'friendly' puts people at ease. The elf that always picks up the first round for his mercenary comrades is the last elf on the list of skulls to thump when the question, "Who took the newb boots from my locker?" gets asked. (The last elf because obviously no amount of booze or good time will ever lift the human's suspicion of the elf once something goes missing.)

Additionally, being friendly is a spectacular way to gauge trust. In the documents it clearly states that elves cannot trust outsiders unless they've passed YEARS[/b][/u] of "trust tests." (Which is a facet of elven roleplay that seems to get ignored too often for it's immediate advantages.) 'If I buy first round, will he buy second?', 'If I ask him to load my pack on his inix while we're on this contract, will everything be in it when I get it back?', 'If I hang in the ring with him and take just a couple more solid hits, will he disengage when I start looking too banged up?'

An elf could very well be friendly just to reap the tactical advantages, if nothing else.
Quote from: musashiengaging in autoerotic asphyxiation is no excuse for sloppy grammer!!!

Armageddon.org

Quote from: IAmJacksOpinion on January 23, 2010, 10:15:48 AMAn elf could very well be friendly just to reap the tactical advantages, if nothing else.

This was my original point here.  Not every elf needs to be grouchy, fierce-eyed and antisocial.  There also needs to be the con-artists, the merchants, the social manipulators.  You draw more flies with honey than with vinegar.
Proud Owner of her Very Own Delirium.

In a nutshell, elves by nature are self-centered, fiercely tribal/familial and have an innate self-preservative mentality.

Other than that, there's no such thing as a free "smile" from an elf on Zalanthas.

To quote an apt reference from Dune:
The Guild Navigator tells the Padishah Emperor Shaddam the IV:
"You are transparent, I see many things. I see plans within plans."

Zalanthan elves make plans within plans, and are always wary - because they assume others are also capable of the same.

It is not just "a way of life" - it is centuries of Zalanthan evolution and a part of their blood.
The figure in a dark hooded cloak says in rinthi-accented Sirihish, 'Winrothol Tor Fale?'

Quote from: Incognito on April 05, 2010, 03:16:17 PM
In a nutshell, elves by nature are self-centered, fiercely tribal/familial and have an innate self-preservative mentality.

Sounds like almost everyone in the known world, actually.  :)
"When it is dark enough, you can see the stars."

Quote from: Sinna on April 05, 2010, 06:56:40 PM
Quote from: Incognito on April 05, 2010, 03:16:17 PMIn a nutshell, elves by nature are self-centered, fiercely tribal/familial and have an innate self-preservative mentality.
Sounds like almost everyone in the known world, actually.  :)
Wrong.  Everyone else in the world is self-centered with an innate self-preservation mentality.  Some people are tribal, but there ain't noone that's fiercely tribal like an elf is.
Quote from: MalifaxisWe need to listen to spawnloser.
Quote from: Reiterationspawnloser knows all

Quote from: SpoonA magicker is kind of like a mousetrap, the fear is the cheese. But this cheese has an AK47.

I don't like it when people make ontological generalizations. Especially on this gdb.

Just try to fit your elf into the documentation somehow. While keeping in mind that consideration for nuance always makes a better character.
Now you're looking for the secret. But you won't find it because of course, you're not really looking. You don't really want to work it out. You want to be fooled.

Elves, being very arrogant and proud of themselves, might also choose to act nice in order to express their superiority over someone. The "I'm pleasant because I know you can't even touch me" attitude.

I think it's also worth noting that some elven tribes are very different from other elven tribes. A Soh, a Fang, a Haruch and an Akei may all be prideful, suspicious, and avaracious, but express those qualities in very, very different ways depending on their tribal cultures. Fangs especially, since the documents allude to their culture being very gith-like.

I was going to contribute my meager thoughts but then I read Rindan's post and I don't have anything to say, only something to live up to the next time I play an elf.
Quote from: Synthesis
Quote from: lordcooper
You go south and one of the other directions that isn't north.  That is seriously the limit of my geographical knowledge of Arm.
Sarge?

There are friendly elves. There are also over-friendly elves.

Sad elves: do -they- exist? Huh?!

Quote from: Rhyden on April 06, 2010, 12:08:55 AM
There are friendly elves. There are also over-friendly elves.

Sad elves: do -they- exist? Huh?!

The elvish mimes in Tuluk are as terrifying as they are feared and hated.
Quote from: Synthesis
Quote from: lordcooper
You go south and one of the other directions that isn't north.  That is seriously the limit of my geographical knowledge of Arm.
Sarge?

Quote from: spawnloser on April 05, 2010, 09:58:48 PM
Quote from: Sinna on April 05, 2010, 06:56:40 PM
Quote from: Incognito on April 05, 2010, 03:16:17 PMIn a nutshell, elves by nature are self-centered, fiercely tribal/familial and have an innate self-preservative mentality.
Sounds like almost everyone in the known world, actually.  :)
Wrong.  Everyone else in the world is self-centered with an innate self-preservation mentality.  Some people are tribal, but there ain't noone that's fiercely tribal like an elf is.

Wrong.  While that's in the docs, we have plenty of folks that are fiercely familial in the game.  Of course, Elves aren't likely to join three clans to betray them all only to end up on the bad side of a dagger, but the rest of it is VERY TRUE.

We've seen something of a swing away from this with alternatives to "life sworn" employees of Houses.  That is nice.

Quote from: Jingo on April 05, 2010, 10:45:36 PM
I don't like it when people make ontological generalizations. Especially on this gdb.

Just try to fit your elf into the documentation somehow. While keeping in mind that consideration for nuance always makes a better character.

QFT!

I don't think you get the point of what I said, Sinna.  NOONE is as fiercely familial/tribal like an elf is.  I don't care what you say/think.  Elves are a whole different mindset, and they are more fiercely familial than anyone else.

Also, if the Docs say something is true, it is true.  That's how it works.  If a Doc may be wrong, you communicate with the staff about getting it changed.  They do that.  Until it is changed, it is the truth.  Deal with it.

Quote from: SpoonA magicker is kind of like a mousetrap, the fear is the cheese. But this cheese has an AK47.

Really? I thought that some human tribes are so fiercely family oriented that they would qualify for elf ears.

April 06, 2010, 01:02:21 PM #39 Last Edit: April 06, 2010, 01:07:39 PM by X-D
The difference is, A human is raised to be tribal, they learn and/or decide to be.

Elves do not, All elves, even one that was raised by a half-giant from birth never having met another elf is tribal. Instinct, whatever you want to call it, in an elf, it is built in.

Also, this is worth repeating.
QuoteAlso, if the Docs say something is true, it is true.  That's how it works.  If a Doc may be wrong, you communicate with the staff about getting it changed.  They do that.  Until it is changed, it is the truth.  Deal with it.
A gaunt, yellow-skinned gith shrieks in fear, and hauls ass.
Lizzie:
If you -want- me to think that your character is a hybrid of a black kryl and a white push-broom shaped like a penis, then you've done a great job

Quote from: spawnloser on April 06, 2010, 12:41:00 PM
...I don't care what you say/think.......Deal with it.

Rawr!  You're so sexy!  :D

Yeah, I know.  ;D  An elf through and through.  ;)

Lizards and some other reptiles fear Peacocks - because Peacocks are one of the rarer bird species who have excelled at hunting lizards and reptiles over the centuries.

If you have a lizard problem in your home, a very effective remedy is to purchase a few peacock feathers and leave them lying around the house.

The lizards instinctively smell/sense "the presence" of a "predator", and flee for their lives.

This is a fact - not a made-up story.

The logic is, despite there being no real predator (a peacock in this case) around the premises, just the smell/sense from the peacock feathers is enough to trigger the innate fear within the reptiles.

This is an example of innate, inbred nature evolved over centuries.

The elven tribal nature is similar to this.
The figure in a dark hooded cloak says in rinthi-accented Sirihish, 'Winrothol Tor Fale?'

Quote from: Incognito on May 11, 2010, 05:19:12 AM
Stuff about Inixes being eaten by erdlu

So essentially Elves, over the centuries, banded together to avoid constant oppression. That fix the view?

Or I'm half wrong. Elves did band together. Maybe not to avoid oppression from all the superior humans, but they did. So live up to it. Tribal elves are fun to play.

I'd say more for survival in general. I don't like the idea of elves being a trodden-down and oppressed people. I like the idea that they are shunned by society because they deserve it for not giving a rats ass about anyone else and go out of their way to screw them over.

Quote from: Spoon on May 11, 2010, 09:08:04 AM
I like the idea that they are shunned by society because they deserve it for not giving a rats ass about anyone else and go out of their way to screw them over.

I'd never thought about it this way.... But I rather like it-- and it makes sense. ;D

Except for the fact that nobody really gives a rat's ass about anyone else on Zalanthas, so it would seem slightly unusual to hold that particular trait against elves.

But then again, humans are known for their inferior wisdom, so I suppose it makes sense assuming a base level of irrationality.
Quote from: WarriorPoet
I play this game to pretend to chop muthafuckaz up with bone swords.
Quote from: SmuzI come to the GDB to roleplay being deep and wise.
Quote from: VanthSynthesis, you scare me a little bit.

True, not a trait specific to elves, but certainly universal throughout the race.

Friendly elves only exist as long as they are working someone over.
Quote from: Fathi on March 08, 2018, 06:40:45 PMAnd then I sat there going "really? that was it? that's so stupid."

I still think the best closure you get in Armageddon is just moving on to the next character.

As with any person, an elf's interactions should be complex. To suggest that an elf must always be paranoid and anti-social is to suggest that they are not capable of complex plans and actions.

For example: A tribeless elf wants to work for a Merchant House for all of the obvious reasons (shelter, food, protection). He goes about trying to make "friends" with some of the lower members of the house in hopes that word will spread and his interest will reach the ears of the higher-ups. Perhaps he spends coin on drinks, or offers some bit of information for apparently no charge. Now, any elf worth his water will use these steps to test the lower house members to see if they're worthy to spread his request around. But, overall, his interactions would seem friendly and benign despite their underlying goal of gaining something for the elf which is valued at more than the cost of the drinks or info.

This "friendly" elf is acting with guile to manipulate people into giving him what he wants, a perfect example of theft in the elven mind set. And, in the end, because he desires membership to the House, this friendly interaction will bolster the relationships he will then build with his new "tribe". So, while everybody in his House sees him as that cheerful, friendly elf, he is really a conniving social manipulator who talked his way into a desirable position while offering little of his own resources.

Stealing coin is for children and roundears, but stealing the Heart and Mind is true art.
"Let us endeavor so to live that when we come to die even the undertaker will be sorry."
- Samuel Clemens