Water temperature

Started by HailTheAbyss, December 21, 2009, 04:46:15 PM

Quote from: Synthesis on January 31, 2010, 04:12:37 PM
This thread reminds me of that cartoon from The Far Side:

Two guys lost and wandering in the desert find a random water fountain in the middle of nowhere.  One guy operates it, water comes out, and the second guy says, "Hold on a minute and see if it gets any cooler."

I loved that comic...

Heck, I love The Far Side, period.
Quote from: Dalmeth
I've come to the conclusion that relaxing is not the lack of doing anything, but doing something that comes easily to you.

New dwarf focus.
she said slow down this train
slow down the iron that runs in my veins

While looking into ground temperatures in conjunction with the vast temperature swing between day and night in arid, desert environments, I found myself reading a portion of an online lesson which touched on the topic of cave temperatures.

http://www.virginiaplaces.org/classschedule/4groundwatercaves.html

QuoteCaves also provide a steady temperature, reflecting the average temperature of the area....In the summer, the asphalt in the parking lot may be hot enough to melt tar bubbles, and in the winter there could be a sheet of ice on that same parking lot - but a few feet below ground level, the soil temperature will stay steady at about 56 degrees.

The planet's crust is literally the world's largest heat sink. So, relatively cool water should be present in any wet cave that doesn't have geothermal activity, even if it's fairly shallow.
"Let us endeavor so to live that when we come to die even the undertaker will be sorry."
- Samuel Clemens

Quote from: Morrolan on December 22, 2009, 11:57:52 PM
Quote from: HailTheAbyss on December 21, 2009, 11:32:25 PMInterestingly enough, they drink a lot of hot drinks in the Middle East and other hot parts of the world. It is actually much better for you than cold water in that weather.

This is so true.  When I was in Indonesia, the locals couldn't understand my desire for cold water when I was suffering from dyssentry.  Through experience, I eventually learned that the cold water would go through the system that much faster.  And a cold coke, no matter how refreshing, was going to be a 1.5 pH blast out the back end.

And it burns, burns, burns, that ring of fire!
That ring of fire!

Morrolan

Warm water/drink is absorbed faster.
HOT water/drink isn't. And here's why.
When the body absorbs a liquid it need to cool/heat it untill it is the same relative temp as the body.

This means cold water will sit in your stomch untill it warms, or hot water will sit there untill it cool.

Lukewarm drinks are therefore, the best for your body...

Useless knowledge I learned in Medical Assisting school, FTW.
I remember recruiting this Half elf girl. And IMMEDIATELY taking her out on a contract. Right as we go into this gith hole I tell her "Remember your training, and you'll be fine." and she goes "I have no training." Then she died