Water temperature

Started by HailTheAbyss, December 21, 2009, 04:46:15 PM

Probably a bit of an odd question but it is kind of important.

Is there a way of getting cold water on Zalanthas? For making a cold compress for a bruise, things like that.

I would guess underground water would be cold, water from a well or a spring (if there are any)

Would the water in the Temple of the Dragon in Allanak be cold?

I also would guess any other water would be tepid at the least, seeing as it is exceedingly hot everywhere.

Well, the water's coldness would be in comparison to the air around it. Considering the Temple of the Dragon is in a shaded area, and the water is likely pretty deep, the water inside there would likely feel "cool" to your character. But as you carry it around in your thin skin, it's going to get warmer until it's as hot as the air.

Water you find in dank caves will likely be cold, depending on how shaded it is. If you need a light source to see, then it's most likely pretty cold in comparison, but if you can see just fine, then it's probably as warm as the Temple's water.

Truly cold water would likely only come from Vivaduans, but I'm sure that you could easily emote using freshly drawn, cooler water to make an effective cold compress.
"Never was anything great achieved without danger."
     -Niccolo Machiavelli

Quote from: HailTheAbyss on December 21, 2009, 04:46:15 PM
Is there a way of getting cold water on Zalanthas? For making a cold compress for a bruise, things like that.

If you mean like ice, I'd say it's pretty non-existent in Zalanthas. As far as water goes, I'd say lukewarm is as cool as you're going to get, though most Zalanthans would know that you can keep cooler in the shade.

December 21, 2009, 06:46:26 PM #3 Last Edit: December 21, 2009, 06:49:27 PM by slipshod
I somehow doubt the concept of cold compression therapy even exists in Zalanthan medicine.
"Never do today what you can put off till tomorrow."

-Aaron Burr

Evaporation, especially rapid evaporation in the dry air, would have a significant cooling effect even if the rag to serve as a compress is soaked in warm water.
Lunch makes me happy.

Quote from: slipshod on December 21, 2009, 06:46:26 PM
I somehow doubt the concept of cold compression therapy even exists in Zalanthans medicine.

FTFY

It should get very cold at night, and the weather command occasionally reports it as such. Sparse humidity should result in Arma nights being dangerously cold, unless there's greenhouse gas or some magic moon heat. Or something.

While there's no ice mining to be had, there are some perpetually cool spots underground that could be used for storage. A few of those cool spots have running waters, which must be at least as cool as mountain springs. Rapid evaporation of booze, of which the Zalathans seems to have plenty, can freeze water.

Plus, there's magick.  While there may not be a Frosty the Snow-Mage wandering around Allanak, I could see Whirans, Drovians, Vivs, or even Krathi using their superpowers in clever ways to create refrigerators.

One fun fact, warm water is absorbed faster and will rehydrate you faster than cold water.
It matters not how strait the gate,
How charged with punishments the scroll,
I am the master of my fate:
I am the captain of my soul.

Quote from: Dan on December 21, 2009, 09:54:16 PM
One fun fact, warm water is absorbed faster and will rehydrate you faster than cold water.

Interestingly enough, they drink a lot of hot drinks in the Middle East and other hot parts of the world. It is actually much better for you than cold water in that weather.

Quote from: HailTheAbyss on December 21, 2009, 11:32:25 PMInterestingly enough, they drink a lot of hot drinks in the Middle East and other hot parts of the world. It is actually much better for you than cold water in that weather.

This is so true.  When I was in Indonesia, the locals couldn't understand my desire for cold water when I was suffering from dyssentry.  Through experience, I eventually learned that the cold water would go through the system that much faster.  And a cold coke, no matter how refreshing, was going to be a 1.5 pH blast out the back end.

And it burns, burns, burns, that ring of fire!
That ring of fire!

Morrolan
"I have seen him show most of the attributes one expects of a noble: courtesy, kindness, and honor.  I would also say he is one of the most bloodthirsty bastards I have ever met."

Damn it, Morrolan, I didn't know whether to laugh or cry when I read that.
Quote from: nessalin on July 11, 2016, 02:48:32 PM
Trunk
hidden by 'body/torso'
hides nipples

Water from subterranean sources is cold. 
Quote from: scienceAn early study by Plaut and Kohn-Speyer (1947)[11] found that horse smegma had a carcinogenic effect on mice. Heins et al.(1958)

You could probably get temps of down to about 50 degrees F underground, even in Zalanthas. 

Quote from: Ampere on December 23, 2009, 01:05:20 AM

Not always,  Hot springs,  geysers, etc.

Besides it seems whenever the crust of Zalanthas is torn slightly, the magma isn't too far down.

Only through hard work and perseverance can one truly suffer

In certain places.

I'd hazard a guess that cool water is possible on Zalanthas, just somewhat rare.

It'd be more accurate to say the crustal place has been "holed" or pierced, I think...  One volcano on a crustal plate of indeterminate size does not a tear make.
どんと来い、生活の悪循環!!1!11
Quote from: Yam on March 18, 2011, 09:57:04 AM
There's really nothing wrong with a pretty boy in a dress.

Quote from: nyrk on January 05, 2010, 12:40:31 PM
Quote from: Ampere on December 23, 2009, 01:05:20 AM

Not always,  Hot springs,  geysers, etc.

Besides it seems whenever the crust of Zalanthas is torn slightly, the magma isn't too far down.

Thanks, very true.  Geothermally heated water isn't cold.
Quote from: scienceAn early study by Plaut and Kohn-Speyer (1947)[11] found that horse smegma had a carcinogenic effect on mice. Heins et al.(1958)

I've always envisioned the interior of wells/sewers as being cool/humid not hot and humid.  Although, they also tend not to have drinkable water.  Probably rare and not even sought after, but the existance of cool water probably would not be an impossibility.  I don't know how many of you have done any cave exploring.  I went to http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Craters_of_the_Moon_National_Monument_and_Preserve once. I was amazed at how drastically the temperature dropped traveling just a short distance into underground caves.  A person could go from hot, dry sun to icy, cold cave with a relatively short climb downward.

Clay jugs... They're not actually perfectly water-proof. When left directly under the sun, water creeping through the very tiny cracks in its structure evaporate, cooling down the surface of the jug, so the water. I know because I'm from an asian country and we used to use them.

And why hot drinks? Once a doctor friend of mine explained; they force the capillaries in your throat and mouth expand, the expanded blood flow so close to the surface helps feeling cooler. Cold drinks in very hot and dry climates may even make you feel more thirsty for those cold stuff.

And, where in game we can find cool water? I don't know.. If I were a staff member completely responsible for Zalanthas magick, I'd advocate Nilazi cantrips centered on 'cold' or even 'ice' because cold feels so unearthy to me in Zalanthas.
Q  : Where do you piss?
Yam: On elves.
Q  : And if the area, lacks elves at the given time?
Yam: Scan.

I codedly saw a "Cold Day" not that long ago with the weather command. Cool nights and cold nights would be much more frequent. I'm just saying that Cold is in fact a zalanthan concept.

I once saw something on TV a while back, about how to cool a wine with water, a newspaper, and a car...

Wrap paper around winebottle, wet paper, hold wetted winebottle outside car window and drive around really fast (if area permits).

Like stated in a post before, the evaporation will cause a "chilling" effect on whatevers inside. 

So next time you need a "cool compress", just wet your cloth and wave it in the air, like you just don't care.... and it will get cooler.

Just because it's not impossible, under certain rare conditions, to locate cool water in Zalanthas doesn't mean that cold and ice are prolific enough to have inspired medical techniques.

I still think the concept of cold compression therapy would be alien and nonexistant on Zalanthas.  People arguing otherwise are making a very large leap from the ability to obtain a small amount of cool liquid to developing that rare find into a medical treatment.
"Never do today what you can put off till tomorrow."

-Aaron Burr

Quote from: slipshod on January 31, 2010, 12:07:01 PM
Just because it's not impossible, under certain rare conditions, to locate cool water in Zalanthas doesn't mean that cold and ice are prolific enough to have inspired medical techniques.

I still think the concept of cold compression therapy would be alien and nonexistant on Zalanthas.  People arguing otherwise are making a very large leap from the ability to obtain a small amount of cool liquid to developing that rare find into a medical treatment.

But..how hard is it to make the jump from "fanning my face makes the air cooler," to "fanning a wet piece of cloth in the air makes it cooler?"

As for cold water..I'll just say find out IG.
Quote from: Dalmeth
I've come to the conclusion that relaxing is not the lack of doing anything, but doing something that comes easily to you.

This thread reminds me of that cartoon from The Far Side:

Two guys lost and wandering in the desert find a random water fountain in the middle of nowhere.  One guy operates it, water comes out, and the second guy says, "Hold on a minute and see if it gets any cooler."
Quote from: WarriorPoet
I play this game to pretend to chop muthafuckaz up with bone swords.
Quote from: SmuzI come to the GDB to roleplay being deep and wise.
Quote from: VanthSynthesis, you scare me a little bit.

Quote from: Synthesis on January 31, 2010, 04:12:37 PM
This thread reminds me of that cartoon from The Far Side:

Two guys lost and wandering in the desert find a random water fountain in the middle of nowhere.  One guy operates it, water comes out, and the second guy says, "Hold on a minute and see if it gets any cooler."

I loved that comic...

Heck, I love The Far Side, period.
Quote from: Dalmeth
I've come to the conclusion that relaxing is not the lack of doing anything, but doing something that comes easily to you.

New dwarf focus.
she said slow down this train
slow down the iron that runs in my veins

While looking into ground temperatures in conjunction with the vast temperature swing between day and night in arid, desert environments, I found myself reading a portion of an online lesson which touched on the topic of cave temperatures.

http://www.virginiaplaces.org/classschedule/4groundwatercaves.html

QuoteCaves also provide a steady temperature, reflecting the average temperature of the area....In the summer, the asphalt in the parking lot may be hot enough to melt tar bubbles, and in the winter there could be a sheet of ice on that same parking lot - but a few feet below ground level, the soil temperature will stay steady at about 56 degrees.

The planet's crust is literally the world's largest heat sink. So, relatively cool water should be present in any wet cave that doesn't have geothermal activity, even if it's fairly shallow.
"Let us endeavor so to live that when we come to die even the undertaker will be sorry."
- Samuel Clemens

Quote from: Morrolan on December 22, 2009, 11:57:52 PM
Quote from: HailTheAbyss on December 21, 2009, 11:32:25 PMInterestingly enough, they drink a lot of hot drinks in the Middle East and other hot parts of the world. It is actually much better for you than cold water in that weather.

This is so true.  When I was in Indonesia, the locals couldn't understand my desire for cold water when I was suffering from dyssentry.  Through experience, I eventually learned that the cold water would go through the system that much faster.  And a cold coke, no matter how refreshing, was going to be a 1.5 pH blast out the back end.

And it burns, burns, burns, that ring of fire!
That ring of fire!

Morrolan

Warm water/drink is absorbed faster.
HOT water/drink isn't. And here's why.
When the body absorbs a liquid it need to cool/heat it untill it is the same relative temp as the body.

This means cold water will sit in your stomch untill it warms, or hot water will sit there untill it cool.

Lukewarm drinks are therefore, the best for your body...

Useless knowledge I learned in Medical Assisting school, FTW.
I remember recruiting this Half elf girl. And IMMEDIATELY taking her out on a contract. Right as we go into this gith hole I tell her "Remember your training, and you'll be fine." and she goes "I have no training." Then she died