Endurance, movements points and sleeping

Started by RogueGunslinger, November 05, 2009, 01:15:38 PM

Currently, you can not gain back about 6-8 movement points when resting. You have to sleep to get them back.

While this seems about appropriate for people with low movement points, to people with high endurance or playing a desert elf its hardly noticeable, and is nothing more than a mere annoyance.

I think, instead, it should be a percentage, something around 10%-15% that can't be regained unless you sleep. I believe more people would be willing to role-play sleeping in this instance.

I like this idea.

As it stands now, you don't really -need- that 6-8 points for movement, or anything for that matter.

Those few movements points.... That's what, a couple of extra kicks in combat and one move in the desert?

How would you explain that people with high stamina then need more sleep than someone with low stamina to be fully rested?
Quote from: MalifaxisWe need to listen to spawnloser.
Quote from: Reiterationspawnloser knows all

Quote from: SpoonA magicker is kind of like a mousetrap, the fear is the cheese. But this cheese has an AK47.

I don't think this is all that good.  Delves are known for their ability to run long, scarily long, ways.  Aside from their in depth role playing rules, I think this a huge part of why they are a karma race.  No need to down tweak this, even if its annoying some times.  There are also 'things you can do' to change move.  scaling on those things would be vexing.

In terms of elves and their ability to run, I think it would cooler if that were some kind of skill instead of the automatic result of them setting their speed to "run". Maybe something like where they use a buff that gives them the ability to traverse rooms at a severely reduced movement cost, but the ability cuts off if they're attacked, fall in a hole, sit down to rest, ect.

But that's ... a total derail.

My bad.

I have mixed feelings about the whole hp and stamina regen thing, and how you need to rest/sleep to bring it back up above a certain threshold. On hand, it just strikes me as totally unrealistic and an entirely OOC construct that we have to RP around instead of RP'ing with.

On the other hand, having it be realistic (where you have to sleep every so often or you start going crazy) ... would be a pain in the ass and an even bigger deteriment to RP than the mandatory eating and sleeping thing is now ... because time goes by so quickly in game but we type and RP by RL standards.

I don't have a good solution myself ... but I just don't feel like the suggestion offered in the OP would change much at all.
Quote from: Marauder Moe
Oh my god he's still rocking the sandwich.

Healing potions, srsly. Lets pull Diablo 2 up in here!

To try to provide an alternative, restfulness could be based upon OOC time played. You could start out being able to rest to full stamina and recover HP from a low percentage. As time goes on, a hidden meter would diminish, allowing such recovery to slowly show less, perhaps to the point of not recovering HP and only up to half stamina. Sleeping for a short time (5-10 minutes) Would negate these recovery penalties.
Quote from: Niamh on September 24, 2009, 02:28:12 PM
Remember, you're never in trouble if you don't get caught!

Quote from: Wyx on June 28, 2009, 07:59:17 PM
Besides, the players know best

Quote from: Xagon on November 07, 2009, 08:23:08 AM
Healing potions, srsly. Lets pull Diablo 2 up in here!

I should write a script that whenever I type "quaff potion", I get the D2 potion sound.

Quaff  (General)

This command will cause your character to consume the named potion or potion-fruit. All effects of that potion will take effect immediately. The potion must be in your inventory or in one of your character's hands at the time the command is used.

Syntax:
    quaff <object>

Example:
    > quaff potion

See also:
    drink, sip
Quote from: Twilight on January 22, 2013, 08:17:47 PMGreb - To scavenge, forage, and if Whira is with you, loot the dead.
Grebber - One who grebs.

Yes, but the Anya I've found IG doesn't sell them.

...or sell magick staves
...or sell potions that refill your stamina
...or give out rings, magickal or otherwise, once you complete her quest!
Quote from: Niamh on September 24, 2009, 02:28:12 PM
Remember, you're never in trouble if you don't get caught!

Quote from: Wyx on June 28, 2009, 07:59:17 PM
Besides, the players know best