Stat Range Option

Started by Sephiroto, October 17, 2009, 02:02:42 PM

October 17, 2009, 02:02:42 PM Last Edit: October 17, 2009, 03:21:07 PM by Sephiroto
There is a timeless debate about how stats do and don't affect a PC.  Over the years the staff has modified the code to allow for prioritization of stats and even for their adjustment due to age.  Dispite all the hard work gone into stats, we're still left with gripes about unplayable rolls.  Therefore I propose the following: Stat Ranges.

There are 3 ranges.  

Normal Range.  Stat rolls remain as they are now, random from Poor to AI.  
Medium Range: Stats roll from Average to Very Good.  
Tight Range: Stats roll from Above Average to Good.

These 3 ranges would give players the ability to ensure that their stats fit somewhat of a mold that allow them to be what they want them to be.  The available ranges would ensure that all players could have "playable" stats whenever they wanted them, but with proper sacrifice of higher teir stat rolls.

Discuss.

EDIT: I tightened the ranges a bit.

October 17, 2009, 02:40:18 PM #1 Last Edit: October 17, 2009, 02:44:44 PM by Qzzrbl
I'd fuck it.

+1

::EDIT:: Now wait.... Is this before, or after age and size and race and class modifiers?

If such an idea were put into place, the ranges should definitely be tighter. A guaranteed average or above average stat should come at a higher cost.

Normal Range.  Stat rolls remain as they are now, random from Poor to AI.
Tight Range: Stats roll from Average to Good.

If a player absolutely doesn't want poor stats, then they should have to settle for fairly mediocre ones.

Quote from: Qzzrbl on October 17, 2009, 02:40:18 PM
Now wait.... Is this before, or after age and size and race and class modifiers?

My idea was that stat ranges would affect the final results you see in your score, not the pre-race/size/class modifiers.

I prefer the current system.
Wynning since October 25, 2008.

Quote from: Ami on November 23, 2010, 03:40:39 PM
>craft newbie into good player

You accidentally snap newbie into useless pieces.

Discord:The7DeadlyVenomz#3870

Good bye low stats.
Amor Fati

I don't think the gripes about low stats need to be addressed.

Quote from: jstorrie on October 17, 2009, 11:58:31 PM
I don't think the gripes about low stats need to be addressed.

If everyone could get average or better rolls all the time, then very good would just become the new poor, and we'd suicide anything that wasn't exceptional or above.
Quote from: Marauder Moe
Oh my god he's still rocking the sandwich.

Personally I don't find this necessary and wouldn't use it.
Quote from: Oryxin a land...where nothing is as it seems
lol
wait wait
in a harsh desert..wait
in a world...where everything's out to kill you
one man (or woman) stands sort of alone
only not really
lol
KURAC

Personally, I would use normal stat rolls also because I'm a veteran and more than willing to work with a Poor stat, but there are people who might want "normal" stats across the board and would be very happy with it.  That's what I'm advocating for.

I don't see how Very Good would become the new poor.  Where do you get that idea?  Very Good or Good would be the new AI for some people and Average/AA respectively would be the new Poor.  And, under my proposal, the only way to get an Exceptional stat would be to use the normal roll set anyway.  If anything, there would be less storages and suicides because people who want to have moderate stats can now be guaranteed them.

I guess I'm just saying that people don't actually want moderate stats. They want awesome stats.

I'm against this, but I still advocate the ability to rollback to your previous reroll. There is nothing more disappointing than having all your "below average" stats suddenly become poor.

Quote from: Niamh on September 24, 2009, 02:28:12 PM
Remember, you're never in trouble if you don't get caught!

Quote from: Wyx on June 28, 2009, 07:59:17 PM
Besides, the players know best

What about the option to get above average on every stat.

Quote from: RogueGunslinger on October 26, 2009, 08:07:24 PM
What about the option to get above average on every stat.

But then they wouldn't be--
...did I just get baited? :D
The sword is sharp, the spear is long,
The arrow swift, the Gate is strong.
The heart is bold that looks on gold;
The dwarves no more shall suffer wrong.

Quote from: Xagon on October 18, 2009, 09:16:16 PM
I'm against this, but I still advocate the ability to rollback to your previous reroll. There is nothing more disappointing than having all your "below average" stats suddenly become poor.

Agreed.

In a way I guess you did, brytta.

I would use this for the characters that I designed that would require stats above poor.
Quote from: Cutthroat on September 30, 2008, 10:15:55 PM
> forage artifacts

You find a rusty, armed landmine and pick it up.

I think that the people that would consider a pc unplayable because of stats typically want awesome stats or nothing anyway. I don't think this would solve anything and I really don't think anything needs to be done for the most part.
Quote from: Fnord on November 27, 2010, 01:55:19 PM
May the fap be with you, always. ;D

Poor stats are all well and good for someone who wants to sit about a tavern all day and do that for years, more power to them.
However, when you're playing a fighter who, *gasp* fights, go figure, having all poor stats fucks your day. up but good
Malifaxis has UBER board skills

There are no unplayable stats.  Order them so that whatever stat you think you need isn't last.
Quote from: MalifaxisWe need to listen to spawnloser.
Quote from: Reiterationspawnloser knows all

Quote from: SpoonA magicker is kind of like a mousetrap, the fear is the cheese. But this cheese has an AK47.

I rarely had a character that didn't have suitable enough stats to play them when we didn't have stat ordering. Now that we do, I pretty much always have a character optimized for how I envision them. Are they all gonna be perfect? Are they all gonna be "the best"? Nope...but hey, that's just like real life.
Quote from: Fnord on November 27, 2010, 01:55:19 PM
May the fap be with you, always. ;D

October 28, 2009, 05:32:11 PM #23 Last Edit: October 28, 2009, 07:52:14 PM by X-D
Since stat ordering went in, I think I've had...6 PCs...I've still never ordered my stats. I still get what I will play.

The rest of you that order stats should be even better off.

That being said, I would not mind if there was an option where you could choose to have nothing below above ave and nothing above good.

I don't see the need, but I'm not against it.
A gaunt, yellow-skinned gith shrieks in fear, and hauls ass.
Lizzie:
If you -want- me to think that your character is a hybrid of a black kryl and a white push-broom shaped like a penis, then you've done a great job

It's another option that would be easy to code, and would offer a safety net to (the sort of player) who would be likely to suicide a crappy character anyway.
People who didn't like it could just ignore it.

+1

October 28, 2009, 08:17:58 PM #25 Last Edit: October 28, 2009, 08:22:47 PM by Aaron Goulet
I love stat ordering, but has anyone else experienced an issue where your stats aren't ordered in the way you specify?  It kinda defeats the purpose of the system if it doesn't even work.
Quote from: ZoltanWhen in doubt, play dangerous, awkward or intense situations to the hilt, every time.

The Official GDB Hate Cycle

The stat ordering takes effect before your race/age/guild modifiers take place. So you may well end up with four goods, but when those three things get added in, it could be three goods and a very good.
Quote from: Cutthroat on September 30, 2008, 10:15:55 PM
> forage artifacts

You find a rusty, armed landmine and pick it up.

Quote from: Delstro on October 28, 2009, 08:48:56 PM
The stat ordering takes effect before your race/age/guild modifiers take place. So you may well end up with four goods, but when those three things get added in, it could be three goods and a very good.

That makes more sense to me.  Thank you.
Quote from: ZoltanWhen in doubt, play dangerous, awkward or intense situations to the hilt, every time.

I think most peoples complaints would be alleviated if the staff were more agreeable to raising the stats of long-lived characters.

Quote from: Adiadochokinesis on October 29, 2009, 01:38:45 AM
I think most peoples complaints would be alleviated if the staff were more agreeable to raising the stats of long-lived characters.

I don't know how agreeable staff may or may not be for raising the stats of long-lived characters, but overall, I agree that a sense of feeling like your hanging in there and sticking with it will be rewarded goes a long way.

Quote from: musashi on October 29, 2009, 02:45:07 AM
Quote from: Adiadochokinesis on October 29, 2009, 01:38:45 AM

I don't know how agreeable staff may or may not be for raising the stats of long-lived characters, but overall, I agree that a sense of feeling like your hanging in there and sticking with it will be rewarded goes a long way.

Indeed, sir. I think a lot of long-lived characters can get boring because you end up losing a sense of accomplishment. Once skills stop branching and you stop seeing gains, things might get boring. Not everyone plays this way, but it's a universal draw. People like to advance.

Quote from: Adiadochokinesis on October 29, 2009, 02:47:49 AM
Indeed, sir. I think a lot of long-lived characters can get boring because you end up losing a sense of accomplishment. Once skills stop branching and you stop seeing gains, things might get boring. Not everyone plays this way, but it's a universal draw. People like to advance.

I think World of Warcraft proves this point very well: Blizzard Entertainment has the psychology of achievement down to a fine science, and look at their subscriber numbers!

On-topic, I would like to say that I agree with you and musashi, so long as there is an in-character reason for the gain;  I do not think that statistics should be raised solely because of a character's tenure, but then again, I do not think that is what you guys are suggesting, either.

Quote from: musashi on October 18, 2009, 06:38:27 PM
I guess I'm just saying that people don't actually want moderate stats. They want awesome stats.

I'd use the for some character concepts.  Probably more than half, actually.  I had considered proposing something like this, except that all rolls could be set straight to the 50% mark.

Maybe it's a quirk of my personality, Musashi, but I fear low stats much more than I want good ones.  Then again, maybe I'm not as alone as I think...
"I have seen him show most of the attributes one expects of a noble: courtesy, kindness, and honor.  I would also say he is one of the most bloodthirsty bastards I have ever met."

Quote from: Morrolan on October 29, 2009, 09:36:03 AM
Maybe it's a quirk of my personality, Musashi, but I fear low stats much more than I want good ones.  Then again, maybe I'm not as alone as I think...

You're not alone at all.  There's no way I'm gonna type 'reroll self' if all of my stats are at least 'average' or better.

I usually play young characters so I'm kind of accustomed to seeIng at least two stats at poor no matter what priority, race or guild combo I shoot for. I typically think I'm lucky if my PC has a below average stat in those cases.

Anyway I agree that sometimes stats can be so low as to be unplayable ... like say ... your city elf burgular who ended up with poor strength and can not even "hold" a drink mug because it's too heavy for him. Or your half-giant merchant who doesn't have enough space in his inventory to hold the items he needs to craft because his agility is so terrible (I think maybe staff fixed this one), or your half giant/mul/dwarf who might .... maybe ... have wisdom so poor he doesn't have the  mana required to cast anything (I know staff already fixed this one).

My point is ... I think that unplayable stats do exist, but typically only in the context of getting screwed by the racial modifiers on top of a crappy roll. So I think all that really needs to be done is to have staff maybe raise the "minimum" of how low a stat can be so that it can at least be functional. Beyond that I think they're all playable and can be off set by skill with time. Be even better if folks thought staff might even let those crappy stats be improved with time. 

Quote from: musashi on October 29, 2009, 08:15:23 PM
I usually play young characters so I'm kind of accustomed to seeIng at least two stats at poor no matter what priority, race or guild combo I shoot for. I typically think I'm lucky if my PC has a below average stat in those cases.

Anyway I agree that sometimes stats can be so low as to be unplayable ... like say ... your city elf burgular who ended up with poor strength and can not even "hold" a drink mug because it's too heavy for him. Or your half-giant merchant who doesn't have enough space in his inventory to hold the items he needs to craft because his agility is so terrible (I think maybe staff fixed this one), or your half giant/mul/dwarf who might .... maybe ... have wisdom so poor he doesn't have the  mana required to cast anything (I know staff already fixed this one).

My point is ... I think that unplayable stats do exist, but typically only in the context of getting screwed by the racial modifiers on top of a crappy roll. So I think all that really needs to be done is to have staff maybe raise the "minimum" of how low a stat can be so that it can at least be functional. Beyond that I think they're all playable and can be off set by skill with time. Be even better if folks thought staff might even let those crappy stats be improved with time. 

Morgenes has said that he'll look into anything utterly unplayable, as well as situations when you get stats completely counter to what your character needs. If your elf can't lift a mug, or your 30 year old human warrior who prioritized strength still only has below average strength and poor, poor and poor for everything else, I bet you can get the staff to look at it.

Agreed.

Quote from: hyzhenhok on November 02, 2009, 01:43:14 PM
Morgenes has said that he'll look into anything utterly unplayable, as well as situations when you get stats completely counter to what your character needs. If your elf can't lift a mug, or your 30 year old human warrior who prioritized strength still only has below average strength and poor, poor and poor for everything else, I bet you can get the staff to look at it.

And, FYI, I have yet to receive a single request for review.
Morgenes

Producer
Armageddon Staff

Quote from: Morgenes on November 10, 2009, 03:15:08 PM
Quote from: hyzhenhok on November 02, 2009, 01:43:14 PM

And, FYI, I have yet to receive a single request for review.

I sent something to Morgenes a few months back regarding stats and the issue in question has since been fixed.

So, just chiming in to say that yes, Arm's staff are quite serious about offering help if you run into a situation where your stats are preventing certain skills or code functions from working correctly.
And I vanish into the dark
And rise above my station

I believe they worked on stats to help weak players craft items that require multiple ingredients.  I had a char that was wear previously and could only hold about 4 things or so.  Now items can be crafted from the room, sterling example
Malifaxis has UBER board skills