NPC Agression.

Started by RogueGunslinger, October 11, 2009, 01:06:32 PM

I'd like for some NPC's to growl, or give warning before attacking, much like in the real life. I believe certain animals should give fair warning, and allow for careful retreat. As it is now it's either kill or nothing.

Or at least offer a chance to give them that fancy silk cloak they're jumping you for.

I bet the npcs feel much like aggro players do, if I don't just attack then they flee!

I laughed at the previous post.  But that being said, I think the whole 'spam flee' thing is overrated on the gdb.  Because the code doesn't allow for it, there's some tough RP about people just 'getting right up in your face' if they are in the same room as you, where you as the PC that you are would *never* allow say, a friggen half giant, to get close.  You'd keep your distance and run if they tried to get close.

Proper 'dangerous' encounters takes work from both players, not just an assumption you're in the right because your on X side of the fence.  Now, for what its worth, I've had both of these situations I spoken of.  One where I emoted keeping a *very* large distance between me and person X and they just attacked no emotes, and where I've had a fun game of cat and mouse.

I suppose it boils down to: don't ignore the emotes and actions of others, just because you don't like what they say.

Quote from: Kryos on October 12, 2009, 03:32:49 PM
I laughed at the previous post.  But that being said, I think the whole 'spam flee' thing is overrated on the gdb.  Because the code doesn't allow for it, there's some tough RP about people just 'getting right up in your face' if they are in the same room as you, where you as the PC that you are would *never* allow say, a friggen half giant, to get close.  You'd keep your distance and run if they tried to get close.

Proper 'dangerous' encounters takes work from both players, not just an assumption you're in the right because your on X side of the fence.  Now, for what its worth, I've had both of these situations I spoken of.  One where I emoted keeping a *very* large distance between me and person X and they just attacked no emotes, and where I've had a fun game of cat and mouse.

I suppose it boils down to: don't ignore the emotes and actions of others, just because you don't like what they say.

I agree, but you can't let people bully you with power emotes, either. But then, that's what the code's for.
Quote from: nessalin on July 11, 2016, 02:48:32 PM
Trunk
hidden by 'body/torso'
hides nipples

But, but, but....I use pemote all the time!
Evolution ends when stupidity is no longer fatal."

To take the OP's idea a step further, I'd love to see more animals that are only aggressive under certain circumstances, i.e. time of day, strength in numbers, time of year.
Quote from: Oryxin a land...where nothing is as it seems
lol
wait wait
in a harsh desert..wait
in a world...where everything's out to kill you
one man (or woman) stands sort of alone
only not really
lol
KURAC

Yeah... a gith aggro'ing out on a full military patrol?
the gith race should get neg karma for suiciding out all the time.
Quote from: Twilight on January 22, 2013, 08:17:47 PMGreb - To scavenge, forage, and if Whira is with you, loot the dead.
Grebber - One who grebs.

Quote from: Spice Spice Baby on October 12, 2009, 07:54:07 PM
To take the OP's idea a step further, I'd love to see more animals that are only aggressive under certain circumstances, i.e. time of day, strength in numbers, time of year.

I've seen all of these ig except the strength in numbers.

Simdesert in a certain hunting spot used to be badass.. I think it got brokededed though... I wish it was back like it used to be.  :-\
A staff member sends you:
"Normally we don't see a <redacted> walk into a room full of <redacted> and start indiscriminately killing."

You send to staff:
"Welcome to Armageddon."

Quote from: Majikal on October 13, 2009, 02:46:55 AM
Quote from: Spice Spice Baby on October 12, 2009, 07:54:07 PM

I've seen all of these ig except the strength in numbers.

Simdesert in a certain hunting spot used to be badass.. I think it got brokededed though... I wish it was back like it used to be.  :-\

Yeah, that's why I said 'more.' It's a shame those scripts are only in use in the far reaches of the world. Although I guess most of the game's other ecosystems are a bit trickier to script out.
Quote from: Oryxin a land...where nothing is as it seems
lol
wait wait
in a harsh desert..wait
in a world...where everything's out to kill you
one man (or woman) stands sort of alone
only not really
lol
KURAC

Quote from: RogueGunslinger on October 11, 2009, 01:06:32 PM
I'd like for some NPC's to growl, or give warning before attacking, much like in the real life. I believe certain animals should give fair warning, and allow for careful retreat. As it is now it's either kill or nothing.

The way Arm's NPC AI works:  if something comes into the room with you, there is a 99% chance it moved closer to try to eat you.  The other 1% are patrolling soldiers.
Quote from: WarriorPoet
I play this game to pretend to chop muthafuckaz up with bone swords.
Quote from: SmuzI come to the GDB to roleplay being deep and wise.
Quote from: VanthSynthesis, you scare me a little bit.

I might just be a noob, but I'd like to see more aggressive NPCs -only- if you step into the same room with them.

I'd also like to see less frowning from those guards, and more ass kicking.
Quote from: Niamh on September 24, 2009, 02:28:12 PM
Remember, you're never in trouble if you don't get caught!

Quote from: Wyx on June 28, 2009, 07:59:17 PM
Besides, the players know best

Quote from: Xagon on October 15, 2009, 07:10:33 AM
I might just be a noob, but I'd like to see more aggressive NPCs -only- if you step into the same room with them.

So, you're saying you'd rather see a guard try to kill someone for trying to go into a door they're guarding, instead of just normally stopping them? That doesn't seem like a very good idea.

Quote from: MeTekillot on October 15, 2009, 07:24:05 AM

So, you're saying you'd rather see a guard try to kill someone for trying to go into a door they're guarding, instead of just normally stopping them? That doesn't seem like a very good idea.

I'd like to think -some- form of retaliation, other than simply frowning and blocking for the twentieth time, would be more realistic.

IT's WAY too easy to accidentally type in a direction. So no, there shouldn't be a consequence. The guards can stop frowning and start kicking ass when I actually get into their compound.

QuoteI'd like to think -some- form of retaliation, other than simply frowning and blocking for the twentieth time, would be more realistic.

Like, uh, when they used to sap you if you tried to get past them?  Mmmm, no thanks, that was really a pain.  And obviously there were reasons it was removed.
Evolution ends when stupidity is no longer fatal."

Just give the guards a brawl script like the one that exists in taverns.

If you try to get past a second time, he takes a couple of swings at you and tells you to knock it off.

If you -keep- doing it (give the guard a 1-IC day memory or something), then he'll punch you to the point of unconsciousness, if you hang around long enough for him to get it done.
Quote from: WarriorPoet
I play this game to pretend to chop muthafuckaz up with bone swords.
Quote from: SmuzI come to the GDB to roleplay being deep and wise.
Quote from: VanthSynthesis, you scare me a little bit.

Brawl script attached to dedicated guards of an area sounds nice, but only after the third failure or so. If I tried to get past the bouncer at club X.. something's going to happen.
Quote from: Niamh on September 24, 2009, 02:28:12 PM
Remember, you're never in trouble if you don't get caught!

Quote from: Wyx on June 28, 2009, 07:59:17 PM
Besides, the players know best

Quote from: RogueGunslinger on October 15, 2009, 02:28:23 PM
IT's WAY too easy to accidentally type in a direction. So no, there shouldn't be a consequence. The guards can stop frowning and start kicking ass when I actually get into their compound.

After repeated attempts of trying to get past a guard.... I don't see any reason why he shouldn't bop you for it. Shouldn't be a problem unless you stack an ass-ton of moves in the wrong direction.

The "stop" command is your friend.

Quote from: Qzzrbl on October 15, 2009, 10:23:00 PM

After repeated attempts of trying to get past a guard.... I don't see any reason why he shouldn't bop you for it. Shouldn't be a problem unless you stack an ass-ton of moves in the wrong direction.

>sopt
What?
>tsop
What?
>stpo
What?
>dtop
What?
>stip
What?

That's usually what I do, in a tight situation.  Same with "disengage"

Quote from: Qzzrbl on October 15, 2009, 10:11:07 AM
Quote from: MeTekillot on October 15, 2009, 07:24:05 AM

I'd like to think -some- form of retaliation, other than simply frowning and blocking for the twentieth time, would be more realistic.

I have a rule, I stop after two attempts, but only make a second attempt after sneaking out, hiding, sneaking in hiding, semoting xyz, then if I don't make it, I run like I just got caught shoplifting.

No, if you fail to "sneak" past a guard then you should have consequences, not if you repeatedly fail to move past one. Why? You -cant- "walk" by a guard, it's impossible, therefore when someone is walking into a guard their intent obviously isn't to sneak by some how.

Quote from: RogueGunslinger on October 16, 2009, 01:16:35 AM
No, if you fail to "sneak" past a guard then you should have consequences, not if you repeatedly fail to move past one. Why? You -cant- "walk" by a guard, it's impossible, therefore when someone is walking into a guard their intent obviously isn't to sneak by some how.

This.

And keep in mind that some of us use those frowns to navigate those all-night sandstorms.  <hangs head>
The sword is sharp, the spear is long,
The arrow swift, the Gate is strong.
The heart is bold that looks on gold;
The dwarves no more shall suffer wrong.

I am going to go out on a limb and assume by your written angst with this situation that you've worked in a clan/guarded area and had a burglar burgle you.  While this sucks, it's part of the game.

Having five bodies of dead noob burglars piled outside your clan/room isn't going to help anything, hell sometimes I use those frowning guards to check how "good" I am at sneaking and hiding.

Quote from: MarshallDFX on October 16, 2009, 01:11:24 AM
Quote from: Qzzrbl on October 15, 2009, 10:23:00 PM

>sopt
What?
>tsop
What?
>stpo
What?
>dtop
What?
>stip
What?

That's usually what I do, in a tight situation.  Same with "disengage"

Something that helped me alot, I aliased "stop" to 1, and aliased "disengaged" to 11.

It helps alot. :)

Alright, now I get what you mean. -nod-

I still think it would be neat if NPC guards would hit you using specialized brawl code after trying to sneak/run past a few times and fail.