Since we're illiterate folks.

Started by Kuragari, August 30, 2009, 02:51:46 AM

I see the boards in each of the taverns... I wonder why they're there since we're not really reading anything...
I'm not sure why something that has to be read would exist if we can't read. I was told "it's not really there".
So... why not make something more relative to the world?

I'd suggest rumor mongers. People who either get paid to keep people up on current events... or busybodies who have nothing better to do....
It wouldn't take much to change the coding... it would just be a person who had an IC reason for being there...

Because newbs who come in from other games can immediately grasp the syntax "read board," because board-like objects exist in pretty much every other MUD in existence.

That being said, I think there are a couple of clans who have boards that are exactly what you're suggesting: they look like an NPC standing there.
Quote from: WarriorPoet
I play this game to pretend to chop muthafuckaz up with bone swords.
Quote from: SmuzI come to the GDB to roleplay being deep and wise.
Quote from: VanthSynthesis, you scare me a little bit.

Quote from: Synthesis on August 30, 2009, 02:55:22 AM
Because newbs who come in from other games can immediately grasp the syntax "read board," because board-like objects exist in pretty much every other MUD in existence.

That being said, I think there are a couple of clans who have boards that are exactly what you're suggesting: they look like an NPC standing there.

I get frustrated that I can't >look 'board" when in a clan like this.
Quote from: Twilight on January 22, 2013, 08:17:47 PMGreb - To scavenge, forage, and if Whira is with you, loot the dead.
Grebber - One who grebs.

In such a clan, it took me a long time to recognize that said NPC WAS actually a board.  Maybe if they had some sort of other indication it would be easier to tell?  Or echoed passing out and taking in messages?
Former player as of 2/27/23, sending love.