tdesc interrupts concentration?

Started by spawnloser, July 20, 2009, 06:54:16 PM

When doing an ongoing task that can be disrupted by you doing something, why is 'tdesc clear' one of these?  Personally, I've the opinion that a 'stop' command shouldn't interrupt crafting, and 'tdesc clear' seems to fit closer to that command than others, even though it puts you into the editor in its normal usage of 'tdesc'.  What say others?
Quote from: MalifaxisWe need to listen to spawnloser.
Quote from: Reiterationspawnloser knows all

Quote from: SpoonA magicker is kind of like a mousetrap, the fear is the cheese. But this cheese has an AK47.

Agreed.
"Never was anything great achieved without danger."
     -Niccolo Machiavelli

It sounds like an oversight. Why not just bug it?
Talia said: Notice to all: Do not mess with Lizzie's GDB. She will cut you.
Delirium said: Notice to all: do not mess with Lizzie's soap. She will cut you.

tdesc! I was WONDERING how to do that!!!! Thanks.
Quote from: Marauder Moe
Oh my god he's still rocking the sandwich.

Why wouldn't you want the stop command to stop interrupt crafting?

Quote from: MarshallDFX on July 21, 2009, 02:19:32 AM
Stop, generally, is reserved for ceasing a queue of commands.
     -Niccolo Machiavelli

Quote from: Archbaron on July 21, 2009, 02:42:08 AM
Quote from: MarshallDFX on July 21, 2009, 02:19:32 AM
Stop, generally, is reserved for ceasing a queue of commands.

No, it's used to cease any command that has not been executed yet. You can use "stop" to cancel any number of skills which have before-action delay. I don't see why crafting should be any different.

Isn't "queue of commands" and "commands that have not been executed yet" the same damn thing?

Quote from: musashi on July 21, 2009, 02:21:03 PM
Isn't "queue of commands" and "commands that have not been executed yet" the same damn thing?
Yes. Thank you.
     -Niccolo Machiavelli

You're welcome, and my what a fast reply  ;D

Quote from: musashi on July 21, 2009, 02:22:52 PM
You're welcome, and my what a fast reply  ;D
Well, I kept re-reading my post and his post trying to see the difference.

I understand what he's saying though, that since crafting is a before-delay skill, it should also be affected by stop like other skills with the same delay, and I can agree with that. But his first sentence just tells me he didn't read my post.
     -Niccolo Machiavelli

There is a difference between commands that haven't been begun and those that have, though.  Crafting, you get a message that says something about you beginning crafting.  Thus, the 'craft ...' command HAS been executed.  It hasn't completed.  It is no longer in the commands queue.  Stop clears the queue of commands you have entered, not things that your character has already begun, and thus the stop command is purely OOC in its current implementation and I would like it to remain that way.  You want to stop crafting, end it in some other way.  Still, that's not the focus of this thread.

Should 'tdesc clear' interrupt concentration on ongoing tasks that your character is doing?  I don't think so.  Explain why you do or don't think so instead of derailing please.

Quote from: SpoonA magicker is kind of like a mousetrap, the fear is the cheese. But this cheese has an AK47.

Quote from: spawnloser on July 21, 2009, 02:34:15 PM
There is a difference between commands that haven't been begun and those that have, though.  Crafting, you get a message that says something about you beginning crafting.  Thus, the 'craft ...' command HAS been executed.  It hasn't completed.  It is no longer in the commands queue.  Stop clears the queue of commands you have entered, not things that your character has already begun, and thus the stop command is purely OOC in its current implementation and I would like it to remain that way.  You want to stop crafting, end it in some other way.  Still, that's not the focus of this thread.
That's kind along the lines of what I was thinking, looking back on my merchants. Thank you for clarifying.

Quote from: spawnloser on July 21, 2009, 02:34:15 PM
Should 'tdesc clear' interrupt concentration on ongoing tasks that your character is doing?  I don't think so.  Explain why you do or don't think so instead of derailing please.
As I've said, no, it shouldn't. Tdesc is an OOC command that your character does not physically enact and therefore should not interrupt an action. I don't think there's much room for debate on this, I think it was just overlooked in implementation and it just needs a quick fix.
     -Niccolo Machiavelli

I know you believe it shouldn't interrupt concentration, ArchBaron.  I'm looking for other feedback from others, including staff.

I agree, but at the same time I don't think it's a big issue.

I mean, you should be emoting crafting while you're crafting, not braiding your hair or painting your nails.
Quote from: musashiengaging in autoerotic asphyxiation is no excuse for sloppy grammer!!!

Armageddon.org