Author Topic: Clan & Character Updates Guide  (Read 10539 times)

Archbaron

Clan & Character Updates Guide
« on: July 19, 2009, 02:26:25 PM »
Edit - 8/27/2014 - Clan-specific email addresses are no longer used to submit character reports.  Though this post has good advice for how and why to give a character report, please use the request tool for any and all communication with staff, barring exceptional circumstances.  There is also a helpfile regarding character reports on the website, located here.

INTRODUCTION

Most people that play Armageddon choose to be part of a clan, which is a group of people collaborating in an organization. A clan is anything from the noble houses of both city-states, to the Great Merchant Houses, to the individual desert elf tribes, and all the other hard-coded groups. A good share of people, however, choose to stay unaffiliated for many reasons, and these characters are known as "independents" and have their own immortals to help them individually.

A much-overlooked aspect of character development is regular staff updates. Sending in well-formatted, informational updates to staff members can help get your character involved in plots, get you advice on situations, have your voice be heard, and have your character be watched more frequently by your clan immortals. Sending in updates is also a key tool to make sure you are not overlooked as a player and receive the help and karma you deserve. In this guide I will explain what immortals want to see in your updates (based on advice I received while playing a sponsored role), and how to properly manage and develop them to ensure success.

FORMAT

<Brief Summary>
Quickly sum up everything in the e-mail here, and include any kind of message you want to get across to the immortal. It's important to highlight here any kind of emergency or thing you need done.

<Table of Contents>
Organize your update into categories. Some examples are: meetings, sales, hostile encounters with PCs, questions, requests, and goals. It is extremely important that you divide up the e-mail so that immortals can very quickly sift through it to the information they need.

<Contents> This is the bread and butter of your update. Keep things in order, and keep the individual sections short and sweet: what happened, what you need (if anything), and what your plans are because of this.

<Conclusion> Sum up the e-mail and don't forget to thank the immortal for taking the time to read it! Smiley

This a tried-and-true simple format. Staff members go through many, many weekly updates, so it is important that you do not ramble and get right to the point. You should try to keep all your updates in the same format so they know where to look for any information. When titling the subject of the e-mail, using the following format is very helpful:

[<clan name>] <character name> - <title>

ADVICE

This will help them archive and organize your e-mails. The title of the e-mail is just like the title of a biography. It should adequately sum up the entire e-mail in just a few words. Speaking of bio updates, if you regularly added biographies (which I advise everyone to do!) then you can also redirect immortals to your bios if they have any questions about events, and it makes your updates shorter and easier to navigate. However, some immortals may still want to see it all in the update, so make sure you ask if you're unsure. Every immortal has their own style, and the quicker you conform to it, the easier it'll be for both of you to get things done.

If your character is independent (as in, not part of a coded clan) then you can still receive assistance from immortals in many ways. Independent immortals can help develop your character just as if you were in a clan. However, if you're new to Armageddon, I suggest you find a clan to join because you will have more interaction and direction. Independent immortals are very versatile due to the different kind of characters they handle, and if you're succinct and polite and clear in what you need done, you both can work together well. However, most of the time all will do is send in updates because they won't try to give you much direction or goals since you're not in any clan.

Clan updates should be sent once a week, if possible. Try not to send any before a week has passed since the last one, except in the following circumstances:

• Your character died.
  • Your character killed another character (pre-meditated or not).
  • You withdrew a large amount of money from the clan bank.
  • You need immediate assistance (in which case, I advise wishing up in-game).

Do not attach things to your e-mail. They will be ignored because of the possibility of viruses.

E-MAIL LIST

EDIT: NO LONGER VALID. Please use the request tool to communicate with staff and submit character reports.

The following are the e-mails of all the coded clans of Armageddon. This list can also be found by clicking here. Each clan also has password-protected documentation, and I advise you to seek out their documentation so you can better conform to the role. You can receive the log-in information by contacting your immortal (a good topic of your first update, eh? :)).

• allanaki_nobles@armageddon.org (this includes all employees and slaves, not just nobles)
  • arm_of_the_dragon@armageddon.org
  • bards_of_poets_circle@armageddon.org
  • desert_elves@armageddon.org
  • house_kadius@armageddon.org
  • house_kurac@armageddon.org
  • house_nenyuk@armageddon.org
  • house_salarr@armageddon.org
  • human_tribals@armageddon.org
  • ptarken@armageddon.org
  • tan_muark@armageddon.org
  • the_guild@armageddon.org
  • tuluki_nobles@armageddon.org (this includes all employees and slaves, not just nobles)
  • tuluki_templarate@armageddon.org
  • tzai_byn@armageddon.org
  • independents@armageddon.org
  • utep_sun_clan@armageddon.org

By sending e-mails to these addresses, your e-mail is automatically CC'd to the MUD account, which you need to make sure of so they can be properly archived. When an immortal replies, make sure you CC your correspondences to the clan account. The immortal usually does, so watch what they do and make sure your conversations can be seen by all the clan immortals. All e-mails sent to the clan e-mail account are automatically forwarded to the clan immortals, so there is no need to do that.

You can also contact an individual immortal by sending an e-mail to: <username>@armageddon.org (ex. vanth@armageddon.org, shalooonsh@armageddon.org). These e-mails are not automatically forwarded to the clan or MUD e-mails, so don't forget to CC your clan.

EXAMPLE UPDATE

{the following update is entirely fabricated and is only for the sake of example}

Date: Sat, Jan 31, 2009 at 1:25 AM
Subject: [T'Zai Byn] Amos - Sparring Wounds
To: tzai_byn@armageddon.org

Greetings!

My Runner, Amos, has recently suffered some serious sparring wounds, and I have some questions about role-playing them out.

~~~~~

Sparring Incidents

2. Questions

3. Goals

~~~~~

1. Sparring Incidents
-----

On January 27th, Amos suffered from a blow to the head from a club and was nearly knocked unconscious. On January 29th, his arm was slashed badly with an obsidian sword by Malik, the dwarf. I have role-played both of these out as permanent injuries. He currently suffers from chronic head-aches since he was not wearing a helmet, and I added a locdesc scar to his arm for the damage dealt by the sword.

Some of the other characters have sustained similar injuries and are starting to kind of follow my trend, so expect more realistic sparring here in the future between all of us! :)

~~~~~

2. Questions
-----

1) What is your view on sparring injuries? Do you think the weapons we use are incapable of the injuries I'm role-playing?

2) When can you have that Lieutenant around so I can get my punishment for selling that information to House Tor?

3) Do you have any suggestions for my character?

~~~~~

3. Goals
-----

Currently, I want to start a rebellion within my troop so I can rally them behind me. My character wants our Sergeant to crumble because of what he did to me in front of Lord Oash. I'm currently working on acquiring the trust of my fellow Runners and Troopers without catching the suspicion of my Sergeant. I'm starting to think Talia is a spy, and I'm taking appropriate action by keeping a close eye on her.

~~~~~

Thank you for taking the time to read this, I look forward to your responses.

-Archbaron

As you can see, a weekly update is as simple or as complicated as you make it. Also, as far as I can tell, the Armageddon e-mail server supports HTML, so feel free to use bold and italics to get your points across.

CONCLUSION
As you can see, weekly character updates are the key link between your clan immortals and your character, so using them to get the most out of the game will not only enhance your experience, but everyone's. It's important to keep everyone on the same page, especially in the fast-paced world of Armageddon. However, as long as you stay brief and polite in your updates, you should have no problems collaborating with staff members to make Armageddon the great game it is.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2014, 06:35:54 PM by LauraMars »
"Never was anything great achieved without danger."
     -Niccolo Machiavelli

Cutthroat

• Helper
Re: Clan & Character Updates Guide
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2009, 03:04:14 PM »
That is a very nice format. I use a similar one, actually.

To clarify just a bit on the E-mail section though, I'd add that...

allanaki_nobles includes players of commoner employees and slaves of the various Allanaki Houses.
tuluki_nobles includes players of commoner employees and slaves of the various Tuluki Houses.

Since the law enforcement's broken down for both cities between militia and templarate, but not the noble houses, it might trip people up.

Archbaron

« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2009, 03:17:54 PM »
That is a very nice format. I use a similar one, actually.

To clarify just a bit on the E-mail section though, I'd add that...

allanaki_nobles includes players of commoner employees and slaves of the various Allanaki Houses.
tuluki_nobles includes players of commoner employees and slaves of the various Tuluki Houses.

Since the law enforcement's broken down for both cities between militia and templarate, but not the noble houses, it might trip people up.
Excellent point, I added that note for clarification.
     -Niccolo Machiavelli

Kol

« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2009, 07:41:27 PM »
 ;DTHANK YOU!!!!! been wondering how best to format one of these for a while.......my original idea was wayyyyy off.....I was gonna write itlike a story.....

this helps loads, thanks.
Quote from: BleakOne
Dammit Kol you made me laugh too.
A staff member sends:
     "Hi! Please don't kill the sparring dummy."

jcljules

« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2009, 08:28:00 PM »
As you can see, a weekly update is as simple or as complicated as you make it. Also, as far as I can tell, the Armageddon e-mail server supports HTML, so feel free to use bold and italics to get your points across.

Animated GIFs too, maybe?  ;)
Quote from: Gimfalisette
(10:00:49 PM) Gimf: Yes, you sentence? I sentence often.

Medena

« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2009, 09:20:00 PM »

Animated GIFs too, maybe?  ;)

I frequently use colours as well as bold and italics.  [and I once started off an update with a link to a webpage which played the Addams Family theme song]
Quote from: J S Bach
If it ain't baroque, don't fix it.

brytta.leofa

« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2009, 09:45:55 PM »
Good stuff.

You might want to note that emails to individual staffers should also be CC:ed to the mud account.
The sword is sharp, the spear is long,
The arrow swift, the Gate is strong.
The heart is bold that looks on gold;
The dwarves no more shall suffer wrong.

Archbaron

« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2009, 10:17:12 PM »
Good stuff.

You might want to note that emails to individual staffers should also be CC:ed to the mud account.
Done.
     -Niccolo Machiavelli

Morrolan

« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2009, 11:06:15 AM »
Good stuff.

I usually send the emails to individual staffers to my "clan" staffers as well.  Which, I believe, should cc: the mud account automatically.

Morrolan
"I have seen him show most of the attributes one expects of a noble: courtesy, kindness, and honor.  I would also say he is one of the most bloodthirsty bastards I have ever met."

Archbaron

« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2009, 12:20:59 PM »
Good stuff.

I usually send the emails to individual staffers to my "clan" staffers as well.  Which, I believe, should cc: the mud account automatically.

Morrolan
There is no need. All e-mails sent to a clan account are automatically forwarded to all immortals on that clan and CC'd to the MUD. Sending an e-mail specifically to a staffer, however, does neither of those things.
     -Niccolo Machiavelli

Archbaron

« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2009, 03:09:14 PM »
;DTHANK YOU!!!!! been wondering how best to format one of these for a while.......my original idea was wayyyyy off.....I was gonna write itlike a story.....

this helps loads, thanks.
If you want to write your character's life like a story, then you can still do it, but do it as a bio entry. Make sure you mention the entry in your report so if they want to read the story and possibly extract more information, they can.
     -Niccolo Machiavelli

Lizzie

« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2009, 04:18:01 PM »
I usually just send sprawling rambling narrations, and figure the staff's eyeballs will bug out badly enough that they'll agree with everything I type if only I'd let them get to the end of the e-mail.

It -usually- works.
Talia said: Notice to all: Do not mess with Lizzie's GDB. She will cut you.
Delirium said: Notice to all: do not mess with Lizzie's soap. She will cut you.

Kol

« Reply #12 on: July 20, 2009, 04:51:16 PM »
Just sent off my first Character update....used this format.

When I re-read it after I wrote it, It flowed a lot easier then some of the practice ones Id written up.

I give Archbaron two thumbs up, up where? you'll never know.
Quote from: BleakOne
Dammit Kol you made me laugh too.
A staff member sends:
     "Hi! Please don't kill the sparring dummy."

Archbaron

« Reply #13 on: July 20, 2009, 05:22:44 PM »
Just sent off my first Character update....used this format.

When I re-read it after I wrote it, It flowed a lot easier then some of the practice ones Id written up.

I give Archbaron two thumbs up, up where? you'll never know.
Glad it was of some use to you. :)
     -Niccolo Machiavelli

SMuz

« Reply #14 on: July 20, 2009, 07:41:34 PM »
Ah, excellent. I never knew what to write in those updates :P
Clans can give stat bonuses and penalties, too. The Byn drop in wisdom is particularly notorious.

Adhira

• Producer
« Reply #15 on: July 29, 2009, 06:47:04 PM »
Maybe something in there about not adding attachments and instead including all info the text of the email? We staff have taken to ignoring attachments due to the nasty viruses that get spread around.
"It doesn't matter what country someone's from, or what they look like, or the color of their skin. It doesn't matter what they smell like, or that they spell words slightly differently, some would say more correctly." - Jemaine Clement. FOTC.

Archbaron

« Reply #16 on: July 31, 2009, 07:03:40 PM »
Maybe something in there about not adding attachments and instead including all info the text of the email? We staff have taken to ignoring attachments due to the nasty viruses that get spread around.
Excellent point.
     -Niccolo Machiavelli

Lizzie

« Reply #17 on: July 31, 2009, 07:06:29 PM »

This is information that would have been extremely useful. I've added attachments, and no one's told me not to, or even suggested that they were being ignored, or that any future attachments were at risk of being ignored.
Talia said: Notice to all: Do not mess with Lizzie's GDB. She will cut you.
Delirium said: Notice to all: do not mess with Lizzie's soap. She will cut you.

Barsook

« Reply #18 on: August 24, 2014, 08:16:05 AM »
This needs to be updated since we use the request tool now.

Reiloth

• Corpse Pose: B&W Film Photography
« Reply #19 on: August 27, 2014, 04:43:26 PM »
I don't know if it needs to be updated, or just stamped with a 'This is no longer valid as we use the request tool, now'.
"You will have useful work: the destruction of evil men. What work could be more useful? This is Beyond; you will find that your work is never done -- So therefore you may never know a life of peace."

~Jack Vance~

Barsook

« Reply #20 on: August 27, 2014, 05:35:15 PM »
Or that.

LauraMars

• Helper
« Reply #21 on: August 27, 2014, 06:31:44 PM »
I updated the original post - does that look ok to you guys? I think the format laid out here is actually still helpful and useful.
Child, child, if you come to this doomed house, what is to save you?

A voice whispers, "Read the tales upon the walls."

Barsook

« Reply #22 on: August 27, 2014, 07:19:12 PM »
Thank you!  Though I think that e-mail list can be removed.

whitt

« Reply #23 on: August 27, 2014, 09:54:32 PM »
I updated the original post - does that look ok to you guys? I think the format laid out here is actually still helpful and useful.

Would suggest a word replace in the body of the message to replace e-mail with request.
Quote from: BadSkeelz
Ah well you should just kill those PCs. They're not worth the time of plotting creatively against.

Case

• Helper
« Reply #24 on: August 31, 2014, 09:58:49 PM »
I write my reports in titled sections, and use different colours of text for normal info, unreported info, player comment and request/urgent text in it so it can all be put in logical clumps.

Barsook

« Reply #25 on: September 17, 2014, 06:57:47 PM »
Just adding this:

As there is apparently some confusion over this, when sending in your Character Report, if you normally would have put Item Orders in with it, we ask that you separate it out into an Item Order request.  In your Character Report you can ask any other IC/OOC or questions you need to as related to your character's life over the previous however long you go between reports.

from here: http://gdb.armageddon.org/index.php/topic,38621.0.html