Skill Level and Augmentations

Started by jmordetsky, June 28, 2009, 02:03:59 AM

Quote from: Jenred on June 29, 2009, 01:54:42 AM
Not all items that have stat bonuses are any better or worse then ones that don't.

Items implemented long ago don't routinely get reviewed, and they rely on players ideaing/typoing/bugging them to get them on the same page as newer items.

I agree with you. And the only way to really solve it is to make the effects transparent so people can bug them. Keeping it hidden will continue it as is.
If you gaze for long enough into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

www.j03m.com

I've said it before, and I'll say it again: Moh's scale for hardness in building materials.  One can tell IRL that Oak is harder than Balsa, even if I don't know how many HP of damage it will do.  Same with different types of stone or chitin.
You'll never find a more wretched hive of scum and villany.  Except for maybe Allanak."

-Anonymous

I pick my cloaks by the cool looking desc/stamina+ determinant scale. It's very complicated   ;)

But can you tell the difference between basalt and jade? I mean...not really. I think the solution is to keep making items in line with their desc. And it's not all about stamina boosts for boots in particular...maybe the fluffly tregil-skin fancy jackboots from lord snozzpants you own are really nice and let air breath but really really hard on your soles if you walk on them.
I tripped and Fale down my stairs. Drink milk and you'll grow Uaptal. I know this guy from the state of Tenneshi. This house will go up Borsail tomorrow. I gave my book to him Nenyuk it back again. I hired this guy golfing to Kadius around for a while.

I was -SO- pissed off when I spent a large amount of sid on a pair of boots with tons of hints to traveling and comfort, only to find my worn out pair of chalton leather boots had more stam+.

I wore them anyways.

I am in favor of the tag being added. I am not a master at everything irl. Seriously I am not. My character is really only good at doing what I am good at. This would allow me to let them keep progressing through life.
Quote from: Cutthroat on September 30, 2008, 10:15:55 PM
> forage artifacts

You find a rusty, armed landmine and pick it up.

Frankly, I'd love it if enough effect flags were added to correctly depict every item of gear, and if multiple effects were added to things that deserved it. That means that:

A pair of black, kryl-plated boots can be worn on one's feet.
A pair of black, kryl-plated boots looks like it will fit you.
A pair of black, kryl-plated boots appear to be rather awkward. (-2 move)
A pair of black, kryl-plated boots appear to hinder climbing. (-5 climb)
A pair of black, kryl-plated boots appear to be very useful for kicking. (+3 kick)
A pair of black, kryl-plated boots appear to be very protective. (plate armor)

or

A pair of brown, leather-soled boots can be worn on one's feet.
A pair of brown, leather-soled boots looks like it will fit you.
A pair of brown, leather-soled boots appears to be very comfortable. (+5 move)
A pair of brown, leather-soled boots appears to be sort of unprotective. (shoddy work)

Obviously, the things in parenthesis are not seen by players.

This is what I'd like to really see. I could produce an entire list, with positive and negative messages, if I were asked to, and could create the effects as well. I know this is an RPI, but every tool should do something, and every piece of armor should have advantages and disadvantages, based solely upon the description. Some clothing should do things, or hinder things.

Allanaki high-fashion has agility murdering qualities. Tuluki items have movement hindering qualities at times. I'd love to create a system whereby everything was equally beneficial and detrimental as they should be. It's part of the RPI experience.
Wynning since October 25, 2008.

Quote from: Ami on November 23, 2010, 03:40:39 PM
>craft newbie into good player

You accidentally snap newbie into useless pieces.

Discord:The7DeadlyVenomz#3870

Quote from: The7DeadlyVenomz on June 30, 2009, 04:45:18 PM
Frankly, I'd love it if enough effect flags were added to correctly depict every item of gear, and if multiple effects were added to things that deserved it. That means that:

A pair of black, kryl-plated boots appear to be very useful for kicking. (+3 kick)

or

A pair of brown, leather-soled boots appears to be sort of unprotective. (shoddy work)

This is what I'd like to really see. I could produce an entire list, with positive and negative messages, if I were asked to, and could create the effects as well. I know this is an RPI, but every tool should do something, and every piece of armor should have advantages and disadvantages, based solely upon the description. Some clothing should do things, or hinder things.

Allanaki high-fashion has agility murdering qualities. Tuluki items have movement hindering qualities at times. I'd love to create a system whereby everything was equally beneficial and detrimental as they should be. It's part of the RPI experience.

I'd love all of that save for the numbers...I think have a keyword like [good|very good|excellent|exceptional] would be better, but I guess once you know what those represent it wouldn't matter but...numbers...meh.

www.j03m.com

Quote from: jmordetsky on June 30, 2009, 07:49:17 PM
Quote from: The7DeadlyVenomz on June 30, 2009, 04:45:18 PM

or

I'd love all of that save for the numbers...I think have a keyword like [good|very good|excellent|exceptional] would be better, but I guess once you know what those represent it wouldn't matter but...numbers...meh.

Relevant portion bolded.  ;D

To be more descriptive:

Let's take an effect that affects stamina.

Unless I miss my guess, staff can already assign this to an item in a process that is, more or less, along the lines of -2 or +3, and so on. There may a different process, but this is the simplest to explain and also the most likely.

The change would do this to this effect.

It would create an effects message section of code, or script. Each effect would have a different set of messages, one positive and one negative. No effect would result in no message.

For stamina, the positive result (ie: +#) would have a message like this:
   #ITEM appears to be %# for maintaining your endurance.
The negative result (ie: -#) would have a message like this:
   #ITEM appears to be %# wearing on your endurance.

The symbol %# is used to reference another section of list-like code, where adjective values are placed for each effect. For instance, for stamina, this might be the list:
// + stamina
   okay (1-5), fairly good (6-10), good (11-20), really good (21-25), great (26-30), exceptional (30+)
// - stamina
   sort of (1-5), a little (6-10), quite (11-20), quite (21-25), horribly (26-30), terribly (30+)

So then a builder builds a pair of grey hide boots, and decides that they are poorly made, with heavy soles. He decides to tuck a -6 onto the boots.

When you assess the boots, you get:
   A pair of grey hide boots can be worn on one's feet.
   A pair of grey hide boots looks like it will fit you.
   A pair of grey hide boots appears to be a little wearing on your endurance.

Quote from: The7DeadlyVenomz on June 30, 2009, 07:53:33 PM
Relevant portion bolded.  ;D

HAHAHA. yea, I need to learn to read.

www.j03m.com

So.. Is this how you write a master craft request if the item is intended to increase a stat/skill?  Gives +10 to sneak and -10 to endurance? Or whatever?
I have learned that one can, in fact, typo to death.

Quote from: KismeticTuluk is not Inception, the text experience.

If you wish to have a special factor to your MC such as bonsues to sneaking, endurance, it's actually better to include your intention in a character report in regular request. The reason for this is so the staff can give you their thoughts or advice on the topic. Once your MC submission is sent, if they refuse, it burns your monthly attempt.

Quote from: Jeshin on October 11, 2012, 06:35:51 PM
If you wish to have a special factor to your MC such as bonsues to sneaking, endurance, it's actually better to include your intention in a character report in regular request. The reason for this is so the staff can give you their thoughts or advice on the topic. Once your MC submission is sent, if they refuse, it burns your monthly attempt.

This isn't strictly true. I can and regularly do ask questions in mastercraft requests, both regarding item bonuses/attributes and for more basic purposes such as requesting spellchecking or rewriting. There's a lot of dialogue that goes into mastercrafting and in the year I've been on staff, it's never ended in us just canceling someone's mastercraft attempt altogether. There's plenty of margin for changes to be made.
QuoteCalavera,

Your Shoot Me In The Head request has been resolved. We do not have sufficient ammunition to process your request at this time.

Italis
Armageddon Staff

Quote from: Calavera on October 12, 2012, 08:20:09 PM
Quote from: Jeshin on October 11, 2012, 06:35:51 PM

This isn't strictly true. I can and regularly do ask questions in mastercraft requests, both regarding item bonuses/attributes and for more basic purposes such as requesting spellchecking or rewriting. There's a lot of dialogue that goes into mastercrafting and in the year I've been on staff, it's never ended in us just canceling someone's mastercraft attempt altogether. There's plenty of margin for changes to be made.
To add to this point, I tried to mastercraft a bonnet once and staff told me no, but they left the request open and allowed me to submit something new in its stead.

QuoteA female voice says, in sirihish:
     "] yer a wizard, oashi"

Please tell me it was "the pretty floral bonnet".

October 13, 2012, 01:57:03 AM #41 Last Edit: October 13, 2012, 02:03:04 AM by bcw81
Quote from: RogueGunslinger on October 13, 2012, 12:45:56 AM
It was. It was indeed.

QuoteKeywords: bonnet pretty floral pattern [REDACTED]
SDESC: a pretty, floral bonnet
LDESC:  a pretty bonnet lies discarded on the floor, covered in a floral pattern

Mind you, staff wouldn't allow this. :c

QuoteA female voice says, in sirihish:
     "] yer a wizard, oashi"

Perfect thing for the scarred, war-torn mul to wear.
Quote from: Wug on August 28, 2013, 05:59:06 AM
Vennant doesn't appear to age because he serves drinks at the speed of light. Now you know why there's no delay on the buy code in the Gaj.

Quote from: BleakOne on October 13, 2012, 05:29:36 AM

Perfect thing for the scarred, war-torn mul to wear.

Awww they should have let that one in in.  :P well maybe not with the pretty part but 'frilly floral bonnet' or something.
The sound of a thunderous explosion tears through the air and blasts waves of pressure ripple through the ground.

Looking northward, the rugged, stubble-bearded templar asks you, in sirihish:
     "Well... I think it worked...?"

Just throwing it out there, what if this were implemented and your ability to determine whether a pair of boots were good for travel/kicking/climbing was determined by your guild? Like you had three pairs of boots and needed to go travel by foot somewhere and asked your hunter friend which pair they thought would be best for traveling, instead of being able to tell by yourself, because this is the first time you needed to decide on such a thing since you're an assassin or merchant or something. But a burglar could assess a pair's ability to assist in climbing, and a warrior could assess boots for kicking, a pickpocket for fleeing. To me that would make more sense than someone who has never left the city walls nor knows anything about travel checking out their new pair of boots and seeing that they're great for traveling.
https://armageddon.org/help/view/Inappropriate%20vernacular
gorgio: someone who is not romani, not a gypsy.
kumpania: a family of story tellers.
vardo: a horse-drawn wagon used by British Romani as their home. always well-crafted, often painted and gilded

It's sort of already like that.  Sort of.

Obviously it would be similar to tools and weapons already are: you only know something might be useful if you have the relevant skill.

Synthesis' posts sum up how I feel it should be done, though I know it'd probably be a ton of effort to do so.

I like the idea for being able to tell if something is useful...

IF you have the skill in question.

Someone assessing an archery brace with no clue about archery shouldn't really know the nuances of why it would help them out.  The same goes for some noble who has never hidden a day in their life about some sneaky cloak..  "That cloak doesn't look very posh on me, Mr. Tiddlywinks, I think I'll toss it in the garbage.  The bright orange one is much more... fun!".

Though for all intents and purposes, just let everyone see it.  Especially if its easier to implement.

It would be somewhat amusing (especially for elf crafters) if you could craft things with faux-bonus messages that would appear to anyone with a certain low level of skill, but not for someone with mastery of the skill.
Quote from: WarriorPoet
I play this game to pretend to chop muthafuckaz up with bone swords.
Quote from: SmuzI come to the GDB to roleplay being deep and wise.
Quote from: VanthSynthesis, you scare me a little bit.