Watch <thing> <direction>

Started by Synthesis, June 21, 2009, 11:42:39 PM

n/t
Quote from: WarriorPoet
I play this game to pretend to chop muthafuckaz up with bone swords.
Quote from: SmuzI come to the GDB to roleplay being deep and wise.
Quote from: VanthSynthesis, you scare me a little bit.

Way too much room for abuse.

I kid. I like the idea.

Yay good idea.
Quote from: Fathi on March 08, 2018, 06:40:45 PMAnd then I sat there going "really? that was it? that's so stupid."

I still think the best closure you get in Armageddon is just moving on to the next character.

This was always something missing from the watch functionality, and I've cried for it myself many times.

Considering we'll be able to follow people at a distance in the next game, I assume that it will be the same for watch as well.

The question is, why can't we have it noooow?
Any questions, comments, or condemnations to an eternity of fiery torment?

Waving a hammer, the irate, seething crafter says, in rage-accented sirihish :
"Be impressed.  Now!"

If you are in the room with something, and you start watching it, you will notice it anytime you can see it, after you move.

The ability to do this at distance is not a far fetched idea at all.
Wynning since October 25, 2008.

Quote from: Ami on November 23, 2010, 03:40:39 PM
>craft newbie into good player

You accidentally snap newbie into useless pieces.

Discord:The7DeadlyVenomz#3870

Yes.

I think the only thing the only thing holding this back is being hard to code, but the (direction) part seems to solve that a bit.
Quote from: Rahnevyn on March 09, 2009, 03:39:45 PM
Clans can give stat bonuses and penalties, too. The Byn drop in wisdom is particularly notorious.

As long as it applied a scaling penalty to your watch skill based on distance, terrain, and weather . . . sounds pro.

This would be sex.
A staff member sends you:
"Normally we don't see a <redacted> walk into a room full of <redacted> and start indiscriminately killing."

You send to staff:
"Welcome to Armageddon."

How about watch showing emotes and when someone's speaking while you're watching in that direction?
Quote from: MalifaxisWe need to listen to spawnloser.
Quote from: Reiterationspawnloser knows all

Quote from: SpoonA magicker is kind of like a mousetrap, the fear is the cheese. But this cheese has an AK47.

Yes. Seriously. That bit has always bugged me about the watch command - not knowing when someone emotes and speaks.
Wynning since October 25, 2008.

Quote from: Ami on November 23, 2010, 03:40:39 PM
>craft newbie into good player

You accidentally snap newbie into useless pieces.

Discord:The7DeadlyVenomz#3870

Quote from: The7DeadlyVenomz on June 23, 2009, 10:55:47 AM
Yes. Seriously. That bit has always bugged me about the watch command - not knowing when someone emotes and speaks.
Quote from: Gimfalisette
(10:00:49 PM) Gimf: Yes, you sentence? I sentence often.

I'm getting a bad habit of reviving old topics...
But I think this would be a good idea.
Live like God.
Love like God.

"Don't let life be your burden."
- Some guy, Twin Warriors

I've tried this a few times, thinking it was already in the code.  It's pretty intuitive for it to work that way as well, in my opinion.
Quote from: ZoltanWhen in doubt, play dangerous, awkward or intense situations to the hilt, every time.

The Official GDB Hate Cycle

Quote from: Chettaman on December 21, 2009, 01:04:26 PM
I'm getting a bad habit of reviving old topics...
But I think this would be a good idea.

Knock it off. If it's older than two weeks, leave it alone.
There's a lot of shit you don't know about me, Mom.

How about you quit being a jerk? Some of us aren't as jaded and well-read on the GDB as you are, good sir.

edit: Taking the high road.
There's a lot of shit you don't know about me, Mom.

Quote from: Harmonic on December 21, 2009, 05:16:32 PM
edit: Taking the high road.

A bit late, it looks like.

Keep it clean for next time, or all of your accounts may suffer difficulties.
I seduced the daughters of men
And made the death of them.
I demanded human sacrifices
From the rest of them.
I became the spirit that haunted
And protected them.
And I lived in the tower of flame
But death collected them.
-War is my Destiny, Ill Bill

Didn't it used to be like that? I feel like I've been watching a direction, and saw when someone emoted, just not the emotes for talking.

Or was that a second-hand-weed induced dream?
Quote from: IAmJacksOpinion on May 20, 2013, 11:16:52 PM
Masks are the Armageddon equivalent of Ed Hardy shirts.

If you watch someone and they leave the room and go to a different you can see watch them from another room, but not the way the syntax in the topic line implies.  :(
Quote from: Marauder Moe
Oh my god he's still rocking the sandwich.

You see socials with watch but not emotes...and a bunch of other things.
A gaunt, yellow-skinned gith shrieks in fear, and hauls ass.
Lizzie:
If you -want- me to think that your character is a hybrid of a black kryl and a white push-broom shaped like a penis, then you've done a great job

January 05, 2010, 12:58:07 PM #21 Last Edit: January 05, 2010, 01:02:20 PM by Incognito
One thing I've noticed about the Watch Skill - which can possibly be termed as abuse is:

You start watching PC X.

X moves away - ok - you're still watching him from a distance.

X moves farther away - still cool - you're a pro - you're concentrating totally on him and watching him from a long distance now.

X moves out of vision range, and returns, possibly hours later, and that too from another direction - but - you're STILL watching him - not cool!!! - just coz you did not change the target of your Watch Skill or did not turn it off, doesn't give you some kind of automagickal ability to sense them from every direction - and for an unlimited period of time.

I seriously think the Watch Skill needs to be toned down, so that it wears off after a certain amount of time AND it also wears off if the target has moved away more than a designated amount of rooms.

Edited to add:
You may have noticed this:
You are currently watching X. (This remains in your status, even if the PC has moved out of visual range - i.e. codedly, you're watching over someone who isnt there, AND, it doesnt get reset, unless you manually do so, even though the PC might be leagues away and for an indefinite amount of time).
The figure in a dark hooded cloak says in rinthi-accented Sirihish, 'Winrothol Tor Fale?'

Not a fan. Maybe if they leave your line of sight it turns off. But I'm already aggravated when I'm listening to something and I go ten minutes of not hearing, then I realize it made my character stop listening when they would still be listening due to a timer. I would not want watch to automatically wear off as well, because it would probably take a good long while for me to notice, oocly. If I want to stop watching someone, I'll stop watching them. If they get far enough out of range that I can't see them, clearly I'm not watching them anymore. But I don't want it to just randomly shut off. No thank you.
Quote from: Wug
No one on staff is just waiting for the opportunity to get revenge on someone who killed one of their characters years ago.

Except me. I remember every death. And I am coming for you bastards.

Quote from: AmandaGreathouse on January 05, 2010, 01:15:34 PM
Not a fan. Maybe if they leave your line of sight it turns off. But I'm already aggravated when I'm listening to something and I go ten minutes of not hearing, then I realize it made my character stop listening when they would still be listening due to a timer. I would not want watch to automatically wear off as well, because it would probably take a good long while for me to notice, oocly. If I want to stop watching someone, I'll stop watching them. If they get far enough out of range that I can't see them, clearly I'm not watching them anymore. But I don't want it to just randomly shut off. No thank you.

Point taken and understood AGH.

However, how can it be ICLY justified that you're watching someone indefinitely, and in all possible directions, all the time - until you decide you don't want to watch that person any more?
Also, please realise, code-wise, this skill overrides changes in clothing - i.e. you might be watching me in the eastern direction leaving in a dark hooded cloak, and, if I approach you from another direction an hour or two later, wearing another cloak, you'll still know its me - coz codewise you're still watching me with the skill.......how is that realistic?
The figure in a dark hooded cloak says in rinthi-accented Sirihish, 'Winrothol Tor Fale?'

No, I mean, I'm totally cool with watch shutting off when someone leaves your line of sight. Just not while your in the middle of the tavern, bsing them and trying to check for tics so you see whether or not their buying your line of bs.

If somebody leaves, absolutely, shut it off.

If you're sitting right across from them, staring them down (subtly, of course!), it makes no sense to turn off just for the sake of a timer.
Quote from: Wug
No one on staff is just waiting for the opportunity to get revenge on someone who killed one of their characters years ago.

Except me. I remember every death. And I am coming for you bastards.