Mount Speed

Started by Cerelum, June 05, 2009, 11:35:35 AM

Mount speed needs to be increased quite a bit.  I've found that if I get my mount from the stable and ride to the gate to go out hunting, it takes about two minutes longer than just hitching the mount and walking him all the way there.

Mounts should move faster than a human walk.

Jarod

June 05, 2009, 11:47:36 AM #1 Last Edit: June 05, 2009, 11:49:18 AM by brytta.leofa
Some of the commonly-available mounts are pretty horrific.

Each major start location does have at least one sane mount type available.
The sword is sharp, the spear is long,
The arrow swift, the Gate is strong.
The heart is bold that looks on gold;
The dwarves no more shall suffer wrong.

A lot of mounts are fast. Find out which are.

There should be a templar or whatever who is selling mounts that goes:

And here we have a war beetle, it moves slow as piss but has the stamina of a champion.

Here is a plains ox, again, slow as piss but doesn't have the chance of eating you as you sleep.

etc etc.

Jarod

You're faster than your mount?  Really?  Well, yeah, that's probably how it's supposed to be.  Some mounts are slow.  Deal with it.  You want a fast mount, figure out which one is fast.

Also, it takes two minutes longer?  The hell gates are you going to???  The ones on the FAR side of the city?  Most stables are within 10 rooms of the gate and it would be IMPOSSIBLE for it to take two minutes LONGER than walking.  It takes less than a minute to walk to the gates from the stables.
Quote from: MalifaxisWe need to listen to spawnloser.
Quote from: Reiterationspawnloser knows all

Quote from: SpoonA magicker is kind of like a mousetrap, the fear is the cheese. But this cheese has an AK47.

Quote from: spawnloser on June 05, 2009, 11:56:31 AM
You're faster than your mount?  Really?  Well, yeah, that's probably how it's supposed to be.  Some mounts are slow.  Deal with it.  You want a fast mount, figure out which one is fast.

Also, it takes two minutes longer?  The hell gates are you going to???  The ones on the FAR side of the city?  Most stables are within 10 rooms of the gate and it would be IMPOSSIBLE for it to take two minutes LONGER than walking.  It takes less than a minute to walk to the gates from the stables.

Clan stables are free, yet not always very close to the gate.

The more you know...

So you're getting free stabling and you're complaining about it taking too long for you to walk through a city in which you suffer no stamina loss?

Deal with it.  Some mounts walk slower than you.  If you want a fast mount, spend more money on another mount.  Learn IC.  Find someone to teach you IC.  Don't expect to have your character learn from NPCs.  You're a PC.  Deal with PCs.

Quote from: SpoonA magicker is kind of like a mousetrap, the fear is the cheese. But this cheese has an AK47.

I think the answer for this is an IC one.

Go on a search for a faster mount.  Make it interesting, send rangers to find you faster beasts, put up a bounty for whoever can bring you the fastest mount or something.   :D
It matters not how strait the gate,
How charged with punishments the scroll,
I am the master of my fate:
I am the captain of my soul.

Well, I am a ranger, and I know where there is a very fast mount creature...but I'm scared to travel there...  I would be leaving my little bubble of comfort.

Well, there you go.  To get the awesome stuff you have to take risks.  Take risks.

Translation from spawnloser:

Greetings,

There are ways in which one can discern the speed/lack thereof in any given mount. If your current mount seems a bit slow, study them closely and note which physical traits they possess. If you see a mount of similar origin, perhaps it would be wise to avoid said creature in favor of a lighter, more mobile creature.

Consider for instance erdlu, ratlon and sunback. These three creatures are light, mobile, yet genuinely weaker in comparison to their counterparts. The warbeetle, kank (R.I.P.) and inix are all three larger, yet slower than their fleet-footed opposition.

I am delighted you chose to ask this question, as it comes up from time to time yet most certainly bears repeating. Thank you for your time, and I hope I was of some service to you, friend.

Best,

spawn

Wow, and I even felt better about myself in writing that too. Quick spawn, you try!

The only mount I have a problem with is the sunback lizard which is literally slower than a human sneaking on foot, to the point where riding one in the wilderness is dangerous because predators will catch and attack you because of its lack of speed. The rest of the mounts seem alright to me.

From what I've seen, every mount in game has at least one advantage over the rest.
Quote from: Twilight on January 22, 2013, 08:17:47 PMGreb - To scavenge, forage, and if Whira is with you, loot the dead.
Grebber - One who grebs.

I've actually had a PC in game that would follow people on sunbacks to loot the corpse and take the mount back and sell it. He called sunbacks bait carriers.
A gaunt, yellow-skinned gith shrieks in fear, and hauls ass.
Lizzie:
If you -want- me to think that your character is a hybrid of a black kryl and a white push-broom shaped like a penis, then you've done a great job