Halflings, the ninjas of the Known World?

Started by alicedavignon, April 22, 2009, 09:09:47 AM

May 05, 2009, 06:43:44 AM #50 Last Edit: May 05, 2009, 06:48:31 AM by alicedavignon
Quote from: staggerlee on May 04, 2009, 01:06:12 PM
Quote from: RogueGunslinger on May 04, 2009, 12:55:46 PM
Quote from: Eloran on May 04, 2009, 12:46:42 PM
Why the FUCK are you comparing Zalanthas to the real world?

What else are we going to compare to? Other fake worlds?

Ugh. I'd like pound out something about style, theme, gameplay and internal consistency trumping realism... but after that lovely little display of attitude, I don't really want to say anything to support Eloran's case.
Don't be an ass, it doesn't do much to convince anyone or to win support for your argument.

He definitely missed the Logos part of the equation.

Quote from: Anael on May 04, 2009, 04:24:57 PM
'nuff said

Yeah, but lightsabers? If my character had a lightsaber I'd solo everything from a mekillot to the dragon from level one onwards.

Size would deal out more damage, but smaller people won't necessarily take less damage. Especially not the fast ones. There's more to melee damage than physics, defending against damage is all about movement, unless you're paralyzed and held down. Other games abstract out skill in reducing damage by giving out higher hit points, or so some designers argued.

So, yeah, there's a huge amount of flexibility for it making sense :P
Quote from: Rahnevyn on March 09, 2009, 03:39:45 PM
Clans can give stat bonuses and penalties, too. The Byn drop in wisdom is particularly notorious.

Quote from: Kryos on May 08, 2009, 04:50:20 PM
Quote from: SMuz on May 05, 2009, 07:04:40 AM
There's more to melee damage than physics

No.  There is not.

Well, ok, worded that wrong. But it's all in vectors and halflings have enough ability to move in all 3 planes, with the magickers possibly even moving in the 4th one. And since impulse (damage) is F/(delta)t, the dodging ability of halflings should be able to drastically counter any F advantages from having big muscles or bulk.

Also, anyone who takes martial arts up to a moderate level knows that power in all attacks is made from your foot/leg, and it's easier to aim that power to someone's skull 2 cords above you rather than aim it 2 cords below. I don't have enough mechanical knowledge to calculate that, but you're welcome to do it if you wish.. just take the source of force from the thigh reflected off the ground with an addition of force from the biceps, underarm, and elbow. Then you can confidently model how a halfling would act in battle.

Unless they're fighting a half-giant, where the muscles in a HG's biceps are probably far stronger than in any human's body combined.
Quote from: Rahnevyn on March 09, 2009, 03:39:45 PM
Clans can give stat bonuses and penalties, too. The Byn drop in wisdom is particularly notorious.

the halflings are fucktarded.
If you gaze for long enough into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

www.j03m.com