Halflings, the ninjas of the Known World?

Started by alicedavignon, April 22, 2009, 09:09:47 AM

Very funny Synthesis.

I must ask, though:

Why the FUCK are you comparing Zalanthas to the real world?

Last I checked, we don't have half-giants and short people as wide as they are tall with natural resistances to poisons, nor do we have frail, tall individuals with razor-sharp ears.

Sounds to me like you're cherrypicking.

Again, I'll reiterate: Halflings have pretty decent constitutions for their size. They're not little bitches.

Quote from: Eloran on May 04, 2009, 12:46:42 PM

What else are we going to compare to? Other fake worlds?

Quote from: RogueGunslinger on May 04, 2009, 12:55:46 PM

Lol. If we can rationalize Armageddon theories with real-world understanding of things then it makes the game more believable, it makes it easier to to immerse yourself within without it being jarring.
Quoteemote pees into your eyes deeply

Quote from: Delirium on November 28, 2012, 02:26:33 AM
I don't always act superior... but when I do it's on the forums of a text-based game

Hence why there aren't and massive pink elephants that shoot bubbles from their trunks at you.

Quote from: RogueGunslinger on May 04, 2009, 12:55:46 PM

Ugh. I'd like pound out something about style, theme, gameplay and internal consistency trumping realism... but after that lovely little display of attitude, I don't really want to say anything to support Eloran's case.
Don't be an ass, it doesn't do much to convince anyone or to win support for your argument.
"But I don't want to go among mad people," Alice remarked.

"Oh, you can't help that," said the Cat: "we're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad."

"How do you know I'm mad?" said Alice.

"You must be," said the Cat, "or you wouldn't have come here."

Quote from: RogueGunslinger on May 04, 2009, 01:05:08 PM
Hence why there aren't and massive pink elephants that shoot bubbles from their trunks at you.

I was agreeing with you.

I don't always act superior... but when I do it's on the forums of a text-based game

Internal consistency is fine.

I still have trouble rationalizing an internally consistent world that includes diminutive ninjas who can withstand the same amount of punishment as a being twice their size.

From a gameplay perspective, I imagine it's so that halflings don't simply get one-shotted by various spells and other skills that it would take two shots of to kill almost any other humanoid.

I consider it a non-issue, really.  If a halfling NPC is kicking your ass, you're not as good as you thought you were.  If a halfling PC is kicking your ass, consider it a privilege.
Quote from: WarriorPoet
I play this game to pretend to chop muthafuckaz up with bone swords.
Quote from: SmuzI come to the GDB to roleplay being deep and wise.
Quote from: VanthSynthesis, you scare me a little bit.

May 04, 2009, 01:30:53 PM #32 Last Edit: May 04, 2009, 01:32:49 PM by sarahjc
They way I see it, Halfings are small, fierce, and deadly fast. If you hit a halfling you are probably gonna mess it up pretty bad if you are a human, -if- you hit it. They aren't deadly cause they are strong, they are deadly because the are FAST and you can't hit them and they will most likely tap you to death.  

Are they ninjas.. Maybe. My current PC who is pretty uber has killed only one halfling, and only from a few leagues away. She has been messed up by several halfings. I don't go shortie hunting anymore.
Quote from: jmordetskySarah's TALZEN Makeup Bag–YOU MAY NOT PASS! YOU ARE DEFILED WITH A Y CHROMOSOME, PENIS WIELDER! ATTEMPT AGAIN AND YOU WILL BE STRUCK DEAD!
Quote from: JollyGreenGiant"C'mon, attack me with this raspberry..."

Quote from: Maso on May 04, 2009, 01:07:45 PM
Quote from: RogueGunslinger on May 04, 2009, 01:05:08 PM

I was agreeing with you.

And I was agreeing with myself, as well as you. Which was me just agreeing with myself twice.

Quote from: staggerlee on May 04, 2009, 01:06:12 PM
Ugh. I'd like pound out something about style, theme, gameplay and internal consistency trumping realism... but after that lovely little display of attitude, I don't really want to say anything to support Eloran's case.
Don't be an ass, it doesn't do much to convince anyone or to win support for your argument.

If it makes you feel any better, I don't give a fuck what you think.

I just find it hilarious that in a world where giant turtles can disarm you, giant lizards can one shot you, mullish children claw their way out of their mothers womb and cloaked individuals with dull black gems can turn your insides into liquid shit, someone dare point to halflings and shout:

"OH NOES, MAH IMMURZHUN IST JARRED!"

Best friend forever?

Again, doesn't really bother me.

Especially since the defense nerf, halflings ain't nearly as buff as they used to be.
Quote from: WarriorPoet
I play this game to pretend to chop muthafuckaz up with bone swords.
Quote from: SmuzI come to the GDB to roleplay being deep and wise.
Quote from: VanthSynthesis, you scare me a little bit.

Quote from: Synthesis on May 04, 2009, 02:04:53 PM
Especially since the defense nerf, halflings ain't nearly as buff as they used to be.

Indeed.

I love halflings.

I do not recommend solo encounters with halflings.

:D
Quote from: Twilight on January 22, 2013, 08:17:47 PMGreb - To scavenge, forage, and if Whira is with you, loot the dead.
Grebber - One who grebs.

Quote from: VanthA well-placed grunt can be worth a thousand words.