Technological level of Zalanthas

Started by alicedavignon, April 20, 2009, 08:05:19 PM

April 21, 2009, 04:12:49 PM #25 Last Edit: April 21, 2009, 04:14:43 PM by LoD
I don't believe you can properly equate any historical time period with Zalanthas for many of the reasons stated above, but also because the actual game world is the product of a slow-crawling evolution that has spanned a decade and began as an arbitrary universe thrown together by the hands of children.

As both its members and its staff matured, so did the world -- and it began to shape itself into something that resembled a more logical and conceived world.  That said, it would be nearly impossible to strap Zalanthas with any label that was derived from the natural result of a sophisticated and detailed world such as Earth.  Any moment in Earth's history is infinitely more structured, detailed, and dense than what you would expect to find on Zalanthas.

Can you compare its qualities to other time periods?  Sure, but to what end?  Zalanthas shares qualities with a number of time periods, real and imagined, that span hundreds or even thousands of years.  There are no neat labels or tidy shelves upon which to stack this world, nor are there any sets of rules or standards of measurement that exist on Earth that can be applied.

It's unique, and, thus, the only true unit by which you can measure Zalanthas is itself.

-LoD

This can't be easily translated into our world's level.  The lack of metal and scarcity of resources makes things drastically different, as does complications with the system of government.  On one hand, they are pre-bronze age, on others, they are nearing the renaissance.

There isn't even a common "technological level" in our world to compare it to, considering that technological levels, just like in the game, were varied and over different time periods depending on that regions advancement. I.e. 3300-1200 BC in the Near East, 3100-700 BC in China, 3100-700 BC in Europe, 800-400 BC in Korea. Iron Age, similarly has a spectrum of 1300 BC to 600 AD. Renaissances also occurred at different places at different times.

So to try and compare Zalanthan technological levels to our own is kinda awkward.

And some characters do do this kind of philosophizing and theorizing in game, and some of their findings are quite remarkable.

We've managed humongous city states, veritable mansion on wheels driven by tame creatures larger than a house, a massive sewage system, at least in Allanak's sense, metallurgy, farming (in an arid land), boats that work on silt, heavy mining, written languages of several forms, bookbinding, an advanced system of banking (even if the currency is very simple) and at least three mega-corporations that span the known world.
<Morgenes> Dunno if it's ever been advertised, but we use Runequest as a lot of our inspiration, and that will be continued in Arm 2
<H&H> I can't take that seriously.
<Morgenes> sorry HnH, can't take what seriously?
<H&H>Oh, I read Runescape. Nevermin

LoD makes a great point.  Armageddon is constantly evolving and as more and more players become involved (and mature) the very interpretation of the game changes.  This is a very fun topic to think about and it is something I'd enjoy discussing at the next player's meeting this fall in Portland.  As for my speculation, here goes.

There is evidence of advanced technology in some areas of the game that would equate to Earth periods up to the 15 and 1600's, perhaps further.  Those examples are quite rare and very few players will ever have the chance to see them.  It is also possible that the person(s) who wrote those zones mistakenly put those "examples" into the game without realizing that they are out of place.  I do not believe that though.  Aside from that, there are also high-magick influences in the game.  Magick in general might be used as a tool to create new technologies.  There are also sentient elemental creatures from which few Zalanthans might possibly be able to learn from.

There is no doubt that Zalanthas was more Tolken-esque that it is now in the time before the Dragon arrived.  As we've discussed, there is evidence of rivers and forests, long gone since the world was defiled.  There are and were, obviously, metal tools and weapons until the resources from which they are made became so rare.  But why is this important?

The most advanced civilizations on earth have always been around centers of great resources and trade.  The harsh climate on Zalanthas certainly hinders progress toward natural technological development because the baseline standard of living requires more time and effort be spent on essential tasks, leaving little time for research and development. 

Ultimately my analysis is that Zalanthan technology has been destroyed and forgotten (mostly) since the advent of the Dragon, rebuilt, and then carefully throttled/hoarded by the rich and powerful to result in what we see now.  Furthermore, the level of technology has come to a near standstill because of the environmental and cultural aspects which thwart further development.

Quote from: scienceAn early study by Plaut and Kohn-Speyer (1947)[11] found that horse smegma had a carcinogenic effect on mice. Heins et al.(1958)

Quote from: Sephiroto on April 22, 2009, 01:06:48 AM
The most advanced civilizations on earth have always been around centers of great resources and trade.  The harsh climate on Zalanthas certainly hinders progress toward natural technological development because the baseline standard of living requires more time and effort be spent on essential tasks, leaving little time for research and development. 

I think this is the most interesting point of this thread so far. Would be quite a shock to have magical space marines coming from outside the Known World one day and taking over Tuluk.

The End will not be from the Dragon. The End will come once a bunch of people from beyond the Known World come with swords, steel armor, and the Dragon on a leash.
Quote from: Rahnevyn on March 09, 2009, 03:39:45 PM
Clans can give stat bonuses and penalties, too. The Byn drop in wisdom is particularly notorious.

Quote from: The7DeadlyVenomz on April 20, 2009, 11:04:35 PM
Quote from: BuNutzCola on April 20, 2009, 10:14:22 PM
I'd say Zalanthas is rather quite advanced, but merely hindered from flourishing in the sense of older cultures by the natural environment.
Absolutely agreed.

Quote from: 5 day lifespan on April 21, 2009, 01:10:45 PM
Tech level? Post-apoc.  In fact, I've often thought that Zalanthas was 20th century earth level before the dragon's arrival.  One big nasty defiling dragon and the world just dries up.  Oceans, rainforests... the lot.  I hope one day to have a PC who finds Steinal.  And i hope to find a subway under it.

or the Statue of Liberty.

Raising a fist to the sky while one the ground upon bent knees a man shouts " You Krath dam dirty dragon" as he peers over a fallen half buried metal statue of a woman with a crown and a torch.
The funny little foreign man

I often hear the jingle to -Riunite on ice- when I read the estate name Reynolte, eve though there ain't no ice in Zalanthas.

Quote from: Potaje on April 24, 2009, 03:03:24 PM
Quote from: 5 day lifespan on April 21, 2009, 01:10:45 PM
Tech level? Post-apoc.  In fact, I've often thought that Zalanthas was 20th century earth level before the dragon's arrival.  One big nasty defiling dragon and the world just dries up.  Oceans, rainforests... the lot.  I hope one day to have a PC who finds Steinal.  And i hope to find a subway under it.

or the Statue of Liberty.

Raising a fist to the sky while one the ground upon bent knees a man shouts " You Krath dam dirty dragon" as he peers over a fallen half buried metal statue of a woman with a crown and a torch.

Did you say metal?! *calls the Byn*

I won't attempt to give a comparative era or period - to try and peg down the current technological level of Zalanthas.

However, some would consider the following as the pinnacle of current technology (in different walks of life) on Zalanthas:
Argosies/Wagons
War Chariots
Obsidian Coins
Composite Warbows
Stills
Rope Bridges
Multi-Storey Buildings
Secret doors and tunnels
Explosive materials
Rare antidotes and bandages
Locks, keys, lockpicks
Airtight containers to keep food fresh and cool
Books, scrolls and pages with writing, and writing instruments
Musical Instruments
Tools used by Master Craftsmen
Anything with magickal properties
Anything made from metal

.....just to name a few
The figure in a dark hooded cloak says in rinthi-accented Sirihish, 'Winrothol Tor Fale?'