Wish

Started by Twilight, March 09, 2009, 06:47:49 PM

Would there be any value from the immortal side of things to add modifiers to the wish command?

I was thinking, since the rearrangement of the various clans, something like:

Wish Tor I covet this NPC's shiny steel broadsword.  Make him sell it to me.

The message would then only show to those immortals in charge of that house (or rather, area I guess now), and (possibly/probably) higher level immortals?  I would imagine it would also have something about which clan it was related to, ie:

Someone sends:  {House Tor} I have fallen and cannot get up.  Call EMS!

I don't know, lots of times I feel hesitant to use wish, even in situations that would seem perfectly okay to use it in, because my understanding is it gets distributed to everyone, rather than a subset who would actually be able to answer it.
Evolution ends when stupidity is no longer fatal."

Quote from: Twilight on March 09, 2009, 06:47:49 PM
I don't know, lots of times I feel hesitant to use wish, even in situations that would seem perfectly okay to use it in, because my understanding is it gets distributed to everyone, rather than a subset who would actually be able to answer it.

I can relate to this.
A staff member sends you:
"Normally we don't see a <redacted> walk into a room full of <redacted> and start indiscriminately killing."

You send to staff:
"Welcome to Armageddon."

Quote from: Twilight on March 09, 2009, 06:47:49 PM
I don't know, lots of times I feel hesitant to use wish, even in situations that would seem perfectly okay to use it in...

Me too.  I think less "spam" wishing to staffers that can't do anything about the situation anyway would help everyone, staff and players included.
Quote from: Twilight on January 22, 2013, 08:17:47 PMGreb - To scavenge, forage, and if Whira is with you, loot the dead.
Grebber - One who grebs.

How do you know they wont be able to help you?
Quote from: Cutthroat on September 30, 2008, 10:15:55 PM
> forage artifacts

You find a rusty, armed landmine and pick it up.

Quote from: Delstro on March 09, 2009, 09:47:04 PM
How do you know they wont be able to help you?

Staff are sometimes limited on who can do what for who.
Quote from: Twilight on January 22, 2013, 08:17:47 PMGreb - To scavenge, forage, and if Whira is with you, loot the dead.
Grebber - One who grebs.

This is an odd suggestion.  If the staff have a wish spamming problem, they probably know about it already and thus don't need us to tell them they have a wish spamming problem.     :P

I generally don't worry about it when an invisible immortal is contacting me, and I don't think you should either.

"wish all" seems fine to me.  I like the idea of being able to "wish tor", but I don't think it is an earth-shattering improvement over the current situation.  If your wish is low enough priority to be sent only to the clan Tor imms and you don't care if they're online, then you should be using email anyway.  Wishes are for urgent, real-time issues or coordinating with staff on an appointment you already made via email.

-- X