A New Storyteller's Perspective

Started by Wyx, February 10, 2009, 11:14:19 PM

Thanks for the clarifications, Shaloonsh & Vanth, feel safer knowing that. As if I need an imm's help to die :).

Now that some time has passed, I'd like to jump in this thread myself to do an "after the shock and awe" period.

First and foremost, I can't say enough how incredibly blown away by you, the players, I am still. As a player, the unending depth that countless of you have and continue to put into your PCs was just impossible to see until I came on staff and to say you all totally rocked my world after would be an understatement. Seriously, keep it up, all of you.

Secondly, the "work side": To use some actual numbers/stats, since I came on staff (Over Tuluk, for those of you who haven't read the staff responsibilities page :P about 7 weeks ago) I've had 236 emails to read over/respond to/check info on (or ditch onto Nyr/Mekeda heh) I've approved/rejected 109 character applications, resolved 117 bugs/typos and resolved 59 request tool items. Then, of course, there's the animation hours, documentation reading, object building, room creation, sponsored role calls, noble/templar set-ups, plotline/storyline development, group input on various staff side endeavours, and reports to the HLs on issues/problems/questions/concerns etc...(and I'm underworked compared to everyone else)

And you know what? I can't even bring myself to call it work. I love it. I love reading the reports you guys email, I love seeing the amount of effort placed in special apps in the queue, your care for the game through questions/typo's/bugs/submissions etc..and, of course, I love getting the chance to animate for you all in whatever way I can, because I firmly believe we have the best group of RP'ers to be found on the net, period.

And lastly, in regards to other staff members: Asses, every single last one of them. They only exist to plot out various ways to torture, torment, maim and kill your PCs and they've already begun to brain wash me.

Yeah, obviously I'm joking. Everyone has been awesome in welcoming me onboard, helping me out with problems/questions and generally just being amusing as all hell to work with. I admire these guys and gals I'm working with all the more now that I have a taste of what they've been doing for so long for my (and all of our) enjoyment.

Feel free to fire away with questions or comments and keep up the amazing work, all of you.
Nessalin: At night, I stand there and watch you sleep.  With a hammer in one hand and a candy cane in the other.  Judging.

Wow, it's awesome to hear things like this from staff!

Thanks!

PS:
Why Haven't you posted in my Ask the staff thread yet?   :'(

http://www.zalanthas.org/gdb/index.php/topic,33821.msg414407.html#msg414407
Quote from: Twilight on January 22, 2013, 08:17:47 PMGreb - To scavenge, forage, and if Whira is with you, loot the dead.
Grebber - One who grebs.

Nessalin: At night, I stand there and watch you sleep.  With a hammer in one hand and a candy cane in the other.  Judging.

Quote from: Twilight on January 22, 2013, 08:17:47 PMGreb - To scavenge, forage, and if Whira is with you, loot the dead.
Grebber - One who grebs.

What FW said. I giggled.

What made you want to make the move from player to staffer?
The man asks you:
     "'Bout damn time, lol.  She didn't bang you up too bad, did she?"
The man says, ooc:
     "OG did i jsut do that?"

Quote from: Shalooonsh
I love the players of this game.
That's not a random thought either.

Quote from: tortall on March 12, 2009, 09:26:52 PM
What made you want to make the move from player to staffer?

Because I'm a sucker for punishment? Heh, no - because in all seriousness, I wanted to give back to the game I've been playing for years in some capacity beyond my PCs. Besides, who doesn't love the POWER?  ;)

Was it difficult knowing you'd never get to play a regular character again?

I mean, sure, there's animations, but often you're only animating that character for that day, or maybe a few.

That's part of why I didn't apply... Didn't want to give up my current char. Though from the sounds of the excitement I'm hearing from the new imms, it would likely have been completely worth it.

So, I guess the real question is do you get to animate the same NPC often, or do you jump around a lot?
The man asks you:
     "'Bout damn time, lol.  She didn't bang you up too bad, did she?"
The man says, ooc:
     "OG did i jsut do that?"

Quote from: Shalooonsh
I love the players of this game.
That's not a random thought either.

Just to be clear - staff do get to play their own regular characters. When you join staff you are required to store the character you are currently playing but you are able to make new characters. We do have some limitations around the types of roles a staff member can play (for example we like to keep the sponsored roles open to the playerbase), but in general staff have a lot of options open to them.

"It doesn't matter what country someone's from, or what they look like, or the color of their skin. It doesn't matter what they smell like, or that they spell words slightly differently, some would say more correctly." - Jemaine Clement. FOTC.

So even if their current PC is just an everyday Joe, they have to store?
Grebber - One who grebs.

Quote from: FantasyWriter on March 14, 2009, 03:08:18 PM

Yep.

Quote from: FantasyWriter on March 14, 2009, 03:08:18 PM

Yep. In the past people were allowed to 'grandfather' their current characters, however this presented a number of issues including limiting what clans they can be assigned to, plots suddenly being exposed to a character taking part in them, and so on. Rank or status of the character wasn't as much of an issue as some of these other ones.

To be fair to all we made it an across the board ruling. It does mean that joining staff is something that requires serious consideration for most players, and that's good, we think it should be.  ;)
"It doesn't matter what country someone's from, or what they look like, or the color of their skin. It doesn't matter what they smell like, or that they spell words slightly differently, some would say more correctly." - Jemaine Clement. FOTC.

If your PC runs into someone twinking, or otherwise doing something against game rules, would the process in which you go about punishment change?

Generally, I inform the other staff exactly of what I saw and leave it to them to handle it.

It's also worth noting that that applies to deliberate breaking of game-related rules. If they do something that harms my PC but is within IC bounds, then it's fair game.

Hmm.. with staff who play characters, do they post in the roll calls of the clan forums? :P
Quote from: Rahnevyn on March 09, 2009, 03:39:45 PM
Clans can give stat bonuses and penalties, too. The Byn drop in wisdom is particularly notorious.

Usually, however they usually use another GDB account rather then their staff one.