"Mercy on" rooms

Started by SMuz, January 18, 2009, 09:06:15 PM

Could all the sparring rooms in the game automatically turn on mercy upon entering? I don't really like the idea of accidentally killing a sparring partner because I turned off mercy when going hunting. I suppose it should be fine to turn it off later, if you want a 'sparring accident', just that it should automatically turn on by default when entering the room :P

Also useful since some sergeants forget to tell newbie players to the clan to turn it on and they end up killing someone in the future.
Quote from: Rahnevyn on March 09, 2009, 03:39:45 PM
Clans can give stat bonuses and penalties, too. The Byn drop in wisdom is particularly notorious.

I disagree with this idea because part of fooling the character is fooling the player.
There is no general doctrine which is not capable of eating out our morality if unchecked by the deep-seated habit of direct fellow-feeling with individual fellow-men. -George Eliot

Yeh. I say no.
Wynning since October 25, 2008.

Quote from: Ami on November 23, 2010, 03:40:39 PM
>craft newbie into good player

You accidentally snap newbie into useless pieces.

Discord:The7DeadlyVenomz#3870

I <3 Sparring accidents.  ;D
A staff member sends you:
"Normally we don't see a <redacted> walk into a room full of <redacted> and start indiscriminately killing."

You send to staff:
"Welcome to Armageddon."

Sometimes, the accidents aren't so accidental.

;)
Quote from: LauraMars
Quote from: brytta.leofaLaura, did weird tribal men follow you around at age 15?
If by weird tribal men you mean Christians then yes.

Quote from: Malifaxis
She was teabagging me.

My own mother.

Ah, good point. I just get grateful that it's on when an experienced warrior knocks out a newbie in 2 seconds real-time :P
Clans can give stat bonuses and penalties, too. The Byn drop in wisdom is particularly notorious.

I'd rather have mercy on be defaulted to ON, with new characters.
Much like how 'nosave arrest' is defaulted to ON, with new characters.
New Players Guide: http://gdb.armageddon.org/index.php/topic,33512.0.html

Quote from: Morgenes on April 01, 2011, 10:33:11 PM
You win Armageddon, congratulations!  Type 'credits', then store your character and make a new one

Quote from: mansa on January 18, 2009, 09:50:23 PM

This. It used to be like that. Mercy was default on. It was a good thing. Why did it change?
The man asks you:
     "'Bout damn time, lol.  She didn't bang you up too bad, did she?"
The man says, ooc:
     "OG did i jsut do that?"

Quote from: Shalooonsh
I love the players of this game.
That's not a random thought either.

First-timer hunters starving to death?

Quote from: tortall on January 18, 2009, 11:37:11 PM
Quote from: mansa on January 18, 2009, 09:50:23 PM

This. It used to be like that. Mercy was default on. It was a good thing. Why did it change?

Because Armageddon is a land of Murder, Corruption, and Betrayal. Not a land of "Mercy on".

I think Mercy is pretty silly, actually, but I see why it is in game, for the sake of playability.
"You will have useful work: the destruction of evil men. What work could be more useful? This is Beyond; you will find that your work is never done -- So therefore you may never know a life of peace."

~Jack Vance~

Quote from: Gunnerblaster on January 18, 2009, 09:27:47 PM
Sometimes, the accidents aren't so accidental.

;)
man
/mæn/

-noun

1.   A biped, ungrateful.

Quote from: Reiloth on January 19, 2009, 10:24:28 PM
Because Armageddon is a land of Murder, Corruption, and Betrayal. Not a land of "Mercy on".

I think Mercy is pretty silly, actually, but I see why it is in game, for the sake of playability.

If you're a badass you can still kill someone/something with mercy turned on.

I haven't turned mercy on, even when sparring, since 2005.  That is all.
Quote from: MalifaxisWe need to listen to spawnloser.
Quote from: Reiterationspawnloser knows all

Quote from: SpoonA magicker is kind of like a mousetrap, the fear is the cheese. But this cheese has an AK47.

Quote from: spawnloser on January 28, 2009, 01:36:25 AM
I haven't turned mercy on, even when sparring, since 2005.  That is all.
Doesn't have to be on if you're fighting someone with equal skill, but I've seen cases where a new guy could easily be cut to pieces if it wasn't on. Ever seen a skilled, agile dual-wielding warrior? Hit-miss, hit(reel)-hit, hit(reel)-hit(KO) in no time. Nasty. If that guy went link-dead for a second with mercy off, he'd have an extra kill.