Learning from mistakes

Started by fourTwenty, November 19, 2008, 09:10:06 PM

Okay, since we know the game is based on learning from your mistakes, does it do the same thing for defense.

i.e.
If I get judo-chopped everyday by my buddy will I get better at dodging the judo-chop?

Whether or not I have the judo-chop skill?

Should it work this way?

I think it should if it doesn't but would like to hear others opinions.
Quote from: fourTwenty on June 11, 2007, 08:08:00 PM
Quote from: Rievroleplay damn well(I assume Kazi and fourTwenty are completely different from each other)

Did you just call one of us a dick?

I think it should too. I've felt that it was implemented, but I'm not sure.
Quote from: Rahnevyn on March 09, 2009, 03:39:45 PM
Clans can give stat bonuses and penalties, too. The Byn drop in wisdom is particularly notorious.

Quote from: fourTwenty on November 19, 2008, 09:10:06 PM
Okay, since we know the game is based on learning from your mistakes, does it do the same thing for defense.

i.e.
If I get judo-chopped everyday by my buddy will I get better at dodging the judo-chop?

Should it work this way?

It depends, I suppose. Offense and Defense is something that all characters have, and as the help files state, these will increase regardless of whether or not you have a skill you're getting hit with.

Whether or not you become better at resisting judo-chop is if the code takes your Defense rating into account, which it should. Or if it uses the judo-skill and your stats as the end all, be all. I am almost certain the latter is the case.

Quote from: Clearsighted on November 19, 2008, 09:32:34 PM

i.e.

Should it work this way?

It depends, I suppose. Offense and Defense is something that all characters have, and as the help files state, these will increase regardless of whether or not you have a skill you're getting hit with.

Whether or not you become better at resisting judo-chop is if the code takes your Defense rating into account, which it should. Or if it uses the judo-skill and your stats as the end all, be all. I am almost certain the latter is the case.

I didn't really mean your defense in general. I meant like defense against a specific skill whether you have that skill or not. It just seems like the 100th time I got judo-chopped I'd learn how to dodge it a little better. :)
Quote from: fourTwenty on June 11, 2007, 08:08:00 PM
Quote from: Rievroleplay damn well(I assume Kazi and fourTwenty are completely different from each other)

Did you just call one of us a dick?

Quote from: fourTwenty on November 19, 2008, 09:34:04 PM
Quote from: Clearsighted on November 19, 2008, 09:32:34 PM

i.e.

Should it work this way?

I didn't really mean your defense in general. I meant like defense against a specific skill whether you have that skill or not. It just seems like the 100th time I got judo-chopped I'd learn how to dodge it a little better. :)

Oh, I know. I was just thinking and figured the only way you would get better, is if they factored defense into it, which I'm 99% sure they don't. Without seeing the code, I'm as certain as possible that only having the skill matters, and not having it, you'll never get better at resisting regardless. Of course, some stat like agility usually matters an awful lot too, which then becomes your only (and for all intents and purposes) unchanging defense.

I do know that certain difficult to train skills do give you chance of avoiding that same skill when done to you. But nothing else beyond that.
Now you're looking for the secret. But you won't find it because of course, you're not really looking. You don't really want to work it out. You want to be fooled.

I would believe that its logical to expect that being judo-chopped a lot would probably stir some kind of response to want to avoid being judochopped again.
I tripped and Fale down my stairs. Drink milk and you'll grow Uaptal. I know this guy from the state of Tenneshi. This house will go up Borsail tomorrow. I gave my book to him Nenyuk it back again. I hired this guy golfing to Kadius around for a while.

If you have no coded knowledge of a particular skill, I do not believe it's possible to learn to dodge it.

That being said, I have seen and played rangers with such insane offense that they could kick/disarm now and then. I'm not sure if that has anything to do with blind luck, or if it can actually be attributed to their high offense, though again I'm fairly certain you need to have the skill in question before you learn how to defend against it.

Quote from: Lakota on November 20, 2008, 02:41:56 AM
If you have no coded knowledge of a particular skill, I do not believe it's possible to learn to dodge it.
This is accurate. Thus the development of offense/defense, which can make even a merchant a hard kill.
Wynning since October 25, 2008.

Quote from: Ami on November 23, 2010, 03:40:39 PM
>craft newbie into good player

You accidentally snap newbie into useless pieces.

Discord:The7DeadlyVenomz#3870

Saw a ranger resist and reverse an ability he did not have, from a being many times the ranger's size.

Quote from: Dar on November 21, 2008, 01:47:28 AM
Saw a ranger resist and reverse an ability he did not have, from a being many times the ranger's size.

It is quite possible the ranger did have that ability, through either a spec app or skill granting request.

it is also possible that he was not a ranger. ;)
Quote from: Twilight on January 22, 2013, 08:17:47 PMGreb - To scavenge, forage, and if Whira is with you, loot the dead.
Grebber - One who grebs.

Quote from: Dar on November 21, 2008, 01:47:28 AM
Additionally, the code tends to allow unexpected surprises to happen. You never know that what you think will happen will happen.
Wynning since October 25, 2008.

Quote from: Ami on November 23, 2010, 03:40:39 PM
>craft newbie into good player

You accidentally snap newbie into useless pieces.

Discord:The7DeadlyVenomz#3870

Every once in a blue moon, my character does something in combat that he doesn't have the skill for.  I always get excited and check to see if I've had a surprise branch or something, but nope.

Quote from: Synthesis
Quote from: lordcooper
You go south and one of the other directions that isn't north.  That is seriously the limit of my geographical knowledge of Arm.
Sarge?