Neat little things

Started by fourTwenty, November 16, 2008, 10:14:13 PM

April 19, 2011, 02:13:48 PM #425 Last Edit: April 19, 2011, 07:03:33 PM by Taven
Comprehensive List of Neat Little Things So Far
(Avoid Repeats and Discussion Derails)

• sit with <character name>

• sit on <item that is large enough>

• You can look east (squinting) and it will echo - same for items and a general look

• Look tables - you can use () to echo an emote here, too

• pull quiver - get an arrow from a quiver and wield it in one command

• Light command and extinguish command (useful for strapped glows or a dropped tdesc lantern)

• Pagelength <number> - sets the number of lines the game records to your terminal

• count <keyword> <container>

• key <item> <container> - easily see all the variations on one keyword contained

• light <item> <item> - ex: Light lamp candle

• scan status

• look <character>'s <bodypart> - see a tattoo or other feature

• list <merchant> <keyword> - ex: list ugly.merchant pants would show all the pants the ugly merchant has
  • guard status

• drop (<emote>), ~ <arrangement> - ex: drop bag (wincing as it slips from the edge of ~table) contents spilling out onto the floor, ~ lies on its side beneath a small table.

• Sometimes you can look at things from room mdescs, such as murals

• pour <thing containing water> <location> - this can be done in areas that support plant life and will help it, or on light sources, which has a varying effect

• when you're falling and type up it gives you an extra save but drains stun

• steal 1. <target's> pack - steals the first thing in a target's pack

• put <item> <container> - this works for items you are wearing, no need to remove

• buy <item> <merchant> <race> - ex: buy thong Amos half-giant buys a half-giant sized thong. This only works if the merchant has an unlimited supply.

• The "exit" command always works, even in low light (although it doesn't give specific info and uses 1 point of stamina)

• Arrange object blah blah ~ blah - ex: arrange chest Sitting here pretty, ~ is filled with flowers. Returns: Sitting here pretty, the plain chest is filled with flowers.

• Shake tent - people inside the tent can see when their tent is shook

• "Stand" breaks hide - useful for if you're not sure if you're hiding

• tell <person> (<emote>) <sentence> - You can do this instead of the say command

• The "taste" command and the "sip" command

• Assess -v <person> is a wonderful way to find out a PC's age and build in comparison to yours for role-playing purposes

• For magickers "alias spells skills magick" will make it so that when you type "spells" you get only your magick skills

• The brief command - It simplifies things, of your choice

• The stop command - Stops and gets rid of any commands in the que

• You can rent things to the bank, which will give you a ticket in return. You can take your item out again for a 150 coins

• There's a thread "Coming Soon" that details neat stories about the game

• The "Change Objective" command lets staff know what you are doing (and if you are waiting on an important request, if you set it to that)

• "Help teapot" for everything related to teamaking

• Magickers can do "help spell <spellname>" if they know a spell

• You can arm wrestle in some places - help arm wrestling

• You can use brooms to clean sawdust - "clean room broom"

• "Help cage" tells you the commands for cages (there are a few in Zalanthas)

• For the bards in Tuluk - put <charmname> <instrumentname>

• "get <seat> <table>" and "put <seat> <table>" (When the seat is on the floor) - If you are playing a half-giant, just remove a stool to sit at the bar

• "rent time" lets you know how many days you have left before the lease runs out

• Social emotes, such a "nod," are listed here

• pull branch - you can pull bark from branches, or sometimes logs

• The "flip" command can be helpful, sometimes (vagueness)

• Tdesc - the temporary description command, for wounds, aging without a stat change, and bynner shit all over you

• "behead <unlucky>" - unlucky must be dead first

• The "wiz" command - lists all Armageddon staff, active and retired

• This page tells you what the current staff responsibilities are

• Locdescs - Your PC can get coded scars

• Sometimes bars have "invisible" bar stools in them - you can use "key barstool" to check

• If a tray is too heavy to be held, you can "etwo" it

• Hold staff - For when walking with a staff or cane, and you don't want people mad you're brandishing it

• List song; buy song <#>

• Typing "stand" removes long descriptions

• You can offer to trade an item for another item at a shop - offer <your item> <their item>

• There is a quaff command for potions

• help map zalanthas - this shows you a map of Zalanthas

• If you have a client, you can alias "look all" to all of the look commands, so one command will look all directions

• pour <container> <container 2> - this works with bags and chests, and is very useful for organizing

• There is an "assist" command for combat, to make sure to help your friend with their foe correctly

• For prompts, %s shows your current position, and when fighting will show who you are fighting

• If a weapon is poisoned, you can unpoison it by going "pour waterskin <weapon>"

• You can "beep" players to get their attention, or check if they are linkdead. Use sparingly!

• pack <mount> - checks for things packed to a mount; pack <container> <mount> - packs item to mount (unpacking too); unpack all <mount> - unpack everything with less
    spam

• You can flip a coin by dropping it and typing "flip coin" - you must be standing to do this. You can flip other "coin" objects with them in your inventory.

• With emoting ( ) comes before your action, and [ ] after

• Flip doesn't work in combat, instead use the "use" command

• Semote is a great command for emoting when hidden/invisible, if what you're doing cannot be heard

• "key ." shows every item in the room you can see, including ones not immediately obvious

• "vis" makes you visible (breaking hide and some spells)

• You can use emotes when packing and unpacking a mount

• "skills <type>" shows you only skills of that type - ex: "skills language" shows you only what language skills you have

• Break bottle - If you are holding a bottle, you can use this command to make a weapon

• Count doesn't work if you're wearing an item; you can use the key command to count it in this case (such as with a quiver of arrows)

• To use an incense burner, drop it in the room, put in the incense, and close the burner. Viola!

• You can use the "craft" command on an item in the room to move it to the top of the room list (you do not actually craft it)

• Using "/n" at the end of your prompt skips to a new line (it makes things less spammy)

• You can use "Weather <direction>" to see what the weather is like in that area (such as outside a tent, or outside a tavern)

• "Land" is a helpful command if you aren't...landed.

• The salvage command lets you get things from items (ie, a cloak can be salvages for cloth scraps)

• If you are writing a bio or tdesc the ".x" lets you make a command outside of it. Ex: ".x say SHUDDUP."

• When you sleep with 0 stamina, you can't wake up until you have almost all of it back

• Rebel - This command immediately removes you from your clan

• When Armageddon is being closed for a reboot and there's a staff announcement for you to log out, you can quit out anywhere

• The "plant" command is the opposite of steal and you can try to put things on people (like spice)

• You can use perfume, booze, spice and poop to change your scent

• You can forage spice now (primarily in silty areas, like the silt sea)

• Shuffle deck reset - refills the card deck and restores all cards to the deck

• Discuss - This is a command you can use with npcs. Ex: Discuss bartender topics

• You can eat food not in your inventory

• You can craft with items not in your inventory

• The scribble command - You can draw on things, and they fade over time

• Wear <item> on belt - You can wear pouches and waterskins on your belt

• Closing your cloak makes your belt and the things on it hidden (but they can still be stolen)

• You can "title <mount>" to name your mount, and the name stays until it's in a stable. Useful for RPTs.

• You can use the "addkeyword" command to give yourself an alias. Ex: Addkeyword Amos

I noticed that in the last couple pages we've had a ton of repeats of things that have already been said. Sometimes if it's buried back on page 5, bringing up something again can be good an useful. Sometimes, things get mentioned only a month after there was a derailing discussion of them. This is a comprehensive list of everything in this thread that has already been said. I recommend reading it, there's some neat stuff in here!  :)
As of February 2017, I no longer play Armageddon.

April 20, 2011, 01:29:19 AM #426 Last Edit: April 26, 2011, 01:10:14 PM by maxid
another awesome thing about salvage?  Use it on big stones, and you get small rocks, which can be 'load'ed into slings!

Quote from: maxid on April 20, 2011, 01:29:19 AM
another awesome thing about salvage?  Use it on big stones, and you get get small rocks, which can be 'load'ed into slings!

I'll add this to the list after the thread clears another page, if I remember. Great idea! :)

To interact with objects listed in key ., you can refer to them using the numbers seen.

> key .

In the room:
  1.. - that guy

In Equipment:
  2.. - that thing

In the room:
  3.. - that table

> look 1..

> remove 2..

> sit at 3..
"Brain wave, main wave"
Psycho got a high kick
Collect and select
Show me your best set

Wow.
Quote from: Twilight on January 22, 2013, 08:17:47 PMGreb - To scavenge, forage, and if Whira is with you, loot the dead.
Grebber - One who grebs.

April 28, 2011, 06:40:27 AM #430 Last Edit: April 28, 2011, 06:48:50 AM by NOFUN
First time players having an "N-tag" so I can identify who it's okay to grief and who I'll have to wait a month or two to attempt to grief.

Maybe players playing in a new city for the first time too, I could imagine a first time tuluk PC saying "his shadow" to another tuluki which may or may not cause heavy IC consequence for OOC ignorance.
/人◕ ‿‿ ◕人\
̡͌
    l̡̡̡ ̴̡ı̴̴̡ ̡̡͡|̲̲̲͡͡͡ ̲▫̲͡ ̲̲̲͡͡π̲̲͡͡ ̲̲͡▫̲̲͡͡ ̲|̡̡̡ ̡ ̴̡ı̴̡̡ ̡͌l̡
ノ◕ヮ◕)ノ:・゚ KAWAII WAVE!!:,,ø¤º°¨ ¨°º¤KEEP THE KAWAII GOING ¸,,ø¤º°¨ ¨°º¤øº LETS GO KAWAII !¤¤º°¨¨°º¤øº¤ø,,¸¸ø¤º°¨,, ø¤º°¨¨°º

Quote from: NOFUN on April 28, 2011, 06:40:27 AM
First time players having an "N-tag" so I can identify who it's okay to grief and who I'll have to wait a month or two to attempt to grief.

Is this already in the game? How do you spot it?
Quote from: Rahnevyn on March 09, 2009, 03:39:45 PM
Clans can give stat bonuses and penalties, too. The Byn drop in wisdom is particularly notorious.

Quote from: SMuz on April 28, 2011, 06:46:48 AM

Is this already in the game? How do you spot it?

Er, I just realized this isn't the tiny code wants thread.
/人◕ ‿‿ ◕人\
̡͌
    l̡̡̡ ̴̡ı̴̴̡ ̡̡͡|̲̲̲͡͡͡ ̲▫̲͡ ̲̲̲͡͡π̲̲͡͡ ̲̲͡▫̲̲͡͡ ̲|̡̡̡ ̡ ̴̡ı̴̡̡ ̡͌l̡
ノ◕ヮ◕)ノ:・゚ KAWAII WAVE!!:,,ø¤º°¨ ¨°º¤KEEP THE KAWAII GOING ¸,,ø¤º°¨ ¨°º¤øº LETS GO KAWAII !¤¤º°¨¨°º¤øº¤ø,,¸¸ø¤º°¨,, ø¤º°¨¨°º

Ah, I heard from some of my other friends new at Arm that there was such a tag. Or maybe I'm confusing it with another RPI.
Quote from: Rahnevyn on March 09, 2009, 03:39:45 PM
Clans can give stat bonuses and penalties, too. The Byn drop in wisdom is particularly notorious.

If you are wearing a shirt with a hood, and a cloak with a hood, you can lower (cloak) then lower (shirt).  I never would have figured this out.

Chalton leather boots are the N-tag you speak of.
"Brain wave, main wave"
Psycho got a high kick
Collect and select
Show me your best set

I want to say starter gear but it can be very misleading.
Quote from: Qzzrbl
THAT MAN IS DEHYDRATING!

QUICK! GIMME A BANDAGE!!

Quote from: Cindy42 on April 28, 2011, 07:16:29 PM
I want to say starter gear but it can be very misleading.
Tuluk - Pretty difficult to pick out whose a "new" character.

As for Luirs and Allanak - Pretty easy.

Red Storm - Everyone looks the same, anyways.
Quote from: LauraMars
Quote from: brytta.leofaLaura, did weird tribal men follow you around at age 15?
If by weird tribal men you mean Christians then yes.

Quote from: Malifaxis
She was teabagging me.

My own mother.

Quote from: Gunnerblaster on April 28, 2011, 07:51:19 PM

That's racist.
Rickey's Law: People don't want "A story". They want their story.

Multiple keywords. For those RPTs with several PCs and similar keywords. ;)

nod tall.muscular.man.amos

look grey.eyed.woman (sharply)

tell green.haired.elf Watch it elf!

draw bone.longsword

Quote from: Jdr on April 29, 2011, 08:03:51 PM
Quote from: Gunnerblaster on April 28, 2011, 07:51:19 PM

That's racist.
That's why I play ARM.
Quote from: LauraMars
Quote from: brytta.leofaLaura, did weird tribal men follow you around at age 15?
If by weird tribal men you mean Christians then yes.

Quote from: Malifaxis
She was teabagging me.

My own mother.

Quote from: Rhyden on April 29, 2011, 08:50:03 PM
Multiple keywords. For those RPTs with several PCs and similar keywords. ;)

nod tall.muscular.man.amos

look grey.eyed.woman (sharply)

tell green.haired.elf Watch it elf!

draw bone.longsword

Made me laugh at a rinthi scene in my head:

A dark alley [N, S]
   Some description
The figure in a dark, hooded cloak is here.

In a rushed voice, the figure in a dark, hooded cloak whispers to you, in rinthi-accented sirihish:
   "Hurry up and stab him."

> backstab dark.hooded
"Brain wave, main wave"
Psycho got a high kick
Collect and select
Show me your best set

Maybe players playing in a new city for the first time too, I could imagine a first time tuluk PC saying "his shadow" to another tuluki which may or may not cause heavy IC consequence for OOC ignorance.

Sometimes, for your convenience, the newbies also make it really, really easy to tell that they are newbies from a staggering, unsurvivable ignorance of Arm code. Its the semi-newbies that getcha.
THAT MAN IS DEHYDRATING!

QUICK! GIMME A BANDAGE!!

I don't know if this is in the list, but I noticed lately you can now: raise hood (to hide ^me face) and it will echo! This works on lowering hoods too.

Quote from: Whiran Luck on May 13, 2011, 09:36:25 PM
I don't know if this is in the list, but I noticed lately you can now: raise hood (to hide ^me face) and it will echo! This works on lowering hoods too.

You can also raise (lifting it up with a sudden jerk) hood (covering all but ^me chin).

Quote from: maxid on May 14, 2011, 01:25:36 AM
Quote from: Whiran Luck on May 13, 2011, 09:36:25 PM

You can also raise (lifting it up with a sudden jerk) hood (covering all but ^me chin).

raise hood (lifting it up with a sudden jerk) [covering all but ^me chin]
QuoteSunshine all the time makes a desert.
Vote at TMS
Vote at TMC

Having clothes on when you begin play.

Seriously, I appreciate that.
THAT MAN IS DEHYDRATING!

QUICK! GIMME A BANDAGE!!

Quote from: Cindy42 on May 18, 2011, 07:24:22 PM
Having clothes on when you begin play.

Seriously, I appreciate that.

This thread is more about neat things about code that people may not have known about. Everybody knows that you start with clothes and it's not really code-specific. Maybe if you posted in Random Armageddon thoughts instead?  :)

May 18, 2011, 07:37:42 PM #448 Last Edit: May 18, 2011, 07:53:47 PM by Cindy42
edited.
THAT MAN IS DEHYDRATING!

QUICK! GIMME A BANDAGE!!

That sounds like it gets dangerously close to IC, and again, it's not a code thing. What we're really looking for is specific neat things about code. It might help you to look over the list, to get an idea and find some examples.  :)