Neat little things

Started by fourTwenty, November 16, 2008, 10:14:13 PM

I do it all the time, as well.

Quote from: Marauder Moe on January 27, 2011, 11:18:17 AM
Why is that bad?
Quote from: Dalmeth
I've come to the conclusion that relaxing is not the lack of doing anything, but doing something that comes easily to you.

brief combat. best command of all time

i want to suggest a commaned that is the opposite of steal; something you slip onto someone else. "slip" doesn't seem to work when its slipping something onto someone else.

i also want to suggest more housing in each apartment, or more apartments. every apartment complex i seem to look at appears to be full or close to. having four more rooms in each apartment would be pretty awesome; it shows how crowded cities are, and gives small places like Red Storm a few more rooms. i also like the variety present in different rooms and in different apartment complexes.
Quote from: i can haz mantis on January 02, 2011, 03:10:53 PM
Quote from: Sam on January 02, 2011, 09:26:07 AM
Help Buy

Alternatively, you can submit 2 additional arguments to the buy command,
and purchase an item that adheres to the 'normal' racial sizing of a race
of your choice.

Syntax:
   buy <item>
   buy <item> <merchant> <race>

That is -so- cool! I didn't know you could have it presized! Yay! Now I can buy my halfling friends presents that fit!

seriously?

this works? i always see that I get something like, "This item is too small for you to wear" or something, so i never thought there would be a rule like this. is there for only some merchants or something?
Quote from: Qzzrbl
THAT MAN IS DEHYDRATING!

QUICK! GIMME A BANDAGE!!

You want an opposite of 'steal'?  Already exists.  It's called 'plant' and uses the 'steal' skill to determine success/failure.

Staff have pretty much said they think the apartments, or rather number of them, is right where they want it.

For these things, I think you were looking for the Random Tiny Wants thread.  This is for highlighting neat things that already exist.
"I am a cipher, wrapped in an enigma, smothered in secret sauce."
- Jimmy James, the man so great they had to name him twice

Quote from: Marshmellow on February 07, 2011, 05:00:49 AM
You want an opposite of 'steal'?  Already exists.  It's called 'plant' and uses the 'steal' skill to determine success/failure.

Staff have pretty much said they think the apartments, or rather number of them, is right where they want it.

For these things, I think you were looking for the Random Tiny Wants thread.  This is for highlighting neat things that already exist.

aw crap.

yeah, thanks.
THAT MAN IS DEHYDRATING!

QUICK! GIMME A BANDAGE!!

You're welcome. :)

Why is that bad?

Because to me, it's like your character isn't even looking in there, I consider the 'key' command to be an OOC command over the 'look' command.
"Brain wave, main wave"
Psycho got a high kick
Collect and select
Show me your best set

Quote from: Cindy42 on February 07, 2011, 06:36:15 AM
Quote from: Marshmellow on February 07, 2011, 05:00:49 AM

aw crap.

yeah, thanks.

Reading help files and the little things at the bottom which lead to related and relevant skills helps a lot.
The funny little foreign man

I often hear the jingle to -Riunite on ice- when I read the estate name Reynolte, eve though there ain't no ice in Zalanthas.

Quote from: Reiteration on February 07, 2011, 02:10:21 PM
Why is that bad?

Because to me, it's like your character isn't even looking in there, I consider the 'key' command to be an OOC command over the 'look' command.

Your character sees everything in the room (that is openly visible). Key helps you, the player, parse the text the game throws at you and figure out what exactly it is your PC can see.

Quote from: Marauder Moe on January 27, 2011, 11:18:17 AMWhy is that bad?
Okay, but look doesn't echo when you look into a container unless you take the time to add an emote to it, so you wouldn't see it anyway.

And to put another spin on it, I once sent in a question regarding the keyword command. I had discovered that it gives unexpected observational powers on sandy nights. You know, the nights where you can't see a thing; sand swirls around you. You can still get a list of shapes to target if you use the keyword command, though look is useless. I was told: "This is on purpose.  Really bad storms are not supposed to be the same as complete darkness."

In my opinion, that implies that keyword is just another facet of your character's ability to make sense of their surroundings. Perfectly IC, and perfectly acceptable.

To me, keyword feels like using the minimap in a dungeon crawl.  Its more rewarding to stumble round and find the loot the hard way, but, in the end , I still use it.

February 08, 2011, 09:21:18 PM #363 Last Edit: February 08, 2011, 09:24:17 PM by Reiteration
Quote from: Marshmellow on February 08, 2011, 04:38:43 AM
Okay, but look doesn't echo when you look into a container unless you take the time to add an emote to it, so you wouldn't see it anyway.

It is capable of echo though.

look in chest (dropping to ^me knees and rummaging inside)

Quote from: Feco on January 27, 2011, 09:51:08 AM
Quote from: Pale Horse on January 27, 2011, 08:47:20 AM
Quote from: shadeoux on January 26, 2011, 09:52:28 PM
key .

best command ever.
don't forget the period

Totally.

I use key . container or key keyword container more often than I use look in container.

take item chest (sticking his arm in blindly and magically pulling out what he wants)
"Brain wave, main wave"
Psycho got a high kick
Collect and select
Show me your best set

Quote from: Reiteration on February 08, 2011, 09:21:18 PM
Quote from: Marshmellow on February 08, 2011, 04:38:43 AM

It is capable of echo though.

look in chest (dropping to ^me knees and rummaging inside)

Quote from: Feco on January 27, 2011, 09:51:08 AM
Quote from: Pale Horse on January 27, 2011, 08:47:20 AM
Quote from: shadeoux on January 26, 2011, 09:52:28 PM
key .

best command ever.
don't forget the period

Totally.

I use key . container or key keyword container more often than I use look in container.

take item chest (sticking his arm in blindly and magically pulling out what he wants)

Someone using key is also capable of adding an emote afterward, and still getting everything they got from look in a form they prefer.
QuoteSunshine all the time makes a desert.
Vote at TMS
Vote at TMC

Using the command isn't twinky because it is to give you, the player information.  Since look doesn't default to giving a message, using keyword is no twinkier.  As pointed out, you are also capable of typing an emote in addition to using the keyword command, so what's the problem?

Quote from: tortall on December 25, 2009, 10:03:21 PM
"key ."

Shows you EVERYTHING lookable in the room. Found a painting in the tavern in Freils that I never knew what there before.

Getting an OOC list of everything in the room is why I don't use that command, it breaks immersion for me when I can find stuff I would have otherwise overlooked or if the object was hidden in some method. So yes, I do consider it twinky IMO.
"Brain wave, main wave"
Psycho got a high kick
Collect and select
Show me your best set

Quote from: Reiteration on February 09, 2011, 10:21:58 AM
"key ."

Shows you EVERYTHING lookable in the room. Found a painting in the tavern in Freils that I never knew what there before.

Getting an OOC list of everything in the room is why I don't use that command, it breaks immersion for me when I can find stuff I would have otherwise overlooked or if the object was hidden in some method. So yes, I do consider it twinky IMO.

Then the opposite is true as well:  maybe your PC would be observant enough to pick up on everything even if the player wouldn't normally except when using a list.   ;)
"The Highlord casts a shadow because he does not want to see skin!" -- Boog

<this space for rent>

Quote from: My 2 sids on February 09, 2011, 10:28:11 AM
Quote from: Reiteration on February 09, 2011, 10:21:58 AM
"key ."

Then the opposite is true as well:  maybe your PC would be observant enough to pick up on everything even if the player wouldn't normally except when using a list.   ;)

That depends if your PC usually sees:

On a long, stone bar:
    A few tall, stone mugs

or

1. a tall, stone mug
2. a tall, stone mug
3. a tall, stone mug
4. a tall, stone mug
"Brain wave, main wave"
Psycho got a high kick
Collect and select
Show me your best set

don't use keyword.

that weird feeling i get for getting an extra OOC help for a situation i don't need and/or shouldn't be getting computer OOC help in breaks my immersions.

my character is not omnipotent, nor are most of my characters perceptive. i consider this a perceptive command and therefore can't use it.
THAT MAN IS DEHYDRATING!

QUICK! GIMME A BANDAGE!!

You don't always get how cluttered a room is until you key . it.

But anyway, I don't feel twinky doing it, I still use count command if I need to count how much I have of something, and I don't "key ." every five seconds to remain omnipotent.

Sorry?   Eh, not really.

On that note, has count been mentioned?

Syntax:
   count <keyword>
   count <keyword> <container>
   count <keyword> room

Handy.
QuoteSunshine all the time makes a desert.
Vote at TMS
Vote at TMC

oh no, not really. key's fine. it just isn't for me.

i only use key when i craft and get confused about not having something i need.

which is four times total, i think
THAT MAN IS DEHYDRATING!

QUICK! GIMME A BANDAGE!!

Quote from: Feco on February 09, 2011, 08:37:51 PM
You don't always get how cluttered a room is until you key . it.

But anyway, I don't feel twinky doing it, I still use count command if I need to count how much I have of something, and I don't "key ." every five seconds to remain omnipotent.

Sorry?   Eh, not really.

On that note, has count been mentioned?

Syntax:
  count <keyword>
  count <keyword> <container>
  count <keyword> room

Handy.

I'm fine with key in general as a utility command, but I don't really like the sound of people claiming they use it more than the look command.
"Brain wave, main wave"
Psycho got a high kick
Collect and select
Show me your best set

The <key .> discussion has ran on long enough, please take it to another thread and move this one back on topic before it gets locked and we loose a very valuable tool for noobs and veterans alike.
Quote from: Twilight on January 22, 2013, 08:17:47 PMGreb - To scavenge, forage, and if Whira is with you, loot the dead.
Grebber - One who grebs.