Neat little things

Started by fourTwenty, November 16, 2008, 10:14:13 PM

I would like some people to post neat little tips and tricks, or things they've just discovered. Of course do not divulge any IC info, but things like.

I didn't know you could <sit with person>

Somebody suggested (sorry I can't find the post/am to lazy to look for it) you can <sit on trunk>s and other items that are large enough.

<keyword figure> I've known the keyword command for a while now but I didn't know it for a long time and it kicks lots of ass.
Quote from: fourTwenty on June 11, 2007, 08:08:00 PM
Quote from: Rievroleplay damn well(I assume Kazi and fourTwenty are completely different from each other)

Did you just call one of us a dick?

You can sit on footlockers that are hard-coded into a room as they are usually big enough.

You can look east (squinting) and it will echo.
Same with look <item> (emote), or look in <item> (emote).
(Gimf posted this I think, the last time I saw it, it is very useful).

You can also look tables (cool thing) and it will echo.

How about this, that I never really used, or could figure out HOW to use...

look <person>'s [item]

Such as, look halaster's sword

I mean, maybe you all knew about it, but I sure as hell didn't.
Quote from: IAmJacksOpinion on May 20, 2013, 11:16:52 PM
Masks are the Armageddon equivalent of Ed Hardy shirts.

These are great.

I didn't know you could cause look to echo like that.

And while I did know about the look person's item thing it's a great command and right in line with what I was hoping to see. I'm sure there's somebody going. "Damn, I can actually look at somebody's cloak!"

Also, unless I'm mistaken. Looking at someones item, i.e. <look dudeman's cloak> doesn't echo that your looking at their cloak. Great for subtly figuring out houses and stuff.

Keep'em comin'!
Quote from: fourTwenty on June 11, 2007, 08:08:00 PM
Quote from: Rievroleplay damn well(I assume Kazi and fourTwenty are completely different from each other)

Did you just call one of us a dick?

look mug bar
roll dice table
keyword locker
keyword footlocker
look in closet (A suprising amount of places have closets.)
Quote from: Cutthroat on September 30, 2008, 10:15:55 PM
> forage artifacts

You find a rusty, armed landmine and pick it up.

There are usually hiddens racks, benches, lockers, chests, tables, beds and cots.. Among other things in various rooms. Sometimes with little or easily overlooked hints in the main description.
Modern concepts of fair trials and justice are simply nonexistent in Zalanthas. If you are accused, you are guilty until someone important decides you might be useful. It doesn't really matter if you did it or not.

pull quiver

This is the one that gave me the most satisfaction when I found out it existed on the game.
Quote from: MorgenesYa..what Bushranger said...that's the ticket.

You can light and extinguish lamps or other light sources that are in the room using (you guessed it) the light and extinguish commands.

This means that you can make a nice drop desc on a lantern and not have to muss it up in order to light or snuff out the lantern.
Quote from: J S BachIf it ain't baroque, don't fix it.

The only thing I wish you could do was light a light-source in the room if it's pitch dark.

>l
It is pitch black. You are likely to be eaten by a grue.
>light lantern
You do not see that here.
>think Fuck.
You think:
     "Fuck."

Quote from: Bushranger on November 17, 2008, 12:15:22 AM
pull quiver
I did not know that! Thanks!  ;D
Quote from: Rahnevyn on March 09, 2009, 03:39:45 PM
Clans can give stat bonuses and penalties, too. The Byn drop in wisdom is particularly notorious.

count <keyword> <container>

AWESOME.
Quote from: scienceAn early study by Plaut and Kohn-Speyer (1947)[11] found that horse smegma had a carcinogenic effect on mice. Heins et al.(1958)

>key <item> <container>

ie: >key feather 2.chest

In a large, agafari chest:

1. a white feather
2. a white feather
3. a black feather
4. a red feather
5. a red feather
6. a red feather

Then, you just pick out the one you want, (get 3.feather 2.chest) very nice.

November 17, 2008, 08:11:19 AM #13 Last Edit: November 17, 2008, 08:12:56 AM by Lizzie
Here's a tip that confounded me for weeks, and still trips me up sometimes when I'm overloaded with bags...

You're carrying 3 large bags. You want to condense that down to one. The bags have the same sdesc, because other than their contents, they're identical. Problem is, every time you do something with one of the bags, it keeps moving up to the top of the "inventory" list. So here's what I do:

l in bag
this bag has just some feathers in it.
l in 2.bag
this bag has just some shards of agate in it.
l in 3.bag
this bag has feathers and shards of agate in it.

get feather bag
get feather bag
(repeat til your hands are full)
put feather 3.bag
put feather bag
put feather bag (til your hands are empty)

get shard 3.bag
get shard bag
get shard bag
put shard 2.bag
put shard bag

etc. etc.

Things move in numerical order, so when "bag of feathers" was 1 on the list, and you put your hands into 2.bag to get a feather, the "bag of feathers" became 2.bag and the bag of feathers and shards became 1.bag. Then, when you put your hand in 3.bag, which hadn't moved at all and had the shards of agate in it, THAT bag became 1.bag. And the bag of feathers and shards dropped down to #2, and the bag of just feathers became bag #3.

Very frustrating when you mix them up, but remembering how they get ordered, and remembering that every time you put something in or take something out, it shifts the list, is helpful.
Talia said: Notice to all: Do not mess with Lizzie's GDB. She will cut you.
Delirium said: Notice to all: do not mess with Lizzie's soap. She will cut you.

Or better.....

>hold bag

So let's assume you have two bags, you want to pour the first into the second...

>hold bag
>get x 2.bag;put x bag
repeat, then type 'rs' to remove the bag.
Q  : Where do you piss?
Yam: On elves.
Q  : And if the area, lacks elves at the given time?
Yam: Scan.

Quote from: Medena on November 17, 2008, 01:36:40 AM
You can light and extinguish lamps or other light sources that are in the room using (you guessed it) the light and extinguish commands.

This means that you can make a nice drop desc on a lantern and not have to muss it up in order to light or snuff out the lantern.

Note you can also light a light source from another one.  So if there's a lamp in the room and you're holding a lit candle you can do:

> light lamp candle
You hold a lit long, pallid taper to an unlit battered tin lamp's wick and flames burst forth from it.

This should only work where it makes sense, but it's a nice environmental echo, if nothing else.
Morgenes

Producer
Armageddon Staff

The command "scan status" (which is not mentioned in 'help scan') works like "listen status" (which is mentioned in 'help listen').

Quote from: Cutthroat on November 17, 2008, 02:15:33 PM
The command "scan status" (which is not mentioned in 'help scan') works like "listen status" (which is mentioned in 'help listen').

Updated helpfile.
Morgenes

Producer
Armageddon Staff

look <character>'s <bodypart>

To see tattoo/scar descriptions

I tripped and Fale down my stairs. Drink milk and you'll grow Uaptal. I know this guy from the state of Tenneshi. This house will go up Borsail tomorrow. I gave my book to him Nenyuk it back again. I hired this guy golfing to Kadius around for a while.

If you're at a merchant NPC, and want to only see a list of certain types of things, you can!

list merchant black
(to see a list of things that have black as a keyword)

list merchant pants
(to see all the things called "pants" the merchant has - trousers would be a different thing, so are leggings)
Talia said: Notice to all: Do not mess with Lizzie's GDB. She will cut you.
Delirium said: Notice to all: do not mess with Lizzie's soap. She will cut you.

Quote from: Lizzie on November 17, 2008, 08:11:02 PM
If you're at a merchant NPC, and want to only see a list of certain types of things, you can!

list merchant black
(to see a list of things that have black as a keyword)

list merchant pants
(to see all the things called "pants" the merchant has - trousers would be a different thing, so are leggings)

That's pretty spiffy.
Quote from: Marauder Moe
Oh my god he's still rocking the sandwich.

Quote from: Morgenes on November 17, 2008, 02:20:47 PM

Updated helpfile.

Guard Status
or
Guard S
gives you the status, just like scan status and listen status. It isn't mentioned in the helpfile though.
Quote from: Cutthroat on September 30, 2008, 10:15:55 PM
> forage artifacts

You find a rusty, armed landmine and pick it up.

Quote from: Delstro on November 17, 2008, 08:45:12 PM
Quote from: Morgenes on November 17, 2008, 02:20:47 PM

Updated helpfile.

Guard Status
or
Guard S
gives you the status, just like scan status and listen status. It isn't mentioned in the helpfile though.

Fixed
Morgenes

Producer
Armageddon Staff

BUMP:

drop bag (wincing as it slips from the edge of ~table) contents spilling out onto the floor, ~ lies on its side beneath a small table.

Wincing as it slips from the edge of a small table, you drop your large bag.
Shown to the room as:
Contents spilling out onto the floor, a large bag lies on its side beneath a small table.

Oh, and so long as it's a save room it will retain the sdesc until you pick it up.
Quote from: scienceAn early study by Plaut and Kohn-Speyer (1947)[11] found that horse smegma had a carcinogenic effect on mice. Heins et al.(1958)