Mundane vs Magick

Started by fourTwenty, October 29, 2008, 05:52:35 PM

This whole thread is a tl;dr for me, but I will say this:

I have actually received player kudos before, for my portrayal of fear of magick. While the death itself I think could have had -real- RP to it, and I find the class that did it to be attractive to those that want a quick kill, I try to RP the best I can...

Run away one room and shout. Emote struggling against a subdue or a magick spell... anything. I did it when I was PLAYING a magick character too. Fear of death runs through my brain, and into my fingers. If I think I am going to die, I might as well make it entertaining. My character may have died 4 hours in because someone was bored, but damned if I didn't make a scene.
Quote from: IAmJacksOpinion on May 20, 2013, 11:16:52 PM
Masks are the Armageddon equivalent of Ed Hardy shirts.

You shouldn't log in and play when you're bored. That usually ends in your character dying.
Quote from: Fnord on November 27, 2010, 01:55:19 PM
May the fap be with you, always. ;D

Quote from: jhunter on October 30, 2008, 09:52:22 AM
You shouldn't log in and play when you're bored. That usually ends in your character dying.

Same goes for when tired and/or drunk.

R.I.P my characters who have died from these things!

Bushranger
Quote from: MorgenesYa..what Bushranger said...that's the ticket.

The loss of a good character due to RL drunkeness is the shits. I still think about that and get bummed.

Friends don't let friends spamwalk their Arm characters while drunk.
Quote from: Fnord on November 27, 2010, 01:55:19 PM
May the fap be with you, always. ;D

Quote from: Rahnevyn on October 30, 2008, 02:10:03 AM
*twitch*

I had a PC who used to *twitch* right before he smashed in someone's face for pissing him off...

Something tells me this is not a good sign for this thread and its vitality.

I'm just saying...
Quote from: James de Monet on April 09, 2015, 01:54:57 AM
My phone now autocorrects "damn" to Dman.
Quote from: deathkamon on November 14, 2015, 12:29:56 AM
The young daughter has been filled.

Quote from: fourTwenty on October 29, 2008, 05:52:35 PMIdeas to make it more balanced.

Take your number of sorc's currently in game, make that the limit for magickers currently active in the game.
Take your number of immortals currently visible during the day, and make that the limit for sorc's

Problem solved.
"rogues do it from behind"
Quote[19:40] FightClub: tremendous sandstorm i can't move.
[19:40] Clearsighted: Good
[19:41] Clearsighted: Tremendous sandstorms are gods way of saving the mud from you.

As Nyr stated on page 1 (The only page I read in yet another long magicker thread), this has been an issue for a long time, and there has been plenty of discussion on it.  Yet another thread is unlikely to do anything about it.

However, I will state that I have one glaring disagreement...the classes should not be balanced.  At all.  Turn this into a PvP game and you take away the very essence of it.  This is not about whether or not you're able to kill that guy or that guy with this strat or that strat.  This is not WoW.  This is not a balanced game.  This is a role-playing game, and those classes fit into it the way they are supposed to...they give your character a skillset that fits their role.  I'm sorry that your merchant can't fight that warrior.  But that is not his role.  Likewise, I'm sorry your warrior can get bullied by a powerful magicker.  But taking down magickers is not his role.  Not unless he becomes extremely good at it through experience and luck.

My qualm that has been stated about it for quite some time has been that this issue is not the fault of documentation, classes, power of spells, or anything else.  It is the issue that people have sidled past documentation in order to treat magickers as something different than the way documentation says they should be.  My long-time point of view has been that mages, as far as 'pvp' goes...are of course powerful.  They have magick, for heaven's sake, that's a huge advantage.  The disadvantage is that rogue magickers are generally hunted down by those who -are- equipped to take down magickers, whether it be from powers given to them by someone more powerful, from a mob mentality and strength in numbers, or sheer experience and cleverness in setting traps and disabling those who could cause them serious harm.  When living within the city and not a rogue magicker, the disadvantage has always been that they were not going to play a socially powerful character.  They would be the scum of the sands, used as a tool, and given no leverage over the average commoner simply because they are 'useful'.  Those lines got blurred at some point, and it made them much easier to gain social power with, as well as economic and straight kickass power.

But again, that is not their fault.  It's not the immortals' fault.  It's not the code's fault.  It's the fault of players who decided that fuzzy group hugs with magickers was okay because this was only a game and they like that character, even if their own character should generally not even give them the chance to be liked.

Broad generalizations abound, vague answers, so on and so forth.  But that's my take.  And keep in mind that I haven't played the game in several months, and am not aware of the general 'mood' of things.  But the opening of the thread sounded remarkably similar.  So to reiterate...balance?  Keep that to the hack'n slash games, please.
She wasn't doing a thing that I could see, except standing there leaning on the balcony railing, holding the universe together. --J.D. Salinger