Do you celebrate char. birthdays?

Started by amish overlord, October 19, 2008, 12:47:20 AM

October 19, 2008, 12:47:20 AM Last Edit: October 19, 2008, 12:49:00 AM by amish overlord
Curious have you ever observed your own or another characters birthday? Would this be an event and celebrated by people in zalthanas or think be seen as just another day. Just curious. Have you noticed any customs IG concerning birthdays? Probably not as big as our RL ones. But know some tribes have coming of age ceremonies, what about after or even in the cities. I never really observed them.

Amish Overlord  8)

Edit: Just realized meant to post in ask player. Sorry moving to there.
i hao I am a sid and karma farmer! Send PM for details!

October 19, 2008, 12:48:37 AM #1 Last Edit: October 19, 2008, 12:54:46 AM by tortall
I heard there was a big one in the north for a templar. Sometimes nobles make a big deal ot of it. Most people don't notice.

Edit: So, after I posted this I went back to the main page and it said there was a new post here. I came to this thread again, and my post was gone! I was like, BUR?! Nothing here that's ic at all. I dunno how that happened.
The man asks you:
     "'Bout damn time, lol.  She didn't bang you up too bad, did she?"
The man says, ooc:
     "OG did i jsut do that?"

Quote from: Shalooonsh
I love the players of this game.
That's not a random thought either.

Every one of my character(that's survived that long) Has drank themselves to silly on their birthday. Even if no one else knew.

Fuck, I drank with them.

Yes, totally! I often forget to do it for my own PC but I have attended quite a few birthdays for other PCs, and most of them were commoners.

The neat thing about birthdays in Arm is that no one has calendars, so you can pretty much just ballpark it for a certain month and then party whenever it's convenient.

I generally assumed that most poorer people in Zalanthas don't follow a very elaborate or well tracked calendar, and probably don't know exactly how old they are, let alone when they're born. I think it adds a nice grungy touch to the character.

More educated characters probably do have some way of keeping track of such, the time command and time line on the webpage certainly imply there's a well established and complex method of tracking the passage of time.  I'd definitely see the leisure classes knowing those things, and possibly celebrating. 

That's just my take on it though.
"But I don't want to go among mad people," Alice remarked.

"Oh, you can't help that," said the Cat: "we're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad."

"How do you know I'm mad?" said Alice.

"You must be," said the Cat, "or you wouldn't have come here."

My characters follow jstorrie's example.

I had a bard who was afraid of getting drunk on his birthday, because every time he did, he lost his pants.
"You will have useful work: the destruction of evil men. What work could be more useful? This is Beyond; you will find that your work is never done -- So therefore you may never know a life of peace."

~Jack Vance~

Go read the one in Ask the Players.

There being two makes my head hurt!!
The man asks you:
     "'Bout damn time, lol.  She didn't bang you up too bad, did she?"
The man says, ooc:
     "OG did i jsut do that?"

Quote from: Shalooonsh
I love the players of this game.
That's not a random thought either.

Never had one while I was on. I havn't figured this question out yet.
Quote from: Cutthroat on September 30, 2008, 10:15:55 PM
> forage artifacts

You find a rusty, armed landmine and pick it up.

Entirely depends on the character. 

(add) When my characters DO celebrate birthdays, it is always the birthday 'season' or month, rather than the specific day.  Unless the character being celebrated reminds them anal-retentively.
"Last night a moth came to my bed
and filled my tired weary head
with horrid tales of you, I can't believe it's true.
But then the lampshade smiled at me -
It said believe, it said believe.
I want you to know it's nothing personal."

The Chosen

I think unless you are nobility, celebrating your birthday IG is stupid.

People do not have access to calendars.  Each month is over two hundred days.  Most of your regular people are not going to keep up with this.  And why would they?

Quote from: Bebop on October 20, 2008, 08:43:25 PM
I think unless you are nobility, celebrating your birthday IG is stupid.

People do not have access to calendars.  Each month is over two hundred days.  Most of your regular people are not going to keep up with this.  And why would they?

To lower their kank insurance when they turn 25, of course.
Quote from: Twilight on January 22, 2013, 08:17:47 PMGreb - To scavenge, forage, and if Whira is with you, loot the dead.
Grebber - One who grebs.

People who are in more destitute situations tend to rely on causes for celebration more.  I see nothing wrong with celebrating 'birthdays', particularly if it's more in the tone of 'I was born in the first week of Low Sun, so every year we get together and get drunk in that first week of Low Sun.'  Maybe your character wouldn't say 'Oh I was born on the 115th of Low Sun in the year of Muk Utep Owning You', but I don't think its unrealistic to have an idea of the season your character was born.  Nor do I think its unrealistic to celebrate surviving another year in a culture where death happens all the time.  Furthermore, it is in the documents that certain groups have coming of age ceremonies dependent on age.  Apparently age is important to certain cultures, and would be tracked.

I've played characters that have celebrated their age with friends and family, and I've played characters that have no idea how old they are except in the roughest of terms.  I think it all depends on the characters in question, and the players of those characters, whether that's the type of thing their family would participate in.

In short, I stand by my original post that it depends on the character in question, rather than making a blanket statements.
"Last night a moth came to my bed
and filled my tired weary head
with horrid tales of you, I can't believe it's true.
But then the lampshade smiled at me -
It said believe, it said believe.
I want you to know it's nothing personal."

The Chosen

Quote from: Shiroi Tsuki on October 20, 2008, 11:29:42 PM
People who are in more destitute situations tend to rely on causes for celebration more.  I see nothing wrong with celebrating 'birthdays', particularly if it's more in the tone of 'I was born in the first week of Low Sun, so every year we get together and get drunk in that first week of Low Sun.'  Maybe your character wouldn't say 'Oh I was born on the 115th of Low Sun in the year of Muk Utep Owning You', but I don't think its unrealistic to have an idea of the season your character was born.  Nor do I think its unrealistic to celebrate surviving another year in a culture where death happens all the time.  Furthermore, it is in the documents that certain groups have coming of age ceremonies dependent on age.  Apparently age is important to certain cultures, and would be tracked.

I've played characters that have celebrated their age with friends and family, and I've played characters that have no idea how old they are except in the roughest of terms.  I think it all depends on the characters in question, and the players of those characters, whether that's the type of thing their family would participate in.

In short, I stand by my original post that it depends on the character in question, rather than making a blanket statements.

I can't help it, every time I see it IG I just have an OOC eye roll like every one is about to start handing out gifts and pinning the tail on the donkey.

I mean, people aren't even literate.  And they don't really have anyway to even ask some one about the date unless they wanted to ask some one who was literate who would then likely have to be educated in monitoring time and so on.

Quote from: Bebop on October 21, 2008, 05:11:25 PM
I mean, people aren't even literate.  And they don't really have anyway to even ask some one about the date unless they wanted to ask some one who was literate who would then likely have to be educated in monitoring time and so on.

If our characters weren't supposed to have some sense of passing years and seasons, we wouldn't have the "time" command.

Also, your argument that literacy is the basis of knowledge about the passage of time is quite silly. Pre-literate societies are plenty sensitive to the passage of time. It's related to plant growth cycles and the position of celestial bodies. And guess what, there are plant growth cycles and varying positions of celestial bodies in Zalanthas.
Quote from: Vanth on February 13, 2008, 05:27:50 PM
I'm gonna go all Gimfalisette on you guys and lay down some numbers.

Quote from: staggerlee on October 19, 2008, 02:15:16 AM
I generally assumed that most poorer people in Zalanthas don't follow a very elaborate or well tracked calendar, and probably don't know exactly how old they are, let alone when they're born. I think it adds a nice grungy touch to the character.

More educated characters probably do have some way of keeping track of such, the time command and time line on the webpage certainly imply there's a well established and complex method of tracking the passage of time.  I'd definitely see the leisure classes knowing those things, and possibly celebrating. 

That's just my take on it though.

In order to clarify and oppose Gimf's little pro-time keeping rant...  I'm quoting myself. And clarifying.
When I suggest that my uneducated characters don't keep track of time, I mean urban poor.  I'm talking slaves that break rocks, rinth rats and the real dredges of the proletariat here. ;)  Tribals probably have a ridiculously complex cosmology and system for keeping track of that stuff, they're  a different story.

"Oh, you can't help that," said the Cat: "we're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad."

A significant portion of the populace in both Tuluk and Allanak also deals with agriculture. All those farming communities outside of Allanak; Oash and their winemaking; Rennik and their plants; House Dasari and House Uaptal are both in agriculture. There's no reason to believe that the cities and everyone living in them are entirely divorced from knowledge of seasons. Heck, there is even seasonal produce in the shops, in Tuluk, at least.

Quote from: Gimfalisette on October 21, 2008, 05:31:56 PM
A significant portion of the populace in both Tuluk and Allanak also deals with agriculture. All those farming communities outside of Allanak; Oash and their winemaking; Rennik and their plants; House Dasari and House Uaptal are both in agriculture. There's no reason to believe that the cities and everyone living in them are entirely divorced from knowledge of seasons. Heck, there is even seasonal produce in the shops, in Tuluk, at least.

Hey whoa now. I said urban:)
I agree for the most part, but I'm talking about the really impoverished, homeless urban types. Kids that grew up on the street without family, etc.

Quote from: staggerlee on October 21, 2008, 05:40:25 PM
Hey whoa now. I said urban:)
I agree for the most part, but I'm talking about the really impoverished, homeless urban types. Kids that grew up on the street without family, etc.

Sure, but "urban" is not really what you meant. All the employees of Dasari? They live in Tuluk. They are urban.

And I still would argue that any character at all has justification for seasonal awareness. The food supply changes, the weather changes, the angle of light changes. Again, the "time" command is IC reality.

Quote from: help timeDays are further grouped into sets of two hundred thirty-one. This interval marks the third time the sun and two moons converge in each phase of the sun. Thus, in a 231-day phase (or month), the sun and moons will all occupy the same place in the sky, which happens to occur at midnight, exactly three times. The third time this happens, the sun is said to have moved into another phase and a new month begins.

I think it's because of this that most people would at least have some general understanding of which part of the year they were born. A person might have known that they were born a little after the moons converged on the sun during Ascending Sun, for example, and take it from there. Thus, it isn't so ridiculous that the majority of people could celebrate birthdays with a rough idea of how to schedule, but it seems kind of silly to wait until your character is exactly xx years, 0 months, 0 days old, log in and have a big party unless you have a calendar, or a huge slate to make tally marks on.

Quote from: Shiroi Tsuki on October 20, 2008, 11:29:42 PM

Yeah, this is a good post.

That being said, I feel like a lack of Holidays were one thing missing from Arm 1.  It kind of limited the realism of the game to the level where the realism was capped.

I think it might be worth looking into whether illiterate "urban" societies in the real world have ever celebrated birthdays before passing judgement and saying it's stupid for them to do so.  There are a lot of misconceptions players jump to regarding character activities, basing their opinion off assumptions rather than knowledge in the area - such as warriors wearing silk (silk has been used as armor throughout history due to is resilience against arrows, for example), people wearing black in the desert because "black absorbs light" (just look at the clothing worn in the arabic world today if you think wearing black in the desert is unrealistic) and expecting players to stupefy their characters just because they are illiterate when illiterate societies have shown remarkable intelligence in many instances throughout history (illiterate individuals statistically have greater memorization skills, for example). 

If we are to use the argument that an illiterate group of commoners wouldn't know these things simply because they cannot read and write, we can still employ the idea that the city-states center around the nobility and as such the common mass could easily keep enough track of time through the nobility in order to know when the passing of a year transpires, even if they don't know the exact date day by day.

Moreover, much of these expectations imposed upon commoners by certain posters (you know, "don't do this", "don't do that", "you're too stupid to know this", you're too dumb to understand that", etc.) would mean that our characters amount to very little and we as players would find little joy in playing them.  I see nothing wrong with any character, from the highest noble lord or lady to the lowliest 'Rinth rat celebrating (in some form or other) his or her date of birth - and until someone substiates why it's unrealistic with some sort of evidence beyond the argument from personal incredulity, they run the risk of backfiring who and what they call "stupid".

Show me why it's unrealistic rather than simply labelling certain RP unrealistic because it "seems" unrealistic.  It seems unrealistic to me that something as big as a planet can spin on an axis but, you know what, the Earth is still rotating despite my incredulity.

Except in very specific places where you aren't -capable- of knowing night from day, you'll definitely notice season changes. I don't care where you live - if you live in the back streets of Chicago, you'll know when winter's coming, and you'll know when the spring thaw has just ended. If you live on one of the private Cays of the bahamas and you're the only human there, you'll know when hurricane season is coming.

In Zalanthas, you know when the seasons change. And the butcher who found your scrawny little ass when you were abandoned on his doorstep one day, tells you that you were no older than a month, and the winds were shifting to the east right after a horrible week-long sandstorm, then you can be pretty confident in knowing you were born the month before the Season Before The Eastern Shifts.

Having said that, I think some people will celebrate it as "another year I survived this harsh brutal world" and others will mourn it as "another year closer to death" because death comes so young, comparatively.
Talia said: Notice to all: Do not mess with Lizzie's GDB. She will cut you.
Delirium said: Notice to all: do not mess with Lizzie's soap. She will cut you.

I only celebrate birthdays when I can coax Lizzie into jumping from a cake..
Anonymous:  I don't get why magickers are so amazingly powerful in Arm.

Anonymous:  I mean... the concept of making one class completely dominating, and able to crush any other class after 5 days of power-playing, seems ridiculous to me.

Quote from: Hot_Dancer on November 15, 2008, 09:12:12 AM
...which makes Hot_Dancer three years old. He can even tie his own shoes now.
Talia said: Notice to all: Do not mess with Lizzie's GDB. She will cut you.
Delirium said: Notice to all: do not mess with Lizzie's soap. She will cut you.

Quote from: Lizzie on November 15, 2008, 01:06:32 PM
Quote from: Hot_Dancer on November 15, 2008, 09:12:12 AM
...which makes Hot_Dancer three years old. He can even tie his own shoes now.
Time for him to start paying very careful attention to the terms of his indenture.
The sword is sharp, the spear is long,
The arrow swift, the Gate is strong.
The heart is bold that looks on gold;
The dwarves no more shall suffer wrong.