Emotes =, +, !, &

Started by Tulana, October 12, 2008, 06:42:05 PM

Quote from: jmordetsky on October 13, 2008, 07:40:39 PM
Is there a way to accomplish:

the something, something man says, "This is the first part of what I want to say." then glances over his shoulder and continues, "This is the second part of what I want to say."

Only this:

say This is the first part of what I want to say.

say (then glances over ^me shoulder and continues) This is the second part of what I want to say.
Quote from: Vanth on February 13, 2008, 05:27:50 PM
I'm gonna go all Gimfalisette on you guys and lay down some numbers.

There is no way to insert an emote into the middle of a say line.  I've seen a couple people try to do this in various ways, and it turns out awkwardly.

I would recommend using two different says, perhaps with an ellipsis at the end of the first to indicate there's more to come.
"Last night a moth came to my bed
and filled my tired weary head
with horrid tales of you, I can't believe it's true.
But then the lampshade smiled at me -
It said believe, it said believe.
I want you to know it's nothing personal."

The Chosen

Quote from: Gimfalisette on October 13, 2008, 07:42:45 PM
Quote from: jmordetsky on October 13, 2008, 07:40:39 PM
Is there a way to accomplish:

the something, something man says, "This is the first part of what I want to say." then glances over his shoulder and continues, "This is the second part of what I want to say."

Only this:

say This is the first part of what I want to say.

say (then glances over ^me shoulder and continues) This is the second part of what I want to say.

Quote from: Shiroi Tsuki on October 13, 2008, 07:44:01 PM
There is no way to insert an emote into the middle of a say line.  I've seen a couple people try to do this in various ways, and it turns out awkwardly.

I would recommend using two different says, perhaps with an ellipsis at the end of the first to indicate there's more to come.

Darn. Thought that went in.
If you gaze for long enough into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

www.j03m.com

Alas  :'(  At least not that I know about, and I try to keep up on things like that.

The Chosen

tell lad (pursing his lips) Look, I am getting tired of this. (Shrugging then, ^me continues) "But if that's the way it's got to go.

Pursing his lips, you say to the brawny lad, in sirihish:
   "Look, I am getting tired of this."
Shrugging then, you continue:
   "But if that's the way it's got to go."

Eh, I don't know ... it might be able to be worked out to be less awkward ... I'd love to be able to do it.
Wynning since October 25, 2008.

Quote from: Ami on November 23, 2010, 03:40:39 PM
>craft newbie into good player

You accidentally snap newbie into useless pieces.

Discord:The7DeadlyVenomz#3870

Usually I do it like this:

Pursing your lips, you say to the brawny lad, in sirihish:
      "Look, I'm getting tired of this. But if that's the way it's got to go..."

Letting the words trail off, the tall muscular woman shrugs.

So emote / say / emote, basically. If you know you're doing it ahead of time you can use your MUD client's separator character to put the two things out at once.

tell lad (pursing ^me lips) Look, I'm getting tired of this. But if that's the way
it's got to go...;emote Letting the words trail off, @ shrugs

Off-topic... Another rpi mud I visit uses travel emote and object emote. The former is obvious; the latter is used for arranging the way objects look in a room, example: "a dagger is stuck in a painting here, its blade glinting with red". Would we ever see something like this on Arm, or is there no point to it?

Quote from: Tulana on October 14, 2008, 03:57:20 PM
Off-topic... Another rpi mud I visit uses travel emote and object emote. The former is obvious; the latter is used for arranging the way objects look in a room, example: "a dagger is stuck in a painting here, its blade glinting with red". Would we ever see something like this on Arm, or is there no point to it?

You want the arrange command.

We do have that, it's called arrange.  You used show where the item is, and you can do an emote with it.

You can also simply use it when dropping an item.

drop dagger ~ lies here, blade stained red.

Would show, A small obsidian dagger lies here, blade stained red.

Or you could do,

drop dagger
arrange dagger ~ lies here, blade stained red.

For the same effect.  I just prefer the first option.

And you can use an emote, in parentheses, with either.

The Chosen

But not:
> arrange cloak The gigantic and obese figure in ~ lunges at you, bellowing a bloodcurdling cry!
The sword is sharp, the spear is long,
The arrow swift, the Gate is strong.
The heart is bold that looks on gold;
The dwarves no more shall suffer wrong.

Quote from: brytta.leofa on October 14, 2008, 04:06:01 PM
But not:
> arrange cloak The gigantic and obese figure in ~ lunges at you, bellowing a bloodcurdling cry!

Not even for a form of Zalanthan performance art?

Armageddon also features travel emotes:

north (whistling while he works)
Quote from: RockScissors are fine.  Please nerf paper.

Quote from: Rahnevyn on October 14, 2008, 08:39:38 PM
Armageddon also features travel emotes:

north (whistling while he works)

Would the emote be the same if you decided to travel south? Or would it be nulled? Do you have to re-enter it every time?

For every time you type a direction, if you want to emote with it, you have to type the emote again.

s (whistling) w(whistling) w(whistling) ect
The man asks you:
     "'Bout damn time, lol.  She didn't bang you up too bad, did she?"
The man says, ooc:
     "OG did i jsut do that?"

Quote from: Shalooonsh
I love the players of this game.
That's not a random thought either.

It's also probably worth mentioning that none of the emote symbols will show properly in a travel emote.

If you do

> n (shaking ^me head)

People will see

Shaking ^me head, the tall, muscular man walks north.

%       (sdesc)'s       your
!       him/her         you
^       his/her         your
#       he/she          you
&       himself/herself yourself
=       (sdesc)'s       yours
+       his/hers        yours

This has probably been addressed a hundred times, but I can't find it via search. So. It is possible to brainstorm a simpler way of handling these things? They're ... not easy for the newbie.

Something like, instead of:

emo smiles at ~skinny, reaching for ^skinny hand and watching to see how #skinny reacts.

emo smiles at ~skinny, looking at {his}skinny hand and watching to see how {he}skinny reacts. (Or {her} and {she}, of course.)

Obviously, not necessarily with brackets, but with -some- mark that actually encompassed the part of speech you wanted to target. Does that make sense? An easy coding change?

Quote from: Lou on February 02, 2009, 08:20:25 AM
%       (sdesc)'s       your
!       him/her         you
^       his/her         your
#       he/she          you
&       himself/herself yourself
=       (sdesc)'s       yours
+       his/hers        yours

This has probably been addressed a hundred times, but I can't find it via search. So. It is possible to brainstorm a simpler way of handling these things? They're ... not easy for the newbie.

Something like, instead of:

emo smiles at ~skinny, reaching for ^skinny hand and watching to see how #skinny reacts.

emo smiles at ~skinny, looking at {his}skinny hand and watching to see how {he}skinny reacts. (Or {her} and {she}, of course.)

Obviously, not necessarily with brackets, but with -some- mark that actually encompassed the part of speech you wanted to target. Does that make sense? An easy coding change?

I kinda like this idea....

But what will determine what the target sees?

Well, my idea is that the commands would work exactly the same as currently.

So '... how {he}skinny reacts...' would be exactly the same as '... how #skinny reacts ...'

You'd see the same, the others in the room would see the same, the target would see the same with {he} as #.

{him} = !
{his} = ^
{he} = #
{himself} = &

I'm not sure how it's work for = and + and &, but maybe someone else can refine the idea. And even cutting out a few of the &#$%!^ things would be great.

To be honest, my first 3 months of Arm were played with the website-based helpfile for emoting loaded up in another window for easy access. It's not easy for a newbie to grasp, I agree. But I feel like it's just one of those things that you have to grit your teeth and practice to get the hang of. There aren't any magick pills to make it easier to digest imo.  :-\
Quote from: Marauder Moe
Oh my god he's still rocking the sandwich.

And try remember to think about what other people in the room see when you type it.

= and + are for echoing back yours. There is a HUGE difference between that and %/^. As in, it won't jar me out of real life.

I don't think I've EVER used &, in all my years. I can't even think of how I COULD use it... Anyone got any examples?
The man asks you:
     "'Bout damn time, lol.  She didn't bang you up too bad, did she?"
The man says, ooc:
     "OG did i jsut do that?"

Quote from: Shalooonsh
I love the players of this game.
That's not a random thought either.

Quote from: Lou on February 02, 2009, 09:04:55 AM
{him} = !
{his} = ^
{he} = #
{himself} = &

I like this idea.

FYI, though, this would be really easy to do in client-side aliases.

Quote from: musashi on February 02, 2009, 09:51:13 AMThere aren't any magick pills to make it easier to digest imo. 

You don't think this would help? Giving newbies the option of memorizing '{him}' as an emote command instead of '!'? Seems to me that'd be much easier, and there's no reason to accept how hard this emoting is, at least not before looking into some alternatives.

Quote from: tortall on February 02, 2009, 10:32:57 AM
And try remember to think about what other people in the room see when you type it.

= and + are for echoing back yours. There is a HUGE difference between that and %/^. As in, it won't jar me out of real life.

I don't think I've EVER used &, in all my years. I can't even think of how I COULD use it... Anyone got any examples?

This doesn't change what anyone sees, or what gets echoed back, or anything like that. It changes nothing at all except what I, the player, type into my mudclient. Instead of typing "emo whistles at ~frail, ogling ^frail cleavage and watching to see how #frail reacts," I type "emo whistles at ~frail, ogling {her}frail and cleavage and watching to see how {she}frail reacts."

For me, at least, that's many, many times easier. But maybe this would be tough to code?

As for an example of &, how about:

emo watches as ~frail dusts &frail off.

(Which in my scheme is 'emo watches as ~frail dusts {herself}frail off.' See how much easier!)

It's also a lot more typing. ;)

I suspect, that as you get familiar with the emote symbols, they'll become second nature and you'll be grateful for the simple keystrokes. It took me a while to really settle in with them, but now I barely have to think about it.

I'm of the mind that what you suggest would just be a different flavor of the same kind of headache that new people experience when testing the waters of our emote code. Of course that's just my opinion based on nothing but what I'm thinking at the moment but ... I just feel like whether of not the syntax is & or {him/herself} people are going to think it's confusing at first until they get used to it.

Quote from: a strange shadow on February 02, 2009, 10:58:14 AM
It's also a lot more typing. ;)

I suspect, that as you get familiar with the emote symbols, they'll become second nature and you'll be grateful for the simple keystrokes. It took me a while to really settle in with them, but now I barely have to think about it.

EDIT: +1
Quote from: Marauder Moe
Oh my god he's still rocking the sandwich.

whats wrong with just typing

emote takes his hand and shoves it up his bum.

instead of using the symbols
Quote from: AJM
Only noobs quote themselves.