Shields, a matter of size.

Started by Sephiroto, September 14, 2008, 06:30:57 PM

Shields, currently classified as armor, usually come with predefined dimensions in their descriptions but are resized while tailoring.  A shield that I once could wield (default size) was "too heavy" after reparing it.  It weighed the same before and after repairs.  I submitted a bug for this topic.  Should my character still be able to wield it?  Yes.

Now my question to the players.  In your opinion, should shields be able to be resized?  If so, how should should that be reflected in the long description of the newly modified item?  For instance, if you are a half-giant who repairs a "small wooden shield", which states it is two cords in diameter, should it remain two cords in diameter?  Should you have the option to say yes or no to a resizing during the repair?  If you say yes should the main description be modified to size parameters contingent with the size of your character?  A small shield for a half giant might not be a small shield for a human.  And a half-giant probably couldn't/shouldn't wield a human's small shield.

I would rather see shields either modifed to have no firm dimensions, or be unable to be resized. A check in the repair script for item_type shield should do the trick easily.
Wynning since October 25, 2008.

Quote from: Ami on November 23, 2010, 03:40:39 PM
>craft newbie into good player

You accidentally snap newbie into useless pieces.

Discord:The7DeadlyVenomz#3870

If it follows normal gamma, it would be item type_armor with a shield flag.  Thus the reason it can be resized in the first place.
Evolution ends when stupidity is no longer fatal."

Shields should just be a certain size - like bows, and weapons.  There should be a variety of sizes for variously sized characters to choose from.  Really the only thing that needs sizing or adjustment on a shield is the strap that holds it to your arm.
"Last night a moth came to my bed
and filled my tired weary head
with horrid tales of you, I can't believe it's true.
But then the lampshade smiled at me -
It said believe, it said believe.
I want you to know it's nothing personal."

The Chosen

Quote from: Twilight on September 15, 2008, 01:49:26 PM
If it follows normal gamma, it would be item type_armor with a shield flag.  Thus the reason it can be resized in the first place.
That is a good point. Then the script needs to check against the shield flag, or the wear location. Undeniably, the shield is worn in a different location than any other sort of armor. The point is, though, that shields are distinctly shields, and should not resize. Finding a good shield should be like finding a bow.

The reason shields can be resized is because of the back wear location.

Now, I'm not saying it is impossible, but I've yet to find a shield my PC could not use even if it was to large or too small to wear on his back.  This does not include shields that are too large for the PC to use for other reasons. Which, is the way it should be IMO.
A gaunt, yellow-skinned gith shrieks in fear, and hauls ass.
Lizzie:
If you -want- me to think that your character is a hybrid of a black kryl and a white push-broom shaped like a penis, then you've done a great job

I don't know what the problem is.  I could use the shield before repair.  I got it fixed and now I can't.  I can still use a different shield that is -heavier- than the shield I repaired even.  I need some Raid to kill these bugs man.

For most shields you could probably get around the "size" factor with a little extra thought put into it.

A shield usually has two straps on the back side.

One strap for your upper forearm, and another strap for your grip/hand.

When you get the shield "tailored" just rp that the tailor is adjusting/relocating these straps to fit your arm specifically.

Instead of RP'ing that the shield is "too big" just rp the shield is "strapped wrong" for the size of your arm specifically and the tailor is adjusting the "utility straps" for someone with an arm your size to wield the shield.

As for it once being just right for you, then tailoring causing it to be too big, thats just a bug.
Quote from: James de Monet on April 09, 2015, 01:54:57 AM
My phone now autocorrects "damn" to Dman.
Quote from: deathkamon on November 14, 2015, 12:29:56 AM
The young daughter has been filled.

Well, when the tailoring got fixed, shields went along with it. Things scale in weight depending on your size, not -just- size like they used to.

Before it was tailored it was too small to wear on my back even though it was definately not too small.  Now that I've tailored it it's not too big to wield.  "It's too heavy to use" or something like that, but I'm pretty sure I can wear it now.  Let's pretend that the shield now weighs 10 stone.  Well, I can use another shield that weighs 13 stone just fine.  It's probably just as large.

I don't think things should be tailorable more than a size larger or smaller than the default for the item.  This includes shields.

When that half-giant gets his obsidian breastplate tailored from dwarf-size to giant-size, what's happening?  Is the tailor constructing a whole new set of giant-sized obsidian plates, or does he just take the old plates and fasten them onto a giant-sized shirt?

If you've ever tailored anything from dwarf size to giant size, you'll know that it's amazingly expensive.  That probably does reflect the cost of him having to find the materials to work into the item.
"Last night a moth came to my bed
and filled my tired weary head
with horrid tales of you, I can't believe it's true.
But then the lampshade smiled at me -
It said believe, it said believe.
I want you to know it's nothing personal."

The Chosen