Author Topic: What are you currently reading?  (Read 398470 times)

WarriorPoet

Re: What are you currently reading?
« Reply #3275 on: April 06, 2021, 05:19:54 PM »
I am about to start the Hellborn King. I haven't read it but Chris is a friend of mine. We wrote together on roleplaying forums for years and I had a hand in naming the main character fifteen years ago when we were writing together on the NationStates forums.

I can't say the book is great, yet. But if it is as good as his other writing, it will be worth the time. If you have some spare funds, get this one and support a solid dude.

https://www.amazon.com/Hellborn-King-Christopher-G-Brenning/dp/0578883597
We were somewhere near the Shield Wall, on the edge of the Red Desert, when the drugs began to take hold...

Barsook

« Reply #3276 on: June 29, 2021, 08:00:11 PM »
Wizard Hunters
Fredd-
i love being a nobles health points

Barsook

« Reply #3277 on: July 23, 2021, 10:57:54 AM »
The Vlad Tatlos books for like the fifth time.
Fredd-

Barsook

« Reply #3278 on: October 18, 2021, 09:15:04 AM »
Shadowplay (Spellmonger: Legacy and Secrets Book 1)
Fredd-

Jihelu

« Reply #3279 on: October 18, 2021, 12:14:45 PM »
Went to the library for the first time in forever.

Checked out 'Poison Study'. Solid book, would have been better if they didn't give the main character magic but whatever.

Jihelu

« Reply #3280 on: December 02, 2021, 02:50:36 PM »
Currently reading a few books

Traitors Blade Series

The Vorrh Series

And the Poison Study series (All of these have different names for their series but I can't be fucked to read them)

The Traitor's Blade series is always described as being somewhat similar to the 3 Musketeers and I lowkey agree. There are firearms in the setting but they honestly forget about them after the first book, so far, which I find kinda funny. Maybe they will come back?
Mostly political intrigue going on it's rather good in my opinion. They also don't give the main character magic powers which I appreciate

The Vorrh series is fucking weird. It's set in around the 1920's-1940's in primarily Africa, where the supernatural is more often than not. It's a wild ride that I'm glad I read.

Poison study is pretty damn good. Set in a militaristic dictator state in not-fantasy times (No firearms yet, magic exists), it's about a woman condemned to die who becomes a poison taster for the leader.

sucre

« Reply #3281 on: December 02, 2021, 05:25:24 PM »
The Golem and the Jinni

I could cry!
Peace is a lie, there is only passion.
There is no room for doubt in power. -TJA, 5/20/22

MeTekillot

« Reply #3282 on: January 29, 2022, 07:37:16 PM »
Just finished Rhythm of War. Some parts were corny, some were slow or prosaic, but by the end of the book I'd probably cried four or five times.
Cons: Someone's gonna fill animal holes, likely day 1.

Bast

« Reply #3283 on: January 31, 2022, 07:59:04 PM »
I am taking another stab through the disc world.. I haven't read them /all/ and I haven't read the ones I have over in a long time.
The sound of a thunderous explosion tears through the air and blasts waves of pressure ripple through the ground.

Looking northward, the rugged, stubble-bearded templar asks you, in sirihish:
     "Well... I think it worked...?"

Tuannon

« Reply #3284 on: February 01, 2022, 04:38:09 AM »
Guards! Guards! served well for making a Legion character back in the day. Although he was intended to end up similar to Vimes he ended up being more like Carrot before I decided to store him due to unfavourable OOC nonsense.
Emperor, your sword is useless
Shattered crowns so swiftly
Fragile as the scythe

Shaydee

« Reply #3285 on: March 11, 2022, 05:16:24 PM »
I just started the crescent city series and I am having a hard time putting it down, it's a nice way to drown out IRL worries/stresses.. been a long time since I sat down and picked up a book I had a hard time putting down.
The naked chubby winged halfling flaps its wings and blows you a kiss!

Brytta Léofa

« Reply #3286 on: March 18, 2022, 08:31:27 PM »
all are from Madeline Miller's genius.

I haven't read Song of Achilles yet, but Circe was great.
<Maso> I thought you were like...a real sweet lady.

sucre

« Reply #3287 on: March 18, 2022, 09:20:35 PM »

Please, do it.  You owe it to yourself. They're both brilliant and her prose is so beautiful. I always feel like a better writer when I'm in the midst of reading one of her novels. And if you felt any emotion at all during Circe, you'll feel a hundred times that in Song, I guarantee it.

Barsook

« Reply #3288 on: March 24, 2022, 06:19:17 PM »
Foxhunt

It's like the first Solarpunk setting that I seen.
Fredd-

WarriorPoet

« Reply #3289 on: March 25, 2022, 09:53:33 PM »

The Traitor's Blade series is always described as being somewhat similar to the 3 Musketeers and I lowkey agree. There are firearms in the setting but they honestly forget about them after the first book, so far, which I find kinda funny. Maybe they will come back?
Mostly political intrigue going on it's rather good in my opinion. They also don't give the main character magic powers which I appreciate

I am finishing these up after your recommendation. Decent. I wish there was some more beef to the world building but a fun read. Thanks.
We were somewhere near the Shield Wall, on the edge of the Red Desert, when the drugs began to take hold...

WarriorPoet

« Reply #3290 on: May 18, 2022, 10:29:46 AM »

Please, do it.  You owe it to yourself. They're both brilliant and her prose is so beautiful. I always feel like a better writer when I'm in the midst of reading one of her novels. And if you felt any emotion at all during Circe, you'll feel a hundred times that in Song, I guarantee it.

So I did the Audible of Song of Achilles. Jesus. What a heartbreaker. Thanks for pushing it.

sucre

« Reply #3291 on: May 18, 2022, 11:38:32 AM »

So I did the Audible of Song of Achilles. Jesus. What a heartbreaker. Thanks for pushing it.

I am more than pleased to convert another to that woman's genius. I'm glad you enjoyed it!!