RangerSneak!

Started by Anonymous, May 11, 2003, 05:54:08 AM

Another lesson - don't use foul language when you're angry, it makes you look silly and diminishes from any worthwhile point you're making.

I got his point pretty well, and he said fuck once, not a big deal, it wasn't every other word.

And as far as patience, he did note that he had the skill for a long time, and did practice it, so it's not that. The issue is that creatures auto 'look' every few seconds, which makes sneaking up on them pointless, since they see you with the auto 'look' before your movement lag wears off, so you can't even hope to hide in that time, or even try to attack. So sneaking up on a creature ideally should still be unlikely, but at least succesful sometimes, I mean, in real life, my friend's father is a bow hunter, gets within three or four feet of the deer (He's... an interesting hunter), which with the right weapon is close enough to attack it at least once.

I've posted here before, but I will say again, I had a ranger (near 40 days) who after having sneak and using it very often for 20+ days was never able to sneak up on an autoflee, Oh, had two times where the creature took a few seconds to flee but both those times was when the skill was new to him so I think it had nothing to do with the skill. I gave up useing it with later rangers unless it involved a pc, works fine with pc's but unless you are some kind of raider, yup, wilderness sneak basicly useless.

IRL when hunting, or not, I find it pretty easy to sneak up on animals as long as you know what your doing, I'm one of those 'interesting' hunters, I like to walk, I hate stands/blinds, I'd love to hunt deer with a dagger or a spear but it is illegal in every area I've checked...sigh.
A gaunt, yellow-skinned gith shrieks in fear, and hauls ass.
Lizzie:
If you -want- me to think that your character is a hybrid of a black kryl and a white push-broom shaped like a penis, then you've done a great job

One thing I'll note, people often chase auto-flees to friends when hunting.  Dude A moves into room with SoonToBeDeadVestric...STBDV flees.  If it flees towards Dude B & C, Dude A pulls out ranged weapon while B & C beat up STBDV.  Now, if that STBDV auto-looks, why doesn't it auto-flee from Dudes B & C?
Quote from: MalifaxisWe need to listen to spawnloser.
Quote from: Reiterationspawnloser knows all

Quote from: SpoonA magicker is kind of like a mousetrap, the fear is the cheese. But this cheese has an AK47.

I think because the auto-look script only looks for differences between the current look, and the previous look, and when they enter that room, that 'look' is set as look naught, so any differences from that first look is what sets them to run.

Okay, well if it's really impossible to sneak up on auto-flee creatures in the wilds...does anyone else think that's kind of lame? Is it supposed to be this way, or just one of those things that's on the list of things to fix? I mean, I'm not asking to be able to sneak up on anything and everything I see, but ONE success every now and again would be nice, even if it's rare...which I tent to agree with the above posters, it shouldn't be THAT hard to come within bow range of some skiddish game, I know I've done it  countless times in the woods with deer, antelope, etc.

I think you're missing the point...you can shoot a bow at something from a different room.  You don't have to be in the same room as the creature like melee combat.

Quote from: SpoonA magicker is kind of like a mousetrap, the fear is the cheese. But this cheese has an AK47.

I think you're missing the point.. they want to be able to sneak up on it and take it down in melee combat instead of using their bow. ;)

Yeah, autoflee creatures simulate some more realism, but I agree with some of the others that it takes away from the biggest benefit of there being a ranger version of sneak and hide that they cannot get past this.

If anyone should be able to get past this it should be an experienced ranger.

I would've thought that they could but from what I've seen they cannot...noone can.
Quote from: Fnord on November 27, 2010, 01:55:19 PM
May the fap be with you, always. ;D

The funny thing is, it would be so VERY easy to fix.

If the autoflee script works like a motion detector and takes 'snapshots' say once per second and flees on a change to the 'picture' then simply change to a triggered script, set the trigger to one of the directions as a keyword, because that is always given in an entrance or exit message.

east west north south up down

Then when matched the script does flee self,
then extend the script to run an extra 3 rooms random just to make it fun.

Now, it is possible that it already works that way but the mud does not stop entrance and exit messages to npc/mobs when someone is succesful in a sneak. In which case it would be some probly minor code work to fix.
A gaunt, yellow-skinned gith shrieks in fear, and hauls ass.
Lizzie:
If you -want- me to think that your character is a hybrid of a black kryl and a white push-broom shaped like a penis, then you've done a great job

Sorry if I sounded crass, Delerium.  I do understand that, but drunkendwarf said that he has problems getting into bow range.

Erm, yeah I, for some reason, was thinking bow range within in the same room....I'm aware you can shoot from at least one room away, and depending on the bow possibly more...just suffering from some lack of sleep when I posted that last message. Anyways, does anyone else agree it's rather lame that you apparently *can't* sneak up auto-flee creatures? Really, shouldn't that be the main point of the ranger version of sneak? Make it extremely difficult to do, I don't care....just make it possible! Please!! Heh.

Quote from: "drunkendwarf"Really, shouldn't that be the main point of the ranger version of sneak?

No, I think the main point of wilderness sneak is so you can play  Assassin of the Wastes or Robin Hood with other PCs.  Rinthers can't sneak up on the auto-flee rats either.

AC
Treat the other man's faith gently; it is all he has to believe with."     Henry S. Haskins

QuoteNo, I think the main point of wilderness sneak is so you can play Assassin of the Wastes or Robin Hood with other PCs.

Well all right....as long as I get to be Robin Hood!

Quote from: "drunkendwarf"
Well all right....as long as I get to be Robin Hood!

Hmm, I suppose.  But a drunken dwarf would really be better suited as Friar Tuck, or even Little Jhon if a half-giant isn't available.  Not only is a dwarf going to look funny in tights, but it would make your relationship with Maid Marrian really complex.

AC
Treat the other man's faith gently; it is all he has to believe with."     Henry S. Haskins