Favorite Rooms/Areas

Started by jcljules, July 09, 2008, 07:15:58 PM

I actually do like the...residential area, or whatever it is...in Tuluk.  I wish 'nak had something like that.

(I also wish Tuluk's had more actual enterable dwellings instead of long rows of virtual ones. Picky, picky I am.)
The sword is sharp, the spear is long,
The arrow swift, the Gate is strong.
The heart is bold that looks on gold;
The dwarves no more shall suffer wrong.

Yeah--Allanak has plenty of dwellings you can enter--so why not Tuluk?
Quote from: Gimfalisette
(10:00:49 PM) Gimf: Yes, you sentence? I sentence often.

Tuluk has plenty too. Off the top of my head, I can think of five apartment buildings with actual rentable apartments in them, two single-standing dwelling-looking structures, two enterable virtual apartment buildings that don't have coded apartments but you -can- at least enter the building, a "private" rentable room in each of two bars, and semi-private booths in a third. All of these, you can either rent, break into, or at least enter the front hall.
Talia said: Notice to all: Do not mess with Lizzie's GDB. She will cut you.
Delirium said: Notice to all: do not mess with Lizzie's soap. She will cut you.

Quote from: Inix77 on July 10, 2008, 10:07:22 AM
Does everybody just love 'Nak? Because I think everyone in this thread so far has mentioned 'Nak, and poor old Tuluk has less mentions that Redstorm probably!  :'(

Then Tuluk should have a map that's less of a pain in the ass to traverse.
And I vanish into the dark
And rise above my station

Well, I wasn't going to bother to post, but...

Poets' Circle is probably my favorite area of the game. The teahouse and its roof is the bomb.

The Nobles' Quarter in Tuluk is way, way, way prettier and far more navigable than the comparable area of Allanak.

I love the Tembo's Tooth. It's probably my favorite current, active tavern for atmosphere and usability.

And I like the atmosphere of Under Tuluk better than the atmosphere of the Labyrinth. I also like that UT is so much less obvious.

Overall, I just like Tuluk's layout and descs much better than Allanak's.

Allanak has some areas that I enjoy, though. Room echoes / ambience are better-coded in Allanak...stuff like traffic on Caravan way, things that happen in the bazaar. That's cool stuff.
Quote from: Vanth on February 13, 2008, 05:27:50 PM
I'm gonna go all Gimfalisette on you guys and lay down some numbers.

They're mostly too IC to post.

But I really love a place when it has a special memory attached to it due to a scene I've had there.

I also love the Tablelands and the Red Desert in general.

Luir's Outpost.  Especially the catwalks.
Any questions, comments, or condemnations to an eternity of fiery torment?

Waving a hammer, the irate, seething crafter says, in rage-accented sirihish :
"Be impressed.  Now!"

Probably couldn't say. There are several.

Rooftops, abandoned buildings, dark alleys... city streets that aren't patrolled by 100 guards.

July 12, 2008, 12:04:29 AM #35 Last Edit: July 15, 2008, 11:35:02 AM by Mood

• I love the Elementalist's Quarter. The Elkran and Rukkian temples, in particular, are awesome.

• The Gaj. What's not to love?

• Red Storm, in small doses. It's too empty for me to stay in.

• The Warrens in Tuluk. One of the only areas of Tuluk that I enjoy, because it portrays the grit that I feel is sorely lacking there.

• The Allanaki rooftops. I wish there were more to explore. :(

• Meleth's Circle and its awesome echoes and flavor.

• The ever-arrogant Salarri Way.

• The even more arrogant southern Salarri mansion.

• CENYR. Cenyr is awesome.

• The Grasslands.

• The Salt Flats. I love the picture of endless, bleak stretches of nothing.

I'm going to stop here, before I list every area in the game.

Except, one more.

Probably MY FAVORITE PLACE IN THE GAME:

• A certain argosy owned by a certain merchant house. YAAAARRRRRR.
Quote from: H. L.  MenckenEvery normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats.

1. Under-Tuluk.

2. 'Rinth

3. Tablelands. -So many cool rooms, and different areas to explore.

4. Blackwing Outpost -Just walking into this place makes me feel like I'm stepping into Zalanthas. The well written descriptions and all the VNPCS and NPCS.

5. Grey Forest

6. Zalanthas - I could sit here and list 100's and 100's of rooms and still not even scratch the surface. I think alot of times players take for granted how many man hours have gone into making this world such a beautiful piece of work. Hands down probably one of the best MUDs to have ever been created by a group of people.

Tablelands - They are so awesome, there's a lot to do there!

All the hidey-holes everywhere - Nothing screams Zalanthas like an appropriately-flavored lair.

Silt Sea & Red Storm - I think there's a lot of untouched possibilities there.

There is a lot more that I love but I mainly am completely in love with the environment. The world is so perfectly, beautifully crafted.
"Never was anything great achieved without danger."
     -Niccolo Machiavelli

Freil's Rest before it was assimilated into 2.Tuluk.

... I have a flower fixation.

1.  The Merchant Square gardens
2.  The Borsail Estate gardens.  (R.I.P.)
3.  That room that belonged to that guy who let me stay there
4.  The back rooms of the Tooth
5.  Roof of the Ghatti
6.  Silverwood
7.  That place that's too IC, but really damn pretty
Quote from: saquartey
Rairen, what would we do without you?

The Silt Sea. Reading Vanth's blog-post wherein she says there are somewhere around 1700 rooms in the Sea makes me sad; I probably won't ever see anything but the shore, much less the majority of the rooms.
There is no general doctrine which is not capable of eating out our morality if unchecked by the deep-seated habit of direct fellow-feeling with individual fellow-men. -George Eliot

Quote from: Tisiphone on July 12, 2008, 08:50:35 PM
The Silt Sea. Reading Vanth's blog-post wherein she says there are somewhere around 1700 rooms in the Sea makes me sad; I probably won't ever see anything but the shore, much less the majority of the rooms.

I have to sympathize... as a newbie, I've seen precious few of the rooms in game -period-. So it will be unfortunate when 2.Arm rolls around and its all gone... Maybe the staff can put the old game back up on special occasions, with the sole purpose of exploring? Like--not RP enforced or anything. You can just discover all of the secrets of the current game, see the things you never knew about.
Quote from: Gimfalisette
(10:00:49 PM) Gimf: Yes, you sentence? I sentence often.

Old Tuluk... before the destruction.  I still miss it... Flint's Tavern and the old Red Sun commons or whatever it was called with the dried up, cracked fountain that would occasionally get filled somehow and you were like "Sweet!  Free water!".  The old estates that were right there within a few steps of the commons and the tavern. The rest of Old Tuluk was awesome, too... maybe someone can help refresh my memory of the rest.

The small touches. (Like the faded colour of the sigils on the noble gate in Allanak - or that player driven wagons crashed over the shield wall don't really vanish at reset.. and other places)

I like that you can discover new things all the time. I've been in some rooms for months upon a time and then pause and read them again to find a hidden container or something, and you're like "sweet jesus, loot and secrecry!". That, my good friends is the awesomest of awesome.
Modern concepts of fair trials and justice are simply nonexistent in Zalanthas. If you are accused, you are guilty until someone important decides you might be useful. It doesn't really matter if you did it or not.

Quote from: Marauder Moe on July 10, 2008, 10:21:05 AMThe Temple of Ruk.  It's very Zen.

Oh yes, for sure.

A certain Tarp on stonecarver's road...
Child, child, if you come to this doomed house, what is to save you?

A voice whispers, "Read the tales upon the walls."

Quote from: LauraMars on July 13, 2008, 04:52:48 AM
A certain Tarp on stonecarver's road...

A certain wretched dwelling on Miner's Road...
The sword is sharp, the spear is long,
The arrow swift, the Gate is strong.
The heart is bold that looks on gold;
The dwarves no more shall suffer wrong.

I like this thread, because it gives pride to have areas you have worked on, or built completely, acknowledged as favorite areas by other players.
Quote from: SynthesisI always thought of jozhals as like...reptilian wallabies.

Quote from: FiveDisgruntledMonkeysWitI pictured them as cute, glittery mini-velociraptors.
Kinda like a My Little Pony that could eat your face.

- The Tembo's Tooth: Very amazing echos - at least the last time I was there, don't know..haven't played in Tuluk for a very VERY long time.

- Borsail Estate: It was large and confusing yet very very grand. A perfect fit for the dominating House. :)

- Outside of Rennik Arboretum: I remember when I first started playing Arm which was quite a few years ago, there were no echos outside of the Arboretum. But now it's got these amazing echos which just adds to the gritty and brutal nature of the whole city.

- Trader's Inn: I may be the first one to mention this, but I find the stark contrast between the harsh surroundings outside of the tavern i.e dusty circle, dead bodies, beggars and the interior of the place i.e elegantly clad servants and quiet environment awfully amazing. I get this V.I.P feeling every time one of my PCs walk into the establishment.

- Mantis Valley: Once again, good echos.
Quote from: Majikal on August 20, 2009, 05:53:09 PM

Running after Carru, catching them, then eating them while they are still breathing is a Red Fang's version of 'fast food'.

Lots of good mentions...

I kind of miss the Crater.  I thought it was great for atmosphere in old Tuluk.
Tryin' to make friends but people are jerks,
So I'm gonna put some fleas on you.
And the fleas'll have the plague,
And they'll make you cough a lot,
Then you'll be too sick to hurt my feelings anymore.

Red Storm (spent too much time there!)
Cenyr
A certain special place under Allanak
That place with the deep deep hole and what lives in it.
Previous of note: Kaevya the blind Tor Scorpion, Kaloraynai 'Raynai' the beetle Ruk, Korenyire of SLK, Koal 'Kick' the hooved Whiran, Kocadici/Dici/Glimmer, Koefaxine the giant Oashi 'Aide', Kosmia 'Grit' the rinthi
Current: Like I'd tell you.