What age is it appropriate to start playing Arm?

Started by RogueGunslinger, June 29, 2008, 05:08:18 PM

What age would/did you let your child start playing Arm?

Below 10
1 (1.1%)
10-12
3 (3.3%)
13-15
26 (28.3%)
16-18
41 (44.6%)
19-21
12 (13%)
21+
2 (2.2%)
Any age
7 (7.6%)

Total Members Voted: 91

Quote from: Malken on July 03, 2008, 04:16:17 PM
I don't think it's a question of being mature enough or not to handle a sex scene, I just think it's against the law to have any sort of sexual contact with a minor, virtual or not, and if the minor you're mudsexing on Arm tells you that he is an adult and lying, then you, as the adult, is still going to be guilty if caught by the law.

I would strongly suspect Malken is right about this. Just because an ARMer attempts to claim, "It was In-Character, not Out-of-Character!" doesn't mean a cop or a judge or a jury is going to see things the same way.
Quote from: Vanth on February 13, 2008, 05:27:50 PM
I'm gonna go all Gimfalisette on you guys and lay down some numbers.

Quote from: Gimfalisette on July 03, 2008, 04:20:06 PM
So, point is, just because my kids can/do/will make some bad choices and screw up from time to time, that doesn't change my responsibility. Once you're a parent, you don't stop being a parent at some magic number like 13, 18, 21, or 30.

In that case I agree with you.

Brandon
Quote from: Ghost on December 16, 2009, 06:15:17 PM
brandon....

you did the biggest mistake of your life

Quote from: Tisiphone on July 03, 2008, 04:17:06 PM
Quote from: FuSoYa on July 03, 2008, 04:13:57 PM
I'm just saying... if they get a mind of their own and decide to start hanging out with friends, sipping on the hooch, smoking a little weed and finger-banging whoever will let them... well it's all part of growing up right?

Brandon

No.

Wow.  You really have gone on a downward slope to snippy-ness and meaness lately.  Chill out Tis... it's ok to laugh, we're all just idiots on a web forum.

Brandon
brandon....

Yeah, I have. Check out the other threads, too. :-\

Don't know what's up with me lately, maybe I'll take a break entire from the GDB.
There is no general doctrine which is not capable of eating out our morality if unchecked by the deep-seated habit of direct fellow-feeling with individual fellow-men. -George Eliot

Quote from: Tisiphone on July 03, 2008, 04:58:08 PM

Don't know what's up with me lately, maybe I'll take a break entire from the GDB.

It's ok dude, and yea I just saw the other threads.  Trust me, sometimes I get a bad attitude on shit too and don't take a break unless you feel you need one, not because other people think you do.  It's all good though, I know for one I like having you on the board (not to mention IG) just felt compelled to say something. 

Brandon.... who realizes everyone is in a bad mood sometimes and needs a place to vent. 
brandon....

It's not just a question of legality. It's a matter of ethics. It's a question of what type of person you choose to be. Do you choose to be the type of person who has inappropriate relationships with people below the age of consent?
I personally choose not to.
Varak:You tell the mangy, pointy-eared gortok, in sirihish: "What, girl? You say the sorceror-king has fallen down the well?"
Ghardoan:A pitiful voice rises from the well below, "I've fallen and I can't get up..."

Quote from: FuSoYa on July 03, 2008, 05:05:31 PM
Quote from: Tisiphone on July 03, 2008, 04:58:08 PM

It's ok dude, and yea I just saw the other threads.  Trust me, sometimes I get a bad attitude on shit too and don't take a break unless you feel you need one, not because other people think you do.  It's all good though, I know for one I like having you on the board (not to mention IG) just felt compelled to say something. 

Brandon.... who realizes everyone is in a bad mood sometimes and needs a place to vent. 

WAIT WAIT! HOLD THE PHONE?!

Tis is a guy?  :o
"Don't take life too seriously, nobody ever makes it out alive anyway."

No... I'm pretty sure Tis is a woman.

Brandon
brandon....

Quote from: Gimfalisette on July 03, 2008, 04:05:49 PM
Quote from: Panda on July 03, 2008, 02:23:09 PM
I don't know that I could control my kids that much.
I'm going to address just this snippet....

And, I think that's great, and I respect that.  I wish more people would be as caring, and as vigilant, as parents.  But, the snippet being in the nature of a personal statement, I don't think I could control my kids that much.  I don't think I would have the drive to do so.  I also recognize that I would be a terrible parent, and due to what might be considered fortunate circumstances of biology (in this instance only, really) I don't have to worry about it being put on me accidentally, or before I feel I'm responsible enough, or mature enough, to handle it.

I'm going to go out on a limb, and assume that when/if you deem your kids ready to play Arm or a similar game, it'll be based more on their maturity, and less on their specific age.  It correlates, to some extent, but not entirely.

I don't know that I'm claiming that I have no problem with kids being exposed to pop culture these days, as saying that I don't have control over what other people's kids do.  And in this kind of environment, you can't really tell who is a kid if you have no ooc contact with someone, and who is not.  Even if they explicitly state that they aren't.  Even if you're playing a game that claims to be 18+ only, which this one isn't.  You're going to have to act accordingly.
That's the kind of wooley-headed liberal thinking that leads to being eaten.

Quote from: FuSoYa on July 03, 2008, 04:54:08 PM
Quote from: Tisiphone on July 03, 2008, 04:17:06 PM
Quote from: FuSoYa on July 03, 2008, 04:13:57 PM
I'm just saying... if they get a mind of their own and decide to start hanging out with friends, sipping on the hooch, smoking a little weed and finger-banging whoever will let them... well it's all part of growing up right?

Brandon

No.

Wow.  You really have gone on a downward slope to snippy-ness and meaness lately.  Chill out Tis... it's ok to laugh, we're all just idiots on a web forum.

I found Tisiphone's statement wholly appropriate.  The situation is simply not as narrow as you presented.
Any questions, comments, or condemnations to an eternity of fiery torment?

Waving a hammer, the irate, seething crafter says, in rage-accented sirihish :
"Be impressed.  Now!"

I stand by my sentiment, but my formulation could use a little work in most cases, as of late.
There is no general doctrine which is not capable of eating out our morality if unchecked by the deep-seated habit of direct fellow-feeling with individual fellow-men. -George Eliot

Meh... it was like half joking half just because... whatever that means.

Brandon
brandon....

Introducing my kids to Arm would be like shooting up in front of them.
"You will have useful work: the destruction of evil men. What work could be more useful? This is Beyond; you will find that your work is never done -- So therefore you may never know a life of peace."

~Jack Vance~

I'm pretty sure my kids would think Arm is lame anyway. Watching someone else play a text-based online game is not the most riveting experience.

But in any case, I agree with FuSoYa in so much as to say that: Well behaved children = !Mature well behaved grown-ups.

People make their own choices, even little children. If a child kills someone and says they did it because playing Armageddon told them to ... I still don't think it's Armageddon's fault, or the parents of the child who let them play Armageddon's fault ... because if Armageddon hadn't told them to do it, the toaster-oven, television, favorite sock puppet, or glass of orange juice would have.

And there are countless examples of children who were horrific growing up turing into wonderful adults ... there are countless examples that go the other way too, and many many shades of grey inbetween.

Plus that old African saying really holds true: It takes a village to raise a child. Once they start getting out of the house, they get exposed to a whole lot more than their parents will ever even know about.

I'm not saying parents shouldn't try to raise their children the best way they know how. They certainly should, and I'm glad my parents did! But ... just don't be too surprised/upset when and if your children choose to break from the mold you've so carefully fashioned for them.

Err ... /derail
Quote from: Marauder Moe
Oh my god he's still rocking the sandwich.

I chose 10-12 myself. Not because it's a concrete thing. But really it would be more based on the maturity they showed. I don't, however, think that anyone under that age should be allowed to. And, truthfully, up until about 14, I would want to try and monitor things. I understand that a lot of people think that just because someone is under 18 they lack maturity. But, really, it wouldn't be so much for the kid, it would be for others, more of a, hell-no you don't consent! type thing. Because, truthfully, a lot of 13 year olds would more than happily not only consent, but instigate. And really, the idea of having my pc screwing some other pc doesn't bother me, it does bother me that it may or may not translate to being a crime. And no, I don't have kids, I am going based on my own choices, maturity, vocabulary, interests, and views from about the age of ten on.
Quote from: Wug
No one on staff is just waiting for the opportunity to get revenge on someone who killed one of their characters years ago.

Except me. I remember every death. And I am coming for you bastards.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote from: Reiloth on July 04, 2008, 09:02:45 PM
Introducing my kids to Arm would be like shooting up in front of them.

This seems like an adult game to me. 

"The Highlord casts a shadow because he does not want to see skin!" -- Boog

<this space for rent>

Quote from: My 2 sids on July 08, 2008, 06:38:16 PM

What qualifies it as an adult game? Do you say that becuase you do not think under 18s (or there abouts) are not mature enough to RP properly? Or just don't understand the game enough to RP well?
A horde of Inix turn and stampede straight at you....KRATH!

Quote from: Inix77 on July 09, 2008, 01:50:13 PM
Quote from: My 2 sids on July 08, 2008, 06:38:16 PM

What qualifies it as an adult game? Do you say that becuase you do not think under 18s (or there abouts) are not mature enough to RP properly? Or just don't understand the game enough to RP well?

Actually, I think it's because I tend to view all high schoolers as, well, kids.  As an adult _I_ don't want to do a lot of violent/ drug/ sex - themed interactions with kids.  I know I can't always tell, and I still love Arm, but I just feel a bit uncomfortable Role-playing something I'm not sure I'd role play in real life with kids.
"The Highlord casts a shadow because he does not want to see skin!" -- Boog

<this space for rent>

I wonder how the "appropriate age range" figures would compare to the actual distribution of age and how much correlation or discrepancy we'd have.
"But I don't want to go among mad people," Alice remarked.

"Oh, you can't help that," said the Cat: "we're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad."

"How do you know I'm mad?" said Alice.

"You must be," said the Cat, "or you wouldn't have come here."

Some one should start a "how old are you" poll thread.
Quote from: Marauder Moe
Oh my god he's still rocking the sandwich.

Quote from: musashi on July 09, 2008, 08:40:52 PM
Some one should start a "how old are you" poll thread.

Too OOC  :P God I've wanted to say that.
A horde of Inix turn and stampede straight at you....KRATH!