The ARM random character concept generator

Started by Gimfalisette, April 16, 2008, 11:47:45 PM

Quote from: Hot_Dancer on April 17, 2008, 03:10:57 PM
It's a great little tool, just take one or two lines from each gen and substitute other stuff to your fancy. I'd like to see how long staffers stay logged in when the current sway of pc's are looking to attain 20 lovers though.

Staff: "...Stupid generator, they're alll mudsexxing again. I'm going to go watch a movie."

Like that is any different than now?  ;)
This post is a natural hand-made product. The slight variations in spelling and grammar enhance its individual character and beauty and are in no way to be considered flaws or defects.

Some thoughts on the generator, these thoughts are not official staff position...

One of the hurdles we have with getting active new players, is getting them to actually try the game.  We have a  number of people who create an account, but never go on to create a character.  It would be nice to leverage technology to get them past that huddle.  One thought was to have a system that would allow a new player to generate a character.

There are upsides and downsides to this approach.  If we are not careful we could end up with cookie cutter characters and degrade the quality of the game. This is always a concern.  I have further thoughts on this, but this is not the appropriate venue to discuss them.

That being said, I'm going to present a couple of challenges if you want.  One, see if you can generate a written background based on the selections.  Two, see if you can do something similar with the description.  The best way to avoid cookie cutters is to have the widest variety of options.

Once again, these are my  ideas, not official staff positions.
This post is a natural hand-made product. The slight variations in spelling and grammar enhance its individual character and beauty and are in no way to be considered flaws or defects.

Who has a link to the webpage where the author has a lot of different ways to describe everything, from eyes, to nose, to feet, to skin, to hair, etc... If those can be input also..

What color of eyes?
What color of skin?
ETC.

It would be more awesomer.
Quote from: Shoka Windrunner on April 16, 2008, 10:34:00 AM
Arm is evil.  And I love it.  It's like the softest, cuddliest, happy smelling teddy bear in the world, except it is stuffed with meth needles that inject you everytime

Quote from: Belenos on April 17, 2008, 03:51:19 PM
Some thoughts on the generator, these thoughts are not official staff position...

One of the hurdles we have with getting active new players, is getting them to actually try the game.  We have a  number of people who create an account, but never go on to create a character.  It would be nice to leverage technology to get them past that huddle.  One thought was to have a system that would allow a new player to generate a character.

There are upsides and downsides to this approach.  If we are not careful we could end up with cookie cutter characters and degrade the quality of the game. This is always a concern.  I have further thoughts on this, but this is not the appropriate venue to discuss them.

That being said, I'm going to present a couple of challenges if you want.  One, see if you can generate a written background based on the selections.  Two, see if you can do something similar with the description.  The best way to avoid cookie cutters is to have the widest variety of options.

This is exactly the kind of stuff I was thinking about, Belenos. The character concept generator originally came to me as a "Show newbies what kinds of things are possible in ARM" idea, in order to encourage engagement with the game.

brytta and I are already working on a sdesc and description generator, as in we've agreed to work on it together, but not much beyond that. It's a little more involved than the character concepts. I'm going to toss in personality descriptors too.

I also wouldn't want to see cookie-cutter characters, but I think with sufficient randomness and an elegant application of technology we can get past that if this is ultimately judged to be helpful stuff.

Anyways, we'll see what we can do.
Quote from: Vanth on February 13, 2008, 05:27:50 PM
I'm gonna go all Gimfalisette on you guys and lay down some numbers.

Quote from: Maybe42or54 on April 17, 2008, 03:56:43 PM
Who has a link to the webpage where the author has a lot of different ways to describe everything, from eyes, to nose, to feet, to skin, to hair, etc... If those can be input also..

What color of eyes?
What color of skin?
ETC.

It would be more awesomer.

http://web.archive.org/web/20010803151936/http://www.ci-n.com/~darklyn/armageddon/char.html

THere you go!

Brandon
Quote from: Ghost on December 16, 2009, 06:15:17 PM
brandon....

you did the biggest mistake of your life

Anybody want to list some of the Absolutely No-Go combinations?  Not the oh-that's-a-stretch things; those are interesting.  But the ones that just absolutely don't fit the gameworld.

Also, more list items would be excellent, especially ideas for some of the less-common roles (desert elf, for instance).
The sword is sharp, the spear is long,
The arrow swift, the Gate is strong.
The heart is bold that looks on gold;
The dwarves no more shall suffer wrong.

Quote from: brytta.leofa on April 17, 2008, 10:45:56 PM
Anybody want to list some of the Absolutely No-Go combinations?  Not the oh-that's-a-stretch things; those are interesting.  But the ones that just absolutely don't fit the gameworld.

Any nonhuman race + psionicist:  http://www.zalanthas.org/gdb/index.php/topic,29124.0.html
Mul + any nonmundane guild:  http://www.zalanthas.org/gdb/index.php/topic,28312.0.html  (needs to be a special application)
Quote from: LauraMars on December 15, 2016, 08:17:36 PMPaint on a mustache and be a dude for a day. Stuff some melons down my shirt, cinch up a corset and pass as a girl.

With appropriate roleplay of course.

Hahaha, somehow the 20 lovers ambition totally makes me think of the Sims 2.  :P

Nifty tool though!

Quote from: Akaramu on April 18, 2008, 09:09:10 AM
Hahaha, somehow the 20 lovers ambition totally makes me think of the Sims 2.  :P

Shhhhhhhh
There is no general doctrine which is not capable of eating out our morality if unchecked by the deep-seated habit of direct fellow-feeling with individual fellow-men. -George Eliot

Quote from: Akaramu on April 18, 2008, 09:09:10 AM

Unashamedly, I admit I took inspiration from there.

Human Rinth --> Merchant --> Whore --> Military Leader.

Only in Arm could this happen!

That's like the ultimate Byn character right there.

First go, and here is what I get:
Male.
Half-elf.
Labyrinth.
Assassin.
Former raider.
Life's ambition is to have twenty lovers.

That's the most badass character I have ever heard of, ever. I'm totally making him.
EvilRoeSlade wrote:
QuoteYou find a bulbous root sac and pick it up.
You shout, in sirihish:
"I HAVE A BULBOUS SAC"
QuoteA staff member sends:
     "You are likely dead."

Is this tool still around? Googlepages seems to have taken it down. I remember it being pretty nifty and I was going to suggest it to pyrogaeseus in their post on Player Announcements.

Yeah, Google took it down because it had "offensive content" or something. ROFL. I haven't figured out what to do about it next. Ideally it would be on the website...perhaps I will attempt to pursue that.

August 22, 2008, 10:18:08 AM #41 Last Edit: August 22, 2008, 10:20:15 AM by Cavus
Quote from: Belenos on April 17, 2008, 03:51:19 PM

There is no need to have concept generator or something else to support newbies. All we need is I think:
1. Give newbie player a chance for creating a generic char
2. This generic char has:
a. Simple predetermined description (look, history, and sdesc(this may vary a bit))
b. short life span (they die in lets say 1 week RL time)
3. Print some essential commands and one single example of each command on screen when newbie logs in.(same after lets say 1RL week, no more messages)
Quote from: Sir DiealotHow 'bout, instead of stopping app special apps, because some people are morons, you just stop those accounts from Special Apping? It would stop the mongoloids from constantly bugging you...

Quote from: Cavus on August 22, 2008, 10:18:08 AM
There is no need to have concept generator or something else. Al we need is I think:
1. Give newbie player a chance for creating a generic char
2. This generic char has:
a. Simple predetermined description (look, history, and sdesc(this may vary a bit))
b. short life span (they die in lets say 1 week RL time)
3. Print some essential commands an one single example of each command on screen when newbie logs in.(same after lets say 1RL week, no more messages)

What?  No, I think that sounds like a horrible idea.  Give a new player their first character out of a box?  I don't even understand giving the character a short life span.  I don't know... they have the option to make their own background and sdesc and it's rather simple to do both quickly and succinctly if you are just rolling up a character to try out the game and world.

I don't know, I wasn't very eloquent I felt I just had to throw in my thoughts on that quickly.

Brandon
brandon....

August 22, 2008, 10:29:34 AM #43 Last Edit: August 22, 2008, 10:33:00 AM by Cavus
Brandon, the idea is to give them a chance to taste what it feels like living in Zalanthas. Life span should be totally IG ofc. They may get sicks for example. Or you may force them to be old char(age), etc.

At the end of 1 week trial period, they are still forced to create their own background, sdesc, ldesc, etc.

Imo, this won't have any drastic/devastating effect on realism of zalanthas IG life. In fact, it will make it more newbie friendly and give them more chance to stay in.

Note: Don't forget most people wants to see what they accept in the first very moments. If you buy a game, if u start reading a book, if you start watching TV, if you are MUDing ofc. If start is hard, most does not even try to get over difficulties. But if they get the taste of what expecting them, then they will since they will think that it definitely worths to their efforts.
Quote from: Sir DiealotHow 'bout, instead of stopping app special apps, because some people are morons, you just stop those accounts from Special Apping? It would stop the mongoloids from constantly bugging you...

No way.  Why would anyone want to invest time and work with other PCs when they are just going to get 'sick' or whatever and die within a week.  It doesn't make sense.  I'm sorry I just do not like the idea at all.  Shit, I don't even like this idea but if they had to have something like this I'd rather them make a mirror site for the MUD and let them learn on that.

What do you do if this new character falls in love with the PC they are playing, with the players they met with said PC, the group or clan they get pulled into?

Brandon
brandon....

Zalanthas is harsh world. Every day someone dies. It gives anice RP chance for the lover left behind. For the clan left behind.

Also, how long first chars of new accounts live do you think? I strongly believe that it is less than a week (most probably a few hours or a day on average) :)

Anyway, not every1 has to like someone else idea. So I accept that idea may be bullshit on your side :D

I'm totally in support of a random character generator to give newbies (heck, or even bored veterans) a boost in character creation.  It doesn't have to be integrated with the game either.  It can just be a website that spits out a description and background that the player can edit and then submit as a character.

I'm totally against a pre-determined lifespan, though.  Who's to say that a randomly generated character can't be roleplayed spectacularly?  Should people who apply for other player's family roles have a pre-set lifespan too because they didn't think up the character concept themselves?

My first character survived for RL months. I would have been pissed if she'd been forced to die.