About the elven market

Started by spicemustflow, April 03, 2008, 11:10:21 AM

I was just reading the Treatise on Elven Roleplay where it is stated that the notion that any non elves are killed when they try to find it is complete rubbish, as elves would be out of business in no time. That makes sense, but my experience, and that of the other players shows that a member of the other race has a very high chance to get a knife in the back trying to find the market. I'm not really sure if the culprits are PCs or NPCs, but in one case my char really didn't have anything worth stealing, so I assumed that the murderer was a PC. I think that the NPCs' scripts should be changed to leave other races who are trying to find the market alone (except if they are flaunting their bling like retards), and leave the harassing or roundears and such to PCs who may have a valid IC reason to do so.

I've never once had a issue with NPCs going there. Even as a human or half-elf. I was -told- to go there some times. It really depends on IC events as well. Could be the west-side and east-side are not getting along at the moment? Could be a corpse butt-bungling PC that just wanted to cork-screw your asshole. Either way.. The NPC scripts I have seen, only attack if you got something of value, which means if your a rinther walking around with that shit. Its your fault. Plus.. IC reasons mate.. IC reasons.. That PC could have a very good reason for wanting to kill you, or not. Who knows? That is the fun of the rinth!  8)
"Don't take life too seriously, nobody ever makes it out alive anyway."

...are we talking about the same elven market?
Quote from: ShalooonshTuluk: More Subtly Hot. If you can't find action in Tuluk, you're from Allanak.
Quote from: Southie"In His Radiance" -> I am a traitor / I've been playing too much in Tuluk recently.

That's what I'm saying. I allow PC's to have their own reasons, but there is a NPC that is very aggressive, race wise, I'm sure it's an NPC I see him all around the rinth. I'm sure I wasn't wearing anything of value, my PC was a rinther too, and everything he had was bought in the rinth. Hm, alright maybe I'm wrong, if people can go there with human chars, and not counting stealth.

April 03, 2008, 12:51:37 PM #4 Last Edit: April 03, 2008, 01:17:41 PM by Ueda
Eastside elven NPC's will kill you because its the elven territory...

Though I bet a few elves could recover your blade from the elven market or go purchase whatever is in the market that you need. for a small fee... :) If it's all IC though.
Quote from: FiveDisgruntledMonkeys
Don't enter the Labyrinth.
They don't call it the Screaming Mantis Tavern to be cute. It's called foreshadowing. First there's screaming, then mantis head.

Trouble with goons? Take a posse.

There are NPCs who are violent towards humans and elven territory, and there are NPCs who are violent towards elves in human territory.

-shrug-

Get good at sneak.  ;)

Another thing, I'm wondering, suppose you wear a piece of armor too valuable for the rinth. If you cover it with cloak, are you going to be relatively safe?

I think the answer to that is yes... Though I'm not really sure. I'm also pretty sure some of the NPC's have the 'Peek' Skill. But I'm not positive about that either.

The Rinth is full of pick-pockets and ne'er-do-wells. It's safe to assume at least some of them have the peek skill, so don't think that covering your silt-horror plate with a shitty cloak is going to save your life.

If you're wealthy enough to have shit that Rinthers would kill for you shouldn't really have much reason to hit up the Elven Market. Consider how exceptionally out-of-character it'd be for most southside dwellers to even consider going there, let alone know that it exists.

Well, I don't need to wear a jewel encrusted silt horror plate to be considered a mark, I was attacked before for wearing a lot cheaper things. And it is perfectly IC for my char to hang around the elven market, though I obviously can't go into any details.

At the time this document was written it may well have been referring to the Elven market that used to exist directly off the main Allanaki market, not the _other_ elven market where you can get killed for being too short.
I was with Kul on that trip.

The elven market is not exactly capitalist.
She wasn't doing a thing that I could see, except standing there leaning on the balcony railing, holding the universe together. --J.D. Salinger

Quote from: Armaddict on April 03, 2008, 09:09:09 PM
The elven market is not exactly capitalist.

In Elven Market, items buy you!

В рынке Elven, покупка деталей вы!

sorry, couldn't resist.

I didn't call it communist.

Just keep in mind that while some things may make a business gain more money faster, that may not be necessary for whatever their particular business goal is.
She wasn't doing a thing that I could see, except standing there leaning on the balcony railing, holding the universe together. --J.D. Salinger

Quote from: veryalien on April 03, 2008, 11:09:22 PM
В рынке Elven, покупка деталей вы!

sorry, couldn't resist.

Mangled the phrase too. Boo computer translation!

QuoteВ рынке Elven, покупка деталей вы!

На эльфийском рынке, вещи покупают вас.

Quotesorry, couldn't resist.

Me neither.

What elven market? The old one doesn't exist anymore -- the elves that are left won't trade with roundears. If you want to trade with elves, you can do that anywhere.

Quote from: Kalden on April 06, 2008, 05:59:44 PM
What elven market? the elves that are left won't trade with roundears.

IC? Or is this suppose to be publicly known?
Quote from: FiveDisgruntledMonkeys
Don't enter the Labyrinth.
They don't call it the Screaming Mantis Tavern to be cute. It's called foreshadowing. First there's screaming, then mantis head.

It's been gone for a year or so. Maybe it's precious IC info, but I've always found its lack to be annoying and hope the damn thing could be revived.

It's IC info although it may as well be in the updated docs at this point.

All of this stuff is terribly IC, even still. There are reasons behind everything.
"You will have useful work: the destruction of evil men. What work could be more useful? This is Beyond; you will find that your work is never done -- So therefore you may never know a life of peace."

~Jack Vance~

Use common sense when trolling the rinth, things of value get you killed, obviously. For everything else, it is truly best that you find out IC.

Don't ruin the surprise.
For FantasyWriter:
Never again will I be a fool, I will from now on, wrap my tool.

In Labyrinth, surprise ruins you!

A rough idea of "knowing about the elven market".

Most Allanakis would know about the elven market - something which they've heard off, something which they know exists, but have no idea where it might be.

Most Rinthers would know about the elven market - know where it is, but best avoided, unless they're good enough to get in and out of there without getting into trouble and/or have a reason to go there in the first place.

All in all, its not a big secret, its just a small out-of-the-way place.
The figure in a dark hooded cloak says in rinthi-accented Sirihish, 'Winrothol Tor Fale?'