>Who Idea

Started by RogueGunslinger, April 01, 2008, 01:03:09 AM

I'm just going to throw this idea out there, because i'm not even sure how much I like it. But instead of >who telling you the ammount of people in the game, how about it tell you how many people are in the game near you.

>who
QuoteImmortals
---------
The glowing Nessalin Nebula flickers eternally overhead.

There are 1 visible Immortals currently in the world.

There are 14 players currently the Rinth, other than yourself.

Or

Immortals
---------
The glowing Nessalin Nebula flickers eternally overhead.

There are 1 visible Immortals currently in the world.

There are 23 players currently in/around allanak, other than yourself.

Just an idea

It would be kind of cool for off-peakers, and stuff..
So they are not idling in the tavern hoping someone out of the 12 people online shows up.. When they are all in Allanak/Tablelands..
"Don't take life too seriously, nobody ever makes it out alive anyway."

I think it would personally be cool to be able to type in someones sdesc to see if they are logged in. So then you won't go needlessly knocking yourself out over someone who you can't talk to anyhow. That's just me.
Quote from: Wug
No one on staff is just waiting for the opportunity to get revenge on someone who killed one of their characters years ago.

Except me. I remember every death. And I am coming for you bastards.

Quote from: AmandaGreathouse on April 01, 2008, 01:52:45 AM
I think it would personally be cool to be able to type in someones sdesc to see if they are logged in. So then you won't go needlessly knocking yourself out over someone who you can't talk to anyhow. That's just me.

No, thank you. There are some good reasons to want to hide your login status, especially from the whole world in general.
There is no general doctrine which is not capable of eating out our morality if unchecked by the deep-seated habit of direct fellow-feeling with individual fellow-men. -George Eliot

I like 'who' being vague. I remember the days when who would tell you how many people from your clan were logged in, and it was just rife with abuse. I'd prefer not to go back to that.

-Irulan
Mal: "Well they tell you: never hit a man with a closed fist. But it is, on occasion, hilarious."
---
Inara: "Thank you for the wine. It's very... fresh."

Mal: "To Kaylee, and her inter-engine fermentation system."

Quote from: Irulan on April 01, 2008, 08:28:20 AM
I like 'who' being vague. I remember the days when who would tell you how many people from your clan were logged in, and it was just rife with abuse. I'd prefer not to go back to that.

-Irulan

Are you talking about the clan who? Which still exist in game and is used by a couple clans...
'who c'   ???

If you are not talking about that.. Then.. Uh.. No idea, What your talking about.

Quote from: Tisiphone on April 01, 2008, 01:53:42 AM
Quote from: AmandaGreathouse on April 01, 2008, 01:52:45 AM

No, thank you. There are some good reasons to want to hide your login status, especially from the whole world in general.

Amen.  It's bad enough already.  Who likes logging in to a barrage of psi's?  I don't.

Find a cave/hole/remote place
Skillspam spells.
Who to check if someone is in your area.
If someone is, stop spamming, do something innocent
If no one is, keep spamming.

Quote from: Folker on April 02, 2008, 02:29:02 PM
Skillspam spells.

This makes me say.. NO! BAD IDEA!!

While I'd love to know where the online population was so I could go seek out RP and know I have a hope of finding it. While I would really love to know exactly who was online so I could find the people I need without having to spam contact constantly to try and break the barrier of someone who isn't even logged in...

Totally no. Because the cons out-weigh the pros by far. Namely because while I would love to find other people...I don't always want them finding me.  ;)
Quoteemote pees into your eyes deeply

Quote from: Delirium on November 28, 2012, 02:26:33 AM
I don't always act superior... but when I do it's on the forums of a text-based game

Quote from: BlackMagic0 on April 02, 2008, 03:22:41 PM
Quote from: Folker on April 02, 2008, 02:29:02 PM
Skillspam spells.

This makes me say.. NO! BAD IDEA!!

This makes me say... I hope we don't have many of such twinks in our playerbase.

(To add my opinion about the idea: I play off peaks and I don't really care about such command.)

Quote from: Maso on April 02, 2008, 03:37:51 PM
While I'd love to know where the online population was so I could go seek out RP and know I have a hope of finding it. While I would really love to know exactly who was online so I could find the people I need without having to spam contact constantly to try and break the barrier of someone who isn't even logged in...

Totally no. Because the cons out-weigh the pros by far. Namely because while I would love to find other people...I don't always want them finding me.  ;)

Does it not say...

"Something blocks your blah" or some such message...
When someone has a Barrier up?  ???

Or does the staff love me so much that they only give me that echo?   :-* Love you guys, of course.

No on the Sdesc, but yes to the original idea of knowing how many people are near you.  

I think it might be cool for "who" to both show you how many people are in the gameworld total and also show you how many people are in your "area"...

Quote from: Elgiva on April 02, 2008, 03:40:15 PM
(To add my opinion about the idea: I play off peaks and I don't really care about such command.)

My reason behind saying yes at first was for this... Then I thought of the cons vs pros.. And the cons just win in sheer bah-ness..
:'( :'( Sad to think people actually twink like that.

At the very least.. Make it only tell how many are in the North, Tablelands, or South.. Not anything else..

What would be the IC explanation for Joe Kadius to know exactly how many people are awake in the northern hemisphere?

I think 'who' is already an OOC command put in place for playability's sake.   A very few clans can justify 'who c' through IC means.  Anything more specific than the current system would be too implausible for me.
Quote from: manonfire on November 04, 2013, 08:11:36 AM
The secret to great RP is having the balls to be weird and the brains to make it eloquent.

Quote from: Ourla on April 02, 2008, 04:05:37 PM
What would be the IC explanation for Joe Kadius to know exactly how many people are awake in the northern hemisphere?

The same reason they know how many are in the gameworld, total.  For playability, also.  Although I guess it really isn't that big of a deal since you can just do "contact (blah blah)"...(I don't know how it will be in Arm2, however). But then, if you are sitting in a tavern waiting for people to show up then it might be nice to know that on a particular night there are 10 people wandering around tuluk or the northlands and you may want to sit in your comfy spot in the tavern a while longer... as opposed to a night where there's 1 and you don't feel like tavern sitting for no reason. ;) 

I honestly don't see the point in the >who command at all right now. It server practically no use. Changing it to how I suggested would at least let you know if you were the only one around in southlands, and if waiting around to RP was viable. The idea of players watching it to see if they can spam-cast or not is pointless, those people would and do do it either way.

Exactly... very good point, since the player base is so widespread.  It would give some functionality back to the command.  I kinda dislike the widespreadedoutedness of the playerbase and hope it is not the same in Arm2.  I think this issue is being addressed, though, so kudos to the staff once again.  I hope plans to remedy this will work.

It's going to suck if it's 50 people mudsexing in one tavern :D

Quote from: veryalien on April 02, 2008, 10:33:16 PM
It's going to suck if it's 50 people mudsexing in one tavern :D

It's going to suck, grope, lick, and penetrate.

I wouldn't want anyone's sedescs just shpwing up with the who command, that would be something I would dislike. But typing it in, and being able to check, I think would be great. Or perhaps, if you were contactng someone who wasn't logged in, and were successful, perhaps you could get a message along the lines of "you cannot find the tall, fat man's consciousness anywhere in the known world", or even something such as them appearing to have a barrier up? Maybe I just enjoy psi'ing too much.  ???
Quote from: Wug
No one on staff is just waiting for the opportunity to get revenge on someone who killed one of their characters years ago.

Except me. I remember every death. And I am coming for you bastards.

It may work if you had an ooc toggle to turn off your participation on who. That way players with particularly powerful enemies wouldn't be in the danger they'd normally avoid with less predictable log in times.
Anonymous:  I don't get why magickers are so amazingly powerful in Arm.

Anonymous:  I mean... the concept of making one class completely dominating, and able to crush any other class after 5 days of power-playing, seems ridiculous to me.

I'm ambivalent to the idea of knowing how many people are in my 'area' of the MUD - as long as that area is a city, town, or encampment.  You shouldn't be able to see 'Four people are hanging out in the Red Desert.'

I am very opposed to people being able to know any which way whether my character is around other than seeing me or being able to contact me.  Even when I was in a clan with 'who c' I found the who c to be very, very annoying to me as a player more than I found it to be useful.
"Last night a moth came to my bed
and filled my tired weary head
with horrid tales of you, I can't believe it's true.
But then the lampshade smiled at me -
It said believe, it said believe.
I want you to know it's nothing personal."

The Chosen

As an off-time player, I think it'd be helpful to know if the ten people who play when I do are somewhere near me. I'm not saying give exact locations but I really see no issue with knowing how many people are in one of the cities/encampments. Anything further, I would be apposed to. Hell why not just cut out mentioning anything beyond a city wall, period. I think that'd be an acceptable compromise for everyone.
Quote from: Tarx on April 13, 2008, 11:43:02 PM
The longer a PC lives, the more likely they will die to something stupid.

-ginka's law

Edit: Deleted because it said the same as OP
Lazy me didn't read it all
Carpe Diem - Fish of the day