Author Topic: Mundane emotes  (Read 3143 times)

Mundane emotes
« on: April 21, 2003, 11:59:24 PM »
Alright, the hairpin es thread got me thinking about this... how many people think it would be fun to emote the normal things a character would do that most people don't emote, just to scare someone? Okay.. for instance... we have the lady with a normal hairpin, playing a massust (Massage person, however you spell it) and a noble who knows there are hairpin stabby items. Then the lady emotes messing around with her hairpin and removing it, then says that it was itching her or something. And the player, knowing that the some hairpin items could be used as a weapon might think there was going to be an assassination attempt. But since it's probably normal for hairpins to bother someone when they wear it, it would be normal for them to take it out. So on the noble's player's part, I think it'd be a fun little experience, the little thrill of an assassination attempt, minus the attempt.

I don't know... things like that, just emoting everyday things that don't normally get emoted, stubbing toes, jamming fingers, tripping, adjusting a belt, drawing a weapon to adjust the belt, then putting it back in, fidgeting with those knee-high sheathable boots, scratching at something under your sleeve on your forearm... you know... all potentially big situations, but actually simple, everyday things.

So maybe the point of this post really is, emote more mundane stuff, that way, when the mundane is being used as a coverup, people can use it. Better yet, just emote more mundane stuff, just because it's mundane and it does happen.

5 day lifespan

Mundane emotes
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2003, 12:41:12 AM »
One of the guys I mentioned in the "Making the world real for you" thread used to chew a red leaf like tobacco.  All virtual, of course, but hed make this huge preduction of rolling the leaf, chewing it, spitting it out.  Ive seen rinthers pick lice out of thier hair, and in one instance, eat it.  The game has people like that, but it could have more.  Im all for that.  I think Ill take your suggestion to heart next time Im on.
You'll never find a more wretched hive of scum and villany.  Except for maybe Allanak."

-Anonymous

creeper386

Mundane emotes
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2003, 03:34:41 AM »
I've seen situations like this before, although none really stand out in my mind that have happened in my mind. I do know somethings my thief on another mud used to do alot, and sometimes he'd end up stealing something, other times he didn't. Althought it somewhat lulls the player OOCily into things, it's a good way to get the character to be more relaxed when stuff happens or always jumpy because he thinks for the worse. Drunkenly reeling about with an elven theif on a Forgotten Realms based MUD was a GREAT way to steal, :-p, take his suggestions to heart.

Creeper
21sters Unite!

Mundane emotes
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2003, 05:20:39 PM »
Yeah, 5 day, I know who you're talking about, I played with him, always thought he did a great job with that. I personally try to mess around with stuff that might be bothering me, items and such, backpacks, weapons, those wide brimmed surmacs (If they are indeed bee-keeper-like like AC said) and gloves and whatnot. Agitation is what I'm about...

Plazgoth

Mundane emotes
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2003, 05:24:12 PM »
Thats why you need to play a D-elf Tony and run darn near naked through the desert. Zero agitation!

crymerci

Mundane emotes
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2003, 09:05:15 PM »
Quote from: "Plazgoth"
Thats why you need to play a D-elf Tony and run darn near naked through the desert. Zero agitation!

See, I think that would be even worse. Just imagine, the sand would get everywhere.
I think we might need to change World Discussion to Armchair Zalanthan Anthropology.

Vositus

Mundane emotes
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2003, 03:05:13 PM »
Personally, I like drawing my weapons to clean them, then accidentally dropping it...

Stroker

• Posting Privileges Revoked
Mundane emotes
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2003, 04:28:08 PM »
Hmm, funny that you mention my friend and myself actually do this constantly, because if you don't emote the mundane things, what are you going to emote ..... nothing.
musashi: It's also been argued that jesus was a fictional storybook character.

Moe

Mundane emotes
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2003, 05:00:49 PM »
A lot of times when I'm sitting around doing nothing... (which happens a lot because a lot of times I idle, and do other things) I tend to emote things I am doing in real life. Like coughing, or sneezing, or scratching my ass. Its a good way to alleviate bordem.

-Moe the Schmoe
 :evil:  :twisted:
I wish it hurt to be dumb.

Malifaxis

• Thoughts of the Sixth Age
Mundane emotes
« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2003, 03:00:53 AM »
Personally, I always try to emote some little environmental change that's localized to my character... such things as an ocassional nose bleed, a sore throat, some lip-tint smudged on my cheek from a previous encounter... if I get dung all over my shoe, sure as heck I'm going to emote about it for four or five rooms as I try to stomp it off, or grind it off with the pavement, whatever.  I think it enhances the game a lot, atmosphericly.

And then there's those wonderful little jewel like moments where it comes back for you:

em raises a few handfuls of water to his face, scrubbing some of the grime from his countenance.

You feel refreshed as drops of water glitter in your jet-black beard.

Thanks to whoever did that... still one of my favorite little moments.
Yes. Read the thread if you want, or skip to page 7 and be dismissive.
-Reiloth

Words I repeat every time I start a post:
Stop being shitty to each other.

Cuusardo

Mundane emotes
« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2003, 12:45:57 AM »
This thread has inspired me to occasionally emote the little things that people don't usually do.  For example, attempting to move away from a tense situation and clumsily banging a body part in the process will sometimes make a great conversation starter.  :lol:
Quote from: Anael
You know what I love about the word panic?  In Czech, it's the word for "male virgin".

spawnloser

Mundane emotes
« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2003, 02:39:19 PM »
I hope this doesn't give away who I am to too many people, but hey, I sneezed the other day.  Perfect excuse when I screwed up my crafting skill right afterwards.
Quote from: Malifaxis
We need to listen to spawnloser.
Quote from: Reiteration
spawnloser knows all

Quote from: Spoon
A magicker is kind of like a mousetrap, the fear is the cheese. But this cheese has an AK47.

Thirsty_McTandu

Mundane emotes
« Reply #12 on: May 18, 2003, 09:26:05 PM »
I think it's a good practice to not only emote the mundane things, but to try as much as possible to develop the atmosphere of the area you are in when you emote.  The bustle of the busy tavern, the stench of kank-crap, the clamour of merchants for your sids when you're in the market.  Whatever you can do to not only make your person believable by the WORLD believable.  :-)
ou want some raptor fries with that?