>tell <item> <message>

Started by Tomeglow, January 23, 2008, 07:43:39 PM

Who else would like to reference items with the "tell" command? I constantly find myself wanting to talk to items as I solo RP.

tell body (heaving a deep sigh as she wipes ~knife off on ~cloak) Amos, I told you to stop sneaking
around town with that floozy.

I can see the utility in it.

But similar -can- already be done just by using "say." Seems to me like "tell" is really mostly so a player knows something is directed toward them...and objects don't care if we're talking to them.

Edited to fix the annoying scroll bar in the code window.
Quote from: Vanth on February 13, 2008, 05:27:50 PM
I'm gonna go all Gimfalisette on you guys and lay down some numbers.

Quote from: Gimfalisette on January 23, 2008, 07:51:54 PM
...and objects don't care if we're talking to them.

Most objects.   ;)

Seeker
Sitting in your comfort,
You don't believe I'm real,
But you cannot buy protection
from the way that I feel.

Yes, I would like tell to be able to reference objects.

I'd also like if it could target unconscious people.

QuoteYes, I would like tell to be able to reference objects.

Yes, please. Besides, its a pain in the ass to have to go say (to ~melon) Just you an me Wilson, just you an me.

And If you could title objects...Oh...that would be TOTALLY SWEET.

Title melon Wilson
you have named a melon wilson....crazy bastard.
say Ah, Wilson is da best.
Someone says Who the fuck is wilson
hold wilson
you hold a melon
say This is wilson
look crazy guys's wilson
you se a melon with a face carved on it
A gaunt, yellow-skinned gith shrieks in fear, and hauls ass.
Lizzie:
If you -want- me to think that your character is a hybrid of a black kryl and a white push-broom shaped like a penis, then you've done a great job

Quote from: X-D on January 23, 2008, 10:04:17 PM
QuoteYes, I would like tell to be able to reference objects.

Yes, please. Besides, its a pain in the ass to have to go say (to ~melon) Just you an me Wilson, just you an me.

And If you could title objects...Oh...that would be TOTALLY SWEET.

Title melon Wilson
you have named a melon wilson....crazy bastard.
say Ah, Wilson is da best.
Someone says Who the fuck is wilson
hold wilson
you hold a melon
say This is wilson
look crazy guys's wilson
you se a melon with a face carved on it

I would like to be able to do that.  Naming weapons especially.

title dagger Blooddrinker!
You have named a flimsy wooden dagger Blooddrinker!.

I like it.
Quote from: Vanth on February 13, 2008, 05:27:50 PM
I'm gonna go all Gimfalisette on you guys and lay down some numbers.

It's sad, but I would use this a lot.
The sword is sharp, the spear is long,
The arrow swift, the Gate is strong.
The heart is bold that looks on gold;
The dwarves no more shall suffer wrong.

Titling weapons would be super rad. Yes!

This would suck. We already have enough keyword confusion.

It's not hard to say (to ~object).

It does interrupt the flow to have to. Hell, nothing worse then tell amos YOU WILL DIE...HACK HACK HACK
Beep
tell corpse Fucking told you!
(whatever message of thats not here idiot)
ooc Fuck
say (to ~corpse) Fucking told you.

And really, what keyword problems, least with title, unless somebody is really trying to abuse it some how by like walking into an area and grabbing a bunch of rocks, titling them all gith then dropping them where a bunch of gith are.

Course even that is simple to deal with, hell, I think its already the case that objects are parsed last.
Lizzie:
If you -want- me to think that your character is a hybrid of a black kryl and a white push-broom shaped like a penis, then you've done a great job

Use say without bothering with parentheses? Do you think people would really be confused as to who you are talking to? :p

You'd think after a certain point, you would start to remember that you can't use "tell" on corpses. ;)

Quote from: X-D on January 24, 2008, 04:37:24 AMCourse even that is simple to deal with, hell, I think its already the case that objects are parsed last.
QFT.
Wynning since October 25, 2008.

Quote from: Ami on November 23, 2010, 03:40:39 PM
>craft newbie into good player

You accidentally snap newbie into useless pieces.

Discord:The7DeadlyVenomz#3870

January 24, 2008, 01:10:17 PM #13 Last Edit: January 24, 2008, 01:16:00 PM by X-D
Kaldon, You have never sat in a bar and talked for a RL hour then spent the next 10 minutes after leaving getting
But you are not sitting at a table!
message?

Point being, why must it be a pc/npc and awake to use tell?

Because its an OLD Diku hold over, thats why. When it was all hack and slash you did not RP you had no reason to tell an object/sleeping pc/npc anything.

We are going to have a new mud. Why not just make it simple?

And what about when I just want to whisper something to  Wilson? thats actually impossible right now. Your  only choice is to fake it and go
Emote whispers something to ~melon.

Problem with that is, though it looks good, its not possible to everhear the message
And while we are on the subject. I would like to be able to tell/whisper self as well.

Currently you get...
whis self This is a test.
You can't seem to get your mouth close enough to your ear...

This is silly. whisper self should come off as:
whis self  Lord Fancypants is an idiot.
Mumbling under your breath you say,"Lord fancypants is an idiot'"
Lord Fancypants sees:
The greasy haired man mumbles something to himself.Lord fancypants Aide sees:
You hear the greasy haired man say to himself in northern accented sirihish,"Lord Fancypants is an idiot."

tell self Testing.
Why talk to yourself?

That one would be great if the code handled it for you but at the same time is the only one I don't minds just using say and (). Cept the message you get then sort of sucks, just does not have the right feel. So much nicer to see
You tell yourself in sirihish as you look around the cell, "Fuck, no more calling nobles Idiots."

Lizzie:

OK, you win. It wouldn't really mess with keywords. It would probably be easy to do. I'm all in favor of it, if the coder feels like it.

I still can't shake the feeling that it's basically not necessary, however. There are much cooler things that could be changed. No offense.

Cut-n-paste from Arm 2, taken this morning:

>inventory
You are carrying a dog skull.

> syntax tell
Syntax: tell <target> <message>

> tell skull hi
You say to your dog skull:
     "hi"

Already ahead of you on this one.
Morgenes

Producer
Armageddon Staff

Quote from: Morgenes on January 24, 2008, 01:37:31 PM
> tell skull hi
     "hi"

<3

And "whisper me"?
The sword is sharp, the spear is long,
The arrow swift, the Gate is strong.
The heart is bold that looks on gold;
The dwarves no more shall suffer wrong.

Quote from: brytta.leofa on January 24, 2008, 01:42:31 PM
> tell skull hi
     "hi"

<3

And "whisper me"?

No whisper command yet, but when it goes it, it'll likely match tell in syntax/general functionality.  But, for the record, 'tell me' does work.

> tell me test
You say to yourself:
     "test"
Morgenes

Producer
Armageddon Staff

Quote from: Morgenes on January 24, 2008, 01:44:11 PM
Quote from: brytta.leofa on January 24, 2008, 01:42:31 PM
> tell skull hi
     "hi"

<3

And "whisper me"?

No whisper command yet, but when it goes it, it'll likely match tell in syntax/general functionality.  But, for the record, 'tell me' does work.

> tell me test
You say to yourself:
     "test"

<3

WEEEEE
Lizzie:

You rock, doc.

>inventory

> syntax tell

> tell skull hi
     "hi"

Wooo!

After this thread, I want to test if 'touch self' works and if yes, what kind of echo it gives.  :P

>inventory

> syntax tell

> tell skull hi
     "hi"

Remember Pet peeves. Capitalisation and punctuation please.
Carpe Diem - Fish of the day

Quote from: Simple on January 27, 2008, 01:40:07 PM

>inventory

> syntax tell

> tell skull hi
     "hi"

Remember Pet peeves. Capitalisation and punctuation please.

Is there something I'm missing?  I don't see any issues with the cut-n-paste I provided.
Morgenes

Producer
Armageddon Staff

Heh. Your 'hi' wasnt capitalized. It's supposed to be 'Hi' :P

Quote from: Folker on January 27, 2008, 10:43:33 PM

Oh...My...God...How can I live with myself.  I must comit sepaku for such an offense.  Arm 2 will just have to code itself without me.

</sarcasm>
Morgenes

Producer
Armageddon Staff

Quote from: Morgenes on January 27, 2008, 11:15:06 PM
Quote from: Folker on January 27, 2008, 10:43:33 PM

Oh...My...God...How can I live with myself.  I must comit sepaku for such an offense.  Arm 2 will just have to code itself without me.

</sarcasm>

Seppuku.

Sorry, I had to.

This is an automated response from Morgenes' answering service.  Morgenes is dead, having comit suicide, please call back in his next lifetime.
Morgenes

Producer
Armageddon Staff

And, uh ... you didn't put a period on the end ... but what can you do about it now?

You're dead.

Nice work on the ride code, Ghost.

Wait a minute ...

Morgenes, you should create a code that changes capitals into lower cases and periods into commas for the first day of Armageddon 2 just to get some revenge.

Oh man. Morgenes, while you're at it, can you set communication commands to automatically append a period to the end of any string that didn't end with a punctuation mark?

I always feel so embarassed when my PC says something like "Okay. Sure. Yeah, let's go get lunch"

Quote from: jstorrie on January 28, 2008, 05:20:50 PM
Oh man. Morgenes, while you're at it, can you set communication commands to automatically append a period to the end of any string that didn't end with a punctuation mark?

I always feel so embarassed when my PC says something like "Okay. Sure. Yeah, let's go get lunch"

So you guys really obsess over this?  What if you aren't talking in complete sentences?  What if you want to leave something trailing off?  It's certainly possible, but I guess I figure the quote (") is just as good of a sentence ender personally.
Morgenes

Producer
Armageddon Staff

Quote from: Morgenes on January 28, 2008, 05:25:05 PM

So you guys really obsess over this?  What if you aren't talking in complete sentences?  What if you want to leave something trailing off?  It's certainly possible, but I guess I figure the quote (") is just as good of a sentence ender personally"

Fixed.
New Players Guide: http://gdb.armageddon.org/index.php/topic,33512.0.html

Quote from: Morgenes on April 01, 2011, 10:33:11 PM
You win Armageddon, congratulations!  Type 'credits', then store your character and make a new one

What if you aren't talking in complete sentences?  What if you want to leave something trailing off?  It's certainly possible, but I guess I figure the quote (") is just as good of a sentence ender personally.
Nope. To trail a sentence, in a literary fashion, periods are used in sequence, like this ...

Yeah, if my PC is interrupted I end the sentence with a dash, like so -

Or an ellipsis with interrobang...?!

Or some sort of similar indicator of a serious break in conversational rhythm OH SHI–

So you guys really obsess over this?  What if you aren't talking in complete sentences?  What if you want to leave something trailing off?  It's certainly possible, but I guess I figure the quote (") is just as good of a sentence ender personally.

The problem is that most people who do this are probably just lazy and aren't bothering to punctuate the end of their sentences at all, whether it's supposed to be a complete sentence, question, trailing sentence, incoherent gibberish or not.  So you just don't know.  It drives me just as nuts as the people who don't capitalize.  Unfortunately the two usually come together in a heinous package of nutsdrivery.
Was there no safety? No learning by heart of the ways of the world? No guide, no shelter, but all was miracle and leaping from the pinnacle of a tower into the air?

Virginia Woolf, To the Lighthouse

I disagree. I have maybe seen one player who didn't use periods at the end of their sentences due to laziness. And they were an extreme newbie. I have seen a few do it by mistake. And I honestly never skip a beat in reading sentences without a period at the end

Quote from: RogueGunslinger on January 29, 2008, 01:03:10 AM
I disagree. I have maybe seen one player who didn't use periods at the end of their sentences due to laziness. And they were an extreme newbie. I have seen a few do it by mistake. And I honestly never skip a beat in reading sentences without a period at the end

I see what you did there.
There is no general doctrine which is not capable of eating out our morality if unchecked by the deep-seated habit of direct fellow-feeling with individual fellow-men. -George Eliot